Elite: Dangerous

Talk about video games here
Malkevin

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Malkevin » #98898

Bottom post of the previous page:

An0n3 wrote:Yep. Trading is easy money. Stash a Type-6 somewhere close by your fightan ship for when you want to just cruise space and make money. I've got the Type-6 fitted up to go and the Diamondback Scout fitted up to crush faces.
I never manage to make money trading.

Not because I can't find profitable route, but just because after doing the same A-B-A only three times I'm already nodding off at the stick.
Really don't know how people manage to do it so much without being bored to tears.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #98904

Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:Yep. Trading is easy money. Stash a Type-6 somewhere close by your fightan ship for when you want to just cruise space and make money. I've got the Type-6 fitted up to go and the Diamondback Scout fitted up to crush faces.
I never manage to make money trading.

Not because I can't find profitable route, but just because after doing the same A-B-A only three times I'm already nodding off at the stick.
Really don't know how people manage to do it so much without being bored to tears.
That's a good question. I usually am blasting music or watching something on a second monitor.

It's sad because saying it's "Space Truckers" as in Eurotrucker 2 is a bold lie. Eurotrucker 2 is much more comfy and involved than flying shit around in Elite. Elite is pretty goddamn boring sometimes.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #98990

And that's exactly why I quit playing.

Spess trucking was fucking boring and I just couldnt get into making any decent steady money in bounties.
/vg/station Head Admin
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #98995

They fixed bounty hunting, now you can make decent money and have fun too

Join the power that gives you 20% extra bounty payout and you're set
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #99005

Are RESes as nerfed as people on the frontier forums have been moaning about?

Haven't really gotten around to playing much aside messing around with new mining
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #99008

I don't know how RESes were pre-powerplay patch, but I tried a high intensity RES for half an hour and not a single large wanted ship (python, asp) showed up, it could be a case of random spawning though. However, bounties for smaller ships are pretty high, 60k+ for a viper/cobra, 30k for an adder and up to 15k for an eagle, and there's plenty of them. Hell even sidewinders can give you 10k+ with a kill warrant scanner. And this is without powerplay bonuses. You can kill all these ships in less than 30 seconds using multicannons
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #99139

Watch muh fuckin' videos SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL

Seriously though that one I posted in this thread is like almost a straight hour of bounty hunting in a high-intensity RES. Like Grazyn said, I didn't see a single Anaconda but I have encountered enough 60k+ vipers that I can pop in seconds that IDGAF.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #99144

An0n3 wrote:Watch muh fuckin' videos SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL

What kind of nerd watches his owns videos
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #99173

An0n3 wrote:Watch muh fuckin' videos SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL

Seriously though that one I posted in this thread is like almost a straight hour of bounty hunting in a high-intensity RES. Like Grazyn said, I didn't see a single Anaconda but I have encountered enough 60k+ vipers that I can pop in seconds that IDGAF.
I just watched it
>hitting a RES while it's dark
last time I tried that I flew right inside a rock, TWICE, can't tell the distance in the dark and the headlights only work when you're meters away from the rocks
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #99570

I've been lazy about my bounty hunting. Literally just loitering at the nav beacon in Iadoal(or hwoever it's spelled, its next to Gateway) engaging anything with a wanted tag that I can take.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #99812

I'm trying to install Star Citizen again so I can see how far along it has come.

So far it's been downloading and installing for TWO DAYS, is currently occupying 40gb of hard drive space, and isn't done yet.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #99819

What's been "fixed" about bounty hunting, exactly?
/vg/station Head Admin
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #99940

Payout, mostly
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #99943

It's kind of a total joke comparing the two games, Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen.

I bought both of them because I like space fighter sims and 4x games. I want to scrape out a living wandering the stars, shooting it out with other people and working together with my friends.

Elite has most of that, but manages to make it somewhat uninteresting. The universe is almost too vast, it all feels detached and impersonal. When I return to the station after slaughtering a bunch of the local pirates nobody really thanks me beyond some credit payout and a standing increase. The local security forces are green on my radar now, but will still shoot the shit out of me the instant I accidentally accrue a 300 bounty...I go from being their friend to being hunted like a mass-murdering pirate just like that. There ARE other players out there, but to interact with them I have to force myself to move to an area that I have spied around the internet to find that they are hiding in. I have to make it a specific point to go find people rather than being made to cross paths with them by design. The mission offerings are a total joke. My stellar career as a bounty hunter has rewarded me with a RNG-based selection of shipping contracts, illegal smugglings, thefts, assassinations, and every once in a while a tiny bonus sum for killing X number more pirates in a nearby system. The bounty board itself is populated by players with ridiculously high-bounties who have reportedly all mastered the fine art of ALT+F4'ing out of the game when fighting a losing battle, if you can even find the fuckers.

