hypothetical: you are in charge of designing an Original Xeno Antag

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

hypothetical: you are in charge of designing an Original Xeno Antag

Post by nianjiilical » #634408

so first of all im not making this thread to argue that xeno should be changed or removed, for any reason, but i was thinking recently

a lot of xeno's gameplay mechanics are because they're xenomorphs. they have different castes because thats what xenomorphs do in the movies, they facehug you and explode out of your chest because thats what xenos do, they make resin and lay eggs because thats what xenos do

so, hypothetically, if xenomorphs were ever redone to be an Original Alien Do Not Steal, and you were put in charge of it, what would they look like gameplay wise? would they just be bargain bin xenos that have all the same "lore" and gameplay? would you radically change them in any way?

give me your ideas for what an original xeno antag would look like
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Re: hypothetical: you are in charge of designing an Original Xeno Antag

Post by BONERMASTER » #634413

That's really hard to beat. They look fucking badass, they're (mostly) huge, strong, lightning fast, deadly, and they do to you all the horrible things that a monster could do. In my eyes, they're the perfect sci-fi monster, and whenever you change something about it, the entire magic about these things goes out the window.

So, just change up their colour a bit, remove a few spikes here and there, and give them a very lengthy and complicated name so everyone just calls them xeno instead.... and hope you get away it.

With alien regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634416

Maybe take away the xenos throwing the facehuggers, but make eggs much more dangerous and hard to clear. Bringing facehuggers to the front and yeeting them at people feels a bit goofy for one of the most iconic and terrifying sci-fi monsters of all time. I'd like scarier nests but less important of biohoods to fight them outside of their habitats.

Maybe make eggs pop up spontaneously in cultivated areas instead of the queen poopin? I REALLY like the sense of these areas that they've totally infested and made inhospitable to humans, and it might be cool to make the gameplay lean into that a little more but still not be blob.

Maybe differentiate castes based on the facehugged carbon (being more like the movies, not less, of all things. I know, right?)

Hmm. I should crack open hit film Aliens (1986) to answer this question better.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #634418

they are truly already perfect antags
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #634422

Honestly could just make one super buff xeno instead of a hive. They don't really achieve that nearly unstoppable apex predator feeling currently. Could set a horror tone that you are being hunted. You are the prey. Maybe facehuggers could just become one of their objectives but the "hatching process" or whatever takes longer than an actual shift so you only ever encounter one xeno or perhaps the point of achieving mutliple xenos becomes a delta level win condition or something almost like nar'sie with the harvesters.

You wouldn't even need to entirely do away with the caste system either, just instead make hte caste something that kind of affects the playstyle of the xeno so the gameplay a little different from one xeno to the next rather than each xeno type having a specific role they're all general roles that go about things in a slightly different way.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #634426

Xeno should be a genetically max evolved crew. Like genetics on steroids. The crew wins by their intellectually evolved sci-fi weapons.

Thus xenos are now space x-men
► Show Spoiler
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #634441

Maybe if a Xeno hive grows large enough it auto-recalls the shuttle and gives the ai the quarantine law.
Image Image
BlevRuz
Byond Username: BlevRuz

Post by BlevRuz » #634442

Shadowflame909 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:52 pm Xeno should be a genetically max evolved crew. Like genetics on steroids. The crew wins by their intellectually evolved sci-fi weapons.

Thus xenos are now space x-men
yes, and their sprites should be the xeno sprites but retextured with flesh colours
Boot wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:39 pm Maybe if a Xeno hive grows large enough it auto-recalls the shuttle and gives the ai the quarantine law.
i think in general you should only be able to stop the shuttle if you're going to end the round somehow, which afaik the xenos dont do
plays as Argon CVI, Sleigherburgo D'Fuckreby and Dr Hambold P. Qumer, PhD. on terry and manuel
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #634452

We should add the ability to carry people to this xeno antag
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #634456

Boot wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:39 pm Maybe if a Xeno hive grows large enough it auto-recalls the shuttle and gives the ai the quarantine law.
I really like this idea. A diet delta, basically.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634462

Xenos getting a Delta/Nuke the Station, it's the only way to be sure ending would rule. Alternatively, crew massively redtexts/xenos green text if any benos get aboard the shuttle or pods.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #634463

Style them off of Nemmisis's (2019) original Alien does not steal "Intruders".
Attachments
nemesis-distress-credit-ovidworks@2000x1270.jpg
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mrzelix
Byond Username: Mrzelix

