Do people not buy Syndicate Encryption Keys anymore?

General SS13 Chat
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Do people not buy Syndicate Encryption Keys anymore?

Post by Luke Cox » #139992

I haven't seen anybody get the syndicate key in a few weeks. I always get one immediately at roundstart if I'm a traitor, and the channel is dead. I remember everybody buying them for a while after their cost was reduced. Why did they fall out of favor? Just being able to listen in to security and command is immensely useful, and it always helps to have a buddy. Is there a reason people aren't getting them? Am I missing something? They are in my opinion the single best traitor item by far, both in value and utility.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Re: Do people not buy Syndicate Encryption Keys anymore?

Post by leibniz » #139994

Well, traitors could receive a notice when someone buys one.
Or maybe it should be refundable by using your key on your unlocked uplink.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #139995

they should be free, so here's a key giveway

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/13603
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #139996

People just need to stop buying shitty holoparasites and get the keys instead.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #140000

I buy them when I don't meme with the random crate.

I roll traitor so rarely though.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #140005

nobody buys syndikeys? why though?

i mean, there's a pretty good chance that you will hit the jackpot and get a syndicate AI, which is of course like 50 TC worth of power as long as you can bargain with it, and even if you can only get one other human it's easily worth the 2 tc.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #140006

Takeguru wrote:I buy them when I don't meme with the random crate.

I roll traitor so rarely though.
Random crate is way too fun to not have a guaranteed encryption key in it. Oranges, put that in there instead.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #140007

i don't buy syndicate encryption keys anymore for one specific reason. I was a traitor one time, bought a key, a binary key and a hacked AI module. I got into contact with other agents and then subverted the AI. Everything was going great, AI was doing an amazing job as a subverted AI without drawing unwanted attention, other traitors helped me with their objectives and i helped with theirs. Shuttle gets called, think we're about to get greentext. Suddenly security officers out of fucking no where, i get taken down and killed, fellow tator bros get taken down along with AI. Ghost to sec and see a traitor Lawyer ratting us out. The round ends and shows us our gear. Traitor Lawyer has a syndicate key, obviously was listening in on us and ratted us out in exchange for being exempted from law. Further supported by two other traitors getting green text and not having syndicate keys. Nothing could be done either because, "tritor", "valid", "suppose to back stab".

After that, it no longer felt worth it, if all the syndicate key was going to do is increase my risk of being caught.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #140012

I could make the channel anonymous, although I don't know how much it would help
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #140014

Cik wrote:nobody buys syndikeys? why though?

i mean, there's a pretty good chance that you will hit the jackpot and get a syndicate AI, which is of course like 50 TC worth of power as long as you can bargain with it, and even if you can only get one other human it's easily worth the 2 tc.
Funny story about that, actually. One time, I was a traitor AI and a bunch of people got keys. We collaborated and killed our targets, but after about 15 minutes I realized it was double agents. Knowing that one of them would come after me eventually, I systematically killed them all. Every. single. one.
Cuboos wrote:i don't buy syndicate encryption keys anymore for one specific reason. I was a traitor one time, bought a key, a binary key and a hacked AI module. I got into contact with other agents and then subverted the AI. Everything was going great, AI was doing an amazing job as a subverted AI without drawing unwanted attention, other traitors helped me with their objectives and i helped with theirs. Shuttle gets called, think we're about to get greentext. Suddenly security officers out of fucking no where, i get taken down and killed, fellow tator bros get taken down along with AI. Ghost to sec and see a traitor Lawyer ratting us out. The round ends and shows us our gear. Traitor Lawyer has a syndicate key, obviously was listening in on us and ratted us out in exchange for being exempted from law. Further supported by two other traitors getting green text and not having syndicate keys. Nothing could be done either because, "tritor", "valid", "suppose to back stab".

After that, it no longer felt worth it, if all the syndicate key was going to do is increase my risk of being caught.
Traitors need to be considered soft team antags. It's one thing to kill another traitor for gear, but this is blatant metagaming. If they key ends up in sec's hands and they use it, it's fair game. If a traitor buys one specifically for sec and they accept it, the traitor and sec who go along with it should both be banned under rule 1. Traitor for blatant griefing, and sec for letting an antag go deliberately. This sort of behavior ruins the round for everybody.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #140017

Luke Cox wrote:and sec for letting an antag go deliberately.
I was with you up until this. Regular traitors aren't a problem if you strike a deal with them. Generally identifiable and can keep track of them.
It's when sec starts trusting lings is when I start to wonder if they're fit for the job.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #140018

Saegrimr wrote:
I was with you up until this. Regular traitors aren't a problem if you strike a deal with them. Generally identifiable and can keep track of them.
It's when sec starts trusting lings is when I start to wonder if they're fit for the job.
Eh, fair enough. Still though, the behavior that he described should be grounds for an immediate ban.

