CVSPharmacy
Byond Username: CVS_Pharmacy

[Harricross] cvspharmacy - Remote detonating bombs as non-antag

Post by CVSPharmacy » #679726

BYOND account: CVS_Pharmacy
Character name: William Foster
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: As a non antagonist scientist, detonated a TTV in Medical, killing two and making the area uninhabitable with an explosion radius of D: 4, H: 8, L: 16. When questioned in ahelps, said "I DIDN'T MEAN TO SOME JACKASS JUST TOOK MY BOMBS AND RAN AWAY." the bomb was pulsed by you, there was really no reason to detonate it. CVS_Pharmacy used the remote signaling device @ location (133, 107, 2) : 145.7/54. With low hours, history of bombing as a non-antagonist and lying in ahelps, the current admins on do not expect you to abide by the rules. Proceeded to talk IC about being banned before the ban. This ban (BanID #65148) was applied by Harricross on 2023-03-15 00:03:15 during the round ID 201834. This is a permanent Ban.
Time ban was placed: 2023-03-15 00:03:15
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 201834
Your side of the story: I had two ttvs in my hands while walking around outside of sci, trying to find the AI since someone had said something about the AI being unruly. Obviously this looked bad to Sean roby, who asked me why, to which I said "Science." We had a scuffle, since he likely thought I was planning on doing something bad, and stole the ttvs which he ran away with.

I then stupidly decided to detonate the bombs -- using the signaler which I had in a secure briefcase -- which apparently took about a minute to do, during which time Sean Roby apparently ran around looking for someone to confiscate the bombs so that they couldn't be used for nefarious purposes. This, obviously, didn't work since I was able to signal the bombs that were apparently in medical.

When PM'd by Harricross, I was still rather flustered by the encounter and said that I hadn't meant to blow the bombs [in medical], but instead only replied to the admin's question of "why did you blow up medbay?" with "I didn't mean to," something that means the same thing but can be easily misconstrued as me trying to grief and obfuscate what happened. The ooc ic thing was dumb, I should've remembered that I was on an MRP server that is stricter about that sort of thing, I've since refamiliarized myself with the rules.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I understand how things looked. I regret my actions and have taken a bit to make this appeal to think things over. Ever since I've been banned I've been playing on TGMC and it's been a great experience, I've been practicing self control and learning that it's better to use words than acting out. Like when an unga uses a pepperball gun on me for no reason, I usually talk to them or an admin and it gets resolved. I want to continue playing on TGstation because I really do enjoy the community and its systems. I would really be grateful if I could have another chance to get back into TG. If possible maybe I could have a temporary ban on scientist? To learn other classes and stay out of trouble with ttvs.
References of good conduct: TGMC, (72 hours)
Anything else we should know: Could I have ahelped about him taking the bombs or would I have just had to chase him down?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Harricross] cvspharmacy - Remote detonating bombs as non-antag

Post by Vekter » #679763

The history Harricross is talking about involves both this ban and one I handed out on 3/12 for a similar show of poor decision making.
Set off a bomb in the main hallway to test it because the bomb testing range was on fire. Harmed nobody but himself so only a day ban. Claims this was out of ignorance but yelled "ALLAHU AKBAR" before doing it.
The only other notes this player has are an informational one regarding him knowing another player outside of the game and an IC in OOC warning. All three of these incidents were within four days of each other.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Harricross
Byond Username: Harricross

Post by Harricross » #679800

Hi, thanks for making an appeal.

In short, I'll be lifting the ban whenever next I am on and changing it into a note, there is no need for a job specific ban as you've requested.

Learning how to make bombs and detonating them is fun considering how potentially devastating they can be, however that should not equate to using a poor excuse to blow them up without regards to the consequences. There was logging showing you repeatedly pressing your remote signaler with the intention to blow up the bomb once it was stolen, this would've a slap on the wrist for you had whoever stolen it detonated the bomb by themselves instead and if the bomb did not affect a major part of the station and kill several people.

When creating dangerous equipment that has the capacity to decimate a large area, you are responsible for giving your best effort to keep them from causing damage as a non-antagonist. This does not mean carrying a bulky armed TTV in the hallways without any reasonable threats to use it on.

I believe that you understand these points now with what you've wrote in the appeal and with the amount of time that has passed, welcome back.
CVSPharmacy
Byond Username: CVS_Pharmacy

Post by CVSPharmacy » #679813

Thank you for the opportunity to come back again. Also a quick question, mentor help is for in game questions of like how do I make this or that right? Or is it like a less powerful admin? Because I usually can't get others to help teach me something and I was wondering if that was its purpose.
Harricross
Byond Username: Harricross

Post by Harricross » #679822

It's been a couple of days since I've been on, but to my knowledge I do not think there is a mentor help. Admins are generally fine with people asking questions in ahelps, you are always free to ahelp it. The worst that can happen is a response of, "no idea" or no response at all.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #679855

We don't have a mentor system and, to my knowledge, there's no plans to add one to our codebase.

As Harricross noted, you're welcome to ask in adminhelps or, if no admins are online, you can ask other players in-game (we're not usually huge sticklers about discussing OOC topics in-game if it's related to you learning how to play) or make use of our wiki, which is hosted at https://tgstation13.org/wiki/.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you