New Tech: Wavedashing

General SS13 Chat
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

New Tech: Wavedashing

Post by PKPenguin321 » #172959

Wavedashing is a technique that allows you to more easily avoid taser projectiles, especially when saxxing. It relies on the Rest verb, and comes with the drawbacks of slowing your movement and causing you to drop whatever is in your hands.

Proper wavedashing looks something vaguely like this.

Understanding the principles behind wavedashing:

First, the principles of projectiles and hitboxes.
When shooting at a target, there are two hitboxes to keep in mind: The tile the target is on/tiles behind the mob you're firing at, and the mob itself.
Spoiler:
Note that images in this guide are spoilered due to size.
In the above image, I outline the hitbox of the floor tile. In the below image, I outline the hitbox of the mob itself.
Spoiler:
If you look at these images side by side, you'll notice that the floor hitbox is much larger than the mob hitbox. When you take into account the fact that ANY tile behind the target mob will still hit it, the hitbox becomes even larger:
Spoiler:
Now, you're likely thinking that judging by this, you should always aim for the tile hitbox rather than the mob hitbox. However, the tile hitbox has a large drawback: if the target is prone in any way, your projectile will pass over them instead of hitting them.
Spoiler:
If you actually target the mob itself (which has a much smaller hitbox and is harder to click), your projectile will hit them regardless of if they're laying down or not. However, if the target is up and running, your projectile can still be strafed.
Spoiler:
These factors of tile shots on prone targets missing, mob shots being hard to land, and mob shots still being dodgeable if the target is moving, are all key components behind wavedashing.

So how do you wavedash?

Well first you're gonna want one of these bad boys:
Spoiler:
You need it for the extra buttons. Any mouse will work, as long as it has an extra button.

Secondly, you're gonna want to play in non-hotkey mode. This tech works best with arrow key controls. This is because the input requires you to bind the keys "R E S T ENTER" to one of your extra mouse buttons. Usually mice with extra buttons come with software to handle binds for you, but the actual process of creating the binds is up to you. If you play in hotkey mode, your bind will have to be "TAB R E S T ENTER TAB" which requires more inputs and disrupts your mob's movement (because you move with WASD, but can't use those keys to move while hotkey mode is off, which it is for a few frames while the bind executes).
tl;dr: Play in non-hotkey mode, bind an extra mouse button to "R E S T ENTER."

From here, the input is simple: Just move with the arrow keys and mash your Rest bind as fast as you can. You will move while also retaining a prone position for the majority of your frames, meaning that you can strafe AND retain invulnerability from tile-directed shots.

Your hitboxes will also look like this depending on your state:
From left to right: Standing state (worst), resting state (good), horizontal resting state (best). Notice in the image with hotboxes shown, the circles get progressively smaller. The smaller your hitbox, the harder you are to hit. Not shown: States between resting/getting up where your sprite is diagonal, horizontal standing state (slightly better than normal standing, but worse than both resting states).

Wavedashing is optimally employed when moving at a high speed. Since it lowers your speed, if you already have any speed debuffs (such as one from low HP), you'll move very slowly and be more vulnerable to mob-clicks.

Due to the rapid changing of standing to resting states, mob clicks will be made more difficult. Tile clicks won't hit you at all due to being prone. Successful mob clicks can still be dodged due to the fact that your character is still moving. This makes wavedashing a very potent method for evading fire while approaching/retreating from an enemy with a ranged option.

Other applications of wavedashing include slipping past enemies that aren't on Help intent: Simply rest as you move to them, causing you to slide underneath them, then stand back up. Wavedashing is highly viable if you are in handcuffs, due to the fact that it does not require hands and that if you are in handcuffs you're often already saxxing from somebody.

I hope you enjoyed my guide! 20XX is upon us!
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: New Tech: Wavedashing

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #172961

dis aint new
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #172962

tfw you know how to do this but you are a lasy ass bitch
lying down to fat fats run over you is genius though
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #172963

how much of a loser do you have to be to script ss13
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #172964

tbh i should just hardcore a rest hotkey so you dont need the mouse thingy
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #172965

Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #172985

This is a poor strat anyway geez.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #173020

thank you for this thread that is obviously just an in-depth bug report and not a confession to exploit abuse through a macro, because that would be a bannable offence, haha
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #173026

pkp are you really this dense you fuck
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #173031

Yeah I really don't know what you expected here
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #173040

>Removing a main mechanic in competitive ss13
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #173045

that ain't falco
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #175452

Super Aggro Crag wrote:dis aint new
But new coders made the rest command as shit as it used to be pre-2012, so technically its new... and an exploit that lamers that abuse it should be banned for being the cancer they are.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #175453

Skorvold wrote:that ain't falco
HAPPY FEET! WOMBO COMBO! WHERE YOU AT!
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #175471

do i need to learn how to animation cancel to play this champion correclty???
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #176201

I'm kinda disappointed more people didn't laugh at this tbh
Limey wrote:its too late.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #176224

ColonicAcid wrote:do i need to learn how to animation cancel to play this champion correclty???
L2P SCRUMS!

Maybe we should remember that there are lots of powergamey exploits in a game that really isn't balanced well for its game elements and why there is so much push towards more RP.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #176233

ColonicAcid wrote:do i need to learn how to animation cancel to play this champion correclty???
If you don't memorize the inv frames you won't make it far in tournys
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #176273

lol pub shitter tech

If you want to play SS13 on official Faze servers you need to learn to dodge bullets by walking forward into them.
You'll never be MLG with this garbo. Enjoy your DQ for macros.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #176293

>4 years later and /tg/ still hasn't mastered catching bullets
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #176311

Qbopper wrote:I'm kinda disappointed more people didn't laugh at this tbh
yeah :oops:
Spoiler:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #176471

paprika wrote:>4 years later and /tg/ still hasn't mastered catching bullets
i have once managed to master the ancient technique of catching taser bolts in lockers and then grabbing them

if i remember correctly you could even throw them at people and they would get tazed

good shit
crack is whack but smacks got your back