[Exalted12] ClickCrisis - Ban OOC Misunderstanding

Appeals which have been closed.
ClickCrisis

[Exalted12] ClickCrisis - Ban OOC Misunderstanding

Post by ClickCrisis » #17699

Byond account and character name: ClickCrisis, Daniel Hawk
Banning admin: Exalted12
Ban reason and length: Used Steam to tell his metafriend who was an Asimov cyborg to release the singularity by increasing the PA to 2. Both admitted to using Steam as OOC communications. Please appeal this on the forums to have it lifted.. (Permanent)
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 7:46 PM CST (Central Standard Time)
Your side of the story: It was a big misunderstanding with me and my friend. I assumed he knew what he was doing, and was joking about it in our steam chat, and went along with it.
Why you think you should be unbanned: It was a huge misunderstanding regarding who knew what. My friend did not know what he was doing, while I was led to believe that he did know, and I was joking with him.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: [Exalted12] ClickCrisis - Ban OOC Misunderstanding

Post by MrStonedOne » #17701

Ok, So I'm just gonna suggest you explain everything, every last detail, post steam logs if you think that will help, etc.

Give us a step by step detail of what happened, and how this happened. Have your friend to the same in another thread if they want a chance at getting unbanned.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
ClickCrisis

Post by ClickCrisis » #17704

I was dead for that round, and we were just discussing miscellaneous things, not about the game. My friend Epicface asked me where the Singularity was, and I said I didn't trust him with the singularity anyway. He said he would try and manipulate it. I thought that he knew about the Singularity as much as I did, and as such I went along with what I thought was a joke, by guiding him to it and telling him to fiddle with the Particle Accelerator. Again, I thought he knew what he was doing and was making a joke, like we often do with each other. I thought he pretended to set it up to 2, and told him via Steam to sit back and let the madness unfold. I was not aware he did not know what he was doing and was simply following my instructions, and I assumed he had faked it until he told me he had been messaged by an Admin.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #17969

Exalted12 asked me to handle this while he is away, I figured I'd let you sit on this for a couple of days while I thought about it.

