Raise the amount of heretics on MRP from 1 to 2 (or more)

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.
Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Raise the amount of heretics on MRP from 1 to 2 (or more)

Post by TheRex9001 » #727744

Title, I think that heretic is a role that is best played in multiples. With 1 heretic you are losing a massive aspect of balance and gameplay for heretics which is the conflict over the starting rifts that heretics have. The amount of rifts does scale with the amount of heretics, yes but how it usually ends up is each heretic getting fewer rifts making them all individually weaker. Heretics also end up in natural conflict over these rifts and this aspect forces you to make more decisions in the moment, should I siphon this rift at the risk of being discovered? Or should I wait for a better time to siphon it at the risk of someone else taking it first? These kinds of decisions are really good and healthy to make, its a level of thought and game choice that make heretic more fun, and something I think should be restored on MRP.

I've heard before that the antagonist is only designed for murder but the exact same things can be said for changeling or traitor. Heretics are great at murder but so is every antag, by design. They are there to breathe conflict into the round, there isn't a story if there isn't conflict and there isn't conflict if there aren't stakes. So I believe that raising the amount of heretics from 1 -> 2 is at least something that should be trialled on MRP, and if it doesn't work we can revert it.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Re: Raise the amount of heretics on MRP from 1 to 2 (or more)

Post by TheLoLSwat » #727745

More than 1 heretic is good since they are forced to compete for limited resources while not getting caught
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #727747

I've heard before that the antagonist is only designed for murder but the exact same things can be said for changeling or traitor. Heretics are great at murder but so is every antag, by design.
I mean, yeah, it's due to the MRP ruleset that there's even any sort of restrictions on who can be killed exist. It's how you get goofy situations like how lings are murderbone restricted again, but said restricted ling can shoot out as many flesh spiders as they can afford that can murder the crew.

I'd be open to having one more heretic slot to see what happens.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #727750

Is there any way to make latejoin heretic more common instead? Or (code issue! in policy thread! cringe!) have someone "awaken" as a heretic midway through the shift à la sleeper agents?

I kinda agree that a single heretic usually isn't impactful enough. But I still think the multiroundstart heretics encourage too much of a "drop literally everything, can't even start to do your job, need need NEED to get influences NOW before the other heretics do", and I am quite happy that is gone and don't really want it back.
Like my adminning? Feedback here!
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727752

The issue with increasing the amount of heretics onboard the station is that you'll end up with situations where every single corner and square inch if the station will be covered in rifts that remove people's limbs and make them want to kill themselves. Science never does anything about them either so I feel that it makes heretic less of a mysterious story driven antag and more of a gamey "oh this is something that happens everywhere" antag. Of course, the design of heretics themselves is a code issue, but it's just easier to restrict them to 1 or 2 than go through trying to convince someone that the rifts should fade or something.

Just my 2¢.
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #727753

BonChoi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 pm The issue with increasing the amount of heretics onboard the station is that you'll end up with situations where every single corner and square inch if the station will be covered in rifts that remove people's limbs and make them want to kill themselves.
I think with 2 that probably isn't a problem
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #727754

BonChoi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 pm The issue with increasing the amount of heretics onboard the station is that you'll end up with situations where every single corner and square inch if the station will be covered in rifts that remove people's limbs and make them want to kill themselves. Science never does anything about them either so I feel that it makes heretic less of a mysterious story driven antag and more of a gamey "oh this is something that happens everywhere" antag. Of course, the design of heretics themselves is a code issue, but it's just easier to restrict them to 1 or 2 than go through trying to convince someone that the rifts should fade or something.
Science can do things about ugly-ass heretic influences everywhere?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #727757

BonChoi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 pm The issue with increasing the amount of heretics onboard the station is that you'll end up with situations where every single corner and square inch if the station will be covered in rifts that remove people's limbs and make them want to kill themselves. Science never does anything about them either so I feel that it makes heretic less of a mysterious story driven antag and more of a gamey "oh this is something that happens everywhere" antag. Of course, the design of heretics themselves is a code issue, but it's just easier to restrict them to 1 or 2 than go through trying to convince someone that the rifts should fade or something.

Just my 2¢.
Would reducing their number overall and increasing the value per rift help with the issues you identify here?

in any case second this idea, +1
feedback appreciated here <3
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #727758

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:54 pm
BonChoi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 pm snip
Science can do things about ugly-ass heretic influences everywhere?
anom neutralizer (engi or sci) kills em
feedback appreciated here <3
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #727760

Just my 2¢.
I don't think this has ever been an issue if I am honest, and how would 2 vs 1 heretic majorly impact this in your opinion?

To expand on this, the rifts arent everywhere and they are certainly not mysterious, even if you thought both of the above were true adding one additional heretic would not be majorly impactful to the amount of rifts (I think its just +1 rift). Ultimately the current state of heretic on MRP isn't adding enough mystery to justify itself, instead conflict is taken away from the heretic and in between heretics. The whole "secret war" aspect of the antagonist is just fully lost and if what it takes to regain that aspect is 1 more ugly (removable) rift I think its a price well worth paying.
BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727766

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 pm
-snip-
They were an issue until the number of heretics was reduced to one per round. You'd turn the corner and BOOM rift, go around the next corner BOOM another rift. It ended up being that there would just be rifts in every public area.

