[Bluespace] Admin-abusing to set people on fire

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

[Bluespace] Admin-abusing to set people on fire

Post by bandit » #84593

Byond account and character name: bgobandit, Fortune Ray
Admin: Bluespace, Burning Bill
Time incident occured: 7 PM Eastern, Sibyl

Summary: The round before this I made some jokes about Bluespace being Shoe Snatching Willy in real life (the details aren't worth mentioning and you don't really want to know) and he says he's going to steal my shoes next round. So next round I'm botanist, he proceeds to spawn himself in as "Burning Bill," slip me and steal the shoes.

That part can be passed off as clowning/shenanigans and I don't really give a shit as I got my shoes back. However, he also was on fire in assistant clothes, unextinguishable (several people tried) and presumably unharmed, and due to the way fire code works now, this resulted in several bystanders, myself included, getting set on fire by walking past him, which did all the standard harmful/annoying things fire does to mortals. I don't remember how many different people got set on fire as I was not following him for the entire round, but it was quite a few that I saw. He also tried to disarm me a lot but I don't know whether that was an attempt to set me on fire or just steal my shoes.

(Note: If you check the logs you'll see me feeding ice peppers to him, I thought the reagents in them would get rid of the fire but when they didn't and started causing shivering/possible cold damage instead, I dragged him to medbay and tried to apply a brute/burn patch. He refused.)

Adminhelped like "should this be happening," Scones said "probably not." Asked about it in OOC post-round, got this response (bunch of end-of-round spam deleted):
OOC: Bgobandit: bluespace why were you setting everyone on fire
OOC: Bluespace: Abuse
Given that the last I heard non-antags weren't allowed to set people on fire even without magical fire immunity, and that there is precedent for admins to get their shit heavily slapped for spawning a stamp, I feel this is at least worth some mention.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [Bluespace] Admin-abusing to set people on fire

Post by Stickymayhem » #84608

We are looking into this right now. Once we assemble the logs and talk to bluespace we'll get this resolved.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #84625

Hi, coder nerd here, fire transfer when bumping into mobs is a pretty recent thing, and I don't think it's on the changelog. Keep in mind Bluespace might not have known about that before he started and probably just wanted his guy to be on fire permanently.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #84629

I know when the new fire spreading was added an admin did pretty much exactly this and made themselves invincible but permanently on fire, he ended up getting brigged but set a bunch of people on fire along the way.

I don't remember which admin it was though I'd have to look at the logs and find out what day this was added.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #84634

Bluespace did the Burning Boris gimmick.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #84672

Nobody died because of the fire. I had an extinguisher on me.
I think the max that happened was a librarian that kept running into me got severe burns.
I had a lot of fun, made good friends with the chef.
I play Boris Pepper.
bandit

Post by bandit » #84707

The point is the var-editing (or whatever) to be a perpetual setting-everyone-on-fire machine. As I said, if we have enough zero-tolerance about this that admins get bitched out for spawning one stamp, surely this qualifies as well.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #84709

Bluespace has been doing a lot of shit like this lately it would seem.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #84768

You're all looking at this the wrong way. It's not that Bluespace as abusing his admin powers and breaking the finely laid-out policies of the admins, it's that everyone is a bit of a stick in the mud. It isn't like Bluespace was actively hunting down people to set them on fire. No one had their round ruined, or died, or nothin'. The only people who really got set on fire/majorly injured were those who couldn't look where they were going, y'know?
Allohsnackbar

Post by Allohsnackbar » #84771

Would like to point out bluespacu has been making the rounds of a lot of people a lot more intesting with TC trades. This appears to be an outlier if anything.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #84850

This is utterly childish, don't you people have more productive things to do other than make stupid mindless admin complaints about the tiniest things? You cheapen the actual important complaints.
bandit

Post by bandit » #84860

I don't consider var-editing oneself into a fire demon and claiming "abuse" and "well I for one had fun" to be trivial. I hate to bring up the stamp thing again, but if you want to talk about cheapening admin complaints/sanctions, you should probably start well lower.

(insert below-the-belt comment about cheapening the important complaints and singulo)
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #84864

bandit wrote:I don't consider var-editing oneself into a fire demon and claiming "abuse" and "well I for one had fun" to be trivial. I hate to bring up the stamp thing again, but if you want to talk about cheapening admin complaints/sanctions, you should probably start well lower.

