toemas tosses pseudo-DDOSer into a plasmafire, gets banned by Scriptis

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

toemas tosses pseudo-DDOSer into a plasmafire, gets banned by Scriptis

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #656247

Bottom post of the previous page:

Peanut thread for: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32753

If you ask me, regardless of if toemas' ban is justified or not, I would issue a perma to Seth Deces for those lines toemas put under "damning evidence". That screams "Intentionally lagged the server" to me, along with joking about DDOS, and clear intent.

Any ways to make the thread title more inflammatory? Give me your suggestions below!
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Re: toemas tosses pseudo-DDOSer into a plasmafire, gets banned by Scriptis

Post by Mice World » #656424

Scriptis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:22 am You know, I could take this time to encourage people to apply to be admins on Sybil
Funny you mention this because I made an application earlier today. Highly doubt it will be accepted, as I don't have enough recent playtime and I'm sort of a controversial figure. But it never hurts to try right?
It keeps getting worse!?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #656426

Archie700 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:23 am
Scriptis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:10 am
Archie700 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:04 am Seth's behaviour was basically using a lag machine multiple round [...]
I'm not omnipresent. This is the first time I've seen this contraption in actual action, the round previous had a 210 (!!)-condenser chain that got somebody into hot shit by another admin. Even then, I was having dinner and was idle for most of the round.
Scriptis, did you ask Seth why he wanted to do the condenser chain? Did you know they caused lag before that?
Judging by the fact that he had the thing in a holofirelock box in a secluded corner of the station (ordnance), it's reasonable to assume it was to test its efficacy for cooling.

I personally have tried using bulk condensers to cool the supermatter engine. It's not the dumbest thing I've seen, and I encourage players to push the game's systems to their limits--as long as it's not hurting anybody, like the grief it caused the round prior. In this case, it didn't look like it was an issue.

I didn't know anything about what else he had done prior other than somebody getting bopped over it, but the condenser chain this round wasn't nearly as impactful (or laggy) as the one prior.
Ah, with that context, I could say you made the decision to allow Seth to do that in good faith.

The problem was that Seth was trying to do something that caused lag, though with fewer condensers, and I believe the lag was client-side due to having to load so much, so it wouldn't have been notice on the server itself.

There's also the assertion that he did it multiple rounds with lag, but I don't have the details.

EDIT: So I looked into last round and it turns out Seth knew about the 200-condenser monstrosity and logs implied he MADE IT.

https://scrubby.melonmesa.com/round/194 ... e=game.txt

Code: Select all

03:34:34	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "lkucy"	(96, 105, 2)	Medbay Central
03:34:35	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "lucy"	(96, 105, 2)	Medbay Central
03:34:37	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "OH YM GOD"	(96, 105, 2)	Medbay Central
03:34:38	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "LUCY"	(96, 105, 2)	Medbay Central
03:34:41	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "CHECK"	(89, 103, 2)	Medbay Central
03:34:42	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "THS PUT"	(89, 103, 2)	Medbay Central
03:35:26	EMOTE	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) screams!	(88, 89, 2)	Medbay Central
03:35:27	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "i did it"	(88, 89, 2)	Medbay Central
03:35:55	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "THE ULTIAMTE MACHIEN IS MINE"	(92, 79, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:02	EMOTE	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) gasps!	(95, 80, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:29	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "i did it"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:31	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "teh ultimate"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:32	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "machine"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:32	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "is so"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:33	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "funny"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:34	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "ahahah"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:34	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "haahah"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:37	WHISPER	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "IM SO"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:38	WHISPER	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "PROUD"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:39	WHISPER	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) "OF MYSELF"	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:47	EMOTE	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) seizes up and falls limp, their eyes dead and lifeless...	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:48	ACCESS	Mob Login: Hoolny/(Seth Deces) was assigned to a /mob/dead/observer		
03:36:48	GAME	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) Client Hoolny/(Seth Deces) has taken ownership of mob Seth Deces(/mob/dead/observer)	(89, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:51	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "HAAHAH"	(90, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:36:52	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "AHAHAH"	(90, 81, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:43	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "I MADE"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:44	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "IT"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:46	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "ITS BEAUTIFUL"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:51	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "I made that"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:52	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "im so proud"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:53	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "of ymself"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:54	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "no"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:56	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "its not 20"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:56	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "its"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:57	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "250"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:59	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "consumers"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:37:59	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "together"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:38:02	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "or more"	(90, 98, 2)	Medbay Central
03:38:04	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "yep"

SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "does the machine"	(126, 159, 2)	Fore Maintenance
03:42:40	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "only lag the area around you right"	(124, 148, 2)	Locker Room
03:42:49	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "how far"	(126, 121, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:42:50	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "were you"	(126, 116, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:43:00	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "thats"	(119, 114, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:43:01	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "so"	(116, 114, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:43:03	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "funy

