Post by massa » #644771

BYOND account: Massa100

Character name: Julia Toolbox

Ban type: Forum ban

Ban length: Permanent, I presume

Ban reason: Image

Time ban was placed: 6/18/2022 at 11:58 PM forum time

Round ID in which ban was placed: This is a forum ban

Your side of the story: I got rowdy in the place everyone got rowdy (player's club). Quite frankly, I didn't get even as rowdy as the crowd tends to get.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I'm not sure why I'm banned at all. I made one joke, once upon a time, that I think one person strongly disliked. However, this was a joke. This is a joke I've (and EVERYONE) made about Terry or Sybil probably several dozen times. I've made this joke about Terry. In fact, I've bombed Terry, and released many diseases there, many times. Since 2012, across the various servers. We all have. Greys this, security that, Terry this, Sybil that, bomb there, bomb brig, etc, and yes, Manuel now, because it is a community itself too. It was a joke. Playful banter. Meaningless, and you knew it when you warned me about it. It wasn't even as harsh, heavy, serious, or consequential as half the shit that gets said on the forums in a while. I don't accept the charge that I was 'encouraging players to grief' on Manuel, but I didn't speak up because it wasn't worth the gas to appeal. In reference to this here:
This was the first note. "I'm going to do this silly thing i wouldn't do eventually if the madness continues!!" That's it? That's a third of my permanent ban?

Here's the second part. Image
I forget what I said but there was a greater point to it in the context, and grievance was taken with my flippant attitude. I think I was complaining about balance or something of an antag or policy. I forget, this note comes with no link or reference. This warning warned of removal from the FNR section, not sudden permanent wholesale ban. Regardless, I recognized the warning and apologized there on the spot via PM. I accepted it, and DID stop shitting up policy and coding feedback as a result of it.

Here's the final third of my permanent ban, posted in a peanut thread about a player that was permanently banned for shooting the crew with his guns and then detonating the nuke as a nuclear operative. I found this ridiculous and made it clear. I had a point.
I don't think this post is aggressive enough to even call it toxic. I was stating a genuine opinion about the majesty of some recent Manuel bans. I called Manuel a "clown server" in an insane peanut thread lol. I stated that the bans and standards of MRP servers were insane to me. I stated this in a peanut thread ABOUT the ban on the casual subforum for being casual and chatting shit. How do these two or three instances warrant a permanent forum ban?

Anything else we should know: Throwing peanuts in a peanut thread should not get you permabanned. I'll put sincere efforts to make my points more clearly with less of what some feel is toxicity, collateral and direct, regardless.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: [Mothblocks] Massa100 - Tribal War, by Damian Marley

Post by Mothblocks » #644775

I don't think we have timed bans on the forums, but if we did I would've placed this at around 16 days.

If you are unhappy with that I can continue with the appeal later.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #644778

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:41 am
I don't think we have timed bans on the forums, but if we did I would've placed this at around 16 days.

If you are unhappy with that I can continue with the appeal later.
Yeah I don't think I did anything wrong tbqhwy senpai
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #644822

Some additional context for the first warning:

The post in question was made within a policy discussion thread. Not only was it encouraging rule breaking, but it was off topic, and made in a place of serious discussion.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644827

A lot of this is worded weird because it's under the implication this is a permanent ban. That's totally fair enough, I forgot to actually give a time because it's all manual on the forums. Aside from that, I would very much disagree that this kind of shit flinging is something the forums are better with.

Two forum rules come to mind here:
1.2: Posts only designed to antagonize or otherwise escalate the situation are generally considered spam. Try to be civil about your grievances
...which is basically a retelling of the more deliberate (though more personalized?):
7. Please be respectful of other users. You can disagree with someone without being a hostile douchebag.
You have a repeated history of unproductive and toxic posts on the forum, which can be evidenced by the fact that you've already been warned about these types of post twice before (including in policy discussion). It's not a ban for not liking Manuel, it's a ban for so consistently using your dislike of Manuel as a way to make the forums a more hostile place to be in.

I understand we disagree on whether or not they're actually toxic, and I'm not really sure there's any way I can convince you of that. I'm not alone in my assumption--I got a few sanity checks from other staff members, and the post you were banned for was reported by another (non-staff) user.

Believe it or not, but I do see peanut galleries at least attempting to hold a productive conversation about the things they are peanutting fairly often. Your post was the only post in there that got reported.

In case anyone is wondering, since I was asked this a handful of times, I decided not to make this post approval because it often feels like post approval is more a punishment for the admins than it is for the players. That being said, because of your response here:
I'll put sincere efforts to make my points more clearly with less of what some feel is toxicity, collateral and direct, regardless.
I'm happy to offer a trade of a 16 day complete posting ban to a 24 day post approval ban, meaning you'll still be able to post but an admin will have to +1 it.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #644857

Mothblocks wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 am I understand we disagree on whether or not they're actually toxic, and I'm not really sure there's any way I can convince you of that. I'm not alone in my assumption--I got a few sanity checks from other staff members, and the post you were banned for was reported by another (non-staff) user.

Believe it or not, but I do see peanut galleries at least attempting to hold a productive conversation about the things they are peanutting fairly often. Your post was the only post in there that got reported.
We can only agree that they could be gentler. I had valid complaints about serial pathological admin actions from Mannymins like the original thread's ban was from (which this thread isn't about and isn't the place for). I have points, it is not wholesale shit flung in every direction, but I feel I am making actual points with each spoonful I launch, hyperbolic and flippant as they may be, especially in a pnut thread.

I can always change the way I walk through the world and interact with it, but remember that this is still /tg/station in name and vibe. People here are edgy, chaotic, scattered. They're aggressive, with aggressive personalities, and this is why they get along and have formed a good community. I don't think I am out of line at all.
Mothblocks wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 am I'm happy to offer a trade of a 16 day complete posting ban to a 24 day post approval ban, meaning you'll still be able to post but an admin will have to +1 it.
This sounds humiliating for everyone fam.
mrmelbert wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:10 pm Not only was it encouraging rule breaking
No, it wasn't. Why clutch at every pearl you can? Mannymins are not a protected class of citizen and Manuel is not a sacred cow. I was making an absurd comment, on something I found absurd, no less. That's a point, isn't it? These jokes are just that, jokes. Seriously, putting a bounty on bombing a video game server I've played forever? "Aaaa blabla MRP hugbox hurrbuburbrb." These jokes won't ever end. They are manuel being included, and here you are slamming people with BANS because you dislike the vibe.