Antag Tokens in FNR

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Antag Tokens in FNR

Post by onleavedontatme » #98696

I've been handing out "antag tokens" to people who successfully appeal bad or mistaken bans in FNR, as an apology/compensation for the unfair ban (and having to post in the worst section of the forums).

The "token" is just a Note for the player because the system isn't real, so to redeem it they'll have to adminhelp and let the admins online know about its existence. Generally they'll be turned into a traitor upon redeeming it, but it depends on the round/mood of admins online.

Previously I've been letting the note get deleted upon redemption, but there is probably a better way to handle this in the interests of transparency/our obsession with log keeping. Maybe add REDEEMED next to it, so the format would be

-Antag Token: [reason given] -REDEEMED

I encourage other admins to message Sticky or I if they feel one is warranted, but I'd prefer they not give them out themselves.

Also, as ever, I'd like feedback on this, and ideas on whether the system should be expanded at all (I gave a player one today for volunteering to help me test the ban database).

I have no idea who came up with the phrase antag token, but credit to them for the general idea.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Antag Tokens in FNR

Post by Saegrimr » #98698

If you're actually wanting to stick with this antag token system which we kind of abandoned not too long ago, I think just removing the note is enough. If there's no note there then no token.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #98699

Saegrimr wrote:If you're actually wanting to stick with this antag token system which we kind of abandoned not too long ago, I think just removing the note is enough. If there's no note there then no token.
I'd just like to be able to pretend to be keeping track of why they were handed out so it doesn't turn into admins doing it for players they like because something vague like "good roleplay"
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #98713

Ehhhh

It should be headmin only, with the state of events (Even excluding the perceived problems, just the controversy is enough)this will be argued heavily the first time anyone smells conspiracy, real or imagined, So "I encourage other admins to do it" is really not the best idea ever, even if you qualify it immediately after, that should be a less squishy statement.

Perhaps "I encourage other admins to ask headmins to grant tokens" would be more apt for what you're trying to do with this.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #98731

code it as an actual system and it will see more use
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #98732

oranges wrote:code it as an actual system and it will see more use
Do we want it to see more use? Ideally, this should only be used when someone fucks up.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #98733

Because it would be bad to reward people for good behavior or exemplary play?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #98736

oranges wrote:Because it would be bad to reward people for good behavior or exemplary play?
Because it would be bad for circlejerk, and brown nosing or the appearance thereof.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #98740

admins can already antag people, they can already do these things. I don't think making it easier is somehow going to cause a flood of circlejerking and brownnosing.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #98741

oranges wrote:Because it would be bad to reward people for good behavior or exemplary play?
Because it would be bad to reward people with a limited, otherwise randomly-distributed resource. Antag rounds are a zero sum game, and we currently have an issue with antag play being generally much more fun than non-antag play. This sort of reward for one person being "exemplary" (by whatever measurement) punishes whoever else would otherwise have received it.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #98742

I didn't envisage them affecting the current antag rolls, more that they'd be added after the base rolls
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #98748

Keep it headmin only. When all thirty active admins do something in moderation it ends up happening a hundred times a week.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #98755

A player told me they abused this because no one removed his note and he "redeemed" an antag token 3 times before It got removed.
We were also told a couple of months/years ago to discontinue ever giving these out. There's a thread in the sooper sekret admin forums about it.
Kor can do it but I probably wont.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #98760

For reference, the thread mentioned.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #98761

I think keeping a record of when people get and redeem antag tokens is a good way forward, perhaps a code solution might be a good solution.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #98764

Jordie0608 wrote:For reference, the thread mentioned.
Thanks. I'll keep it to headmins only then, and only for OOC stuff. Probably FNR only.

Maybe reward players for reporting game breaking bugs instead of abusing them would be an okay use? I mean I don't like the idea of bribing people to not destroy the game or to help fix it but realistically it would probably increase bug reporting.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #98773

It would be incentivising it more so than bribing.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #100835

That'd be nice. Last time I reported a bug I just got told, "Okay thanks, now I'm going to ban you if you ever use it again." Kinda an improvement on that.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #100916

Probably because: 02-May-2015 | Used the Fluacid exploit. Warned. ~vekter [-]. You knew what you were doing. Don't try to paint everything your way.
The bug was also reported 2 months before this note and was known about even before that meaning again, you knew what you were doing.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/8179
I don't mean to take this topic off topic but really, don't justify an argument with that.
Edit: Found an older one: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/6276
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #101003

Oh, that's a bug? Well, there goes my next malpractice MD idea...
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #101006

TheNightingale wrote:Oh, that's a bug? Well, there goes my next malpractice MD idea...
I don't think it's a bug anymore so don't worry.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #101066

NikNakFlak wrote:Probably because: 02-May-2015 | Used the Fluacid exploit. Warned. ~vekter [-]. You knew what you were doing. Don't try to paint everything your way.
The bug was also reported 2 months before this note and was known about even before that meaning again, you knew what you were doing.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/8179
I don't mean to take this topic off topic but really, don't justify an argument with that.
Edit: Found an older one: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/6276
I don't go through bug reports to find exploits. I don't know why vekter has some problem with me, and I had no idea it was against the rules at the time. I even showed him how I did it. Assuming bad faith is pretty shitty.

I'm just getting tired of this. Just because I had one controversial admin complaint that stirred up drama doesn't mean I'm anti-admin or looking to cause trouble. All I wanted was a reasonable resolution and it's not my fault the administration fought with each other over it. I think tg has some of the best administration of any online game. I don't have anything against any admins. I don't want to be labeled as "that guy" and I don't want to get pulled into the drama. But it seems most interactions I have with a few certain admins you guys claim to just know that anything I'm not supposed to be doing I'm doing intentionally.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #101100

I don't think this should be a system. Coming from a customer service call center background, this feels like a "Manager Credit" sort of thing. Rare and valuable. The silent majority could and would abuse it.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med