As for me, I think that when there's a shitton of rifts everywhere it would normalize them, as in you would look at all 37 (not an actual number but an exaggeration) and go "oh yeah it's those cooky heretics again" as opposed to being (rightfully) perturbed by a singular rift in the open.

Perhaps adding another heretic wouldn't be so bad, but more than that and I think we'd be pushing the limits on an ability to tell a story about heretics.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #727770

Just my 2¢.
This is obviously a code solution, but it wouldn't really be unreasonable IMO to make them disappear after 10-15 minutes.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727775

Vekter wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:39 pm
-snip-
Well the policy solution in the mean time would be to keep them capped at 1 or perhaps 2, that's why I brought it up.

Anywho, a couple more pennies to think on:

This is more of a general thought, but I think that "flooding" the station with individualistic antags actually hinders their ability / willingness to do fun gimmicks and creates stories. If you have more people competing towards a singular goal I feel that it serves more to gamify the relationship between antags and the crew. It's for this reason that I'm usually opposed to "flooding" the station with "singular" antagonists of the same type.

MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #727777

From a meta perspective I would say heretics actually have more reason to team up rather than compete, they are in a similar boat in terms of power scaling and can use eachother's runes to do their business, they have a tendency to want to build a "lair" or atleast several poorly hidden runes throughout the station to safely do their rituals and just having another heretic going around drawing hidden runes is beneficial to you

Their paths also let them provide something unique to the table for eachother, any heretic can pickup rust healing but only rust can spread it without serious investment.

That being said I think heretics should still come in pairs or trios, there are clear design choices that makes them seem like they should consistently co-exist and its up to them to determine if they want to be cooperative or competitive or just plain neutral to eachother knowing that eachother's existence has inherent upsides even with the potential drawbacks.

Limiting them to 1 per roll removes a lot of the depth and thought process of being a heretic and the antagonist loses a lot of its charm, if the reason you limit them to one in MRP is balance then that's just policy trying to subvert code/design rather than work with it.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727780

MooCow12 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:25 am ...if the reason you limit them to one in MRP is balance then that's just policy trying to subvert code/design rather than work with it.
I think it's a better alternative than making MRP-specific changes to the code. MRP should have a different playstyle and feel than LRP, and I think that certain config changes / additional rules help to facilitate this, but I absolutely am aware that they're not 100% of the reasons for said differences.

Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #727781

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

DO THIS PLEASE

The only reason I didn't make a policy thread asking for this was because I am so passionate about it that I would have made nobody take the thread seriously.

I have teamed up as a heretic many times with other heretics in the past it is great. I LOVED going for a target and seeing them in the process of being sacrificed and then going and sacrificing them at the same time together.
Or being greedy and stealing the sacrifice and running off with it.
Having more heretic means there is rift competition but it also means there is more rifts around so it's not that bad. There is a higher chance of one being in your department because of this. Even when I was a slow heretic I remember atleast one rift hiding around, or a ton hiding in security or xenobio that I can end up snatching up nicely.

I would rather have some competition between heretics than not be able to play heretic for 3 months at a time due to how goddamn rare they are. I am getting NUKIES more often than heretic now. That's horrific. I want to be able to do my cool heretic gimmicks. I may actually end up thinking about heretic gimmicks for when I play my side characters as there would actually be a chance of them getting the roll.

I WANT THE GLORY OF HERETICS BACK PLEAAASSSSEEEE
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #727782

BonChoi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:52 am
I think it's a better alternative than making MRP-specific changes to the code. MRP should have a different playstyle and feel than LRP, and I think that certain config changes / additional rules help to facilitate this, but I absolutely am aware that they're not 100% of the reasons for said differences.
Ya but that alternative is causing this to suffer

Constellado wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:45 am
I have teamed up as a heretic many times with other heretics in the past it is great. I LOVED going for a target and seeing them in the process of being sacrificed and then going and sacrificing them at the same time together.
Or being greedy and stealing the sacrifice and running off with it.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #727786

BonChoi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 pm
Anywho, a couple more pennies to think on:

This is more of a general thought, but I think that "flooding" the station with individualistic antags actually hinders their ability / willingness to do fun gimmicks and creates stories. If you have more people competing towards a singular goal I feel that it serves more to gamify the relationship between antags and the crew. It's for this reason that I'm usually opposed to "flooding" the station with "singular" antagonists of the same type.
If heretic is as rare as wizard with only a fraction of the power then aint no way anyone is doing gimmicks when they roll one.
► Show Spoiler
BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727789

If there's 16 heretics all trying to ascend at once tearing the station apart they DEFINITELY aren't doing any gimmicks either.

I'd go as far to say that it's more of a code issue though because I feel that the inherent design of antags like Heretics don't help roleplay as much as they harm it but that's opening a can of worms I'd very much so not like to get into right now.