And the HoS in that scenario was a fucking amateur. What you do, is you strike the deal, catch all the antags, and offer the double agent a congratulatory drink, only for him to discover that it's laced with a lethal dose of poison from his own uplink when he drinks it.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #140023

Luke Cox wrote:What you do, is you strike the deal, catch all the antags, and offer the double agent a congratulatory drink, only for him to discover that it's laced with a lethal dose of poison from his own uplink when he drinks it.
I wish there were "badass tokens" that I could hand out for people who actually manage to pull shit like this off.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140026

Saegrimr wrote:
I always strike a deal with any traitor who isn't in for bombing or murder.
I also always keep my end of the bargain, because redtext hunting is objectively shit.

If I'm not loyalty-implanted I tend to passively accept lings. As Chaplain, I usually trade my life in exchange for body disposal access and harmless diversions, and haven't gotten burned yet.
Typically because the ling gets found, at which point I duck into the nearest disposal.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #140031

never trust a changeling, once they get caught they'll spill everything they know

I used syndikeys a few times in the past, knowing exactly what Command and Security are up to is extremely useful but I wish the Syndicate channel would get more use too
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140034

Thing is, once the changeling spills its guts all evidence of its crimes is already ashes.
Which I dutifully clean up and claim the changeling must have been thorough in not leaving traces while I was out proselytising.

Alternatively, I burn the shipping manifests, claim it broke in for the 'lathe, shit like that.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #140063

I buy them all the time to rat out other tators to security.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #140064

Lumbermancer wrote:I buy them all the time to rat out other tators to security.
This is probably one of the reasons why most people don't talk over the syndicate channel.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #140065

Probably not because only I do that.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140070

...suddenly Luke's idea of fucking over a traitor for collaborating with sec seems very appealing.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #140073

Whatever gets the job done.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140078

>tfw you realise even as traitors secplayers are playing shitcurity

Why didn't I figure this out sooner.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #140084

Since you can hear adjacent radio channels, any tator with a syndie key is easily identifiable in the most mundane of circumstances unless you toggle the syndie channel constantly (and even then, the other channels are a dead giveaway - "assistant-san, why do you have access to the command channel?".

Thus, if even a single tator with a key gets arrested by a vaguely aware security guard, they'll notice that they have a syndieradio, take the key, and root out every single traitor that speaks.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #140086

DemonFiren wrote:>tfw you realise even as traitors secplayers are playing shitcurity

Why didn't I figure this out sooner.

>tfw someone doesn't want to participate in forced team mode and rather plays solo because fucking others over is more entertaining

Welcome to ss13.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #140087

I stopped buying them when it became common for certain security officers to search traitors for them. It's very easy to check a headset on an otherwise confirmed traitor, and it then means that anyone who speaks gets silently tased and beaten to death.

It's no fun getting killed for trying to coordinate with other players, some of whom actively want to kill you despite you being on the same side, so why bother? Even command/security channel isn't that useful if it's the one thing that gives you away in a search.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #140098

Only time I ever used one I got fucking rekt by Francium and a tater AI after I gave them all access because I was the AI's target. Never used one since
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #140112

We already have like 10 team antag modes I can't believe people are seriously discussing enforcing cooperation in traitor.

Or I guess I can believe it with all the meta antag checks/protected roles/team huds but it's still dissapointing to see more demand for team death match
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #140113

I'd rather have "team cooperation" than "team deathmatch". Traitors working together to complete their objectives, break each other out of perma, hide evidence... not just four people running around with laser guns shooting everyone.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #140114

I stopped using syndicate keys after I got killed because it was DA. I really like them conceptually but if their whole purpose gets you killed 40% of the time it's just not worth it.

Also it's not that we want enforced cooperation, it's that we want some kind of protection from regular traitors, not DA's, from ratting us out and ruining the round for everybody because all the antags died in 10 minutes.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #140118

TheNightingale wrote:I'd rather have "team cooperation" than "team deathmatch". Traitors working together to complete their objectives, break each other out of perma, hide evidence... not just four people running around with laser guns shooting everyone.
>enforcing a team up of traitors vs sec isnt team death match but letting traitors backstab eachother somehow is

Okay
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #140119

TheNightingale wrote:I'd rather have "team cooperation" than "team deathmatch". Traitors working together to complete their objectives, break each other out of perma, hide evidence... not just four people running around with laser guns shooting everyone.
Yes, I'm all for that, when it takes effort. Having a radio channel like this makes cooperation effortless.

