Admins: How do you reconcile unbanning the guilty?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Admins: How do you reconcile unbanning the guilty?

Post by BONERMASTER » #644212

Relevant video

How do you do it?

With curious regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Admins: How do you reconcile unbanning the guilty?

Post by Pandarsenic » #644213

1) virtually nobody in SS13 is doing anything as serious as the examples in the video. There are no actual human lives at stake over 99.99% of offenses.
2) the only cases where human lives are affected are the Blacklist offenses, which are never unbanned, ever - doxxing, stalking, the works, where even joking about doing them is liable to get someone tossed out for good just in case, because /tg/station isn't a court. It's a set of volunteers who don't want to waste their time figuring out how serious someone is whenever they claim they've found someone's real life info.
3) bans are only as useful as they are able to bring about behavior that's more compatible with everyone else playing on the server. Take two examples of plasma floods. In one, a nonantag with 2 hours played on /tg/ and an account age of 3 days, with a permaban on another server already, joins Terry as CE and, without a single word, immediately floods plasma. In the other, an account with, say, 200 hours and at most a couple of light warning notes, gets the traitor "You've gone postal, hijack the shuttle" fluff on Manuel, or doesn't realize the proposed policy change to "Murderbone" on Manuel hasn't been made official yet. While these are reasonably similar cases in terms of the specific actions the players took, at least enough to compare, when I look at #2 there, I'm likely to think that I can achieve the same goal (the player does not plasma flood when they're not allowed to) with a much lower level of force.

Punishment may be satisfying to people who got got, but the role of admins is not to satisfy vindictiveness; it's to make the server environment pleasant to play on.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Tegun
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Tegun

Re: Admins: How do you reconcile unbanning the guilty?

Post by Tegun » #644217

Never seen an un added in front of a ban