[AlphaaBeta] - Snerdly - banned for metacomming

Appeals which have been closed.
Snerdly
Byond Username: Snerdly

[AlphaaBeta] - Snerdly - banned for metacomming

Post by Snerdly » #207018

Byond account and character name: Snerdly, I forget. I was a nuclear operative and the commander picked a retarded family name.
Banning admin: alphaabeta
Ban type (What are you banned from?): both servers, permanent.
Ban reason and length: Metacommunications, permanent.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 8/28/16 00:38:55
Your side of the story: It's no secret that Byosfeer, the person I was accused of metacommunicating with, and I live in the same residence hall. He's a friend of mine and we both love this game and we have the same IP because our hall uses the same internet thing throughout the hall. However, we, at no point during the round, were in the same room, or were metacommunicating. I was on the 2nd floor of our hall and he was on the 4th. Alpha says that he knew the round from the start, and he saw me killing a dude in maintenance. I truly don't know how he found me in maintenance but it is nothing but an honest coincidence. He saw multiple bullet casings which prompted him to get a bulletproof armor on, and he saw my military belt on the ground which proved it was an ops round. He then announced it after he saw the belt. I talked to him after we were both banned and he said that the reason he didn't try and go after me when he saw me in maintenance is because he saw me a) over the dead body of someone, b) unloading a very lethal weapon and c) with a c-20r in my hand, and all he had was a telescopic shield. He also knows I'm a much better fighter than him, so he ran. Alpha then accused me of not shooting him when I saw him later, which is complete BS as I literally unloaded half a clip onto him as he was running near medbay, but I think I missed every shot I fired, as there was a lot of commotion. Finally, after one of the idiot ops bombed the bar of all places and killed me with it, he accused me of directing him to the location of the warden, which is also untrue. I was orbiting the HoS to see if he would be able to kill any other ops, but I didn't tell him where the warden was. He searched many rooms prior to locating him and opened nearly 10 lockers before eventually finding him in the escape pod.
Why you think you should be unbanned: We legitimately were not metacommunicating. We play on the same IP and multiple administrators have noted that we aren't metacommunicators. i.e the round in which I redeemed an antag token from PAS and we were both wizards, we talked ingame and had no external communications the entire round. This is the first time someone has ever really accused us of this, even though we're usually really good about making it as fair as possible, being on the same IP. There's no real way to prove either side but I think that the idea of us not ever having a real history of this being problematic can speak for itself. I'm sorry if it appeared we were communicating, but we truly were not. I love the idea of this being a secret and paranoid game and doing that would ruin the game, especially in a situation in which I'm opposing him. From a logical standpoint it makes no sense for me to tell him where I am/my occupation if he's the HoS and I'm an op and we're trying to kill each other. Once again I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this has caused and I hope for a resolution.
alphaBeta
Byond Username: AlphaaBeta

Re: [AlphaaBeta] - Snerdly - banned for metacomming

Post by alphaBeta » #207039

Were you two consulting each other on this appeal?
Can I ask some questions regarding the other player?
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207045

Go for it.
alphaBeta

Post by alphaBeta » #207046

Alright, time for a story.

I've forced nuke that round and as soon as it started, I had begun checking ops' ckeys to see if they have a chance. That's how I noticed yours. Then I've noticed that your friend, Byosfeer is the HOS. So I've sticked to observing him for the majority of the round.

He took a long time gearing up and checking med/sec records or trying to do announcments at roundstart, seemed like he was going AFK/had connection issues. After 5 or so minutes, he went into armoury and took the bulletproof helmet. Then he went back to being AFK-like in the brig locker somewhere.
After some time (I think at 10 or 15 minute mark) he's decided to move to the bar and sit there for a few minutes. That was when you've landed south of the station. Then you enter the maint and shoot some poor guy. Few second pass and I see HOS pulling out his shield and moving towards that part of maintenance. Just like that. No OPs were spotted until then. So,
Snerdly wrote:He saw multiple bullet casings which prompted him to get a bulletproof armor on (...)
Is kinda wrong. Next thing:
Snerdly wrote:(...) the reason he didn't try and go after me when he saw me in maintenance is because he saw me a) over the dead body of someone, b) unloading a very lethal weapon and c) with a c-20r in my hand, and all he had was a telescopic shield.
He had HOS' energy gun, another energy gun and stetchkin from contraband locker, all in his bag/armour.
Snerdly wrote:(...) b) unloading a very lethal weapon (...)
That person was alredy dead, you were changing clothes and were almost naked.

Anyway, you haven't seen eachother for a full second and both of you decide to retreat. OPs were not announced by the HOS, but some random chaplain who went into maint (I think) and died shortly afterwards. Later on:
Snerdly wrote:Alpha then accused me of not shooting him when I saw him later, which is complete BS as I literally unloaded half a clip onto him as he was running near medbay, but I think I missed every shot I fired, as there was a lot of commotion.
I do admit that was not enough of a proof, you did shoot him but missed.