Post by Mrzelix » #634488

If we had to stop stealing from Xenomorphs, I say we start stealing from tyranids
Incompetent Lightbulb and annoying nokia, somehow manages to stick around.
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #634512

SkeletalElite wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:28 pm Honestly could just make one super buff xeno instead of a hive. They don't really achieve that nearly unstoppable apex predator feeling currently. Could set a horror tone that you are being hunted. You are the prey. Maybe facehuggers could just become one of their objectives but the "hatching process" or whatever takes longer than an actual shift so you only ever encounter one xeno or perhaps the point of achieving mutliple xenos becomes a delta level win condition or something almost like nar'sie with the harvesters.

You wouldn't even need to entirely do away with the caste system either, just instead make hte caste something that kind of affects the playstyle of the xeno so the gameplay a little different from one xeno to the next rather than each xeno type having a specific role they're all general roles that go about things in a slightly different way.
This could be interesting. My only worry is that it'd run headlong into The Wizard Problem (trademark, patent pending) of having a massive threat antagonist just be fun for one person who runs around stabbing people to death with its +5 spiky tail of pointyness. If there was a good way of bringing people back into the round without admin intervention, I could see this change being interesting.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #634547

First off I would make them lay mind parasites instead of actual eggs, and make them more mental focused instead of physical due to physical fighting being boring mental fights are truly the fun shit.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #634589

Mechanically:
The whole caste system ant hive thing is fine. 'classes' of xeno that play differently, etc.
Having to put players in GBJ for them to hatch into aliens is not.
Hunters moving at meth speeds is not good; being faster than the average creature yes, being literally uncontrollably fast, no. They should still be faster than the average human, but it should be possible to shoot them.
The current alien nest structure and eggs could be combined, in that putting a creature into the 'nest' gives the body a larva to incubate and ghosts them, so that they don't have to waste several minutes of their time waiting to be rescued.
Remove facehuggers; they're not fun to play against, don't match any of the other xenos in color or style, and xenos honestly have more than enough stuns going for them already.
Give hunters wings so that they can move at proper speed in low gravity.
Xenos becoming a large portion of station population should ABSOLUTELY result in a nuking of the station, like how blob gets nuked when it gets to a certain size.

Art/Lorewise
I'd like to see more variation in what the xenos look like. Even with the assumption we don't get to keep the same sprites because they're too similar, the queen should be huge and intimidating, the hunters lithe and spiky. The sentinels, drones and larvae should more resemble the aliens' architecture, having somewhat smoother chitin compared to all the spikes that the queen and hunter get.
As far as lore goes, they could be natives to a planetoid with an atmosphere made of plasma that was just about destroyed when humans landed on it and accidentally set it on fire. Now they're a walking biological disaster, hopping from ship to ship and seeking to spread their hive as far as possible.
To fit this lore, I imagine things would have adapted to life on a planet with a thick plasma atmosphere, so what do we know about plasma?
-it's highly flammable
-it's a lovely shade of violet
-something about micro-organisms and plasmamen I don't exactly remember
A theoretical xeno redesign could have them a brighter shade of purple. Just because we want them to hide in maintenance and space doesn't mean the creatures themselves are adapted for it. They still have to be chitin and fangs and claws- that much is locked in by their insectoid nature- but they can look a little different, perhaps taking inspiration from different insect species for different castes. I'd absolutely like to see a move away from them being bipeds, though.
The Queen could be based on, in part, the shape of a Flea. Six legs, bulky backside, maybe add a big chunky beetle horn or jaws on its head for extra intimidation factor. Perhaps give it an incredibly dangerous charge attack, to make up for losing the tail sweep due to the lack of a tail.
Hunters being hunters, could be based on a flying insect, like a hornet or wasp.
Drones and Sentinels should absolutely be based on beetles of some sort. Perhaps a rhinoceros beetle horn for the sentinels, and something smaller for the drones, to help distinguish them.
Larva should be closer to maggots than snakes, and there should absolutely be some kind of 'cocoon' stage between evolutions.

wow, i spent way too much time thinking about this.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #634599

massa wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 pm they are truly already perfect antags
I'm always scared to say "I actually completely agree to this" because the person I'm agreeing with might say "It was sarcastic" but I'll take that risk here.
They're already the best antag. I have fun with them, and even though plenty of manuelites hate them, I think Xenos serve an important purpose to the game.
That purpose is to be fun, and maybe not always balanced.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634633