03:48:03	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "LUCY what the fuck why did you kill me :("	(112, 166, 2)	Brig
03:48:11	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "you took my machine and took it for yours"	(107, 152, 2)	Fore Primary Hallway
03:48:12	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "how dare you"	(105, 145, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:48:14	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "I worked hard"	(105, 145, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:48:17	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "on making that thing

03:48:57	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "FEATURE"	(147, 138, 2)	Starboard Primary Hallway
03:49:00	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "I called it"	(147, 138, 2)	Starboard Primary Hallway
03:49:02	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "its a feature guys"	(147, 138, 2)	Starboard Primary Hallway
03:49:46	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "Imagine beign a DDOSER putting money into laggign TG seervers"	(127, 134, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:49:48	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "when all you need"	(126, 137, 2)	Central Primary Hallway
03:49:51	SAY	Hoolny/(Seth Deces) (DEAD) "is a couple of igniters"
This part is actually pretty gross. Dude knew what they were doing, the reported issue existed, and they continued to do it or wanted to do it.

They are lucky they got as far as they did with it both IC and OOC.
iamgoofball wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:49 am
Scriptis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:22 am iii) we secretly never have any senior admins on sybil because they all quit because of drama like this getting stirred up
iv) drama like this being stirred up generates the expectation that admins need to be perfect and never fuck up

Spoiler:
please apply to be a sybil admin, there are vacancies and there will be more vacancies soon
you and every single other admin who does this exact fuckin' pattern of behavior has the same two options:
1. say "ah yeah my bad, i was wrong, sorry"
2. quintuple down and never ever admit any form of fault whatsoever until it's far too late and has escalated to complaints/the entire community going "wtf"

every single time this happens at /tg/station, the admin picks 2

someday, an admin will pick 1 and be amazed how everyone immediately shuts the fuck up and stops caring because the admins demonstrated they aren't perfect and apologized for making a mistake

players will absolutely go hard on this because when we make mistakes, we have to draft a ban appeal and talk about how sorry we are to you, the admin banning us, and how we made a mistake and how we won't make that mistake again
when admins make mistakes, they get to deny the mistake happened, argue that there was no mistake, and then deny everything until headmins get involved and make an apology for them

it's simple as fuck, when you make a mistake and everyone calls you on it, just say "whoops, my bad, sorry" and then people will go away
don't append "ACTUALLY IT WAS JUSTIFIED BECAUSE X Y AND Z" that's how you end up looking like the admin who argued disposals is round removal
This is so toxically generalizing and wrong at the same time that its comical.

Do you really want to me to make a list of ban appeals where admins have bucked up and publicly admitted to and taken accountability for their mistakes? There are plenty of them.
Hugs
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #656435

Admins say "Oh sorry, my b" way more than they go hard and do an iron-faced doubledown "fuck the facts I'm right" spiel goofball. That's why its notable to the community when they do it.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Bdudy
Byond Username: Bdudy

Post by Bdudy » #656442

Scriptis wrote: v) holy shit we fuck up all the time dude what did you expect
vii) this is a toxic work environment, i'm putting in way too much effort, and i'm not getting paid
You've always done great. As an admin and as a player. One of the best.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #656446

Tearling wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:40 am
san7890 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:36 am The unpopular opinion would simply be the wrong option in this case. Not subjectively wrong, objectively wrong.
The unpopular opinion you're stating is objectively wrong in this case is: That a player should not take the rules into their own hands and round remove someone for breaking rule 1 precedent 4 without ahelping.
Is it fine, if in the future a similar situation happens this term, that I post this opinion of yours as precedent?
no because this is a peanut thread and i came up with that in all of five minutes to address a very niche point without any input from any of the other headmins, so to take it as precedent is folly. i don't know what happened to the phrase "act like a valid, get treated like a valid" went but it's still broadly applicable to the base terms of "Don't be a dick". it's like people hyperfixate on certain parts of the rules in ways that I haven't even thought about since 2019, or even as an admin administrating. i've seen people get gunned down in brig because they were being a shitter and they finally said "i'm telling the gods about this", at which point they were gunned down by everyone in the room since they had enough of their shit. i saw the whole thing unfold and immediately knew that no one who decided to kill the immersion-breaker should be punished

broadly i think i agree with Spookuni's sentiment that "Thoman shouldn't have been banned for what they did, but they should have been encouraged to ahelp stuff like that in the future", but on a personal note that I do not wish to hold anyone else to... man sometimes they get it right and when you see it, you know it was reasonable (Lighting someone's workplace on fire is a party foul as far as Escalation Policy, which operates in conjunction with Rule One Precedent Four). if you're petrified at the thought of being wrong and eating a note/ban/bwoink/whatever, then you definitely should ahelp it. remember: you can probably ahelp just about anything- you might not like the response you get sometimes though.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #656452

san7890 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:18 pm man sometimes they get it right and when you see it, you know it was reasonable (Lighting someone's workplace on fire is a party foul as far as Escalation Policy, which operates in conjunction with Rule One Precedent Four).
I see chemists setting chemistry on fire by accident all the time and not once have I seen an admin have the opinion that setting chemistry on fire, likely by accident, is justification for round removal. I believe, in this case, you are mistaken in believing that what toemas did was reasonable, especially because it was Seth's workplace as well.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #656453

