Massa tribalism peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Massa tribalism peanut

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644790

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31971
Massa, the one of newest consistent forms uses (superseded the ever venerable celularLAmp) has been banned!

It is a horrific thought that the moment one of us falls, the rest move in to rip us to shreds. Such is the brutality of the tg forums.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Re: Massa tribalism peanut

Post by BONERMASTER » #644796

This is the first time I have ever heard about server tribalism and this being a bannable thing. I don't even know what to argue here, is this even a permissable thing? Who is the administrator that pulled the trigger on this?

With confused regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #644803

BONERMASTER wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:26 pm This is the first time I have ever heard about server tribalism and this being a bannable thing. I don't even know what to argue here, is this even a permissable thing? Who is the administrator that pulled the trigger on this?

With confused regards
-BONERMASTER
From the forum rules -

We are here to have fun, if you are not having fun, maybe it would be best for you to take a break

If you consistently cause drama, we may ask (read: ban) that you take a break, and may also require that you abandon your old identity should we allow you to come back.

Please be respectful of other users. You can disagree with someone without being a hostile douchebag.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

Post by celularLAmp » #644804

People make fun of terry players for being racists

shouldn't manuel be allowed to be made fun of for being a roleplay server?

and the first note I don't think had to do with servers at all but just encouraging griefing even though it was clearly a joke
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #644805

shit ban
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #644808

BONERMASTER wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:26 pm This is the first time I have ever heard about server tribalism and this being a bannable thing. I don't even know what to argue here, is this even a permissable thing? Who is the administrator that pulled the trigger on this?

With confused regards
-BONERMASTER
You say you are an expert ban lawyer, yet have never even heard of toxic terry elitists
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #644809

When they strike down one the next will stand even taller. Mannymins will never break our spirits.
Image Image
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #644810

I don't think I can comment on this one since it involves me.

My stance should be pretty clear anyway.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #644811

Thunder11 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:48 pm

With confused regards
-BONERMASTER
You say you are an expert ban lawyer, yet have never even heard of toxic terry elitists
Similar to how you are misrepresenting and using false evidence against your victims in your ahelps, you are also attributing claims and hearsay to me that is simply not true. Terry elitism is certainly well-known to me, and I bet also the community at large. However, I can not recall a single time having heard the phrase "server-tribalism", even less so that it is being actively pursued!

I am certainly not perfect, and I will humbly admit, that the learning never stops, as I am already in the process of getting to the bottom of this. In the meanwhile, mister Pro Capone, you ought to keep your pointy fingers to yourself. If your last appeal is anything to go by, you should consider doing some humble learning yourself!

With wise regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #644812

As part of the discovery process here is a quick search of 'server tribalism' on the forums;

search.php?keywords=server+tribalism

EDIT: It's worth noting that a lot of these posts come from candidate debates, who were discussing how to reduce it.

It appears that the headmins have decided the correct solution is to ban anyone who speaks ill of a server.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #644814

wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #644815

celularLAmp wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:40 pm People make fun of terry players for being racists

shouldn't manuel be allowed to be made fun of for being a roleplay server?
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #644816

On one hand: This ban blows real bad and I really want to complain about it

On the other hand: digg frog pfp

Sorry massa
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
toemas

Post by toemas » #644818

Saying things that admins don't like is now a bannable offense
toemas

Post by toemas » #644820

also manuel is a garbage server with garbage players and that much is evident by just looking at their library
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #644821

lol
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644824

Bans like this don’t help solve server tribalism, they just exacerbate it when people see you can get banned for expressing your negative view of other servers.

Manuel generally has gotten a lot of it but it’s by no means unique to them. There’s plenty between Sybil and Terry as well, it’s inevitable.
Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #644825

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:49 pm
fair point
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #644828

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:23 pm Bans like this don’t help solve server tribalism, they just exacerbate it when people see you can get banned for expressing your negative view of other servers.

Manuel generally has gotten a lot of it but it’s by no means unique to them. There’s plenty between Sybil and Terry as well, it’s inevitable.
No, you see officer, there are other mass murderers out there and arresting me won’t do anything about them. Murder is going to happen even if you try arresting us so there’s no point in trying it. You aren’t solving the murder crisis.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #644829

I wish people were less mean.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #644830

I wish people were better and less mean.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #644831

I genuinely don't understand how people think acting like this adds some kind of value to the forums or even does anything but piss people off.

I don't personally care about your opinion on any of the servers, nor do I think most people care. You could at least present it in some kind of productive manner instead of just being a cunt about it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #644834

Looking past whatever buzzwords were used in the ban, I think this just boils down to “stop being toxic.” Which is almost unprecedented in forums, from what I know. I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but tbh forums have sucked for so long that I don’t really care (and i have no ground to stand on). Congrats to massa, you can now do something better with your time.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644838

NoxVS wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:55 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:23 pm Bans like this don’t help solve server tribalism, they just exacerbate it when people see you can get banned for expressing your negative view of other servers.

No, you see officer, there are other mass murderers out there and arresting me won’t do anything about them. Murder is going to happen even if you try arresting us so there’s no point in trying it. You aren’t solving the murder crisis.
Nox why are all your arguments bad faith and intentional misrepresentations.

What I’m saying is that dividing TG into 3 very different servers of very different environments will create people who prefer theirs to the others and start to express why that’s the case, some in a harsh and abrasive way.

I don’t see it as necessary to restrict speech to this degree because it doesn’t actually make servers friendlier with each other or improve relations, it just looks like muting people for being mean (which, to be fair, it is, but I sure as hell have never seen the forums have a problem with people being toxic when it’s being toxic about the right things).
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #644840

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 am What I’m saying is that dividing TG into 3 very different servers of very different environments will create people who prefer theirs to the others and start to express why that’s the case, some in a harsh and abrasive way.
lmao saying that the servers are going to create people, yeah it's the servers that make people, not people showing up and already being fully formed humans.

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 am I don’t see it as necessary to restrict speech to this degree because it doesn’t actually make servers friendlier with each other or improve relations, it just looks like muting people for being mean (which, to be fair, is is, but I sure as hell have never seen the forums have a problem with mean people when it suits the status quo).
It is muting and banning people for being mean. Stop being mean. This is not hard. We have a rule about it.

Welcome to the new normal.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644841

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:17 am lmao saying that the servers are going to create people, yeah it's the servers that make people, not people showing up and already being fully formed humans.
That’s right! Believe it or not, people have this thing where they begin to identify in communities that they exist in, and become partial to them. So long as this exists toxicity between them will also exist.
RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:17 am It is muting and banning people for being mean. Stop being mean. This is not hard. We have a rule about it.

Welcome to the new normal.
That’s fine. Then it should apply to every situation of someone being mean. Everyone should be protected by this rule, not just Manuel. If you are truly serious about enforcing it, then enforce it. It’d be applicable to a whole lot fuckin more situations than just this one.

Here’s to the new normal, anyway..
Spoiler:
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #644842

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:24 am That’s fine. Then it should apply to every situation of someone being mean. Everyone should be protected by this rule, not just Manuel. If you are truly serious about enforcing it, then enforce it. It’d be applicable to a whole lot fuckin more situations than just this one.
To speak in like the actual specifics of the situation: the issue is mainly with criticism that is ungrounded, that isn't constructive. "x bad" is garbage and we'd be better with less of it. You want to criticize Manuel? Go for it. I criticize Manuel all the time. You just have to be like, y'know, actually constructive about it, make comments that actually address the problems.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644845

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:29 am To speak in like the actual specifics of the situation: the issue is mainly with criticism that is ungrounded, that isn't constructive. "x bad" is garbage and we'd be better with less of it. You want to criticize Manuel? Go for it. I criticize Manuel all the time. You just have to be like, y'know, actually constructive about it, make comments that actually address the problems.
Why does Manuel get this unique protection though? Individuals are toxic to other individuals regularly on forums. People get plenty of toxic shit on their peanut threads directed at either them or the admin. They’re hardly ever articulated “critiques.” Where was this rule then?

Super Aggro Crag as funny as they are would have been banned 600 times by now if this rule was actually enforced as a standard equally.
Spoiler:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #644846

if you get warned repeatedly to stop doing something, stop doing it.

mr melbert recently sent me a forum warning about toxic bullshit and while I told him I disagreed with the warning, I would try to be more respectful. then I apologized to the person in question. it's not hard if you make an ounce
of effort to get along with the entire community
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #644847

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:34 am
RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:29 am To speak in like the actual specifics of the situation: the issue is mainly with criticism that is ungrounded, that isn't constructive. "x bad" is garbage and we'd be better with less of it. You want to criticize Manuel? Go for it. I criticize Manuel all the time. You just have to be like, y'know, actually constructive about it, make comments that actually address the problems.
Why does Manuel get this unique protection though? Individuals are toxic to other individuals regularly on forums. People get plenty of toxic shit on their peanut threads directed at either them or the admin. They’re hardly ever articulated “critiques.” Where was this rule then?

Super Aggro Crag as funny as they are would have been banned 600 times by now if this rule was actually enforced as a standard equally.
I think the new team is making a concentrated effort to make everyone a bit more polite on the forums
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #644848

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:34 am Why does Manuel get this unique protection though? Individuals are toxic to other individuals regularly on forums. People get plenty of toxic shit on their peanut threads directed at either them or the admin. They’re hardly ever articulated “critiques.” Where was this rule then?

Admins are generally unprotected from criticism because silencing mean words against staff is seen as pretty bad by everyone, staff included.

Individual toxicity? That gets reported and also it seems like an acceptable part of culture. Do you want to see peanuts gone? It seems part and parcel to me idk.

As for the server protections, this has been an issue that's been discussed as a part of the recent headmin election (already brought up) and discussed internally. Be baselessly toxic about any server and watch what happens.

The headmins have decided this term that their done with people spewing server toxicity for lulz. During my term we told admins to stop ragging on Terry and Manuel, now the rest of the community is being held up to this standard.
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #644850

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:29 am You want to criticize Manuel? Go for it. I criticize Manuel all the time. You just have to be like, y'know, actually constructive about it, make comments that actually address the problems.
Why? Sometimes it's hard to know exactly what is the problem. Sometimes you might not have fun on a certain server, but not know why. Not everyone wants to spend an hour contemplating the quality of a server and the reasons why they didn't enjoy it to justify criticizing the server.

It's frustrating to be told something you like is bad, without being given a good enough reason, but limiting how people speak over the forum isn't going to get rid of those thoughts, it's just going to make the people who feel them even more frustrated. I think this ban is especially atrocious.

Now, for another criticism of this ban.

I've reported posts for being against rule 7 in the past, posts that were less civil than massa's, but they were ignored.
But now when someone gives a criticism of manuel they get the boot? This really doesn't look good. I don't usually like massa but the idea of getting banned for saying "manuel bans are literally worst and more ridiculous than fulp bans" reflects badly on the forum administration when "Step down, clown. You did not pass. You're nothing but a deadmin candidate." is considered completely fine, not actionable.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644852

Funny you say that, because I placed Crag on post approval on the coding subforum for this exact same reason several months ago and have been very happy with the results. Been meaning to lift it.

Edit: This exact reason being "general toxicity", not server tribalism
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #644853

Mothblocks wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:00 am
Funny you say that, because I placed Crag on post approval on the coding subforum for this exact same reason several months ago and have been very happy with the results. Been meaning to lift it.

Why are you in your own peanut thread. Booooo.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644855

Usually I don't but I thought that one was interesting
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #644856

i could have told you myself aggro was warned/talked to, he's been pretty chill lately
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644859

Got you to leak a ban, conduct being sent to (other) headmins. I always win in the end as usual.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #644861

The question would be whether or not massa would react in the same way if he saw someone banned for shit talking Terry or Sybil.

The answer? Probably not.
Spoiler:

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #644862

there has not been one time that ive walked away thinking that one of massa’s forum posts has had an overall positive impact on the forum. this is not to say that every post of theirs i feel is negative, but it’s gotten to the point where i dont even read their posts even if it’s in a reply chain
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #644865

The difference between complaining about Manuel vs. the other servers is that Manuel deserves it.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #644985

Hard to imagine getting your jimmies rustled over a forum ban. It's a web 1.0 forum bro. Go outside for a couple weeks. Lift weights or something.
toemas

Post by toemas » #644988

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:30 pm Hard to imagine getting your jimmies rustled over a forum ban. It's a web 1.0 forum bro. Go outside for a couple weeks. Lift weights or something.
Hard to imagine getting your jimmies rustled over a forum post. It's a web 1.0 forum bro. Go outside for a couple weeks. Lift weights or something.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #644999

toemas wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:05 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:30 pm Hard to imagine getting your jimmies rustled over a forum ban. It's a web 1.0 forum bro. Go outside for a couple weeks. Lift weights or something.
Hard to imagine getting your jimmies rustled over a forum post. It's a web 1.0 forum bro. Go outside for a couple weeks. Lift weights or something.
Im so mad rn
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #645001

to all lurkers who did not yet know this: everything on this forum is written by one guy
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #645002

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:59 am there has not been one time that ive walked away thinking that one of massa’s forum posts has had an overall positive impact on the forum. this is not to say that every post of theirs i feel is negative, but it’s gotten to the point where i dont even read their posts even if it’s in a reply chain
While I agree with this, is it normal to walk away from anyone's forum posts thinking it had a positive impact?

Have you ever walked away from one of my posts thinking that it had an overall positive impact on the forum?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #645003

Every post I've ever made here deserves a Hugo, a Pullitzer, and any other award they give writers these days.
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #645005

RaveRadbury wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:14 pm Every post I've ever made here deserves a Hugo, a Pullitzer, and any other award they give writers these days.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #645008

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:33 am

Got you to leak a ban, conduct being sent to (other) headmins. I always win in the end as usual.
this wasn't a headmin ban, it was placed by the headcoders
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #645009

Tearling wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:58 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:59 am there has not been one time that ive walked away thinking that one of massa’s forum posts has had an overall positive impact on the forum. this is not to say that every post of theirs i feel is negative, but it’s gotten to the point where i dont even read their posts even if it’s in a reply chain
While I agree with this, is it normal to walk away from anyone's forum posts thinking it had a positive impact?

Have you ever walked away from one of my posts thinking that it had an overall positive impact on the forum?
read the next sentence
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #645012

iwishforducks wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:02 am
Tearling wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:58 pm

read the next sentence
Did you make a mistake when reading my post? I was asking if it's normal to come away from any post thinking it has a positive impact on the forum, it has nothing to do with "this is not to say that every post of theirs i feel is negative, but it’s gotten to the point where i dont even read their posts even if it’s in a reply chain"