Appeals which have been closed.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

[shaps] Yackemflam - Blowing up brig as clock cult

Post by yackemflam » #198644

Byond account and character name: Yackemflam - Akarani Yamaguchi
Banning admin: Shaps
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Teamantags
Ban reason and length: Suicide bombing brig without communicating with their team first - Perma
Time ban was placed (including time zone):Just now
Your side of the story: I made bombs and got converted by Terry midway. Terry went out and blow up the front of brig. I was to be blamed for because 'Akarani blows up everything, arrest her' meme. So I went out and tried to blow up the brig. I went into the brig office and got stuck in the office. I activated my bombs.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I had no real choice. The crew deemed me for death and I tried to make myself more useful by blowing up what was left of sec and destroying armory, and killing HoS + CMO.
smittn
Byond Username: Smittn

Re: [shaps] Yackemflam - Blowing up brig as clock cult

Post by smittn » #198646

I'd like to chime in that I was a round-start cultist and I had converted Yackem early on and had forgotten to give her a slab, we split the ttv's like civilized people and I told them my signals and not to hit them. I then went a bombed security first (two max caps right outside the brig in the hallway) as soon as I finished everyone screamed "AKRANI MADE THE BOMBS LYNCH HER" etc. etc. and I bailed and changed clothes. Then I believe Yackem went in and used the breach I made and bombed the back room/armory.

I don't believe this ban was justified please remove post haste
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #198649

You didn't converse with your team about this at all. You could have gone into hiding, you could have used a different identity, you could have done many other things than immediately make 3 more bombs and re-bomb the freshly triple maxcapped brig (that Terry managed to do without killing himself). The cult only had 2 people alive after you blew yourself up, running off and getting yourself killed to bomb somewhere that was already bombed was a waste and a detriment to your team.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #198650

There's also the fact that the bombs effectively crippled sec for the rest of the round and even though clock cult was found out early, the cult was eventually able to convert the AI and secure a victory.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #198654

Were any other cultists killed in the blast?
Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #198655

No one else was harmed but me.

I've also completely forgotten that rule.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #198657

Shaps wrote:You didn't converse with your team about this at all. You could have gone into hiding, you could have used a different identity, you could have done many other things than immediately make 3 more bombs and re-bomb the freshly triple maxcapped brig (that Terry managed to do without killing himself). The cult only had 2 people alive after you blew yourself up, running off and getting yourself killed to bomb somewhere that was already bombed was a waste and a detriment to your team.
I was stuck in brig. What would you do in that situation?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #198662

I was cultist. When I asked about other cultists at round start, only one guy replied. I was fucking around in hidden surgery for quite a few minutes but no one else replied. I asked at least 3 times.

I learned Akarani was cultist after I passed her dual wielding signalers in the hallway, and shit started to explode everywhere.

--edit

I guess Terry McFall was the round start 3rd. So my input is less relevant.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #198664

All I'm asking is that you communicate with your team before going off on a suicide mission, because you shouldn't be leaving your team in a position where they're down to 2 men without them knowing what's happening. If you can agree to that, I'll lift the ban.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #198675

Shaps wrote:All I'm asking is that you communicate with your team before going off on a suicide mission, because you shouldn't be leaving your team in a position where they're down to 2 men without them knowing what's happening. If you can agree to that, I'll lift the ban.
I agree on communications. I do it all of the time before I bomb stuff. BUT this time I was thinking quickly before things went bad. If I hadn't suicide bomb I could've gotten captured by sec and then sec would have 3 maxcaps to fight the cult. Sec was looking for me and the station was going to lynch me.

PDA'ing a cult member is also very risky.

All in all I had very little choice and very little time and I tried to make a smart one.
Last edited by yackemflam on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #198684

Double post whoops
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #198685

I support this appeal. Obviously two cultists working in toxins together, sharing signal information, etc. carries the implicit understanding that bombs are going to be a part of the cult's strategy. Given that there were only 3-4 cultists at this point, two of them cooperating in toxins gives them enough legitimacy to carry this out - this wasn't a rogue cult cell that went against the wishes of 10 others.

After being told for so long I couldn't ban people for doing shit like grabbing an uzi 5 minutes into gang and sprinting into the brig on a suicide murderspree, there doesn't seem to be a basis for this ban. Bombing the brig that early wasn't optimal for the clock cult, but the brig IS the source of the cult's biggest threat and Akarani was being blamed for ANOTHER cultist's bombs, which makes it very hard for them to go around converting and setting stuff up if the AI/Crew are hunting them down for a bombing they didn't even conduct. It makes a decent amount of tactical sense for Akarani be the bombing scapegoat and blow herself up so that nobody else gets hunted and the bomber's true nature (crew finding the slab when they arrest her) wasn't revealed.

Again this was a pretty lame strategy, but we've given wide berth to team antags making poor decisions, even ones that get the shuttle called sooner. One of the other cultists already spoke out in favor of removing the ban, I don't see a reason for it to stay either.

@Shaps: Suicide bombs are also a way to be 100% sure you aren't hitting unintended people and it removes the risk that she would be caught and ID'd as a cultist while the station hunted for her. Unless we change our policy I don't see how we can support revs/gangers/etc. sprinting into the brig with a pathetic weapon and getting cucked immediately, revealing their team, and often getting converted to the ENEMY team, while Akarani at least produced an effect on security before she died.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #198693

yackemflam wrote:
Shaps wrote:All I'm asking is that you communicate with your team before going off on a suicide mission, because you shouldn't be leaving your team in a position where they're down to 2 men without them knowing what's happening. If you can agree to that, I'll lift the ban.
I agree on communications. I do it all of the time before I bomb stuff. BUT this time I was thinking quickly before things went bad. If I hadn't suicide bomb I could've gotten captured by sec and then sec would have 3 maxcaps to fight the cult. Sec was looking for me and the station was going to lynch me.

All in all I had very little choice and very little time and I tried to make a smart one.
Alright, I was probably a bit too quick to pull the trigger and assumed the worst in this scenario that you didn't have the team's interests at heart, and I now see that was wrong. The bans and notes will be lifted, and I apologize for the incident
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #198697

Shaps wrote:
yackemflam wrote:

Alright, I was probably a bit too quick to pull the trigger and assumed the worst in this scenario that you didn't have the team's interests at heart, and I now see that was wrong. The bans and notes will be lifted, and I apologize for the incident
Thank you. Now to get this other ban out of the way.