another shitty sec nerf merge peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Blase
Byond Username: MacBlaze

another shitty sec nerf merge peanut

Post by Blase » #629174

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/64280

Holy shit why does it keep happening, this is another major sec nerf over the course of 2 years. I don't think I've seen a substantial sec buff in the entire time I've been lurking on the GitHub. Not only that, but its a maintainer who wrote the damn hackmd document merging with all haste. Its painful to see people with bad ideas force their wishes onto the codebase, charging ahead without any input from anyone who has concerns. Writing a hackmd document does not mean your idea is good. It does not mean you are good at designing fixes, or balancing. It means you know how to use a word editor and make images.

Its not just one maintainer pushing for this. Oranges has had a hateboner for security for years. I don't know why. I don't think anyone knows why. I have no idea if he has ever played security at all. There isn't shit that can be done either. Rebuffing sec will get shot down. Perhaps even nerfing antagonists will get shot down. There is no state in which nerfing one faction will not make its opponents stronger in comparison, and sec has been nerfed into the ground. This does not require a degree in game design to understand. Oranges if you read this you should play security for a month. It would give you perspective that I assume you could benefit from.

edit: forgot to point to the plant
Last edited by Blase on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: another shitty sec nerf merge peanut

Post by Farquaar » #629175

Peanuts need a link to the thing you’re peanutting
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629181

"why are sec guys robbing everyone and buying 38s now"
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #629186

auto rifles are barely ever ordered

the thermal pistols are FUCKING AWESOME

should be interesting to see how effective they are vs blobs
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #629187

I swear I'm gonna add derringers all I'm missing is a good sprite
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #629188

I'm still a little confused why they kept bringing up that they didn't like "the illusion of choice" autorifles made by "being better than everything else" and then proceed to remove them, and replace them with something else. Now we don't have an illusion of choice, but we still don't actually have a choice anyway.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #629192

One massive problem is how ballistics worked with wounds. They are EXTREMELY good against people without connection to station resources. You would get shot like twice and all of the sudden you are rapidly dying of blood loss. If you are being hunted by security, that isn't an issue you can really fix save for carrying a fuckton of bandages around with you.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #629207

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:31 am I swear I'm gonna add derringers all I'm missing is a good sprite
take the TGMC derringers
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629243

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:30 am auto rifles are barely ever ordered

How are they awesome? Please fucking explain how an 8 shot pistol that can't even down an antag is good. Do you just want security to be steamrolled without recourse every round? I'm legit curious. Do you just like the spritework?
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #629248

I think they're pretty cool looking

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #629260

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:17 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:30 am auto rifles are barely ever ordered

How are they awesome? Please fucking explain how an 8 shot pistol that can't even down an antag is good. Do you just want security to be steamrolled without recourse every round? I'm legit curious. Do you just like the spritework?
me and philip were messing around with them on sybil yesterday and he decapitated me with the cryo gun in like 5 or 6 shots

the sprite work for the guns are also very pretty
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #629263

I complain rather routinely about sec being a bit op and honestly I've never complained about an autorifle. What a non-issue. They looked good, fit the setting. Also, the guns are totally fine. Good and usable. Super limited ammo tho.

Now what do we get, color coded cowboy blasters? Why? Why can't we just, I dunno, have both? Too much shit is just getting randomly deleted.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629271

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:07 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:17 pm

me and philip were messing around with them on sybil yesterday and he decapitated me with the cryo gun in like 5 or 6 shots

the sprite work for the guns are also very pretty
I magdumped a cryo pistol into an antag point black hit every round and they walked off calmly with only moderate wounds. Something is fucky.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #629272

maybe it was updated sometime in between?

just the sound those things make should imply a lot of power behind them

i'll play with it more later
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #629320

Rageguy505 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:56 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:31 am I swear I'm gonna add derringers all I'm missing is a good sprite
take the TGMC derringers
Good thinking, I may have to tweak it for the art style.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629331

every spaceman should start with a derringer in their internals box
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #629369

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:58 pm every spaceman should start with a derringer in their internals box
Now this is what I like to hear

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629383

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:58 pm every spaceman should start with a derringer in their internals box
Now this is what I like to hear
an armed society is a fun society
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #629401

Blase wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:00 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/64280

Holy shit why does it keep happening, this is another major sec nerf over the course of 2 years. I don't think I've seen a substantial sec buff in the entire time I've been lurking on the GitHub. Not only that, but its a maintainer who wrote the damn hackmd document merging with all haste. Its painful to see people with bad ideas force their wishes onto the codebase, charging ahead without any input from anyone who has concerns. Writing a hackmd document does not mean your idea is good. It does not mean you are good at designing fixes, or balancing. It means you know how to use a word editor and make images.