(insert below-the-belt comment about cheapening the important complaints and singulo)
There is a difference between giving yourself an ingame advantage while playing normally, as opposed to a "event". This however is closer to just random lethal shit than an interesting event, but I don't think he had any knowledge of the fact the fire would spread and hurt people when he initially spawned himself in.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #84880

Fire spreading isn't that much of a big deal, He had an extinguisher and was extinguishing people.

You can't stop the fact that if you are on fire, anybody who bumps into you also becomes on fire, there isn't much he could do about that.

Burning boris and burning bill are fun micro events.

But its not something you can give to players because of how easily abused being on fire can be.

Varediting yourself when you didn't join the round normally as an admin is no big deal. The lines and expectations are completely different for admin ghosts/spawned in admin controlled mobs, and admin players.

When you join normally as an admin, you are on the manifest, you have a status in the round, you may be a tator, you may be a tator's target, you are very much a player, and bound by the rules of players.

While we don't like it, admins are free to run events with them controlling the main person. Some times having players do it just won't work. Burning boris/bill is a fine example of that, as the average player is not gonna bother putting people out, and more to the point, would actively attempt to light people on fire.

Right now, I see no reason for this complaint.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #85055

MrStonedOne wrote:You can't stop the fact that if you are on fire, anybody who bumps into you also becomes on fire, there isn't much he could do about that.
He could if he didn't var edit himself invincible and on fire.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85069

callanrockslol wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:You can't stop the fact that if you are on fire, anybody who bumps into you also becomes on fire, there isn't much he could do about that.
He could if he didn't var edit himself invincible and on fire.
Yeah, the whole point of his "burning boris" event was to set people on fire en masse
bandit

Post by bandit » #85083

I'd actually believe that he didn't know about the new fire transfer code (it is indeed fairly new and not widely known were it not for:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Bluespace did the Burning Boris gimmick.
(Burning Boris, unless this is just misspeaking, was from another round)

and
Bluespace wrote:I had an extinguisher on me.
As for "events," I'm in favor of events and I'm even in favor of admins screwing around to break up the monotony of rounds. But this wasn't an event. It had no plot, got no CentComm announcements that I remembered, did not change the round-type. It wasn't even a mini-event; a mini-event would be something like, a few rounds ago, the admins temporarily spawning a party rave button in the theater and making the objects in the room flip temporarily when a borg found out it could use *buzz2 to make techno music. (That might even have been Bluespace, he was one of the admins on at the time, so it's not like I think he's unilaterally bad.) The difference is that this doesn't hurt people or their rounds. It also is fun for other people. Var-editing yourself invincible on fire is fun for one person (see, "well I had fun") and shit for the people who get set on fire. It's glorified griff with admin tools.

As for "setting people on fire isn't so bad," when the mob-fire mechanic was first introduced either SoS or HBL (headmin at the time) said that non-antags setting people on fire was bannable/warnable in and of itself. A librarian getting severe burns for no reason other than adminjollies is bad enough in my book.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #85086

Throwing a beaker of welder fuel on someone then hitting them with a lighter =/= being on fire and people catching fire from your fire...

....UNLESS he was going around bumping/hugging people, i.e. intentionally spreading the fire.
OR UNLESS he was standing in a major thoroughfare so people were bumping into him before they could react due to lag and low vision range.

Otherwise this sounds pretty funny, but what would bluespace have done if security tried to arrest him?
Seeing as he was permanently on fire he wouldn't have been arrestable, were security able to laser him or was his GODmoded?
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #85107

Malkevin wrote:Throwing a beaker of welder fuel on someone then hitting them with a lighter =/= being on fire and people catching fire from your fire...

....UNLESS he was going around bumping/hugging people, i.e. intentionally spreading the fire.
OR UNLESS he was standing in a major thoroughfare so people were bumping into him before they could react due to lag and low vision range.

Otherwise this sounds pretty funny, but what would bluespace have done if security tried to arrest him?
Seeing as he was permanently on fire he wouldn't have been arrestable, were security able to laser him or was his GODmoded?
security didn't want to arrest me, however the hos did have a serious time talk with me about growing up and not being allowed near any flammable areas.
I play Boris Pepper.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #85108

also i knew about the fire transfer thing, and apart from one point where a mad as fuck librarian ran around trying to light himself on fire using my body, nobody was actually seriously injured or died because of this.
people had fun. which is kinda what the entire point of the game is about.
also +1 to whoever the chef was that pulled me around and kept subtly trying to encourage me to give him my dna.
I play Boris Pepper.