[Cheshify] ShadowedEnvy - "Unprompted" Interaction Note

Appeals which have been closed.
ShadowedEnvy
Byond Username: ShadowedEnvy

[Cheshify] ShadowedEnvy - "Unprompted" Interaction Note

Post by ShadowedEnvy » #634827

BYOND account: ShadowedEnvy
Character name: Adamantine..... something
Ban reason: As a free golem, went to the nearby station to attack the cult currently summoning nearby, bashing a few cultists with toolboxes while on a scooter. Free golems shouldn't be engaging the station unprompted by the station itself, regardless of valid antags or not.
Time ban was placed: 2022-03-24 04:13:29
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 180451
Your side of the story: "Unprompted?" I do not think that it is "unprompted" when there is a warning that cultists are attempting to summon a blood god or whatever about 40 meters from my house. I should have taken a picture of how close-by the golem ship and the lower level of the chapel was, and I'm not sure that maps are saved after roundend, but it was VERY close. The idea that it was "unprompted" of me to attempt to stop it from happening is, frankly, LRP. Yes, nobody physically, directly came into my ship and tried to personally cut my head off in service of their horrible elder god, but what they were doing was very clearly an attack on my, the golem's, physical well-being.

Do you expect ghost roles to just stand by the wayside and do literally nothing as the station does things that affect them? Should the lavaland syndicate simply ignore miners breaking in to steal gear? Should ashwalkers simply ignore miners walking around killing all the tendrils? No. Ghost roles do primarily exist to do their own things, but most are not drones. When the station does something that is going to affect them, they can react. If tg does not want golems to ever fight the cult in this manner, they should code it such that the golem ship cannot spawn directly next to the station at the very least, or change them to have laws that prevent them from interacting with the station at all, even when attacked.

And I want to add that it is personally insulting to imply that I went on station because I was just so bloodthirsty I simply couldn't help but go validhunting. Eugh. It is completely irrelevant whether or not the cultists were "valid".
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Re: [Cheshify] ShadowedEnvy - "Unprompted" Interaction Note

Post by Cheshify » #634865

Thank you for appealing,

In my personal understanding and observing of the round and it's events in question, this note is justified. Beginning with the proximity to the station, the golem ship was in-fact close to the station, but this doesn't justify the act of going onto station to engage in an unprompted conflict with a cult. The station's crew had made no attempt to contact the golem ship, to ask for help or to threaten the golems with conversion, and seeing as how a golem separate from you remained on ship throughout the entire cult fight up until the server reset, I would also argue that the ship was not in any danger.

I do expect ghostroles to stand by the wayside and enjoy their time as a ghostrole and do literally nothing as the station does things that does not effect them in any capacity. The ship remained uncontacted and untouched the entire round, and golem policy (as read in the policy.json) states: Free Golem":"You should seek to build a home for your people upon the rocky soil below you, and should only briefly venture out beyond your homeland to trade or interact with others." Initiating conflict with a cult as it harms crewmates and crewmates alone is not in line with this policy.

Even with these points discussed, there's simply the fact that Free Golems should not be fighting antagonists. The idea of people using Free Golems as a role to engage with a cult, traitor, revolutionaries, or even a blob leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Regarding the last point, I would be amenable to changing the wording of the note, if you find it personally offensive.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #634866

A short follow-up regarding what Timberpoes had to say on this situation in a discussion with them: "Without looking at any context at all, my instinct is "Free Golems should not be fighting antags" - They're free to mine, provide materials, trade weapons, etc. to the station but shouldn't be up there validhunting."
ShadowedEnvy

Post by ShadowedEnvy » #634900

I agree that free golems going to the station to validhunt should not happen, but... I wasn't validhunting. The other golem, whoever they were, did not exist when I left, so I can't speak for their actions. With regards to what Timberpoes said: I think the fact that I wasn't "up there" fighting cult, but instead on the same z-level about 40 meters or so from the ship is what makes this not "unprompted". The cultists were summoning on the lower level of the chapel, and the golem ship was just northeast of the lower level of science maintenance to be clear.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #634950

I've reviewed the situation, and I'm going to be changing the note to better reflect the situation, and this should resolve any personal issues had with the note's wording. I do not intend on removing the note however, as I believe it is an important lesson to learn, especially in this case.

As a free golem ghost role, left to attack the nearby summoning cult on station. Ghost roles are not allowed to interfere with station affairs regardless of proximity unless provoked to do so by the station crew itself.
ShadowedEnvy

Post by ShadowedEnvy » #634978

Okay.