Star Citizen has none of that. I can walk around a poorly optimized hangar watching textures flicker in and out of existence and stare at a bunch of pretty ships but I can't do much with them. There's no universe out there yet, but somehow they've created a great indoor walking-around-in-a-giant-box-full-of-stuff simulator. There's an aquarium with fish in it I can go look at. There IS a bit of a flying around and blowing stuff up game to be played, but it's a tiny instanced arena-type thing and my performance in it doesn't matter. The interface is so cluttered and the control options are so sparse that even with a TrackIR and a full HOTAS setup I have trouble accessing it. What little bit of space flight sim there is to be had seems to be designed to keep me away from it. I'm constantly reminded by the game itself and the community around it that despite buying into the game when it was first possible at $40 I'm a space pauper with possibly worst ship in the game. It feels like for all my faith and investment in the product I've just earned a big "kick me" sign on my back. That, and a chance to walk around a virtual museum showcasing a bunch of stuff that would be really cool to play with if they had built the game first and all these doodads second.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #100451

I think I'm gonna research real stars of interest and note in our actual galaxy and plan personal expeditions to find them. Even if they've already been visited.

On that list is VY Canis Majoris, one of the largest known stars.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #100462

Derped about a bit in the diamondback scout, and it is a really good fighter.
Weapons coverage is fantastic, I can pretty much hit anywhere in front of me with all four guns.

Too bad I already own a vulture which is much much superior at killing stuff.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #100548

Kinda Jelly. I would like a Vulture for bounty-hunting but I think I'll postpone racing for the upgrade to spiral off into deep space on a sight-seeing tour first.

The Diamondback Scout is fucking amazing for that. All the internals you need for all your exploration must-haves plus a solid jump range and a big fat pimp hand to crack across the face of any hoe stupid enough to act up while you pimp strut across the universe.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #100562

I know at least One person has done a ~75kLY journey to the galactic rim... On the OTHER SIDE of the galaxy. As in he passed through the galactic core(and even went to Sagittarius A* along the way).

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #100940

>get adder. smuggle slaves
>realize I'm in the Elite equivalent of a white panel van while engaged in human trafficking.

Eh, it's a job.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #101582

Hey An0n3, how's your x55 holding up?

Finally got some spare cash but from what I'm seeing on the elite forums the x55 is suffering from some terrible quality control, lot of people saying they've had to RMA the sticks because of it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #101637

I never had an x55?

I use a CH products setup.

Fighterstick
Throttle
Pedals

They're fucking great if you can spring for the extra. The only things I don't like about them are the stick's gun-trigger only has one stage and the throttle doesn't split.

I was saying if you are brand new to sticks and want to grab something really good for a really good price you should all be looking at the X55. That really sucks to hear they're having quality control issues because that stick is fucking JAM PACKED with awesome, awesome features for that price point. It has a split throttle, radar range knobs, and a ton of other toggles and switches. Still only a single-stage gun trigger but eh.

If you've got a bit of money to burn but are wary about investing in a stick with faulty hardware right now I might recommend buying one of the old cheap standby's if you don't have one already and a TrackIR 5 (that is, if you aren't planning on buying any kind of VR headset down the road, as those are coming soon and will do the same thing). Head tracking really "opens up" flight sims a lot. When you're free to look around and identify stuff or focus on different cockpit quadrants the whole experience becomes a lot more fluid. Especially in Elite:Dangerous, having the ability to look around and track your targets during turns and shit is a huge advantage over people who are stuck staring straight out their window.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #101649

Already got Track-IR, I also have proflght pedals and a first gen x52.
My x52 is suffering some mega problems with input spiking. Always had it on the slider a little, then the rotories went funny, and now the rudder is crappy.
So I'm not doubting the tales of the x55 having low build quality.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #101667

I have room for everything but the Pedals. I'll need a setup that has a rudder handle,probably on the throttle lik the old saitek setup my ol dman had years ago.(Whcih he later jury rigged to have a rudder... but that' neither here nor there)

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #101738

Saitek sticks are usually twisty for rudder control on the stick.

No toe-breaks for you though.

That's really upsetting to hear the x55 is having issues because I'm tempted to buy a set of them anyway for my mil-sims and use the CH products setup for prop-sims and space-sims.

Guess I'll just buy a G27 instead. Or maybe one of these

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #106715

Space is cold
I'm lonely
Spoiler:
Come play Elite: Dangerous with me.
Spoiler:
Please I'll give you credits and let you bully me it's just so lonely
Spoiler:
send help
~lighter than Aire~
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #106984

It kinda sucks you cant give credits, there needs to be way more teamplay.

