Ideas for the /tg/ code repo

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Ideas for the /tg/ code repo

Post by paprika » #64331

This isn't about the game, this is about the github repo itself ( https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station )

Keep discussion about the game out of here, please.

There's really no place to properly discuss what needs to change in the code repo as far as issues and pull requests are concerned. The most you can do is just cross your fingers and hope HG or Cheridan hears you. It's honestly a fucking nightmare that we have to wait for these barely scheduled roundtables to discuss shit.

Things we REALLY NEED:

- MANDATORY changelogs for ANY PR tagged "Feature", "Balance", or "Map Edit". This ensures that NOTHING gets into the game without players who give a fuck knowing. I've been lazy about this because making changelogs when nobody else does is literally an afterthought nobody really gives much attention to. We also need someone to compile the changelog twice a week minimum.

- A proper, SMALL AND CONCISE format for issue/bug reports. I'd be more than happy to provide one, but our issue tracker is a fucking mess at the moment.

- REMOVE THE 24H LIMIT FOR PRS, IT SUCKS DICK AND ONLY HINDERS FIXES BY MAKING THEM QUICKLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT. The only real argument I can see for keeping the 24h limit around is so that all maintainers get a chance to look at it, but this is fucking stupid considering more than half of our current maintainers barely manage to log in 3-4 times a week. It's completely archaic and a waste of time to keep this here. We need to fix massive bugs quickly and it's hard to fix them when you know you'll have to wait 24h and potentially have your PR shit on by merge conflicts you have to fix.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Ideas for the /tg/ code repo

Post by Vekter » #64350

1) How hard is it to compile the changelog? Can someone who has minimal BYOND coding knowledge do it? I wouldn't mind doing this for you guys.

2) I'll write it up when I'm at my desktop, but I've basically been posting the server revision, a concise summary of the bug, steps to repro, expected outcome and actual outcome. I think this works well.

E: http://pastebin.com/FL2gZsds Feel free to propose changes. Also does anyone know of a good pastebin-like site that does collab?

3) Agreed. Only keep the 24hr rule if at least one maintainer can be active all the time.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #64378

Vekter, WJ used one that I dont recall the name of while making MO13

I've been stopgapping this problem by occasionally reading off important PRs in OOC.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #64384

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Vekter, WJ used one that I dont recall the name of while making MO13

I've been stopgapping this problem by occasionally reading off important PRs in OOC.
I've been doing the same, but if WJ's fucked off/doesn't have time I don't mind doing it. I have an insane amount of free time right now.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #64388

24h limit should be axed and things should be handled more case-by-case in that regard; there's so much small shit that really doesn't need the wait

how is it that at the same time there are enormous game changing PRs that squeak through with like, 2 hours of review from one maintainer cough coguh for example goonchem
There are some things that need to be scrutinized WAY harder than they are right now. Would have saved us a looooot of trouble.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #64405

Vekter wrote:1) How hard is it to compile the changelog? Can someone who has minimal BYOND coding knowledge do it? I wouldn't mind doing this for you guys.

It's quite simple- you don't even need to go through the "setting up Git".
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #64411

Drynwyn wrote:
Vekter wrote:1) How hard is it to compile the changelog? Can someone who has minimal BYOND coding knowledge do it? I wouldn't mind doing this for you guys.

It's quite simple- you don't even need to go through the "setting up Git".
Well yes, you do, because you need to commit the compiled changelog.
私は完璧
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #64424

i've been merging all reliable fixes as soon as they're one day old. the 24h limit should probably stay because we're sort of spread out across timezones, and it's ass when something is merged before you even get a look at it.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #65775

24H limit makes no sense, if you test a pull and it works, merge it?

A++ to changelogs, learn that shit and do it, ideally SoS would build the changelog when he updates, but that might be too much of a strain, especially because he'll have to force clean the repo afterwards to get rid of the changes (assuming they're not committed back)
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #65788

someone get the headcoders to look at this
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #65825

They do, and cheridan agrees with the mandatory changelogs and mandatory changelog compiling before an update, but...

We're all doing it for free in the end and we're lazy shits.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #65968

piratepad is a good real-time auto-saving postbin-like.
If whoever wanted it is still around.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