Human Fortress 13, Masterwork edition

Talk about video games here
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Human Fortress 13, Masterwork edition

Post by Wyzack » #105201

So after Hammershield was eaten by demons and Axecarnage faded into obscourity after several years of not getting a single fucking invasion, i decided i want to run another community DF game. This one however is going to be set in a previous edition of the game with the masterwork mod active, and we will be playing as humans this time!

There are several perks to playing this version of the game. Invasions happen more regularly and in larger volumes, the mod contains a shitload of new FUN stuff like cults, plagues, all manner of new invaders and monsters, rebalances to farming to make complete self sustainability a little more difficult, and many more.

And this time around we will be humans! Fuck those vainglorious tree humping faggot elves, and the alchoholic bearded buffoons that tunnel below the earth! We are humans! We solve all our problems with a wall of pikes in front of a line of muskets, with piles of coin and massive battaries of cannons! Commerce and guns to push back the inferior races and claim what is rightfully ours!

Humans use money obtained from selling raw materials at market stalls to hire exotic craftsmen, buy crazy goods and set large industries. They can also force invasions if things get a little dull, which is always nice too. They can go underground for a time, but get bad cave adaptation effects quickly, so they must live above ground which means many opportunities for cool constructions.

If there is interest i will be starting in a week, when i get back from my vacation. Same deal as always, sign up in the thread here to get a human for yourself and we will vote on issues like what to build and produce. Brainstorm any cool ideas for out settlement and stuff as well, busy humans are happy humans!
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Human Fortress 13, Masterwork edition

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105206

Signing up for dorf fun
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #105207

Ayy dworf fort
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105209

You can name your human whatever you wish, if you don't pick a name I will use your forum name
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #105211

Nice it's always fun to watch the maddness of dwarf human fortress.

I shall be Galvatron The Mighty, throw me into a military unit as soon as you can so I can hammer things to death.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #105212

I can competently run a dorf fort for about two hours before everyone dies of thirst or something.

SIGN ME UP
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #105214

Signing on for dirty humie action
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #105217

EPONYMOUS REX THE HUMAN.

Mechanicals. WE must still make horrible dorf-like traps even if we live as surface humies. We must build a massive tower of stone, mortar and asshattery.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #105219

honk me up too. I'd like to be called "sticky is dumb" "Djingle Django". cool beans
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105221

Alright so because i am an impatient fuck and because lots of people have already signed up we are going to start this trainwreck a-rollin tonight. Hold tight while i generate a world with maximum fun
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105225

The Land of Moons has been created! We have invaders who can dig, invaders who can blow up walls, a million different flavors of evil invader including minotaurs, dire spider monsters and drow assassins.

Now we need to pick an embark. I am thinking something wild and full of trees so we have building materials. The most important choice we can make is our embark package, the stuff we start with.

There is one with lots of farming stuff, one with lots of weapons, and one where we spend all our embark points on a huge fucking cannon. Knowing this crowd i have a feeling what we are gonna pick.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #105226

Farming tools (or weapons) of course, what kind of madman would go into the wilderness with just a cannon, does that cannon even come with balls and gunpowder?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105227

The cannon comes with some ammo, but we also get a handful of food and drink. The thing about humies is that we are not alcohol dependant so as long as we have a river we have an infinite source of drinking water, so all we need is enough plants/meat/fish to feed the colony
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #105229

Why the fuck would we NOT take the cannon
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #105234

Because we want to breed cats like asshats.

I vote cannon
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105235

How does this look for an embark

http://imgur.com/ikwoph3

Wild swamp, untamed wilderness, probably full of giant monster animals. We bring the cannon, plus a few animals, an anvil, some tools and farming supplies. Seem good?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #105239

It's not savage, so I doubt we'll get giant animals.

I'm fine with whatever though
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #105249

I think were all know where the FUN lies.
my vote is cannon
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #105251

ayyyy, sign me up.

Also the cannon. Can we name it?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105263

And here we are

http://imgur.com/OmZ6Ndz

http://imgur.com/S94fddn

I will add in more people as they come, not much time to play tonight.

