Remove Wizard?

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Remove wizard?

Yes
4%
No
80%
Keep it, but with changes
16%

Total votes: 93

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: Remove Wizard?

Post by peoplearestrange » #108397

Bottom post of the previous page:

I just felt the poll was fairly clear on the original question. But was unsure, hence why I asked and didn't just do it.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Re: Remove

Post by Miauw » #108403

Cik wrote:the real issue with wizard is how abusable and stackable the escape spells are

if you just made wizard a master of CC with icewalls/firewalls/fireball/whatever spells it would be ok, but as it is most of them spam escape spells and it's just 30 minutes of chasing around some asshole with 3 teleports until someone lands a lucky baton and he dies.

it's fucking tiring man
i really agree with this.
it's probably the real problem and ei nath is getting undeserved flak, but idk what to do about it. ideas?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #108405

Introduce a TC like system for wizards where each spell has a different cost, make escape spells cost more and/or restrict the amount of escape spells you can take.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #108496

Just do that datum antags thing that was proposed and make wizard a part of it. The problem with wizard is that when the one person with power is really crap at their job, there's no excitement from anything else. But so long as there's a good wizard or some other antagonists, it's a great mode.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #108538

Miauw wrote:
Cik wrote:the real issue with wizard is how abusable and stackable the escape spells are

if you just made wizard a master of CC with icewalls/firewalls/fireball/whatever spells it would be ok, but as it is most of them spam escape spells and it's just 30 minutes of chasing around some asshole with 3 teleports until someone lands a lucky baton and he dies.

it's fucking tiring man
i really agree with this.
it's probably the real problem and ei nath is getting undeserved flak, but idk what to do about it. ideas?

new spells are needed that can effectively control large crowds without resorting to autoaim magic missile spam. spells that are already in that can do these things need to be buffed. if that does not do the trick, apply slight nerfs to magic missile and jaunt, which are the real offenders. make ei nath back to the way it used to be, it's just a symptom of the real problem is that teleport exit/entry is simply too easy for wizards and thus it's the only combo that's ever seen.

fireball and other direct destruction spells need to be more dangerous, and frankly i would add much larger versions of them like a meteor or ice comet spell, etc, long cooldown spells that cause enormous destruction like bombs and can quickly take out crowds. as it is teleport is abused so much because nothing else in the wizard kit can help your survival against the sort of threats you will be dealing with, that is, large quantities of stuns in the form of security and large disarm/knock/harm spam from assistant hordes.

you don't have to remove or change much, but there must be more options. unfortunately i guess adding only a few would require a reasonable amount of work but my suggestions are

meteor: blows up like a bomb, fireball writ large. slow moving projectile but okay range. can quickly kill grouped targets
color spray: short range, very low cooldown cone stun with moderate length. allows control of near-wizard area
cone of cold: chills the air very quickly in cone in front of the wizard, slowing down chasers. moderate cooldown
firewall: creates ethereal fire, can be used to block off hallways, maintenance tunnels or other places people are running after you. long cooldown.

spells that may need a nerf: MM, jaunt

MM: simply is too braindead too use, nearly unavoidably stuns everything nearby, including sillicons. allows ei nath abuse because suddenly everything is an immobile completely helpless target. the only real reason ei nath is actually used at all. no real counterplay or skill involved if it stays it should be inferior to more skill-based, shorter range or cone stun spells, if it goes it should be replaced by the former.

jaunt: simply the most powerful spell the wizard has, immense teleporting range, incorporeal meanwhile, and doesn't seem to have a downside. grants effectively unlimited access, allows perfect ei nath ambushes, and nearly uncounterable escape spell.

as far as i'm concerned pretty much everything else the wizard kit has is flatly inferior to ei nath, MM, jaunt. and 90% of wizards seem to agree with me to be honest.

edit: i guess the real implicit problem is that the wizard simply cannot use anything other than escape wizard if he wants to take on any real percentage of the station at a time and survive. the hope is that through tweaking other styles will become possible. i mean, there is more to the wizard or sorceror than simple autoaim stun, all purpose teleport and touch explode spell. why aren't ranged blaster wizards, crowd control wizards, enchantment wizards, or illusion wizards a thing? seems like the mode doesn't explore even a fraction of the potential.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #108762

Fixing wizard in two steps:

1st: Reduce wizard chance by a lot
2nd: Remove summon guns and summon magic spells
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #108764

SoS?
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #108777

Steelpoint wrote:Introduce a TC like system for wizards where each spell has a different cost, make escape spells cost more and/or restrict the amount of escape spells you can take.
This
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #108803

Ahammer18 wrote: a huge and unnecessary clusterfuck of murder
That's the entire point. Wizard round are quick, chaotic, fun rounds that serve as a break from the tedium of longer, more drawn out rounds.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #108947

Cik wrote:new spells are needed that can effectively control large crowds without resorting to autoaim magic missile spam.
>what is repulse
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109131

not really in favour of removing the mode but PLEASE reduce the occurrence.

11.6% wizard rounds is way too much.

set it to 7%.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #109584

CPTANT wrote:not really in favour of removing the mode but PLEASE reduce the occurrence.

11.6% wizard rounds is way too much.

set it to 7%.
> not 50%
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #109597

Do NOT remove wizard, but lower the chance of the roundtype being wizard. It's something obscene like 10.4%, and it used to be even higher. It should be on-par with blob and so forth.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #109658

Luke Cox wrote:
Ahammer18 wrote: a huge and unnecessary clusterfuck of murder
That's the entire point. Wizard round are quick, chaotic, fun rounds that serve as a break from the tedium of longer, more drawn out rounds.
You've never seen the stalemate 40-60 minute long rounds of the wizard recalling the shuttle every time?
TwitchTail13
Byond Username: TwitchTail13

Post by TwitchTail13 » #114800

I think wizard rounds should have lowered probability.
Shaps wrote:The fact that you're asking if you need a reason to kill someone is deeply, deeply troubling