Defending yourself in Admin Tickets - Tidbits from BONERMASTER

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Defending yourself in Admin Tickets - Tidbits from BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #643578

I've stumbled upon this ban appeal thread just now, and what stood out to me was them revealing the admin conversation right out of the gate.
What had occured prior, was this guy blowing off a scientist's head during self defense, allegedly through sheer RNG, and they made up for it by bringing them back to the medbay and reviving them, even helping them IC afterwards, if that ain't a nice heartwarming turnaround!

Anyways, he got banned regardless, and there is a point to be made about not shutting the hell up and talking the admin into banning you:

cheshify bwoinked maxoesss 2 hours ago
Hey there, can you explain what happened between you and Owen McShain?

00:00:15
maxoesss Reply from cheshify 2 hours ago
Between me and myself?

00:00:15
cheshify Reply from maxoesss 2 hours ago
Ah, one moment. Steve Newman

00:02:24
maxoesss Reply from cheshify 2 hours ago
he attacked another crew member and called them bad, for the sole reason of that person and myself wanting to see if science had advanced engineering done. I disposalled him after shoving him unto a glass table. he came back swinging, I pulled out a shotgun as a warning, he says one last punch and comes at me to attack, so I shoot. This repeats but by RNG he gets decapitated which was not my intention and is just an unlucky situation. I get him to medbay, made sure he got his head attached and defibbed him myself. A moment ago I was helping him chase down some one who stole from him

00:04:02
cheshify Reply from maxoesss an hour ago
Alright, thank you for actually reviving the person you're fighting. Just be careful about escalation, attacking someone within their department lobby for trying to get tiders to fuck off isn't great form.

Whenever you hear the admin say the signal words "just be careful", that's your cue to stop arguing, period. The admin is letting you off, all you do now is say "thank you, yes I will!" and either start behaving for the first time in your life, or make sure you don't get caught again. There is nothing to be gained when you already got off scot free, like what, do you want a fucking medal? This isn't your 4th grade math class, brother (or sister).

Well, I'm sure you have guessed why I made this thread. Let's see what happened next:
► Show Spoiler
BIG, GIGANTIC, MISTAKE! ENORMOUS even! The red carpet was already rolled out, you were on the way out! Don't go back in and argue some stupid semantics, who gives a fuck if the admin is blind and doesn't know where you were fighting? Whatever they saw, they said it was ok, so just take the W, say thanks like a well adjusted individual, and end the conversation!
If, for some god awful reason, they actually end up sticking a note to you, and this somehow becomes relevant, just appeal the shit out of it. If you can end a bwoink in as few replies as possible, do it!

Now let's see how this spirals out of control:

maxoesss Reply from cheshify an hour ago
Oh okay, I get where you're coming from. In the sense, scrolling back logs, of the guy hitting the desk.

00:00:05
I know it's the lobby, but PLEASE be a little more careful before shooting someone around 10 times? You DID shove him onto a glass table and then attack him.
They're even giving you one more chance. Alarm sirens should be blaring in your head right now! Just let it rest, walk awaay....! You don't even have to explain yourself, and I would HIGHLY recommend, particularly if you're not a certified ninja warrior dojo champion in dodging legal ramifications, that you never do in this situation.
Because if you stumbled your way through here, the only thing you'll be explaining is all the incriminating evidence that the admin will use to charge you with, as we will witness in Exhibit A:

00:04:31
I shoved him unto a glass table to stun and then disposalled him. The attack happened later, but I get your drift. At the same time it kinda feels silly when people come back for retribution IC and then ahelp when they don't get the upperhand in the situation. He actively tried to attack me after I warned him, loses and then ahelps. Had he just punched me out I doubt there'd been an ahelp

00:01:33
Why did you shovestun the scientist into a glass table in the first place? What was he doing?

00:00:39
He was attacking another crewmember who together with me tried to find out if sci was researching advanced engineering and now I died responding to this endless ahelp, nice

00:00:35
I already told you why at the very beginning

00:00:59
You also responded that the why of it, and I responded to that. So the whole conversation is starting over again

00:01:27
Client disconnected an hour ago

00:10:10
cheshify Interacted with maxoesss an hour ago
Cheshify/(Scruffy Jones) has created a temporary 2 days server ban for Maxoesss.

00:00:01
Resolved by Cheshify an hour ago
'thanks for making me die to this endless ahelp!!!!!' brother, just fyi, the door was already open, the admin gave you the signal TWO times to just walk out and take the W. But you wanted to be right about where exactly you decapitated your scientist friend. You wanted to explain how exactly you went about assaulting them and how it was technically legal aktschually. You died to yourself, buddy. And that's fitting, because you also end up getting banned by yourself.

Because if you start going passive aggressive on an admin, then whatever tiny sliver of doubt they had, gone. They think, you're a fucking jackass, and they're probably right. So whatever leniency they were going to give you with this, that's gone too, and that's how you get banned for two days over a non-issue.

So key take aways here:

1. Listen to the signal cues.
If the admin is getting ready to wrap this up with a verbal warning, don't fucking start fighting them, that's the literal worst moment you could choose for that. Say thanks, be a nice individual for once.

2. If you fucked up, don't start giving the admin the lip.
People are touchy with their egos, and particularly egomanic admins don't like getting trashed for your mistakes. Usually, they just ban you.

3. If you don't have to, don't start explaining what you did.
We didn't go into too much detail here, but when our dude started opening his mouth, and the admin asks "you did x? Why did you do x, y, z?" you're opening yourself up for a line of questioning, that you probably don't want to deal with, so before you end up getting yourself banned, just shut the hell up.

That would be all from me! Now it's my turn to shut the hell up!

With conclusive regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Defending yourself in Admin Tickets - Tidbits from BONERMASTER

Post by oranges » #643580

did you do the bolding
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #643581

I DEMAND curated game and say logs for all 3 parties, starting from the lobby encounter!
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #643590

BONERMASTER wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:06 pm 1. Listen to the signal cues.
If the admin is getting ready to wrap this up with a verbal warning, don't fucking start fighting them, that's the literal worst moment you could choose for that. Say thanks, be a nice individual for once.
Asking a lot of a Terry player to be "nice" for once.
Also I disagree with this point. If the player was in the right and he decided to say "Thanks" in response to an admin being a jerk, it'd come off as sarcastic at best, or stupid at worst.
That being said, it probably is the right thing to do when you did do something wrong, which seems to be the case in this situation.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #643625

excellent write up boner
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #643645

BONERMASTER wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:06 pm Whenever you hear the admin say the signal words "just be careful", that's your cue to stop arguing, period. The admin is letting you off, all you do now is say "thank you, yes I will!"
After which you will be given a permanent note reminding you to be more careful. You will appeal, be hit with the "you cannot appeal a fact-based note," and after a long back-and-forth might get a word or two edited in it.

Agreeing to be more careful implies you agree that you weren't careful enough. What if you were as careful as you could reasonably be expected to be? Then agreeing to that would just be soft consent to a note that will be with you forever!! Getting let off would look more like "That checks out, have a good one."

That said I agree they could've handled the ticket better. They salted at the admin and got a bit too aggressive, and that's not going to make for a good back-and-forth.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #643651

Problem was he wasn't careful to begin with
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #643652

Archie700 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:59 am Problem was he wasn't careful to begin with
I didn't read the attack logs so that may very well be true. I'm speaking more generally about the valuable guide BONERMASTER has graciously provided us.
Spoiler:
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #643662

*snore
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #643679

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:00 am
Archie700 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:59 am Problem was he wasn't careful to begin with
I didn't read the attack logs so that may very well be true. I'm speaking more generally about the valuable guide BONERMASTER has graciously provided us.
You would literally have to have a very good argument that you were very careful but
a) were tricked by an antag
b) was being banbaited into killing someone
c) had genuine misinformation
That, and have the patience to write down your defence during the ahelp.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643682

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:48 am
BONERMASTER wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:06 pm Whenever you hear the admin say the signal words "just be careful", that's your cue to stop arguing, period. The admin is letting you off, all you do now is say "thank you, yes I will!"
After which you will be given a permanent note reminding you to be more careful. You will appeal, be hit with the "you cannot appeal a fact-based note," and after a long back-and-forth might get a word or two edited in it.

Agreeing to be more careful implies you agree that you weren't careful enough. What if you were as careful as you could reasonably be expected to be? Then agreeing to that would just be soft consent to a note that will be with you forever!! Getting let off would look more like "That checks out, have a good one."

