Appeals which have been closed.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

[Daxyeen] Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #405127

Byond account and character name: Tlaltecuhtli Brick Carr
Banning admin:daxyeen
Ban type (What are you banned from?): server ban
Ban reason and length: "Shot a syndicate bom on the shuttle, making it explode early. Caused 8+ people to die. Worst part: Asked the admins if it was bad to shoot the bomb (becasuse shooting a bomb makes sense right?), did it anyways.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2018-05-07 13:37:47
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil):bagil
Your side of the story: I used to break syndi bombs to get their cores so i was 99% sure that would be the result when breaking an active one, I asked the admins before breaking it but they didnt respond until after it blew up like if they said someothing simple like "it explodes" I would have stopped
Why you think you should be unbanned: 8 days seem too much for an accidental bomb explosion like 20 s before round end. I would be fine with 2-3 days of ban
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: [Daxyeen] Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Nilons » #405130

I was on the shuttle and one of the people killed. It really wouldn't have made a difference if it exploded when it was supposed to people had plenty of time to mess with it but no one did.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #405131

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 4b058f12dd

It actually was possible to defuse bombs by hitting them so its plausible he thought that, but its also been a year and a half since it got fixed.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #405132

You prevented people rushing to safety that would be the undamaged part of the shuttle.

Shooting explosives is a bad idea, and even if you can get a bomb core from an unarmed one, what would you think an armed one would do?

If you think something is bad to the point you need to ask the admins if it's bad, then don't go ahead and do it anyways before you get a reply.

You didn't wait 15 seconds for an answer, my message didn't arrive till after the bomb exploded because it took me more than 20 seconds to respond apparently.

This ban from March also played a role in the decision:
Banned for 1440 minutes - During a hostage rescue event, maxcap bombed the shuttle the hostage was on, taking out virology, breaching the church and ending the event instantly. Claimed this was to destroy the turrets on the exterior of the shuttle. A maxcap is not an appropriate tool to do this.
This shows your history with poor ideas of what's acceptable to "win" a scenario, ignoring what consequences and collateral your actions may have.
Nilons wrote:I was on the shuttle and one of the people killed. It really wouldn't have made a difference if it exploded when it was supposed to people had plenty of time to mess with it but no one did.
I saw people running away from the bomb area, the shuttle was untouched on the other edges and the corner room wasn't really breached.
Last edited by Dax Dupont on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #405133

Kor wrote:https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 4b058f12dd

It actually was possible to defuse bombs by hitting them so its plausible he thought that, but its also been a year and a half since it got fixed.
He asked the admins but didn't wait for a reply which shows he wasn't sure. He instantly started shooting the bomb.

He's also been around for many connections since then.

First seen: 2017-09-03 08:47:07
Cyberboss authored and optimumtact committed on Dec 22, 2016
Last edited by Dax Dupont on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #405134

Disclaimer: I was an AdminCandidate online who didn't handle the ticket but helped investigate and witnessed the situation.

For context, this was a syndicate bomb on the escape shuttle, next to the cockpit, which was anchored and ticking down. Tlalteuhtli ignored crew, including those trying to laser him, telling him to stop. He sent an ahelp asking if shooting the bomb was a good idea, and the ahelp was picked up Daxyeen almost immediately, but he'd already started shooting, and by the time the first reply was in the bomb was exploding with 40+ seconds still on the timer.

Per standing rules, it was decided to give 24 hours per death caused, which numbered more then 8 people but was capped at 8 at Dax's discretion.

While of course a syndicate bomb ticking down is stressful, to mess with the bomb without being sure, and asking admins whether something was okay before immediately going through with it, ignoring other crew who were shouting at you to stop, it all adds up to wilful negligence, hence the ban applied.

For reference:

Code: Select all

[2018-04-29 13:26:58.056] ADMINPRIVATE: Ticket #21: Tlaltecuhtli/(Brick Carr): does shooting a bomb disable it - heard by 2 non-AFK admins who have +BAN.
[2018-04-29 13:27:10.994] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:12.028] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:12.859] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:13.698] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:14.821] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:15.595] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:16.421] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:17.236] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:18.213] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:19.069] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:19.834] ATTACK: Brick Carr(tlaltecuhtli) fired at syndicate bomb with 4.6x30mm bullet from Emergency Shuttle (177,24,13)
[2018-04-29 13:27:20.610] GAME: The syndicate bomb that [redacted]/(Harrison Sevester) had primed detonated!
[2018-04-29 13:27:24.705] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: DaxYeen/(Caroline Dupont)->Tlaltecuhtli/(Brick Carr): Ask yourself something, does shoot explosions seem like a good idea to you?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #405149

I was talking about unactived bombs and the one in the syndicate lavaland base which i was sure dont explode when shot (I never tried breaking a live one )

I started shooting the bomb because the syndi bomb has high hp and would have took a lot of bullets to break while i was waiting for response which didnt come even if i think responding yes or no would have took less than 30 seconds
when I examinated the bomb it had like 40 ish sec left so it was pretty much a trolley situation where if I pull the lever there is high chance the bomb doesnt explode or blows up 10s faster and if I dont the bomb explodes anyway
most people I saw were locked in sec brig with no way to get out or were buckled to chairs next to the bomb if they wanted to move away they did have time
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #405155

it took you less than 10 seconds to destroy the bomb.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #405291

It is inevitable that people end up doing dumb shit in pursuit of good goals. I suppose I can understand that there was once a mechanic where you could stop bombs from ticking by destroying them, but I wonder if some commons sense here in regards to the situation would be much more useful. I suppose the trolley argument is interesting since OP may have prevented deaths by shooting the bomb when nobody was around (though that doesn't make as much sense since letting the bomb tick away so that people can get away from it would save much more lives.) Perhaps that was the original intent of the choice to shoot the bomb, but you definitely messed it up. You also made it look much worse that you ahelped before the circumstances showing that you knew this was a fringe situation: but you decided to do so anyway. I think 8 days is a bit harsh though for something that happens at the end of the round, though it does make sense with the body count.

I feel the need to cut this in half to a 4 day ban just due to the fact that I can see the OP clearly made an extremely dumb decision that wasn't outwardly malicious, though they don't have a particularly horrible history for their notes. Additionally, there is an argument that doing shit on the shuttle isn't as horrible as doing it at round start (though I do not want to set any precedent for that since that may encourage people in the wrong way.) I would say this probably would be your last warning when it comes to using explosives since they don't seem to do you much good.

Any other headmin can post in this thread as well, but I think we are done here.

edit: I'll keep this unlocked for a day to see if OP has anything else to say.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #405301

CitrusGender wrote:
I feel the need to cut this in half to a 4 day ban
done
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #406116

If we’ve established it wasn’t malicious what is the purpose of barring him from playing the game?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #406141

Cobby wrote:If we’ve established it wasn’t malicious what is the purpose of barring him from playing the game?
Forgot to lock this. The problem here is that it was extremely careless and not well thought out. He knew his actions were bad but he did them anyways. Perhaps not intentionally, but extremely carelessly. Malice is important for determining future behavior, through carelessness needs to be curbed since it's almost as bad as malice.