Security stealing tank transfer valves?

Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Security stealing tank transfer valves?

Post by Phalanx300 » #60836

Is it allowed? Because during this latest Cult round this security officer ran in and stole my backpack (containing plasma tanks) and took all tank transfer valves and put them in a closet running away with my backpack and closet. Then when I tried to stop him he stunned me and quickly ran off. He didn't even give any explaination of what he was doing.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Security stealing tank transfer valves?

Post by Saegrimr » #60837

Not unless they have a good reason to, which if this was at round start there is definitely no good reason to.

Feel free to PM me their names and when this happened and i'll look into it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60838

It was midround when security apparantly knew it was Cult round. However I was unaware that it was, was just minding my own business in science cooling/heating gasses.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #60844

Round start stealing of the TTV's is a clear cut situation. However Security taking the TTV's mid round during a high stress/stakes round type (cult) is a lot more situational.

Did Security think Science was overrun with cultists? Do they have evidence? Was this a order from the Captain? Was Red Alert declared? I guess it falls down to if security has reasonable suspicion to suspect that one or more members of science have been subverted by the cult, and that they think there is a good risk of the cult creating bombs.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #60860

I checked over the logs and it was handled. But generally yes if its roundstart and people are stealing TTV's thats just straight up meta. If theres a situation where bombing could be a serious hazard, in this case there were suspected cultists in science, the confiscation was justified although flimsy.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #60862

Well handled.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60886

Saegrimr wrote:I checked over the logs and it was handled. But generally yes if its roundstart and people are stealing TTV's thats just straight up meta. If theres a situation where bombing could be a serious hazard, in this case there were suspected cultists in science, the confiscation was justified although flimsy.
Do note though that no burnmix of any kind was yet created so its a bit doubtful. But yeah just making sure what the policy is on the matter for future reference.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #61162

If you were a sec officer and knew science probably had brained washed eldrich worshiping crazies in it; would you wait for them to make a bomb, possibly with a suicide trigger, or don't care either way and snatch the bomb stuff pre-emptively?
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #61245

Malkevin wrote:If you were a sec officer and knew science probably had brained washed eldrich worshiping crazies in it; would you wait for them to make a bomb, possibly with a suicide trigger, or don't care either way and snatch the bomb stuff pre-emptively?
You could make an argument that any time an antag is around you just take all stuff that could be used against you. Its like a officer taking the soap from the prison just in case, incredibly meta.
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #61256

> not taking the soap to clean up your harmbatons so the AI doesn't notice

taking ttvs at roundstart is like taking the mini hoe so they can't break the perma windows

but if sci has cults in it, damn right you take those bombs, otherwise the station is blown up and narnar has risen
Image Image Image
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #61272

From Space Law:
Scientists and Miners are permitted to possess explosives only whilst transporting them to the mining asteroid, otherwise their experimental bombs must remain within the Science department.
If scientists are allowed to make and possess bombs within their department, as I see it security has no right to confiscate bomb-making materials under space law as written. Confiscating the TTVs should instead fall under the purview of the RD, as it's more his job to direct what scientists do. If the RD is cult... well, that's an advantage of having the RD as cult.

(Bombing as cult is fucking stupid, anyway -- what if you gib your sacrifice target? -- so I don't see this coming up often.)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61273

If Security has reasonable suspicion to think that a, or a group of, scientist(s) are going to use a bomb on the station, they are (or they should) within their rights to confiscate any TTV's from Science.

Note the words, reasonable suspicion.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #61298

space law is not mandatory
officers are free to do things outside of the law to ensure the safety of the station
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #61300

It's good to mention that somewhere on the Wiki, this sort of thing is even advised during a cult round.

While the Wiki isn't any sort of ruleset, it's hard to blame some new security member for following the only helpful guide he can find.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #61353

bandit wrote:From Space Law:
Scientists and Miners are permitted to possess explosives only whilst transporting them to the mining asteroid, otherwise their experimental bombs must remain within the Science department.
If scientists are allowed to make and possess bombs within their department, as I see it security has no right to confiscate bomb-making materials under space law as written. Confiscating the TTVs should instead fall under the purview of the RD, as it's more his job to direct what scientists do. If the RD is cult... well, that's an advantage of having the RD as cult.

(Bombing as cult is fucking stupid, anyway -- what if you gib your sacrifice target? -- so I don't see this coming up often.)
Don't forget bandit, I'm the one that wrote that note for the law "Possession: Explosives".

The note is there to add an exception to that law to prevent actual true shitcurity bursting into science, arresting the toxins working scientist and going "Hurr... you have bomb, brig time for you" - under normal conditions.

Cult and rev, even suspected traitor scientist, are not normal conditions. They're probable cause to believe that there is a high likelihood that those bombs pose a threat to the station and crew.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #61357

The obvious objection to security stealing the TTVs is that security shouldn't know what a TTV is. This is a light-RP server, so security isn't required to roleplay "not knowing what a TTV is", but I would argue that they are required to roleplay "respecting scientists' right to do their goddamn jobs".

The related problem is that a TTV is a bomb detonator and nothing else, so it's trivial to meta it as "you don't need a bunch of bomb detonators lying around". Accordingly, I'd like to see

(1) TTVs used in more station equipment, like cryo tubes, chemical dispensers, etc., and
(2) Mining actually needing bombs to breach certain parts of the asteroid where the good stuff is found.
Remove the AI.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #61361

rockpecker wrote:The obvious objection to security stealing the TTVs is that security shouldn't know what a TTV is.
Stop right there. We don't enforce ignorance of antagonist items like Baystation or some other "heavy RP" servers do. Theres no way we're going to enforce people not knowing how to do things outside of the job they signed up for.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #61375

Saegrimr wrote:
rockpecker wrote:The obvious objection to security stealing the TTVs is that security shouldn't know what a TTV is.
Stop right there.
Or you could read the very next thing I said:
This is a light-RP server, so security isn't required to roleplay "not knowing what a TTV is",
Remove the AI.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #61378

rockpecker wrote:Or you could read the very next thing I said:
But I already stopped right there.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61482

rockpecker wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
Stop right there.
Or you could read the very next thing I said:
This is a light-RP server, so security isn't required to roleplay "not knowing what a TTV is",
> immortal space psychopaths shouldn't know what the explosives are

Never.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #62961

In group antagonist rounds sec/heads may even reach a point where they may need to use explosives themselves.

Hard to pin down the point where you are totally unlikely to run into a non antagonist ever again but it can happen.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #62980

Saegrimr wrote:
rockpecker wrote:Or you could read the very next thing I said:
But I already stopped right there.
start right here
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though