Its not just one maintainer pushing for this. Oranges has had a hateboner for security for years. I don't know why. I don't think anyone knows why. I have no idea if he has ever played security at all. There isn't shit that can be done either. Rebuffing sec will get shot down. Perhaps even nerfing antagonists will get shot down. There is no state in which nerfing one faction will not make its opponents stronger in comparison, and sec has been nerfed into the ground. This does not require a degree in game design to understand. Oranges if you read this you should play security for a month. It would give you perspective that I assume you could benefit from.

he can't keep getting away with it
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #629426

EMP Proof

Neat
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #629496

i like them
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #629498

yeah they're pretty cool honestly i dunno why we couldn't have 550s and these though?

i also think they could aesthetically mesh better with the setting but they already do look pretty sharp so this isn't soullessposting
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #629505

I shot the rd with the cyro gun to activate his stealth armor(And I accidently shot a hole through his head) So i think its pretty good.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #629510

New station trait when
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #629538

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 pm I magdumped a cryo pistol into an antag point black hit every round and they walked off calmly with only moderate wounds. Something is fucky.
They work a bit differentely.

You can toggle these to be either cryo or thermal. The trick to them is, that you use your initial shots to freeze your opponent, then switch to thermal, which blows up their health. In the testing I partook in, about 4 shots with the freezing mode, and one thermal shot was enough to put an unarmored dude well into critical condition.

As far as mathematically efficency goes, they got some things going for them, sure, I don't really care about that.
I personally will always be in love with ballistics. They look violent, they feel violent, they sound violent. These energy guns, to each their own, but to me these feel like safespace waterguns, these are just not engaging me at all.
Honestly, redesign them to be rifles, change the projectile to be an instant beam-attack and put more bite into the sound, then I'd be more on board with them.

With beaming regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #629539

I don't like the idea of a beam attack, and the BOOM sound they made when i fired them felt pretty solid

i like the idea of a rifle, as long as it looks a lot different from the temperature gun in the armory, but the art was done really well for the handguns so eh
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629547

BONERMASTER wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:21 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 pm I magdumped a cryo pistol into an antag point black hit every round and they walked off calmly with only moderate wounds. Something is fucky.
They work a bit differentely.

You can toggle these to be either cryo or thermal. The trick to them is, that you use your initial shots to freeze your opponent, then switch to thermal, which blows up their health. In the testing I partook in, about 4 shots with the freezing mode, and one thermal shot was enough to put an unarmored dude well into critical condition.

As far as mathematically efficency goes, they got some things going for them, sure, I don't really care about that.
I personally will always be in love with ballistics. They look violent, they feel violent, they sound violent. These energy guns, to each their own, but to me these feel like safespace waterguns, these are just not engaging me at all.
Honestly, redesign them to be rifles, change the projectile to be an instant beam-attack and put more bite into the sound, then I'd be more on board with them.

With beaming regards
-BONERMASTER
they changed it so you cant swap it.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #629550

Blase wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:00 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/64280

fuck you btw

i did not write the document (you can literally see who edited it and commented on it, me being the commentator) and i did not merge them with haste unless you consider 18 days haste retard.

im ok with not liking the feature but where I draw the line is malice intent which I have only seen twice in all my years of ss13 and one of them was against me. Dont care for the insults either but thats why youre here and not in the coding section.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #629603

For all the kneejerk I've been seeing, I've been getting a lot of good feedback as well. Some critical and some in agreement with the change.

I'm definitely considering how to meet somewhere in the middle with whatever comes next who really enjoyed the feedback of the firearms they were using. I getcha, I really do.

There is a core difference between being deaf to feedback and simply pushing an argument for why I thought it was a good change. I've been receptive, addressed feedback, but I've not been reasonably persuaded against this direction. If anything, I'm more convinced the more I've seen what the old WT could do in practice now that I have given it scrutiny, and the less people were able to make a good assessment for what the role the weapon fulfilled beyond being a magdumper.

I'm aware armor is in a weird spot and maybe before going much further, it would be good to work out what the best direction for that would be.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #629610

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:15 am For all the kneejerk I've been seeing, I've been getting a lot of good feedback as well. Some critical and some in agreement with the change.

I'm definitely considering how to meet somewhere in the middle with whatever comes next who really enjoyed the feedback of the firearms they were using. I getcha, I really do.

There is a core difference between being deaf to feedback and simply pushing an argument for why I thought it was a good change. I've been receptive, addressed feedback, but I've not been reasonably persuaded against this direction. If anything, I'm more convinced the more I've seen what the old WT could do in practice now that I have given it scrutiny, and the less people were able to make a good assessment for what the role the weapon fulfilled beyond being a magdumper.

I'm aware armor is in a weird spot and maybe before going much further, it would be good to work out what the best direction for that would be.
You pretty much addressed everything I didn't like and commented about on the PR. So props to you.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #629633

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:15 am For all the kneejerk I've been seeing, I've been getting a lot of good feedback as well. Some critical and some in agreement with the change.

Initially I was pretty against it. I still kinda am, I'd like to have WTs AND these, to both fill different niches, but you DID listen to a lot of feedback and generally address things well enough that it showed you were actually trying to do something good.