Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

[atlantaned] ArcaneMusic - Banned over ICC OCC

Post by Arcanemusic » #204977

Byond account and character name: ArcaneMusic, Gear Boxx
Banning admin: atlantaned
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Temporary Ban, Access to Server
Ban reason and length: "IC in OOC. Please don't do that." 15 minutes.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 8/20/2016, 7:12 PM EST
Your side of the story: In-Round, someone was using a powersink, and once It was found I made a generic comment in out of character chat about the balance of the powersink, in specific that it's interesting how no matter where you place a powersink, it allows access to it being that all doors will eventually lose power and it will be open to the public. I didn't mention where it was in the match, just merely how it works overall. I've seen people mention things like this before simply because it's in mention of the round's events, but not complaining or commenting on the round overall.
Why you think you should be unbanned: It was not mentioning SPECIFIC events in round, merely the dynamic as to how powersinks work overall. (It is also over in 5 minutes as of posting but I felt like appealing it.)
Edit: Alternatively, I'd like some clarification as to if this is alright to mention in OOC, because I realize it kinda skirts the edge
fosstar
Byond Username: Fosstar

Re: [atlantaned] ArcaneMusic - Banned over ICC OCC

Post by fosstar » #204980

invoking anon3, if it is ops and you start talking about the balance of the cr20 you will get banned, don't talk about the mechanics of things happening in the round in ooc, go to #coderbus if you have to say it right now or wait till the end of the round.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #204987

Do not talk about the round in progress in OOC. Ever. No hints, no jokes, no "being subtle".

All you have to do is nothing, and people still find ways to fuck that up.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #204988

It's literally 15 minutes, why are you making an appeal?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #204989

Secondly the round is still going, so not only did you IC in OOC, now you're posting information about the round on the forums.

Do you not understand when to stop?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #205022

Anonmare wrote:It's literally 15 minutes, why are you making an appeal?
This is a bad precedent, all bans should be able to stand on their merits when questioned

I dunno if I'd ban for it myself, as a player I would probably make a note to myself to post about it in OOC after the round, but it's a bit silly in the sense that the only people who would realize it's ick ock would be the ones who were already aware of the situation. I'd say it'd be more productive to just give a bwoink to someone if you think they're skirting the line and they don't have a history. Not a super massive issue either way, but something to consider
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Isratosh
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Isratosh

Post by Isratosh » #206151

Slippery slope, I'd honestly just wait until the round ends to mention things like this. As Saegrimr said, it's easier and makes more sense to just completely not allow any mention of in round events in OOC. Although I don't think a ban was really necessary (mute or note would've been sufficient) , even 15 minutes and especially with a completely clean record, it's still a bad idea and something that can easily be discussed later on.
Feedback
Bartholomew Martins
Spoiler:
conrad wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:22 pm Image