Alrigt so I am going to be gone for a week. When I come back we will get started in earnest, and I will do a proper introduction and all that. In the meantime brainstorm settlement layouts, project ideas, and good names for the two cannons. See you all in a week
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #105272

>Sticky as the leader

Check out that brown-nosing
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #105331

Expedition leader is assigned by RNG bruh, also sticky never admins basil anyways so I would never be able to cash in those metabuddy favours. If you want a crack at being the boss start coming up with a plan now, intrigue keeps these things interesting
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #105391

Naw, you can force a leader by giving them social skills at embark.

I was mostly joking.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #105401

Fuck sticky, geist will only up ruling all of you peons again anyhow. Why fight fate?!
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #105402

Once again, I must sheriff.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #105430

Sign me up brother
Robert Cop is here to bring order to these savages
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #105452

>In the meantime brainstorm settlement layouts, project ideas, and good names for the two cannons. See you all in a week

"The Man Cannon" when?
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #105541

Dungeons and gladiatorial pits por favor. Maybe some sweet-ass walls and a moat too, for the castle that I will inevitably rule over.
Mister_Doc
Byond Username: Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #105713

Throw my name in the pot, I love watching a good Dorfs game.
Matthew Rockatansky: Shitsec extraordinaire
Vladek Sapowski: Trust me, I'm an engineer
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #105746

sign me up as a person
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #105783

Sign me up yo.

Tornadium Axonium as character name.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #106098

I find building 11x11 3 story high building makes for great 4 room per floor hotels. One bed, Dresser, Window and thats it if you'r going to be a jew. When I'm really randy I make commi-blocks with 6 rooms per floor and make them all 6x6 to give it that apartment size goodness and deck it out with tables, extra beds for couples, thrones and other stuff. So make some commi-blocks like that for maximum capacity. And if buildings and Walls arent made out of stone you need to GIT GUD.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #106125

link
Last edited by TheWiznard on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #106387

Dont forget to make a 9x3 drawbridge over a 5 Z level down pit, always good to flip the switch when invaders and merchants comes and loot the remains. I'm not sure MF allows bridges to activate when people are on it though.

I always use this layout and it works, invaders sit on top of the bridge and if theyre all melee I close gate one and just send my ranged units on top of gate two to train. On the off chance they manage to break through the gate I always have a siege weapon pointed right down the middle of the bridge. Fucking bonus points if you can engineer a atom smasher to flood/drain in case of a undead siege. It never happened to me thankfully but I normally always try to set one up just in case.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107364

An excerpt from the diary of Stickymayhem Pisukor

16th of Opal, year 80 of our lord Daze Boltedpursuer

Dear Diary

I did it! I finally managed to navigate the bureaucratic mess that is our government and get clearance to found a new settlement! After pouring over charts and diagrams i have settled on a nice place in the Plains of Geardashed. Warm year round, possible iron and gold deposits, and surrounded by a shitty swamp which should turn away some would-be bandits and plunderers. There is still so much planning to do, but we should be setting out within the next month!

4th of Obsidian, Year 80 of our lord Daze Boltedpursuer

Dear diary, what a fucking day. We are approaching expedition launch time, so i went to the quartermaster with a list of supplies we would need for the journey. The plan was to bring several months worth of food and other supplies so we could concentrate on building up the settlement in the first year. He laughed in my face and told me the wagon was already loaded up and ready to go outside. I go out there and find six chucklefucks in a wagon. Apparently this Eponymous Rex guy is some Engineers guild dropout with an uncle in the government who needed a job, so he got set on the expedition list. Most of the wagon space is taken up by two fucking huge cannons and a pile of iron bars rather than useful supplies. Bloody nepotism is ruining this country. Whats more, they only packed a single cannonball. We have been on the road for a few hours now and i have been chatting with Takeguru the carpenter, they seem an alright sort. Maybe we will be okay.

