Permanently hub ALL servers FOREVER

General SS13 Chat
itsswagga
Byond Username: Swaggaboy112

Permanently hub ALL servers FOREVER

Post by itsswagga » #713781

When will the sekrit club bullshit end? What's the point of Terry and Sybil having infinite max players if you can't see the servers on the hub and need to google "tg ss13" every time?

TG is the gold standard for SS13 since 2010. The server isn't even affiliated with 4chan or /tg/ anymore.

It's a win/win for all parties. LRP servers get more players, and suffer less lowpop. MRP players get more RPing buddies who come from all the other servers (only TG and Goon are LRP, /vg/ is dead). Campbell will have actual players rather than one Engi doing an autism project for 5 hours

Pop begets pop. If people see Terry has 70 players on, more will join. It's necessary for a healthy community.

There's literally no downside and I haven't seen any arguments other than boomers saying "fuck you hub bad". If it's too much work for admins hire more, there are plenty of good boy players (even on Terry) who can admin
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Re: Permanently hub ALL servers FOREVER

Post by Turbonerd » #714229

It's so the population doesn't get filled by hubbies.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #714259

Hub bagil?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #714261

itsswagga wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:58 am When will the sekrit club bullshit end? What's the point of Terry and Sybil having infinite max players if you can't see the servers on the hub and need to google "tg ss13" every time?

TG is the gold standard for SS13 since 2010. The server isn't even affiliated with 4chan or /tg/ anymore.

It's a win/win for all parties. LRP servers get more players, and suffer less lowpop. MRP players get more RPing buddies who come from all the other servers (only TG and Goon are LRP, /vg/ is dead). Campbell will have actual players rather than one Engi doing an autism project for 5 hours

Pop begets pop. If people see Terry has 70 players on, more will join. It's necessary for a healthy community.

There's literally no downside and I haven't seen any arguments other than boomers saying "fuck you hub bad". If it's too much work for admins hire more, there are plenty of good boy players (even on Terry) who can admin
not if they're all like you.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #714281

Turbonerd wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:29 am It's so the population doesn't get filled by hubbies.
Whats a hubbie?
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #714292

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:17 am
Turbonerd wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:29 am It's so the population doesn't get filled by hubbies.
Whats a hubbie?
People that use the hub.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #714441

itsswagga wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:58 am need to google "tg ss13" every time?
Do you not know how to bookmark servers on Byond? That's been a feature forever.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #714476

This is almost as bad of an idea as splitting the servers into LRP/MRP was.

Almost.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #714500

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:21 am This is almost as bad of an idea as splitting the servers into LRP/MRP was.

Almost.
You only say this because the recent rulings cater to MRP over LRP. Shouldn‘t you want a larger divide?
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #714504

feaster wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:28 am
datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:21 am This is almost as bad of an idea as splitting the servers into LRP/MRP was.

Almost.
You only say this because the recent rulings cater to MRP over LRP. Shouldn‘t you want a larger divide?
I think that the divide in the first place was a mistake, lowering the quality of all the servers by arbitrarily separating the people who crave violence and the people who want to roleplay. SS13 needs a healthy mix of these types to really thrive imo.

Speaking on experience from the LRP side of things, risks in the name of a cool story/gimmick are less likely to result in cool roleplay moments and more likely to result in getting dunked, because the average player chases their valids like a starving dog chasing beef jerky down the street.

Speculating on MRP, people are likely more trusting because the average antagonist can't just walk into your department and dumpster the entire place, leading to roleplay I would find generally less satisfying due to things that don't make a lot of sense.

I preferred the game when it was mixed; there were downsides, like getting slaughtered by local murderboner #18274 with a desword in the middle of roleplaying, but I still think it was better then than now.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
itsswagga

Post by itsswagga » #714505

warbluke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:22 pm
itsswagga wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:58 am need to google "tg ss13" every time?
Do you not know how to bookmark servers on Byond? That's been a feature forever.
I know how to Ctrl+O, but the thing is, I shouldn't need to do that.
Also, Byond Bookmarks do not show the server MOTD/status, round time, or players, you have to check the TG site for that
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #714578

itsswagga wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:58 am When will the sekrit club bullshit end? What's the point of Terry and Sybil having infinite max players if you can't see the servers on the hub and need to google "tg ss13" every time?

Our servers hub at lower populations (if we're not panic bunkered), they auto dehub past a certain pop point.

The point of "infinite" max players is a joke, nothing exists that can store infinite information and the actual capabilities of the server are infinitely more modest ; atmos, mobs and projectile subsystems already chug at high (70+) populations when the round gets busy, we hit 120-130 pop once and it all went horribly wrong including people being unable to get up after being knocked down. 70 probably still remains a good high pop number, much past that the performance can get noticably worse.

Also I'd argue the game isn't really designed for much past this pop level either ; to take a not that much bigger (globally speaking) extreme example imagine 200 players on metastation with 120 assistants all bored and rioting / breaking into departments because they couldn't get their job, and there isn't even enough space or terminals for all those people to do their job. Yes, we could make more job slots, bigger maps (and not just North Star bigger, every department needs twice the facilities it currently has even on North Star), the server performance would grind, but as it stands nowadays the game is probably optimally aimed at a pop that just fills most of the job slots, and I suspect thats probably landing around 70 too.

The servers that have room to grow are Basil and Campbell and at those pop levels they should be on the hub whenever we're in a "normal" configuration.

So both of those are arguments against going too much higher, thats not to say the 90-110 pop chaos rounds aren't cool, but they do tax the server and probably push the limit of what we can muster without things more seriously starting to fall apart.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #714972

WHats wrong with being a hubbie?
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #715016

the infinite is not a joke, it's been set like that since we got threaded maptick, which significantly reduces the amount of time spent per player. we get no guarenteed td up to 100 pop rn
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #715202

this is a config option anyways so you'd probably want to go here viewforum.php?f=33
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
itsswagga

Post by itsswagga » #717085

Terry, Sybil, Bagil have been on the hub for a while now. Player counts are up. I see a lot of new people in OOC asking for help.
This is good and this is how it always should be

I request that Manuel and Campbell also be hubbed. They are both MRP (admins should also write MRP in the server name) compared to the chaotic and crazy Terry
We get a lot of new players on Terry who get upset that someone RDM'd them (antag murderbone) or frustrated at the lack of roleplay. Manuel and Campbell are perfect for these players.

There MUST be an option on the hub for players who want roleplay, hate random antag murderbone and constant round-ending (plasmaflood, delam, etc.)
I get that Manuel has a clique/community but it is not healthy for TG or SS13 as a whole for it to NOT be on the hub.

MRP players need an option that isn't boring-ass Paradise where nothing happens. Goon 3 is Gooncode, Yogs and Bee are both running 2-3 year old TGcode and are missing a ton of newly developed TG stuff.

So I humbly request MSO to put Manuel and Campbell on the hub. With [MRP] in the name.

Also if any admins want to move this thread to Policy Discussion feel free.

The perma-hubbing of Terry, Sybil, Bagil has been a phenomenal success and it should be applied to all TG servers and stay that way. TG is quite literally the face of SS13, apart from Goon
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #717122

Permanently shut down ALL servers FOREVER
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #717137

the servers auto hub themselves when player counts dip I will not be checking back in this thread.