Farquaar's thoughts on super-highpop

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Farquaar's thoughts on super-highpop

Post by Farquaar » #631815

Putting lag issues aside, I really love crowded stations. I love seeing crowds of spacemen moving through the hallways, sitting in the cafeteria, and bustling around medbay. Seeing people interact, even if you're not directly participating, really makes the station come alive. And when the station finally falls to pieces, you feel the emptiness all the more.

Heck, it's not even just a population thing; map design plays a big role too. Smaller stations like Kilo have issues with being easily sabotaged due to their size, but it's really comfy because of how jam-packed everybody is. I feel that as a rule, most rooms should be small enough for people to stand on one end of the room and see what's happening on other end.

That's not to say that empty space doesn't have its place. Make halls/rooms too crowded, and movement/building becomes incredibly frustrating. Force people into close proximity too much, and stealing/murdering/antagging becomes incredibly difficult unless people are occupied with another threat.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, /tg/station forumites.
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: Farquaar's thoughts on super-highpop

Post by Misdoubtful » #631817

I've always vibed with this. Every experience I've had has always been better when there were more people, on a map sized well for the population playing.

Always got bored when it could be five minutes and I wouldn't see/interact with a single person, just killed the mood for me and made me want to do something else.

Its a shame its so difficult to get the size / pop formula just right, especially when there are only so many maps and so many people to maintain them.
Hugs
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #631821

50-70 pop is my favorite, it's a good blend of chaos and order. Past that it feels like I never have the ability to actually get anything done, whether because anything important is already taken or just because of the general chaos.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #631832

Bagil would regularly hit the 90s and triple digits were not uncommon when I started playing this game. 40-60 is my favorite now, blows my mind that pop not only got that high but that I preferred it.

That said I love, and I mean love, the chaos that comes with highpop stations. I think there’s a beauty in it that’s so ss13.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #631859

Yeah, the game is way more fun with a tonne of people playing. It’s a shame the populations don’t get up to what they used to.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #631895

Yeah! Full-pop is the best! Every staff job staffed every department working, a good amount of antagonists. What's not to love?
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #631965

I like highpop, I wait for bagil's return as king.
Living God

Extraordinary Person