1st of Granite, Year 81 of our lord Daze Boltedpursuer

Happy fucking new year diary. This might be the worst day of my life. We are still about a weeks travel away from the spot i had chosen for the settlement, and the wagon was really starting to strain under all the fucking weight we are pulling. We were travelling through some truly awful swampland, full of bugs and swamp trolls and stuff. Our guardswoman, Galvatron is pretty burly, but even i am not certain she could take one of them on. Anyways we are moving along and a man approaches our wagon. He looks like he has been through hell and back, obviously suffering from malnutrition and out of his fucking mind. He was brandishing a sharpened stick and demanding I hand over all my coin. I was about to politely tell him to fuck off when there is an awful explosion from the back of the wagon and something whizzed right past my head. Next thing i know the poor sod is blown to about 15 different wet chunks by a cannonball, the force of which managed to break all 4 wheels off the wagon and smash it up something awful. Apparently fucking Rex thought the man was a threat worthy of using our only cannonball on. We have no choice but to start the settlement here now, as repairing the wagon would take far longer than our supplies will last, and i am not certain the hearing will ever return to my left ear. I have decided to name the place Souldefences, in the vain hope that Daze will save our souls. I fucking hate these people

WELCOME TO HELL BABY, SS13 FORTRESS TAKE 3!
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107368

First thing is first, we begin to harvest the resources at hand. Aloraydrel digs a root cellar to store our food and begins on a nice quarry for some stone. Pretty much everyone else starts hacking down trees and chopping them in to planks at our wood cutting block, thereby maximizing our starting building materials. Each set of logs makes a few planks. Djingle Django also designs and creates a drawbridge over the river so we can reach the other side.

Now people have suggested that we build a fuckhuge wall around the whole settlement. I have done this many times, and while it is a good stratagy it is not really fun. Once you have a few good musketmen you just hide and shoot people down.

What i propose is instead digging a massive 2 wide moat around our entire city-to-be, with a few approaches guarded by towers. This way we are protected but not immune to invaders, and can control the flow of enemies without being able to stop it outright. Not the safest method, but after all losing is FUN
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107374

Also tripleposting with some important facts about human mode. Humans have possibly the greatest breadth of stuff they can do in the entire Masterwork mod, by way of buying the services and goods of the other races. This is done by selling raw materials for gold, or minting our own gold coins. The stuff we can dabble includes dwarven rune engraving, gunsmithing (best ability), actual magical sorcery shit (really tough to do), and oh so much more. Other races are interacted with via investing piles of cash in various guilds and foregn shops/workshops. Most of the information can be found in this diagram (trigger warning for insanely complicated)

http://i.imgur.com/LGRfFkY.png

The gist of it is that guildhalls unlock human techs, and foreign workshops and market stalls unlock tech from other races. There is a million different cool guilds, but the most important are the academic guild, the smithing guild and the merchants guild. The academic guild gives us the chemist lab which we need to make blackpowder for guns. The smithing guild lets us forge steel, greatweapons like polehammers and zwiehanders, and unlocks the blast furnace for smelting batches of stuff very quickly. the Merchants guild lets us have caravans from any race, as well as being able to call in seiges when we get bored.

So our long term goals should be to create a building we can use as a guildhall where we can set up our rather large guild buildings, and set up some local market stalls so we can begin exporting to make dat cash as soon as possible
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #107414

Anyone who doesn't think we should aim to build a big ass wizard/sorcerer tower is a dong, and should be used as ammunition for the cannons.

Edit: Make it like a medieval settlement, with the big keep/castle thing with walls, and the surrounding, less defended village around it.
Last edited by lumipharon on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107421

24th of slate. We have a few wood splitting blocks but it is pretty slow going with so few bodies. The plan is to build a rudimentary dining hall above the food cellar and then have the first few rooms on the floor above. Everyone is pitching in with the carpentry word. In the meantime Aloraydrel is cutting a quarry so we can get some stone and metal. Hopefully we will get some new bodies soon to make the work go faster

http://i.imgur.com/RuqxJch.png
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107428

Our first wave of migrants showed up as soon as we got the first set of rooms complete! Among their number is Scones the well rounded blacksmith who also has good axe skills for some reason and is a girl, Anon3 the sherrif who's beard keeps law and order and whom is getting used to tragedy already somehow, and Lumipharon the jack of all trades craftsman. We will work on getting a dormitory set up so everyone has a place to sleep until we get some actual housing set up. Are you folks ready to rush firearm production, because i sure am! Aloraydrel is searching for the needed minerals, and we will start generating some income by selling shit ASAP.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107429

Oh and as a side note i am only making playerhumans when interesting folks come along, i can force more people in if they wanna be random chucklefucks but it is usually not as interesting.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107434