Starting off, lets look at the logs, These are a bit confusing because your friend's ic name was your ooc username.
Spoiler:
[17:31:35]GAME: PA Control Computer turned OFF by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:31:37]GAME: PA Control Computer turned ON by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:31:38]GAME: PA Control Computer increased to 1 by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:31:39]GAME: PA Control Computer increased to 2 by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:33:26]ADMIN: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner) jumped to ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk)
[17:33:29]ADMIN: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner) jumped to Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)
[17:33:37]GAME: PA Control Computer increased to 1 by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:34:08]GAME: PA Control Computer increased to 1 by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:34:09]GAME: PA Control Computer increased to 2 by epifcase(ClickCrisis) in (112,71,1)
[17:34:34]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Hi
[17:35:10]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Hey?
[17:35:16]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Why are you repeatedly increasing the PA to 2 and smashing humans in blast doors?
[17:35:25]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Didn't mean to smash him.
[17:35:33]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): What about the PA?
[17:35:48]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Someone is telling me to.
[17:36:04]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): I'll stop.
[17:36:06]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): You're Asimov, and that engineer you keep trying to lock out is clearly trying to keep it turned down.
[17:36:11]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Go back to spamming Dosh
[17:36:12]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Who told you to do that?
[17:36:52]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): As in who told you to turn the PA up even after humans turn it back down
[17:36:57]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Oh.
[17:37:00]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): A friend.
[17:37:12]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Who?
[17:37:19]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): His username for this?
[17:37:30]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): His name and CKey if you have it
[17:37:49]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Just got his name. He's saying it was my idea now, which it wasn't.
[17:37:53]ADMIN: @Exalted12[DC]/(Sven Brunner) jumped to Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)
[17:38:02]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Is he telling you through the game?
[17:38:03]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Wait, I dont know his name for sure, just a good guess.
[17:38:24]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Oh shit. I forgot. God damnit, I'm so sorry no he isn't.
[17:38:31]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Guessing I'm gonna be banned now.
[17:38:42]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Who's telling you to do this shit? Is it the other ClickCrisis?
[17:38:47]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Yeah.
[17:38:55]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Are you guys in the same house or something?
[17:39:00]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk): Hello.
[17:39:06]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Nah, just good internet friends.
[17:39:11]ADMIN: PM: ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Hello, it was a misunderstanding
[17:39:32]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk): Telling an Asimov cyborg with OOC communications to turn the PA up and keep people from turning it back down?
[17:39:43]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Ugh, I really should've known better than to do this.
[17:39:59]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Why'd you listen to him?
[17:40:02]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): I don't really know what that thing does, but I shouldn't have been doing what he says if it's not in game.
[17:40:07]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): I'm not sure.
[17:40:28]ADMIN: PM: ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): He told me he wanted to see the singularity and that he wanted to manipulate it. Yes it was IC in OOC and I'm sorry but I had no idea he'd try and release it
[17:42:39]ADMIN: PM: ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Also I assumed he was joking by 'manipulating' it
[17:43:00]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk): What program are you using to communicate with eachother?
[17:43:05]ADMIN: PM: ClickCrisis/(Daniel Hawk)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Steam
[17:45:18]ADMIN: exalted12 has banned clickcrisis.
[17:45:18]ACCESS: Logout: ClickCrisis[DC]/(Daniel Hawk)
[17:45:42]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Both of you are getting a permaban for the metagaming. Please appeal this on the forums to tell your story and it may be lifted or reduced.
Reason: Took advice from his metafriend ClickCrisis to increase the PA to 2 and release the singularity as an Asimov Cyborg. Both admitted to using Steam for OOC communications.
[17:46:22]ACCESS: Logout: Epifcase[DC]/(ClickCrisis)
So, basically, one of you is being misleading. Your friend made it sound like you were telling him to do it, that he had no idea what so ever what it does, and basically that this whole thing was your idea. You on the other hand are saying he knew some what what it does, that this was his idea, and all you basically did was tell him how to do something.

The part that makes me really uncomfortable with releasing/reducing this ban is that your friend made it sound like this is so normal, you two talking about rounds and shit ooc, that they forgot they aren't suppose to do that.

[17:38:02]ADMIN: PM: Exalted12/(Sven Brunner)->Epifcase/(ClickCrisis): Is he telling you through the game?
[17:38:24]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Oh shit. I forgot. God damnit, I'm so sorry no he isn't.
[17:38:31]ADMIN: PM: Epifcase/(ClickCrisis)->Exalted12/(Sven Brunner): Guessing I'm gonna be banned now.

So: is this your story? Is that your final answer?
NSFW:
ClickCrisis

Post by ClickCrisis » #18029

We don't talk about rounds OOC, or at least I don't. I was just spectating him and we were talking about other topics. And yes, he did ask for his Borg name to be ClickCrisis, which further added to my thinking he was joking about the Singularity.

Your whole 'misleading' thing is a bit wrong. I was saying that I THOUGHT he knew about the singularity and the PA and what happens if you increase it to 2. Yes, we did IC in OOC and metagame, and I'm sorry about it, but it was a big miscommunication between the both of us. We usually joke around a ton (see him making his Borg name my OOC username) and I thought he was joking about the Singularity.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #20380

Alright, this got lost in the perils of life. after talking to exalted, we decided to reduce the ban to time served for both of you.

While It feels like there was something more going on here, at the moment all we have is a case of ic in ooc over steam, which is a fine line away from metacoms, but not quite the same thing.

Understand this: You both will be on probation, meaning I don't want to see one of you ghosting over the other, Nor seeking each other out ic, or even just being around each other ic.

While I'm sure you two will talk over steam, I'm just gonna remind you that this should be free of any information about the round, including things like announcing to the other your job, antag status, or pronouncing that you died, etc.

In short, if you can't say it in ooc, don't say it over steam.
NSFW: