Maintenance Access Config

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Should Assistants and Security get round-start maintenance access in high-population rounds?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Neither of them should get maint access during high population rounds
14%
14%
14%
Both of them should get maint access during high population rounds
17%
17%
17%
No opinion
2%
No opinion
2%
No opinion
2%

Total votes: 225

iRazgriz

Re: [Runoff Poll] Maintenance Access Config (VOTE AGAIN!)

Post by iRazgriz » #62072

Bottom post of the previous page:

Violaceus wrote:Not all heads have maintenance access.

If we decide to give maint. to both assistants and security, maybe consider giving it to RD and CMO also?

And, while I am for maint. for both parties, I can not not notice it would be another change that makes detective less and less important.
Next thing we know is that there are scanners in sec lockers and the detective is left to be a useless, gimmicky job with basically 0 relevance.
Not like now it's really relevant.
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Re: [Poll] Maintenance Access Config

Post by Kot » #62246

lumipharon wrote:they could go ask the HoP for a job, or maint access. It takes 10 seconds and I have not once been denied.
Do you actually play at all?
There was 0 times HoP gave greyshirt me any access except when some other head told him to do so.
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #62364

when im hop i give maint to anyone who asks for it
maint is one of the most useful accesses IMO, since you can do so much with it. i love having maint access in any job and wouldnt deny that to others unless i know for a fact that theyre going to kill someone there or something
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #62368

Looks like this will be down for headmin decision.

Le top keks
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #62511

Literally everytime I play assistant, I ask for maint access and get it, usually no questions asked. Or you know, apply for an actual job. As long as you're not a dick/the HoP is a cunt, there is zero issues.
The only time I've not gotten it is when the hop decides to be a paper pusher and I can't be assed, which is perfectly fine.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #62598

If you guys allow assistants to have maint, it will affect 10-20 people on a highpop round.
If you allow security to have maint, it will affect max 7 people on a highpop round (and even on a highpop it's not uncommon to have an understaffed sec team).

It boils down to "what kind of a maintenance do we want?"; a dark, deserted place meants mainly for antags to create their own gimmicky thing, or just another hallway but without lights?
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #62687

kosmos wrote:It boils down to "what kind of a maintenance do we want?"; a dark, deserted place meants mainly for antags to create their own gimmicky thing, or just another hallway but without lights?
100% this. I'm disappointed so many people want their unlit hallway.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #63247

It's not like Assistants are only good for new players, even though I regularly play Sec, HoP and Captain sometimes, I go Assistant for goofing off (note: not greytiding) and wandering around the station without having to worry about fucking over the rest of the station by not doing my job. Sometimes I just want to wander around maintenance and find all the cool shit hidden in there like gas masks, space cash, donk pockets, and other cool shit, but I can't do that if I'm a chemist who's supposed to actually be doing a job. Taking Maintenance away from Assistants would cripple their ability to explore and learn the layout of the station, plus it would limit experienced players with what they could do.

Plus, you think everyone's just gonna stand around at the HoP's office every round to get basic access like that? The HoP already has lots of legitimate job transfers and access changes they need to process, throwing a bunch of Assistants at him at the beginning of every round will just make things slower

Edit: Also, if you really want to do sneaky shit in Maint as an antag, just make a fake wall or something, 99% of the time no one will be the wiser and you'll have a neat little rape dungeon all for yourself
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #63284

If you canot wait inline for 3 minutes/cannot keep yourself entertained outside of maint for 5 mintes then well shit, don't know what to say.
In the time it takes me to FASHION, before going to the HoP as an assistant, the roundstart is (usually) always gone.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63293

I set both servers to have sec/ass maint on. I also set the minimal access threshold to 20.

If the poll outcome changes by tomorrow I'll update the config.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #63362

They both should get it or none should get it at all. Neither honestly have any reason to have it, but if assistants are given maint access I see now logical reason to deny it to sec.
/vg/station Head Admin
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Maintenance Access Config

Post by Incomptinence » #63539

Purist maint is a colossal waste of space and should probably be parred down on most stations if it is going to be an elite club.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #63676

Shaps wrote:Sometimes I just want to wander around maintenance and find all the cool shit hidden in there like gas masks, space cash, donk pockets, and other cool shit, but I can't do that if I'm a chemist who's supposed to actually be doing a job.
Who doesn't like having fun without contributing to the game itself? Can't you first just do your roundstart job-stuff for 10 minutes THEN go explore maint/space/do whatever you want?
Shaps wrote:Taking Maintenance away from Assistants would cripple their ability to explore and learn the layout of the station, plus it would limit experienced players with what they could do.
No, it wouldn't. With this logic all Assistants should have all-access, if it's really only about "learning the station's layout".

And I'm not sure what you mean by limiting experienced players, but how is it bad to guide experienced players to other jobs that are more useful to the station?
Shaps wrote:Plus, you think everyone's just gonna stand around at the HoP's office every round to get basic access like that?
No, that's the point. I think people would get sick of that and join as a useful job next round.
Shaps wrote:Also, if you really want to do sneaky shit in Maint as an antag, just make a fake wall or something, 99% of the time no one will be the wiser and you'll have a neat little rape dungeon all for yourself
I haven't played antag enough to know if that's true or not, but you'd still need to drag your victim there, only to be stumbled upon one of the 15 assistants roaming there.