Tearling wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:47 pm
massa wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 pm they are truly already perfect antags
I'm always scared to say "I actually completely agree to this" because the person I'm agreeing with might say "It was sarcastic" but I'll take that risk here.
They're already the best antag. I have fun with them, and even though plenty of manuelites hate them, I think Xenos serve an important purpose to the game.
That purpose is to be fun, and maybe not always balanced.
They're basically the only antag that guarantees ghosts get to do shit at roughly the same rate the crew dies

This is and will forever be their crowning achievement
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #634652

YBS wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:52 pm
Yeah this is great, the problem with xenos is crew immediately calls once they're found so we don't get to play that much of it.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #634663

WineAllWine wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:23 pm
YBS wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:52 pm
Yeah this is great, the problem with xenos is crew immediately calls once they're found so we don't get to play that much of it.
Just immediately recall when they do until the xenos are dealt with, maybe send an ERT or two. While the idea is 'When the hive grows large enough', Central probably wouldn't really want to fuck around and find out. It only takes ONE larva for a hive to start.
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #634776

I thought a little bit about single monstrous xeno thing.

Infections gets a rebrand, they aren't a round removal thing. You infect someone and it replaces their heart with a "larval heart" this does 2 things. It makes the infected person susceptible to an ability that lets the xeno pacify anyone infected around them for an extended duration, this gives the xeno a way to win without going full bone. Dead infected people do count towards winning but maybe at a slower rate. Its also a goal to win, you need a certain number of infections. THere could be other goals to, but this would be the main one.

You could also maybe add some sort of "evolution" upgrade system where you get stronger as you get more infections and can maybe choose different upgrades, and you could tie winning to evolution progress, but that's a lot more complicated.

You can try to get your larval heart replaced but its difficult to do. Like during the removal the larval heart will constantly attack the surgeon doing damage and potentially wounding them. As a last resort when removed the larval heart will also shred other organs in your chest and give you a load of toxins/brute/burn damage. This means it will be easier to brain transplant than to fix current body. To ensure this isn't too ideal, if the body a larval inhabits has its brain removed it will instantly pop out of the chest into a moderately lethal simple mob that will go wild on anyone nearby. If it manages to crit someone. It will infect them and replace their heart.

Lings of course can regenerate this away or panacea it away. I'm not sure how heretics work with their living heart? It's like actually their heart or something? Maybe they're just immune to infection because of that or something or they can get some sort of unique interaction where their living heart becomes a larval heart too.

If the xeno hits their win condition everyone with a larval heart will get a message and start shaking then gib and turn into a smol xeno 30 seconds later. Delta triggers, game over.

Shuttle can't leave the station while the xeno is alive same as blob.
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #634782

SkeletalElite wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 pm snip
This sounds like a really cool idea for a rework. Could take a while to code, but maybe you can bounty a pr. Would love to see this ingame
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
massa

Post by massa » #634809

SkeletalElite wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 pm snip with prejudice
i hate this and i hate attempts to remove "round removal" from the game

people die.
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #634860

massa wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:50 pm

people die.
okay I never said you couldn't kill people I just gave you a way to win that doesn't force you to merc everyone you see
massa

Post by massa » #634886

SkeletalElite wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:54 pm

people die.
okay I never said you couldn't kill people I just gave you a way to win that doesn't force you to merc everyone you see
xenomorphs are an artistic motif depicting sacrifice, union and rebirth.

death is mandatory, and this is what makes them perfect. they are utterly hostile towards all life without remorse or exception.
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #634905

massa wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:08 pm
SkeletalElite wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:54 pm

people die.
xenomorphs are an artistic motif depicting sacrifice, union and rebirth.

death is mandatory, and this is what makes them perfect. they are utterly hostile towards all life without remorse or exception.
If implanting someone with a parasitic being that replaces their heart that eventually kills them after outgrowing the use for them isn't sacrifice and "being utterly hostile towards life" then I don't know what is.
Its far more than clicking spaceman until horitzontal
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #635036

People die. Trying to remove death from the game is wack.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #635039

replace it with the venom antag (coming 2022)
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #635040

NoxVS wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:54 pm replace it with the venom antag (coming 2022)
A venom antag that doesn't kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-bQJI73hAw