But yeah I keep meaning to pick this up again, its a really immersive experience, but there's just not enough to do.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #107050

You can always just abandon your cargo and let someone pick it up.
Spoiler:
you can have everything just keep me company
Spoiler:
oh god I need help
~lighter than Aire~
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #107063

Honestly, what I plan to do next when I get back into will take me far far far away from you. Just need to get my Diamondback Scout set up enough for my expedition to the galactic rim.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #120193

is this game worth a purchase it's on sale
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #120244

If you like an open story with the freedom to explore, kill stuff or just trade, You'll like it. I enjoy it. In progress on my expedition to the galactic rim. Might turn around though and turn in this delicious nav data for more dosh though.
But don't expect it to just hand you content. You gotta make that for yourself. It's very very open world with little direction beyond rising in the ranks of Trader, Combat and Explorer. The expansion coming in the holiday season is going to add planetary landings though.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #120257

Wait for the DLC, it's gonna have the base game included too
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #120375

ThanatosRa wrote: The expansion coming in the holiday season is going to add planetary landings though.
Ooooh nice! I might actually start playing this game again in that case.

But yeah this game is 10x more fun if you play it with someone. The in-game voice comms sound awesome (slightly low-fi) and it can be really immersive.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #120465

Coincidentally some coworkers and I might commence pirate ops soon. If anyone is considering becoming a space bandito and sticking people up for their space goodies hit me up.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #120527

I'm too busy trying to clumsily explore the ass end depths of space.

I wanted to do an expedition to the galactic rim, fully aware of the distance. Then I started making the trip. I took a detour to just poke around the Taurus Dark Region after becoming TRULY Fully aware of the distance. Gon' find me some earth-like planets.

Then prolly make my way home.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #120529

Exploration sounds cool but then you realize it's Going-Nowhere-Quest.

It's much, much cooler to do in something like EVE, where you're poking around in mysterious wormholes and derelict space stuff finding tons of riches and things.

In Elite your just hopping from one randomly generated system to the next, pinging everything with your sensors, and then moving on.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #120642

An0n3 wrote:Exploration sounds cool but then you realize it's Going-Nowhere-Quest.
In Elite your just hopping from one randomly generated system to the next, pinging everything with your sensors, and then moving on.
Yeah very true, I pretty much stopped this game after I tried exploration. It becomes really dull really fast.
Wings is definitely where its at.
An0n3 wrote:Coincidentally some coworkers and I might commence pirate ops soon. If anyone is considering becoming a space bandito and sticking people up for their space goodies hit me up.
Yeah man I'd be up for that! Might have a couple of peeps that could play too.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #120751

An0n3 why you always gotta break my illusions before I do myself. I was having fucking fun you dick.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #120770

I'm sorry baby that's cruel of me.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #120802

An0n3 wrote:I'm sorry baby that's cruel of me.
If you really wanna be cruel to me you could just... You know... Punch me.

Maybe choke me a little.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #120834

Not in front of the kids
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #120888

I have needs!

Honestly horizons will help with exploration.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #121901

Has anything been added since....last January when I last played?

Was thinking of reinstalling.
/vg/station Head Admin
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #121929

Couple ships. Cqc is coming soon and horizons in dec

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #121948

CQC?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #121953

It's basically an arena fight thing in smaller fighters. I think its just the sidewinder, eagle and a new small fight called the condor. Not gonna see it in the.main game though.doesn't have an fsd. Sorry bad grammar and spelling. On my phone.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #121964

Horizons looks like it'll be pretty badass. I've actually pre-ordered as can get £10 off the price for being a owner of ED.
I also bought a joy-stick and throttle to hopefully make it somewhat easier than a mouse...
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #122078

Funny enough I've seen increasing evidence, that if done right, one can do better with a simple mouse and keyboard.

Personally that ruins the experience and breaks the immersion for me.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #122123

ThanatosRa wrote:Funny enough I've seen increasing evidence, that if done right, one can do better with a simple mouse and keyboard.

Personally that ruins the experience and breaks the immersion for me.
There must be a lot of flight-assist going on for that to happen. Does the game automatically roll for you when using M+KB or something?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #122135

It was use of lateral and vertical thrusters actually.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #122150

I don't see how basic first person shooter controls wouldn't work. WASD for your X/Y movement. Q and E for rolling, "jump" and "crouch" for Z-level movement.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #122157

Played a bit of CQC last night.

Basically you fly in a slow, fragile ship against other slow fragile ships that have instant hit lasers, which even the fixed ones have a large gimbal zone (without the dispersed shot grouping of actual gimbaled weapons (which are also in)), in 4 vs 4 TDM/CTF or 8 player FFA matches with a matchmaking system that often throws in a high level player into the match.

You can customise your ships but you need to do some level grinding before it'll unlock the different parts for you.