The dormitory has been set up so everyone has a place to sleep. Djingle begins to create mechanisms for a much needed well, and after some pretty constant badgering by Eponymous Rex Scone forges a new pile of cannonballs. Aloraydrel's mine has finally hit stone, and they have begun to search for minerals. Dorsidorf has assumed the role of fortress Beurocrat, and has begun to take stock of the supplies. Anon3 tells Sticky of his grandoise plan for a massive guardhouse and jail, but Sticky insists that there are more pressing concerns at the moment, such as starting some cash flow. To that effect, some market stalls have been set up to get some gold flowing

http://i.imgur.com/q0KBCJF.png

I am pretty sure if anything attacks us that cannon is going to blow it away, but i have never used them before so we will see
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107439

A caravan and handful of diplomats come to the town in mid Galena. They seem surprised that the settlement was founded in such an awful swamp, uneasily eyeing the black Camen crocs floating down the river. Stickymayhem's eye twitches a bit when they bring it up and they do not press the issue. However, despite the fact that the so called town is really just two buildings, some market stalls and a big hole, the unthinkable happens.

http://i.imgur.com/MfGtXx9.png

That is right folks, they offer to make us a barony first year. Sticky gracious accepts the position as Baron, and negotiates for a gunsmith to be sent from the capital. A guildhall is set up to create a chemistry lab, time to mass produce FREEDOM!
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #107449

That's awesome, you made me download masterwork and start up my own human fort. I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I'm pretty sure one of my starting humans is a magic user, his magic skill in therapist is like 99.86% I don't know how to tell if he can actually use magic though because there are no creatures around at the moment.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107456

Aloraydrel and the random farmer that was press ganged into mining duty stop digging iron at the behest of the new baron to dig a massive moat around what will eventually be a sprawling city. Our coin we made selling ores was spent on creating and upgrading a chemistry lab, and it is nearing completion as well. Some dwarves come by to trade, we barter some fish for some meat, not much else we need from the shortbeards right now anyways. Stickymayhem, the new self elected baron has demanded better quarters, and constructing the guardhouse is on hold until they are completed.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #107460

Reading this makes me want to replay warlock fort again
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107529

Warlock fort is insanely fun but full of bugs. I do not think i ever successfully converted a ghoul. Plus the limited number of warlocks makes it not as suitable for a community game.

Here is a bonus snapshot of our current housing, the starting seven rooms are on the left
http://i.imgur.com/rqWXrMb.png
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107531

Oh shit! Galvatron the Mighty, commander of our militia is apparently into big guns because she is currently seeing Eponymous Rex, our Seige operator. Luv can bloom.

Praise the Miiners! The moat is done on one side of the river, and we found loads of saltpeter and gypsum! All we need to do is extract brimstone from gypsum and we can start making blackpowder for guns! The gunsmith has moved in to a shope near the mining area, and asks for iron to start crafting mechanisms. Lumi Pharon, searching for something more in his life, joins the academics guild to play with fire and explosives. Anon3 begins designing his guardhouse, which will sit by the southern fortress entrance
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107562

Spring has arrived, and with it, our first batch of elven traders come to ply their wares. Stickymayhem is currently super fucking stressed about not having holdings fitting a duke, but we managed to get him a throne in a big empty room so he could meet with the elven liason. Then this happened.

http://i.imgur.com/J082MPE.png

Holy shit fuck elves seriously. We do not have any firearms yet, and only one solider. Elven Caravans have actually badaass mithril clad guards in masterwork, taking them on in combat would be suicide. As is Sticky tells him to take his tree quota and shove it up his lily ass. Diplomatic relations are not improving.

Lumi has begun to synthesis sweet sweet black powder, we will have guns soon as well as mirants to fire them.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #107568

So we have two choices for our melee fighters at our shiney new garrison building. They can take guardsmen training, which costs 2500 gold and gives them a slew of benefits right away such as increased bravery, physical stats and combat skill learning speed increase. They can also become squires which is free, but has very few immediate benefits. After a few months they become a knight, and after a year they become a paladin. Overall the benefits are far greater but it is an investment of time. I post here becasue i am curious what Galv and Anon3 want for their dudes.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster