[onwego(i think)] sollision - metacommunications

Appeals which have been closed.
Bartholomew

[onwego(i think)] sollision - metacommunications

Post by Bartholomew » #195207

Byond account and character name: Sollision, Bartholomew

Banning admin: onwego (i think that was the name.)

Ban type (What are you banned from?): The server.

Ban reason and length: Metacommunications via skype.

Time ban was placed (including time zone): Around 04:30am EST

Your side of the story:
I invited my friends to play some space station 13 with me. I usually play on Paradise alone but i thought the rounds were too long and they would think it'd be tedious.
So we go on TG and they don't know how to play. McHalo gets bartender, i get doctor, and whiteshirtdude gets mime. I sit in medbay and whiteshirtdude asks me if i can give him gender change + plastic surgery + robotic arm. I do so and all is well but they wouldnt stop pestering me in medbay. Constantly running around and whatnot.
McHalo is in the hallway with a clown and he tells me that the clown attacked him (which i learned afterward no he didnt) so he and i fend him off.
That's when an admin contacts me asking about the situation, i told him what happened, and it was shrugged off with "Okay, but next time dont kill someone for that reason". or something like that.
I revived the clown after that happened and it was fine, but we were contacted again asking about what communications the three of us were using. I didnt ask questions like how he knew that or whatever, because i really didnt care since we weren't actually metagaming. I'm a pretty honest person and i told him skype right away. Then banned, and here i am.

Why you think you should be unbanned:
I take it metagaming is telling eachother things we wouldnt normally know if we werent talking on skype. Like ghosting and whatnot.
However we all play gmod TTT a lot so we are completely against doing that. Most of our conversations went towards me telling them to stop running around/go to their job and that it's an RP server, and them asking how to do things.

I honestly guess I learned my lessons on bringing friends to roleplay games such as these. But we weren't metagaming at all.
I just think having them in a skype call to sorta teach them how to play with me is better than them not knowing what to do and running around taking things and causing chaos.

It won't happen again, and I plan to not play with them again-
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Re: [onwego(i think)] sollision - metacommunications

Post by Owegno » #195208

Rounds not over yet so I am going to wait to reply.
Bartholomew

Post by Bartholomew » #195211

Owegno wrote:Rounds not over yet so I am going to wait to reply.
Long round.
And I got your name wrong sorry about that.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #195213

Alright, so if you were just telling them to do their jobs without any information being shared, please explain the following incidents: I put neurotoxin in you to test if you were metacomming, and then both of your friends rushed over to medbay and tried to get in. Additionally since I was unsure if the mime was just following the bartender around to mess with them or part of the group; when the mime ran off and tried to get in through the morgue I attempted to put neurotoxin in them to see if the bartender would react, though this was thwarted by a kind crew member helping the mime. However when the mime broke off again I knocked them into crit with oxygen damage, and now that you were up I watched both you and the bartender rush over to heal the mime. After this I PMed all three of you asking what program you were using.

Also a note about the incident with the clown, the only reason you and Mchalo were not banned is because I had a hunch you and Mchalo were metacommunicating and I wanted to watch and see.
Bartholomew

Post by Bartholomew » #195215

Owegno wrote:Alright, so if you were just telling them to do their jobs without any information being shared, please explain the following incidents: I put neurotoxin in you to test if you were metacomming, and then both of your friends rushed over to medbay and tried to get in. Additionally since I was unsure if the mime was just following the bartender around to mess with them or part of the group; when the mime ran off and tried to get in through the morgue I attempted to put neurotoxin in them to see if the bartender would react, though this was thwarted by a kind crew member helping the mime. However when the mime broke off again I knocked them into crit with oxygen damage, and now that you were up I watched both you and the bartender rush over to heal the mime. After this I PMed all three of you asking what program you were using.

Also a note about the incident with the clown, the only reason you and Mchalo were not banned is because I had a hunch you and Mchalo were metacommunicating and I wanted to watch and see.
Yep that sums up the whole game. Us dropping, panicking, and the others going to help them.
And yeah, now I can see how that is metagaming. Geez I am so used to playing alone and I was still constantly nagging them to go do their jobs.
It's really hard to play this with friends I guess.
I really don't know what to say. Should've got them on goonstation first, eh.

But like I said, it won't happen again. I don't even plan to play with them again.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #195222

Alright well, the standard deal for these sorts of things is that only one person in the group gets unbanned, I assume the other two are fine with it being you?
Bartholomew

Post by Bartholomew » #195298

Owegno wrote:Alright well, the standard deal for these sorts of things is that only one person in the group gets unbanned, I assume the other two are fine with it being you?
They like goonstation better anyway.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #195353

You're unbanned now, do be good.