Tearling wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:01 pm
san7890 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:18 pm man sometimes they get it right and when you see it, you know it was reasonable (Lighting someone's workplace on fire is a party foul as far as Escalation Policy, which operates in conjunction with Rule One Precedent Four).
I see chemists setting chemistry on fire by accident all the time and not once have I seen an admin have the opinion that setting chemistry on fire, likely by accident, is justification for round removal. I believe, in this case, you are mistaken in believing that what toemas did was reasonable, especially because it was Seth's workplace as well.
Yeah go ruin some tryhard's atmos 30-minute setup as Engineer and tell me how it goes.

Tearling

Post by Tearling » #656454

Agux909 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:17 pm
Yeah go ruin some tryhard's atmos 30-minute setup as Engineer and tell me how it goes.
Chances are I'd get ahelped. Because ahelping when someone ruins your 30 minute project is the normal thing to do, and should be encouraged.
What's not normal is to stun cuff the person, hear that it's an accident, then throw them into a plasmafire without once considering that maybe ahelping would be a good idea.
And even then, if the person that ruins your 30 minute setup as engineer is another engineer who was also working on their own setup coincidentally near your setup I can't really see the justification in wordlessly round removing them.

Can you see where I'm coming from?
What Seth did was stupid, what Toemas did was also stupid. They both should have been punished, instead, neither was. Now both will go on to likely make the game less fun in the future, especially because this stupid behavior has been encouraged by the headmins.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #656455

Tearling wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:46 pm
Agux909 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:17 pm
Chances are I'd get ahelped. Because ahelping when someone ruins your 30 minute project is the normal thing to do, and should be encouraged.
What's not normal is to stun cuff the person, hear that it's an accident, then throw them into a plasmafire without once considering that maybe ahelping would be a good idea.
And even then, if the person that ruins your 30 minute setup as engineer is another engineer who was also working on their own setup coincidentally near your setup I can't really see the justification in wordlessly round removing them.

What Seth did was stupid, what Toemas did was also stupid. They both should have been punished, instead, neither was. Now both will go on to likely make the game less fun in the future, especially because this stupid behavior has been encouraged by the headmins.
Not if the engi's setup consisted on spamming chat/lagging the round with no actual benefit to engineering. As was the case with Seth (by their own admission)

Tearling

Post by Tearling » #656456

Agux909 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:52 pm

Not if the engi's setup consisted on spamming chat/lagging the round with no actual benefit to engineering. As was the case with Seth (by their own admission)
If you can convince yourself that toemas did nothing wrong in this situation, there's no point in us arguing. Even Sans, the person I was arguing with, acknowledged that in his personal opinion toemas should have ahelped.
ChristopherRobin
Byond Username: Christopher Robin

Post by ChristopherRobin » #656457

Tearling wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:46 pm What Seth did was stupid, what Toemas did was also stupid. They both should have been punished, instead, neither was. Now both will go on to likely make the game less fun in the future
Literally this, two wrongs shouldn't make a right. If everyone is acting in bad faith everyone should get punished for it, not be justified because the other party was acting in bad faith too.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #656462

Tearling wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:55 pm
Agux909 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:52 pm

If you can convince yourself that toemas did nothing wrong in this situation, there's no point in us arguing. Even Sans, the person I was arguing with, acknowledged that in his personal opinion toemas should have ahelped.
It might surprise you, but I don't personally agree with the way Thomas acted there (it's not something I'd personally do), he tends to have aggressive knee jerk reactions. That doesn't mean I think what he did was punishable. We can't expect the whole playerbase to act as we would act or as our definition of "the right way to act". He had justification to do what he did at the time he did it, and when you analize the whole situation, you can't deny it falls more under the reasonable, even if the action itself might not be of your liking.

Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #656474

From a previous ban appeal (also by Thomas)
viewtopic.php?p=639967#p639967
It is true that Thoman should have chosen admin intervention when he got hit with the fire axe, especially if he suspects metagrudging. However, what you should do is different from what you can do. Thoman was explicitly provoked by this player, their choice to escalate directly instead is sympathizable. Being angry isn't any excuse to break the rules, of course, so did Thoman poorly escalate?

I don't think so.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #656735

Note that the alternative would be to leave Thomas banned but not Seth, which isn't even fair.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?