That said I agree they could've handled the ticket better. They salted at the admin and got a bit too aggressive, and that's not going to make for a good back-and-forth.
What looks worse a ban or a note?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #643684

dirk_mcblade wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:01 am What looks worse a ban or a note?
So if you get bwoinked, the end goal should be to get noted to avoid a ban? That's silly. If you were justified in your actions then the end goal should be to explain the situation thoroughly enough to where the admin understands your rationale. Getting told to be more careful in my view means that the admin still believes there was something wrong about your conduct.
Archie700 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:10 am You would literally have to have a very good argument that you were very careful but
a) were tricked by an antag
b) was being banbaited into killing someone
c) had genuine misinformation
That, and have the patience to write down your defence during the ahelp.
Exactly. All of these are great reasons why someone might make a mistake that leads to a bwoink, that they couldn't have been anymore careful about. Especially (c). If something like that happened you shouldn't reply in the way BONERMASTER suggests IMO.
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #643688

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:53 am
So if you get bwoinked, the end goal should be to get noted to avoid a ban? That's silly. If you were justified in your actions then the end goal should be to explain the situation thoroughly enough to where the admin understands your rationale. Getting told to be more careful in my view means that the admin still believes there was something wrong about your conduct.
You might get noted you might not, but you can either take an offramp or gamble the possible note for a possible ban. Are you the kind of guy who hits on 17 in blackjack?
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #643690

dirk_mcblade wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:24 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:53 am
You might get noted you might not, but you can either take an offramp or gamble the possible note for a possible ban. Are you the kind of guy who hits on 17 in blackjack?
This metaphor fails because notes aren't independent of each other.

Each note you receive increases the odds of a future ban.

Letting one wrong note slide brings you one note closer to a permaban.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #643695

Quibbling about ticking up towards the dreaded unappealable note-based ban aside, this is a very good writeup about not being an idiot in an ahelp.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #643702

Hey Jason Bull, let me remind you why I have a ficticious, not in any way or shape connected to the real word, law firm, and you don't:

The vast bulk of reasons behind politely accepting the admin's statements without challenging them (much), presumes, that you're getting off scot free. If they're saying you're getting a note, then you're not getting off scot free, are you? So then this changes the situation, which is a beautiful thing about all this legalese, there are so many factors that can completely change the case you're having. My comment on appealing a note is mainly to answer the risk of an admin alluding to doing nothing and then still placing a note behind your back. If a wrongful detail ends up in the note, you can always clear it out in the appeal, easy, that's what I meant with that.

Still, before you go mouthing off to an admin, you should consider how savvy you actually are with your legalese. Because you have to try really hard to fuck up an appeal to have your sentence increased. In a Bwoink though, really easy! And chances are, if you often find yourself getting berated by admins or getting notes placed, that you're going to fuck it up, really easy!

Further, you likely will be:
-Agitated
-Nervous
-Put under pressure
-Uncomfortable
-Desperate

and many other unhelpful afflictions when you're about to face a really shitty judgement. So if a triple round-removal as a non-antag is in the room, and the admin scolds you to be more careful and gives you a note for overescalation, maybe consider sitting this one out, and taking your time when making an appeal. Remember, it can get a lot worse in a Bwoink, it can't (really) in an appeal.

At the end of the day, you're going to have to argue it either way! You can't just say "hey, I disagree" and poof, note gone! And depending on how much dirt you have on you, you should choose carefully how you're going to do it.

OK, Mister Bull?

And as for the "factual notes are unappealable" comment, all I'll say here is my favourite word "context" and to contact BONERMASTER & Associates (NOT A REAL LAW FIRM) to find out how 'unappealable' this note really is. 😎

With appealing regards
-BONERMASTER

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #643716

There was a guideline at some point to never increase sentences because of an appeal.

The few times that it's been seen to be not true the person dug their own grave on the topic, failing the "only break one law at a time" rule of drug dealing.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #643717

The best way to defend yourself during a ticket is to just log off as soon as you hear the bwoink.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #643764

BONERMASTER wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm
Hey Jason Bull, let me remind you why I have a ficticious, not in any way or shape connected to the real word, law firm, and you don't:

The vast bulk of reasons behind politely accepting the admin's statements without challenging them (much), presumes, that you're getting off scot free. If they're saying you're getting a note, then you're not getting off scot free, are you? So then this changes the situation, which is a beautiful thing about all this legalese, there are so many factors that can completely change the case you're having. My comment on appealing a note is mainly to answer the risk of an admin alluding to doing nothing and then still placing a note behind your back. If a wrongful detail ends up in the note, you can always clear it out in the appeal, easy, that's what I meant with that.

Still, before you go mouthing off to an admin, you should consider how savvy you actually are with your legalese. Because you have to try really hard to fuck up an appeal to have your sentence increased. In a Bwoink though, really easy! And chances are, if you often find yourself getting berated by admins or getting notes placed, that you're going to fuck it up, really easy!