After you've died you were not
Snerdly wrote:(...) orbiting the HoS to see if he would be able to kill any other ops (...)
right away. You've waited a minute or two and then started to follow the warden (in the meantime there was an accident with warden shooting someone over entering the armoury and pretty much everyone went after said warden).
When warden has entered arrivals, HOS was still in the brig. Then I've seen him head towards the arrivals, approach the pod airlock, turn back to the other wing and a moment later come back to the pod, with his gun drawn before opening the final airlock.

Other thing:
Snerdly wrote:(...) and all he had was a telescopic shield. He also knows I'm a much better fighter than him, so he ran.
Or rather a question, for Byosfeer: how did you know Snerdly was that OP you've met, if names were randomized?

Overall, in my opinion, it seems like too much coincidence. My decision stays as it was in the ban reason, I can unban only one of you. But let some headmin decide whether or not I'm being wrong here.

And sorry in advance for grammar/spelling errors, if any happened.
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207047

Just asked him to post his $0.02

Also, and I'm just taking a guess here, but I'm pretty well recognized as Chance with my purple hair in a particular style even if it's under a different name. When I was a wizard with Chance's look and "Classic Wizard" as my name people in deadchat were still going on about "fucking chance murderbonering"
byosfeer
Byond Username: Byosfeer

Post by byosfeer » #207052

In regards to AlphaaBeta:
1.) all the gear I grab is my typical load out As HOS, which I attempted to explain to you before you banned us.
2.)Although I was heavily armed, I was not apt to potentially die in maintenance, allowing the ops to continue to operate undetected with powerful weapons and armor and high level access from the HOS. Not only that, but I figured that it would be better to announce their presence (which I did, you can check the logs. Wasn't the chaplain.) rather than die.
3.) As Snerdly stated, he is easily recognizable by from his reputation. His purple poofy hair and menacing black beard was enough to recognize him.
4.) I literally did a full south to north search of arrivals. After warden shot me point blank or some shit he ran into maintenance heading to arrivals. That is why I searched there.
5.) Hearing someone getting Swiss cheesed in maintenance is reason to pull my telescopic shield.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #207068

While I was AFK grabbing some food when most of this happened, there was a previous incident that I nearly permabanned both of you for that gives me reason to completely trust Alphaa's judgement.

It was a few months ago so my recollection may not be 100% for everything but Snerdly was an engineer and Byosfeer was a clown.
At nearly round-start Snerdly grabbed a suit and went into space and after a short while hit the clown shuttle ruin in space. He then grabbed all the bananium in a crate and jumped back into space. After Snerdly hit the derelict he ditched the crate, when I went to check on Byo I saw that he was a borg now for some reason. Snerdly then proceeded to go to the Russky DJ station and spam the radio with a bunch of shitty copy pastas. I stopped watching for a bit assuming that nothing more would happen when I noticed that Byo was floating in space. He then hit the derelict and started getting to a place he could jump to the DJ station from, but the crate that Snerdly ditched earlier caused him to get stuck. At no time had Snerdly told anyone his location.

While Byo DCed shortly after getting stuck and after a while Snerdly went back to the station I found it all incredibly suspicious and I decided to wait and see if anything more happened but I never had time to watch you two extensively due to being the only admin on a lot.
byosfeer

Post by byosfeer » #207069

I don't recall any of those events. I think I can remember getting stuck on the derelict as a borg once but I certainly don't remember having anything to do with Snerdly at the time.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #207088

That does seem somewhat suspicious in regards to the ops thing, but what would their motive be? I just don't see where someone who rolled operative would benefit from leaking information about the operatives to his friend, the HoS.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
byosfeer

Post by byosfeer » #207098

Exactly. I mean, what would I do with that information? Help them? I'm sure that Snerdly wouldn't give me the information intending that I go make an "OPS CONFIRMED" announcement. If they wanted war ops, they could... declare war.
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207108

Shaps wrote:That does seem somewhat suspicious in regards to the ops thing, but what would their motive be? I just don't see where someone who rolled operative would benefit from leaking information about the operatives to his friend, the HoS.
This, and the fact that I did indeed try and shoot the living shit out of the HoS when I saw him in the hallway.
alphaBeta

Post by alphaBeta » #207113

This is way too much of coincidence but I've thought it over and will lift the bans.
byosfeer

Post by byosfeer » #207120

Many thanks. I appreciate the way everyone handled this. I honestly try not to shit up /tg/, makes me feel real bad when I make stuff like this happen. Thanks again, and my apologies.
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207121

Thank you. We'll both be sure to be very clear in the future when we're on the same IP that everything is indeed happening ingame.
Krusvik
Byond Username: Krusvik

Post by Krusvik » #207281

Locked and moved to resolved.