Jcll - Shark-sie - Rule 0 ban?

Appeals which have been closed.
Shark-sie

Jcll - Shark-sie - Rule 0 ban?

Post by Shark-sie » #389608

Byond account and character name: Shark-sie Mark Kendall
Banning admin: Jcll
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server ban
Ban reason and length: Rule 0 ban, please appeal your recent string of behavior on the forums.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2018-03-10 20:23:44
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story: My best guess is that this is because I threw two spears at an engineer as security yesterday. The engineer was causing problems because I arrested them earlier for breaking into a department (I cant remember if it was the same or previous round, all I know is I saw that name yesterday several times). Name was Sarah something.
Either way, I caught them breaking into science RND by throwing not one but TWO spears at it. Technically by space law, I can drop them a fancy 8-10 minute sentence, but decided I didnt want to put them through another long sentence. Instead, I threw both the spears they were using at them, and stopped pursuit. Apparently they LEFT the spears in, and allowed themselves to die, and then Ahelped it.
If youll look at the ticket, I told Jcll this very fact. I said I only threw the spears they were using to break the law at them, and left them to be. If they left the spears in and then ahelped, they were ban baiting and should be treated as such.
Why you think you should be unbanned: While I have already been talked to about my "behavior" as of late,I have been playing security as to specifically avoid situations where I am becoming the aggressor, instead taking to be aggressed by antags.
However, I fail to see how the "final straw" ends up being throwing someones own spears at them, who as a non-antag made two spears, and started using them to break into science's RND department. While this is not conventional punishment as security, I decided a chunk of brute damage and minor inconvenience was better than ruining this players entire round with another 10 minute sentence, if not another round because I wasnt sure if I had arrested them this or the round previous.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Jcll - Shark-sie - Rule 0 ban?

Post by imblyings » #389619

I would wager this is less about the final straw and more about racking up 20+ notes pointing to a tendency to over-escalate or negatively impact upon the rounds of others without good justification. The argument you probably need to make is less about whatever happened in this incident and whether you can prove that other players won't risk having their rounds shat on if they're playing at the same time as you.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Shark-sie

Post by Shark-sie » #389627

Well, in that regard, as I said ive been trying to play roles that I am not given opportunities to over-escalate. It is my personal opinion that I do a *generally* good job while on security, this case possibly excluded, but feel free to tell me otherwise.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #389691

Appeals usually succeed if you can tell us you can via examples, sometimes from a period of time on other servers that foreign admins can vouch for.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Shark-sie

Post by Shark-sie » #390032

I dont have any other servers that I play on, only TG.
It has come to my attention through discussion on discord that embedding 2 spears is hilariously hyperlethal. While I understand that this ban is about a PATTERN of behavior and not this instance, had I not thought that this would have been a favor and not super lethal, I would have had more time to correct my behavior.
Obviously, that is no excuse for any of the past behavior, and while I dont have much to say about that because there is no good reason any of it happened, I can say that I am aware of it and have made attempts at figuring out why I act this way and how to curb it. Currently I feel like I need to more actively watch myself when I play, and not just everyone else. This has obviously led to the unacceptable outbursts that have created problems
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #390038

Taking a look at your connections you start playing on /tg/ frequently around the start of November. Around 8/12 you received your first note and since then you've received a note on average once every 3 days. At one point in February you received a note almost everyday for a week. You've been told about your behaviour before and you will often argue at length with admins trying to justify your actions despite the admin telling you that you're wrong.

Whatever attitude towards the game you had back in November was clearly good enough that admin attention was not required. Perhaps think to how you played then and how you play now.

I'm willing to lower this to a probation. This is a chance for you to convince us that you can play here without constant overescalation against other players.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #390044

id like to mention that according to logs I have seen you threw three spears into them and if there are only two spears it means you threw one of those spears twice
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #390110

I'm a lot less willing for probation a note on average every three days is awful

I think proving yourself oh another server would be better
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #390121

If you have a note history that rivels some of the worst players in a fraction of the time you need to rethink how you view this game.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #390921

After a discussion among the headmins it's been decided that the ban will stick.

You can always appeal this several months down the line after you've spent time on other servers with good feedback from them.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes