The Unballisticing, Pt. 2 Peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

The Unballisticing, Pt. 2 Peanut

Post by Valorium » #644218

Bottom post of the previous page:

Read the PR here:
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/67768

Combat shotguns are gone. Now we have energy shotguns and a laser machine gun forcefield projector...thing.

Read the design document here:
https://hackmd.io/@6DbtsAKCTtW_9MByKFjZqg/r1xYKCNOt

Other aspects:
- Potential removal of pipeguns, if crew continues attempting to regularly utilize ballistics
- Potential further nerfing or removal of Mosins
- Potential movement of the Deltra (the laser machine gun) to ERTs

Thoughts?
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: The Unballisticing, Pt. 2 Peanut

Post by NecromancerAnne » #644485

And so I did
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #644486

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:48 am And so I did
based
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #644494

I'll come back to this. I think there was enough concern with general balance as is and I feel nothing will budge on shotguns given recent discussions without cobby coming back to talk with him on it.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #644497

cacogen wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:04 am did we not learn our lesson with thermal pistols? don't replace something good with something shit... jesus chris t

and theyre shit because theyre jank, like a bad mod, prs that overhaul core parts of the game should be seamless (actually all prs should be but thats too much to hope)
After having fucked with thermal pistols as opposed to the 551s or whatever, these are pure ass. They're not ugly, but they're definitely not as good looking. They're less fun. They're built around a neat enough gimmick, the problem is that that gimmick is *the* gimmick. Can we just have a nice gun that shoots at people? WT was king.

BALLISTICS ARE FUN PEOPLE LIKE BULLETS. ENERGY WEAPONS SUCK, WE HAVE ENOUGH. Especially niche ones with gimmicks. Please stop trying to remove ballistics. Give us MORE options, stop replacing/removing them. Why remove?
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644498

massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:20 pm BALLISTICS ARE FUN PEOPLE LIKE BULLETS. ENERGY WEAPONS SUCK, WE HAVE ENOUGH. Especially niche ones with gimmicks. Please stop trying to remove ballistics. Give us MORE options, stop replacing/removing them. Why remove?
What if we had a gun that shot like a ballistic and felt like a ballistic but the bullets were colored in energetic sparkles so you know it was an energy gun.

To reload you fill it with metal, and it only does like 2 damage when uncharged

oh wait I accidentally just invented this pr
► Show Spoiler
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #644500

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:34 pm
massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:20 pm BALLISTICS ARE FUN PEOPLE LIKE BULLETS. ENERGY WEAPONS SUCK, WE HAVE ENOUGH. Especially niche ones with gimmicks. Please stop trying to remove ballistics. Give us MORE options, stop replacing/removing them. Why remove?
What if we had a gun that shot like a ballistic and felt like a ballistic but the bullets were colored in energetic sparkles so you know it was an energy gun.

To reload you fill it with metal, and it only does like 2 damage when uncharged

oh wait I accidentally just invented this pr
To be honest, a gun you can load with different materials for different effects would be kinda neat
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #644504

massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:20 pm these are pure ass. They're not ugly, but they're definitely not as good looking. They're less fun
delusional
toemas

Post by toemas » #644505

the autorifles are stupid boring ass generic assault rifles. literally the most generic gun i've ever seen, doesnt do anything remarkable at all
the thermal pistols look sick as hell and they make a cool ass BWA BWA noise when you shoot them and they also do funny piercing wounds that embed and make people bleed out and are funny as hell. You are wrong and your opinion sucks
massa

Post by massa » #644506

thomanthewise5404 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:08 pm the autorifles are stupid boring ass generic assault rifles. literally the most generic gun i've ever seen, doesnt do anything remarkable at all
the thermal pistols look sick as hell and they make a cool ass BWA BWA noise when you shoot them and they also do funny piercing wounds that embed and make people bleed out and are funny as hell. You are wrong and your opinion sucks
there is no reason to not have simple, straight forward weaponry that comes without gimmicks. that kind of stuff is good.

the 550s were even made to be used in space stations. we can have both and people can use both? why REMOVE shit?
toemas

Post by toemas » #644525

massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:16 pm
thomanthewise5404 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:08 pm the autorifles are stupid boring ass generic assault rifles. literally the most generic gun i've ever seen, doesnt do anything remarkable at all
there is no reason to not have simple, straight forward weaponry that comes without gimmicks. that kind of stuff is good.

the 550s were even made to be used in space stations. we can have both and people can use both? why REMOVE shit?
because they're boring and nobody is going to use other guns when the autorifle exists and is superior to all of them
massa

Post by massa » #644529

thomanthewise5404 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:46 pm
massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:16 pm

because they're boring and nobody is going to use other guns when the autorifle exists and is superior to all of them
no, having normal weapons is good
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #644530

SS13 is a game with an action economy. You know why autorifles are loved?

Because they have high ammo capacity (fewer reload actions) and no gimmick that requires actions (thermo pistol shuffling, cocking).

Energy guns are almost the same, but reloading takes a lot of actions unless you spend the time waiting for a reload doing something.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #644557

You could just unload both pistols into someone with dualwielding. They have more accurate dual wielding capability. You can reliably hit targets at about 3 tiles or so, or so I found.