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #727790

why are we talking about 16 heretics when the policy request is to increase it to "2 heretics"?
this is completely unrelated to anything in this discussion, there is no plan to allow 16 heretics to run on any server
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #727791

16 heretics is so far down the other extreme that i doubt we would ever see that kind of amount outside of an adminbus round, whats on the table is them appearing in small groups which should softcap around less than half of that in total if dynamic is feeling quirky at the time and really wants to spam heretics that round.
Spoiler:
BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727793

I thought it was obvious like in my first message that I was exaggerating, shame on me for not making it obvious I guess. Regardless it's the (or more) that I care about.

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #727794

BonChoi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 am I thought it was obvious like in my first message that I was exaggerating, shame on me for not making it obvious I guess. Regardless it's the (or more) that I care about.
Exagerrating to an extreme that obviously nobody is going to implement is wasting time.
It still isn't clear how many you actually think would be too many.

Three? Five? Twelve?
BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #727798

Whatever the cap was before they were capped to 1 per round was far too many.

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #727799

The (or more) part is there if the headmins want it, I personally think we should try out 2 heretics before moving forward with more (if 2 work well)
xzero314
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Xzero314

Post by xzero314 » #727800

I have a few reasons why I like the cap of 1 heretic on Manuel, but I am open to experimenting with more. It does suck to be rushed to go after the influences though. It leaves very little room to set up some gimmick or to cover yourself by doing your job. Back when more heretics were a thing, I got to a point where I could tell who all the heretics were shift start with decent reliability by noticing people running all over the station checking every room when they have no reason to be. Like the chef or a miner really stick out here.
ImageImageImageImage
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #727900

I like one heretic its nice and comfy for gimmicks
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #727922

I think I like the idea of really high threat/pop rounds generating a second Heretic so we sometimes get the cool interactions between them, but I don't think it should be common.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #728011

i prefer one heretic. heretic is a very mechanically inclined "GO RUSH OBJECTIVES KILL PEOPLE GO HURRY" role, only one heretic allows them to pump the brakes a little and try to do something else.

also reduces the likelihood one of them decides to be 'friendly heretic'.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728064

TheBibleMelts wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:31 pm i prefer one heretic. heretic is a very mechanically inclined "GO RUSH OBJECTIVES KILL PEOPLE GO HURRY" role, only one heretic allows them to pump the brakes a little and try to do something else.

As I've said above this is applicable to pretty much every antagonist (especially changeling).

In regards to 'friendly heretic' I don't think this is even really a point to contend, if you have 2 heretics you also have a lower chance of BOTH heretics being friendly, one friendly heretic at this point snuffs out the threat from an entire group of antagonists.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728409

TheBibleMelts wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:31 pm i prefer one heretic. heretic is a very mechanically inclined "GO RUSH OBJECTIVES KILL PEOPLE GO HURRY" role, only one heretic allows them to pump the brakes a little and try to do something else.

a little off topic but we really gotta think about straight up banning friendly antags from MRP. being friendly as an antagonist sure, revealing yourself openly as a horrible space monster who by nature eats human beings and has no regard for human life but then going way off script and UwU-ing at people is cringe
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #728417

PKPenguin321 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:23 am

a little off topic but we really gotta think about straight up banning friendly antags from MRP. being friendly as an antagonist sure, revealing yourself openly as a horrible space monster who by nature eats human beings and has no regard for human life but then going way off script and UwU-ing at people is cringe
Any antags that are acting explicitly friendly on MRP may be killed at will.
Roleplay Rule 6 wrote:Explicitly friendly antagonists do not have this protection and may be treated as the crew or admin team see fit.
Spoiler:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #728419

oh sweet
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #728472

Vekter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:44 am
PKPenguin321 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:23 am

Any antags that are acting explicitly friendly on MRP may be killed at will.
Roleplay Rule 6 wrote:Explicitly friendly antagonists do not have this protection and may be treated as the crew or admin team see fit.
people get lynched/arrested/beaten and looted/fluoride stared at while the antagonist kills them by the crew for exercising this if that antag had has meta friends and proved themselves 'trustworthy' during the shift. plus, nobody really wants the reputation as the asshole who swiftly validkills folks who might be going for a gimmick.
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #728505

if you friendly antag i dont care if its a gimmick or not, you get the laser
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #728506

TheBibleMelts wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:26 am people get lynched/arrested/beaten and looted/fluoride stared at while the antagonist kills them by the crew for exercising this if that antag had has meta friends and proved themselves 'trustworthy' during the shift. plus, nobody really wants the reputation as the asshole who swiftly validkills folks who might be going for a gimmick.
I imagined this would be an issue when the policy was implemented but I can't think of an elegant solution to friendtags anyway. Sucks.
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #728510

It's worth noting that I have, in the past, asked antags to not be explicitly friendly on MRP.

That being said, I do feel like this is veering off topic pretty heavily, so maybe we should take the friendly antag issue to our own thread.
Spoiler: