Sins of a Solar Empire

Talk about video games here
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Sins of a Solar Empire

Post by Zilenan91 » #190223

They released a new DLC a few days ago called Outlaw Sectors which adds automatic planetary militias and new smuggling mechanics. Loading that shit up, I remember this being really good last I played it and I'm very pleasantly surprised they're still giving it DLC.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire

Post by Zilenan91 » #190225

Smuggling in particular sounds pretty incredible and fluffy

You can specialize planets for it and what it does is it gives you 1.5 + 3% (extra levels of it) of the trade income of ALL empires in the whole game. Max 40% of all trade. Not very useful for 1v1 but for big games this sounds like it'll be a huge income boost.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #190319

After messing around with it the militia mechanic is SO good. It's like creeps in Dota 2. They may not really influence a battle too much, but they sure as hell help direct it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #190469

I love this game

But yeah, smuggling income can get ridiculous. It makes up most of my income in my current 8-player game

I slap all of my shitty "planets" with the smuggling specialization. All the cons you get are basically nil since those Asteroids barely make any income or hold population anyways.

The militias are pretty neat, and they're fun early-mid game, but lategame they can basically get ignored (But still spam you with alerts)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #190498

Smuggling isn't nearly that good for me. I'm making like 60 on everything but losing 55 on everything.

Then again I have over 120 trade income because I took over my star system so it hardly matters. And since militia are in the game now I've been doing my favorite rush, starbase trade rush. It takes a while to get there but once you're there you're basically invincible, especially since militia can help deal with shit that tries to mess with you in the meantime. After that just build capital ships and expand your starbase trade.

The reason starbase trade is so good is because at 2 upgrades in it (around 3.5k credits) it gives you, as a base, 3 credits per second. This doesn't in any way factor into the extra credits made from traveling between starbases. The ridiculous income you get for it falls off somewhat once you get a second starbase in the gravity well, with it only giving around 1.8 credits per second but that's still a shitload.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: