Immediate harm and the education chamber

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Immediate harm and the education chamber

Post by Mice World » #659378

Last round I played as HoS I had a flesh heretic captured in the education chamber. He offered to tell me the name of another heretic he was working with in exchange for his life. I was hashing out a deal with him when suddenly an engiborg comes in and takes him away. I give chase while trying to tell the borg to stop, it ignores me and says that by me having him in the education chamber, I was immediately harmful as it assumed I was going to execute the heretic.

Is this a valid?

The rules say:
Intent to cause immediate harm can be considered immediate harm.
The rules aren't really clear on what counts as "Immediate" harm. For the record, I didn't have a weapon or a lethal injection in my hand. It also, to my knowledge, didn't overhear me talking about executing them.

Sorry if the answer is obvious. I think I'm fairly good with silicon policy but it's little things like this that make me doubt myself.

EDIT: After looking at the logs for this round it seems like an Ion law removed the borg's law two, so that's why it wasn't listening to me. The borg also mentioned that because someone else wanted to execute the heretic in medbay it had just reason to assume I was going to execute him when he was found in the "death harm kill dead harm harm chamber". I honestly think the immediate harm rule might need to be a little more clear, because it doesn't seem like the borg was trying to act in bad faith.
Last edited by Mice World on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
It keeps getting worse!?
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Re: Immediate harm and the education chamber

Post by SkeletalElite » #659379

The education chamber is called the education chamber and has no camera in it for a reason.
The AI cannot assume that you are doing something harmful just because you took someone in there.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #659380

Ahelp it.
Mice World

Post by Mice World » #659382

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:17 amAhelp it.
I did at the time but the round is over so not much I can do. As I said in my edit, I don't think the borg was trying to act in bad faith.
It keeps getting worse!?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #659386

Seems pretty obvious to me - you were in the education chamber, not the execution chamber. Borg had no standing.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659392

I always thought this was just a roleplay suggestion, not a rule.

Rule 2 state it pretty explicitely:
I.e. metagaming. This especially refers to communication between players outside of the game via things like Discord, known as metacomms. Characters are otherwise allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics or antagonists,
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #659397

Firstly, its called the prisoner transfer chamber.
Secondly:
Prison Wing wrote:Why the caginess? A normal Asimov-lawset AI is required by its laws to stop any harm, even if it's being directed at the most murderboning antagonist. The smarty-pants of Nanotrasen have thus come up with a brilliant plan of telling a small white lie to the AI to commit one harm to save dozens of lives from further harm. Nevertheless, expect AIs and cyborgs to make it their round's goal to "accidentally" discover the purpose of this room (note, this is meta and frowned upon by admins).
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659403

By default, silicons don't know the harmful purpose of the reeducation chamber unless you go out of your way to prove it to them. There's a reason there aren't any cameras in there.
► Show Spoiler
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #659433

The entire purpose of the "prisoner transfer chamber" is to reduce silicon-on-security violence by having an innocuous place to conduct executions without upsetting the AI by doing it on-camera or in a room called "Execution"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659446

It is strictly a fact that silicons are not allowed to know that is the execution room unless they've been told that round.

I thiiiink a mid-round MMI'd cyborg is allowed to know, though? But they can't just tell the AI immediately on being borged "by the way the prisoner transfer room is an execution chamber" because that'd be a Dick Move. Basically, Silicons shouldn't know unless they're told and they shouldn't be told unless it's relevant. Now, a Human being taken in there screaming that they're going to be executed can have a 'borg show up and watch, probably.
Mice World

Post by Mice World » #659466

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:27 pm Firstly, its called the prisoner transfer chamber.
Secondly:
Prison Wing wrote:Why the caginess? A normal Asimov-lawset AI is required by its laws to stop any harm, even if it's being directed at the most murderboning antagonist. The smarty-pants of Nanotrasen have thus come up with a brilliant plan of telling a small white lie to the AI to commit one harm to save dozens of lives from further harm. Nevertheless, expect AIs and cyborgs to make it their round's goal to "accidentally" discover the purpose of this room (note, this is meta and frowned upon by admins).
This should probably be in silicon policy and not tucked away in the map's wiki page.
It keeps getting worse!?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659475

its a good reason why anyone playing silicon should be whitelisted
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659488

it's supposed to be a protected room for a reason. if the HoS/sec are playing in good faith and not brutally executing people in the middle of the brig, the AI/borgs shouldn't be going into the re-education chamber. Note: someone hollering on the radio that they're going to be executed is a valid reason to have a borg tag along. Take away their radio before they figure out they're gonna be executed or it's absolutely a skill issue.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #659503

datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:41 am it's supposed to be a protected room for a reason. if the HoS/sec are playing in good faith and not brutally executing people in the middle of the brig, the AI/borgs shouldn't be going into the re-education chamber. Note: someone hollering on the radio that they're going to be executed is a valid reason to have a borg tag along. Take away their radio before they figure out they're gonna be executed or it's absolutely a skill issue.
Except there's a roughly 50/50 chance the person you arrested will scream over common "AI HELP HUMAN HARM BEING EXECUTED" regardless of what you arrested them for or whether you hurt them or not, so you should probably ignore that too.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #659510

SkeletalElite wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:20 am
datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:41 am it's supposed to be a protected room for a reason. if the HoS/sec are playing in good faith and not brutally executing people in the middle of the brig, the AI/borgs shouldn't be going into the re-education chamber. Note: someone hollering on the radio that they're going to be executed is a valid reason to have a borg tag along. Take away their radio before they figure out they're gonna be executed or it's absolutely a skill issue.
Except there's a roughly 50/50 chance the person you arrested will scream over common "AI HELP HUMAN HARM BEING EXECUTED" regardless of what you arrested them for or whether you hurt them or not, so you should probably ignore that too.
I miss the old headmin ruling that if you claimed sec was beating/executing you, they immediately got a free pass to do that to you.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #659513

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:44 pm I miss the old headmin ruling that if you claimed sec was beating/executing you, they immediately got a free pass to do that to you.
That sounds based. If this was 6 months ago I'd've voted to bring that back.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659515

Timberpoes wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:59 pm
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:44 pm I miss the old headmin ruling that if you claimed sec was beating/executing you, they immediately got a free pass to do that to you.
That sounds based. If this was 6 months ago I'd've voted to bring that back.
Imagine how easy it would be for a misunderstanding to occur when one sec off actually does beat you, then another comes around the corner and hears you saying that, then takes that as a chance to beat you into crit.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659516

Tearling wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:03 pm Imagine how easy it would be for a misunderstanding to occur when one sec off actually does beat you, then another comes around the corner and hears you saying that, then takes that as a chance to beat you into crit.
Let's say accuser is saying that security officer A is beating him.

If security officer B turned the corner and started beating the accuser, he would be in the wrong because he wouldn't know if the accusation was true or not.

If security officer B was with security officer A and knew the accuser was lying, he'd be free to join in on the retribution.
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #659518

A child crying wolf becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy as an administrative stance would make security less tiresome.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659547

SkeletalElite wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:20 am Except there's a roughly 50/50 chance the person you arrested will scream over common "AI HELP HUMAN HARM BEING EXECUTED" regardless of what you arrested them for or whether you hurt them or not, so you should probably ignore that too.
So... you just
A) don't immediately execute them
B) take their radio off right then and there because they're being small children
C) hold them for a while until the AI has something better to do than watch some small child throw a tantrum in the permabrig
D) finally execute them IN the execution chamber, assuming it's something they deserve.
honestly I don't play sec often, but when I do I tend to gulag people that cry wolf instead of just brigging them. 50/50 chance they'll ghost or suicide instead of doing their 500 point sentence or trying to escape.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659560

datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:47 pm
SkeletalElite wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:20 am Except there's a roughly 50/50 chance the person you arrested will scream over common "AI HELP HUMAN HARM BEING EXECUTED" regardless of what you arrested them for or whether you hurt them or not, so you should probably ignore that too.
So... you just
A) don't immediately execute them
B) take their radio off right then and there because they're being small children
C) hold them for a while until the AI has something better to do than watch some small child throw a tantrum in the permabrig
D) finally execute them IN the execution chamber, assuming it's something they deserve.
honestly I don't play sec often, but when I do I tend to gulag people that cry wolf instead of just brigging them. 50/50 chance they'll ghost or suicide instead of doing their 500 point sentence or trying to escape.
why give them 500 points when all you need is 30
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659561

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:30 pm why give them 500 points when all you need is 30
Because if they do put in a good-faith effort to do the gulag I want the station to get more than 30 glass out of it.

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #659562

It's not too late for us to resurrect it

(Also, the Prisoner Transfer/Education chambers are very explicitly not meant to be metagamed. If Security isn't giving you a ton of reasons to look at it, and you're not doing something like looking for a missing sec member or prisoner, don't dick around in those places.)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659565

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:56 pm
It's not too late for us to resurrect it

(Also, the Prisoner Transfer/Education chambers are very explicitly not meant to be metagamed. If Security isn't giving you a ton of reasons to look at it, and you're not doing something like looking for a missing sec member or prisoner, don't dick around in those places.)
if i'm the captain, and someone screams over comms that i'm executing them when ive shown absolutely no inclination to do so, i will:

1. if they had previously done something that would likely get them permad or executed, execute them on the fucking spot by removing their head
2. tiders get gulagged for maximum points

screaming that shit over comms is the top of the ultra childish "COME HELP ME SOMEONE BECAUSE I FUCKED UP AND IM ABOUT TO BE PUNISHED FOR IT" chart. honestly, i think whoever screams that shit should be banned a couple hours unless you are antag. it can potentially create a whole slew of problems, along the same lines of faking a revolution.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #659592

100% would have slapped the Borg from just what I'm reading alone, if you're ever unsure about something I encourage you to ahelp before the round ends
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659594

The more people do this sort of thing the less people will actually consider it might be real when the changeling sec officer is slurping on their gene smoothie.
Hugs
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659703

Farquaar wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:07 pm
Tearling wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:03 pm Imagine how easy it would be for a misunderstanding to occur when one sec off actually does beat you, then another comes around the corner and hears you saying that, then takes that as a chance to beat you into crit.
Let's say accuser is saying that security officer A is beating him.

If security officer B turned the corner and started beating the accuser, he would be in the wrong because he wouldn't know if the accusation was true or not.

If security officer B was with security officer A and knew the accuser was lying, he'd be free to join in on the retribution.
It'd be very hard to prove what security officer B knew, unless he admits it himself or he has to interact with something that leaves a trace in the logs before he turns the corner.
In the example you give, lets say the accuser is lying. How does Security Officer B know the accuser is lying if he's around the corner, and how can an admin prove what he does/doesn't know?
It becomes more obvious if the accuser is telling the truth, but it's still a mess of a situation.

It gets even worst considering execution. Lets say a security officer mentions executing a prisoner, the prisoner overhears, and tells the AI. Then the HoS hears about it, says he never intended to okay the execution, but because he's now allowed to execute him from a rules standpoint he decides to do it.

Who did something wrong in this situation? The security officer for raising the idea, knowing he didn't have the authority to do it? The prisoner for rightfully raising the subject to the AI? Or the HoS who had no intention of executing the prisoner before he was essentially given a free pass to execute them by the crying sheep rule?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659704

Tearling wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:34 pm It'd be very hard to prove what security officer B knew, unless he admits it himself or he has to interact with something that leaves a trace in the logs before he turns the corner.
In the example you give, lets say the accuser is lying. How does Security Officer B know the accuser is lying if he's around the corner, and how can an admin prove what he does/doesn't know?
It becomes more obvious if the accuser is telling the truth, but it's still a mess of a situation.
It'd be the same with every other situation in the game where players are expected to act on incomplete information. We have plenty of rulings on whether it's reasonable to assume someone is an antag, is suspicious enough to warrant a search, is dangerous enough to warrant a lethal response, etc.

Just apply common sense. If security officer B had good reason to believe that the accuser was lying (i.e. he can see the accuser is sitting comfy bucklecuffed to a chair with barely any bruises), then he can go ahead and commence the beatdown because he knows the accused is obviously lying. If he doesn't have a good reason to believe the accuser is lying and he ends up administering a bad beatdown/execution, then he's on the hook for it.

You don't have to be a mind-reader. Just treat it like any other issue involving player knowledge or suspicion.
► Show Spoiler
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659705

Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 pm
Tearling wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:34 pm It'd be very hard to prove what security officer B knew, unless he admits it himself or he has to interact with something that leaves a trace in the logs before he turns the corner.
It'd be the same with every other situation in the game where players are expected to act on incomplete information. We have plenty of rulings on whether it's reasonable to assume someone is an antag, is suspicious enough to warrant a search, is dangerous enough to warrant a lethal response, etc.

You don't have to be a mind-reader. Just treat it like any other issue involving player knowledge or suspicion.
You didn't actually answer the question for the execution situation.
Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 pm Just apply common sense. If security officer B had good reason to believe that the accuser was lying (i.e. he can see the accuser is sitting comfy bucklecuffed to a chair with barely any bruises), then he can go ahead and commence the beatdown because he knows the accused is obviously lying. If he doesn't have a good reason to believe the accuser is lying and he ends up administering a bad beatdown/execution, then he's on the hook for it.
In this example you give... the accuser was beaten. As you put it, he barely had any bruises, which means he did have a few. You just gave a prime example for why this ruling would be stupid without even intentionally doing so.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659707

Tearling wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:33 pm You didn't actually answer the question for the execution situation.
If I tell a prisoner I intend to execute them, and they tell the AI that I intend to execute them, then the prisoner isn't lying. If you're going to jump to execution by claiming they weren't being truthful, you better have a good reason to suspect otherwise. Again, common sense that we apply in literally every other in-game situation where incomplete information may be at play.
Tearling wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:33 pm
Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 pm Just apply common sense. If security officer B had good reason to believe that the accuser was lying (i.e. he can see the accuser is sitting comfy bucklecuffed to a chair with barely any bruises), then he can go ahead and commence the beatdown because he knows the accused is obviously lying. If he doesn't have a good reason to believe the accuser is lying and he ends up administering a bad beatdown/execution, then he's on the hook for it.
In this example you give... the accuser was beaten. As you put it, he barely had any bruises, which means he did have a few. You just gave a prime example for why this ruling would be stupid without even intentionally doing so.
"HELP HELP SECURITY IS BEATING ME HELP" does not result in a few minor bruises. If you start screaming about security brutalizing you so people will rush to your aid, you better have injuries worse than a stubbed toe.
► Show Spoiler
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #659708

Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:54 pm If I tell a prisoner I intend to execute them, and they tell the AI that I intend to execute them, then the prisoner isn't lying. If you're going to jump to execution by claiming they weren't being truthful, you better have a good reason to suspect otherwise. Again, common sense that we apply in literally every other in-game situation where incomplete information may be at play.
You still didn't answer the question...
Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 pm "HELP HELP SECURITY IS BEATING ME HELP" does not result in a few minor bruises. If you start screaming about security brutalizing you so people will rush to your aid, you better have injuries worse than a stubbed toe.
It... can. Actually, yes, it can. Security punching a prisoner a few times is a beating. If you're handcuffed and can't fight back, it makes perfect sense to call for help when you're being... well... beaten by security.

It's a bit silly to imagine seeing a guy who was punched a couple times by security calling for help, then going "He didn't get beaten up enough to justify calling for help" so you use that justification to beat him up further. I can only imagine the field day certain admins would have with a situation like this.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659710

1. I did answer your question. If you believe I didn't, then you're free to rephrase it.
2. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. If you believe that everyone who sees a crewman with 3 brute damage has good reason to believe that said crewman was the victim of a recent, savage beating, then I don't know what to tell you.
► Show Spoiler
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #659713

Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 pm

Just apply common sense. If security officer B had good reason to believe that the accuser was lying (i.e. he can see the accuser is sitting comfy bucklecuffed to a chair with barely any bruises), then he can go ahead and commence the beatdown because he knows the accused is obviously lying. If he doesn't have a good reason to believe the accuser is lying and he ends up administering a bad beatdown/execution, then he's on the hook for it.

But what about the RP point of view? Being baton'd isn't going to do any damage unless they harmbaton, but if they just regular-baton it won't leave any marks. But the restrained prisoner isn't going to enjoy this. So they call for help that Security is abusing them. People come look, they're uninjured. "AHA! THEY'RE NOW VALID!!!"

It's a stupid idea.