If you walk up to me and say codewords, I will gladly team up. Always did. Ask Pax.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #140120

I asked about making traitors see codewords in a different colour, but it wouldn't be possible - it'd scan on every say, then check to see if each person hearing it is a traitor or not, and then highlight it for them. Saying a codeword over comms would make everything go horribly wrong. Since that can't exist, codewords will rarely be used - they're like the syndicate key but weaker (harder to detect, harder to use, no comms listening-in), and there's no guarantee another traitor won't hear you and rat you out.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #140131

i'll buy them if you buy them first, shithead
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140146

Zilenan91 wrote:I stopped using syndicate keys after I got killed because it was DA. I really like them conceptually but if their whole purpose gets you killed 40% of the time it's just not worth it.

Also it's not that we want enforced cooperation, it's that we want some kind of protection from regular traitors, not DA's, from ratting us out and ruining the round for everybody because all the antags died in 10 minutes.
You're a shitposter, but this here you got right.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #140165

please dont' derail the thread with a policy discussion
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #140169

I have better shit to spend my points on than a dice roll for a potential ally/enemy/nothing.

Like seriously, I've never once bought the keys. It's just not worth it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #140181

There is one way of getting in touch with other traitors to team up, no encryption key required
1. Wait for someone to suicide in HoP line
2. Steal their PDA
3.Message everyone code words using their PDA
4.Wait for someone to respond with proper code words
5.meet them
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #140187

Helios wrote:There is one way of getting in touch with other traitors to team up, no encryption key required
2. Steal their PDA
5.meet them
>everyone reports codewords to security
>security goes to snoop on messages
>finds guy who responded with codewords

Well done James Bond.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #140192

Make the voice changer gas mask 1tc.

Boom now you chat all day on traitor channel... as your target.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #140197

What if the voice changer and encryption key could be purchased as a 3-4 TC combo?
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #140200

until the syndikey is free it will not be commonplace
make it free and anonymous.
it'll foster lots more roleplay i fuckin' assure you.
I play Boris Pepper.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #140211

free/anonymous/in the mind like binary/unable to be used by non antag
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #140219

Lumbermancer wrote:
Helios wrote:There is one way of getting in touch with other traitors to team up, no encryption key required
2. Steal their PDA
5.meet them
>everyone reports codewords to security
>security goes to snoop on messages
>finds guy who responded with codewords

Well done James Bond.
From personal experience, people respond with fake code words that they guessed.
How does sec find out that the code response isn't "brig doctor's delight" and is actually "Engineering Whiskey"
Cik

Post by Cik » #140222

well i mean there's always the arrest everyone option

which they'll probably do.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #140234

Once I rolled traitor AI and got to help out my little traitor buddies do traitor things. That was only a couple weeks ago and 2 of them had headsets.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #140386

Amelius wrote:Since you can hear adjacent radio channels, any tator with a syndie key is easily identifiable in the most mundane of circumstances unless you toggle the syndie channel constantly (and even then, the other channels are a dead giveaway - "assistant-san, why do you have access to the command channel?".

Thus, if even a single tator with a key gets arrested by a vaguely aware security guard, they'll notice that they have a syndieradio, take the key, and root out every single traitor that speaks.
Actually Syndie keys are silent, people can scream "Turn down for what?" on the Syndicate/Command channel while you're standing next to the HoS and he won't hear it. Not unless they changed things *very* recently and haven't made a changelog (ban coders 2016)
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #140442

Cik wrote:well i mean there's always the arrest everyone option

justice is blind and in a berserker rage
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #140504

IcePacks wrote:
Cik wrote:well i mean there's always the arrest everyone option

justice is blind and in a berserker rage
and shockingly well armed and appears to be setting a lot of things on fire
ah, wait, that's not justice, that's justice's cousin, blind murderlust
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #140545

maybe just remove syndicate keys? it sounds like i'm not the only one who's had that issue. unless there's going to be a policy change to traitor (like making those with synidcate keys illegal to rat others out), it's just pointless. It's a big "rat me out" object. Seriously if you take the key just to rat others out, you have no room to complain about "being forced into coop antags"
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Cik

Post by Cik » #140549

i've cooperated with more people than i've been betrayed by.

it's in everyone's best interest to cooperate, unless it's DA

in which case it's DA that's a risk w/e