Further, you likely will be:
-Agitated
-Nervous
-Put under pressure
-Uncomfortable
-Desperate

and many other unhelpful afflictions when you're about to face a really shitty judgement. So if a triple round-removal as a non-antag is in the room, and the admin scolds you to be more careful and gives you a note for overescalation, maybe consider sitting this one out, and taking your time when making an appeal. Remember, it can get a lot worse in a Bwoink, it can't (really) in an appeal.

At the end of the day, you're going to have to argue it either way! You can't just say "hey, I disagree" and poof, note gone! And depending on how much dirt you have on you, you should choose carefully how you're going to do it.

OK, Mister Bull?

And as for the "factual notes are unappealable" comment, all I'll say here is my favourite word "context" and to contact BONERMASTER & Associates (NOT A REAL LAW FIRM) to find out how 'unappealable' this note really is. 😎

With appealing regards
-BONERMASTER
for the love of god Yobihodazine, read what this man has to say
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #643835

BONERMASTER wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm The vast bulk of reasons behind politely accepting the admin's statements without challenging them (much), presumes, that you're getting off scot free. If they're saying you're getting a note, then you're not getting off scot free, are you? So then this changes the situation, which is a beautiful thing about all this legalese, there are so many factors that can completely change the case you're having. My comment on appealing a note is mainly to answer the risk of an admin alluding to doing nothing and then still placing a note behind your back. If a wrongful detail ends up in the note, you can always clear it out in the appeal, easy, that's what I meant with that.
Respectfully, the Bull-Bliss firm disagrees with your approach. Admins will rarely state their intent behind a ticket early on, mainly because they don’t have your story yet. If they do plan on noting you, they will only say so at the very end of the ticket, after the conversation has concluded and, damningly, you’ve already agreed to be more careful and thus admit your conduct left something to be desired. At which point, there’s nothing left to argue! “I will be leaving a note to record the fact we’ve had this conversation.” What are you supposed to say to that? “NO, YOU DON’T NEED TO RECORD THIS CONVERSATION!” At this point further conversation in ticket and appealing have little to no point.

And it’s because of this, Mr. BONERMASTER, that your “half-measure” of advising clients to nod their head and bend over, BEGGING for the lightest sentence possible, will only be applicable in the most dire of rule breaks, and cannot be followed as standard advice for every little bwoink one receives! One must merit their strongest defense and concede nothing, if one truly believes he has done nothing.

With tenacious regards,
SinfulBliss
Spoiler:
CandyClown
Byond Username: CandyClown

Post by CandyClown » #643836

If y'all didn't break the rules so much you wouldn't have to worry about what happens when you do.
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #643842

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:25 pm
BONERMASTER wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm The vast bulk of reasons behind politely accepting the admin's statements without challenging them (much), presumes, that you're getting off scot free. If they're saying you're getting a note, then you're not getting off scot free, are you? So then this changes the situation, which is a beautiful thing about all this legalese, there are so many factors that can completely change the case you're having. My comment on appealing a note is mainly to answer the risk of an admin alluding to doing nothing and then still placing a note behind your back. If a wrongful detail ends up in the note, you can always clear it out in the appeal, easy, that's what I meant with that.
Respectfully, the Bull-Bliss firm disagrees with your approach. Admins will rarely state their intent behind a ticket early on, mainly because they don’t have your story yet. If they do plan on noting you, they will only say so at the very end of the ticket, after the conversation has concluded and, damningly, you’ve already agreed to be more careful and thus admit your conduct left something to be desired. At which point, there’s nothing left to argue! “I will be leaving a note to record the fact we’ve had this conversation.” What are you supposed to say to that? “NO, YOU DON’T NEED TO RECORD THIS CONVERSATION!” At this point further conversation in ticket and appealing have little to no point.

And it’s because of this, Mr. BONERMASTER, that your “half-measure” of advising clients to nod their head and bend over, BEGGING for the lightest sentence possible, will only be applicable in the most dire of rule breaks, and cannot be followed as standard advice for every little bwoink one receives! One must merit their strongest defense and concede nothing, if one truly believes he has done nothing.

With tenacious regards,
SinfulBliss
I am looking forward to counselling all of your clients on the malpractice lawsuits that will be heading your way!

(It would be best, if you got yourself familiar with this in advance -> https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... 30192.html)

With blissful regards
-BONERMASTER

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #643843

Who are the associates?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #643846

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:29 pm Who are the associates?

With discreet regards
-BONERMASTER