Captain gets banned for making a prisoner play Russian Roulette

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Captain gets banned for making a prisoner play Russian Roulette

Post by ekaterina » #692441

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34358

A month-long ban for this? That is beyond insane. Unless he's done stuff like this before, all this should result in is "hey, you can't do that, don't round remove people who haven't committed capital crimes" and maybe a standard 1 day ban for 1 kill.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: Captain gets banned for making a prisoner play Russian Roulette

Post by sinfulbliss » #693026

Archie700 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:19 am "If you lose you die, and we won't let you be revived." doesn't even sound contrived IMO. Even Timber and Kieth have said that the Captain should have told Lucy that he would not allow her revival afterwards, in no uncertain terms.

To quote Kieth"
kieth4 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:38 pm We can hark on about how we would interpret it but if they weren't entirely upfront and clear it's easy to see where the confusion came from. When I see death for example I don't assume RR. "I'm going to kill you" I say to the assistants breaking into brig, then I kill them and throw their corpses out. It is fine to punish someone for prevent the revival- but I think that 30 days is a bit much.
It feels more like sinful going off his own opinion of failRP in general.
I think you missed my point. I think they probably should've said this too, but the fact they didn't is less them being an asshole IMO and more them just saying what sounds more natural. Which "you lose you die" does, it just flows better in the scene than "you will be killed and NOT revived (because of course, I'd have to revive you ordinarily, as round removal would be a bit far [this is what's implied which is sorta failRP to me but perhaps necessary failRP])." Miscommunication- but at this point we're repeating ourselves.
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693033

I don't think anyone should be admin unless they master atmospherics
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693034

"My answer is x, where x is defined by x^2-3x+2=0.

mama aint raised no bitch"

Guess he's both banned and unbanned until next time he tries to log in.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #693035

He should be held at gunpoint until he gives an INTEGER answer
Spoiler:
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #693040

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:50 am He should be held at gunpoint until he gives an INTEGER answer
NTA. Timberpoes should've clarified that 1 or 2 means 1 or 2. Why should he assume that 1 or 2 means he has to give an integer answer? :honkman:
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #693042

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:47 am "My answer is x, where x is defined by x^2-3x+2=0.

i suck at quadratics so much i have to use the -b formula every time
respect (let him do his thing)
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #693044

Archie700 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:43 am It would be lame and improper under LRP rules, you are not supposed to RR someone just for breaking into the brig once.
I will kill you and leave you there if you start breaking into the brig with what looks like serious intent and so will anyone playing sec.

This expectation is thoroughly baked into the rules and written out that you should, in fact, explicitly expect to die if you start forcing your way into brig or command.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #693056

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:47 am "My answer is x, where x is defined by x^2-3x+2=0.

They played Russian Roulette with a double-barrelled shotgun and pulled both triggers.

Brave.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693061

kinnebian wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:43 pm

You mean the quadratic equation?
How does that mean you suck at them you're literally using the formula for them.
s5nt
Byond Username: S5nt

Post by s5nt » #693072

for simple quadratics like this just think of what can add to make b and multiply to make c, in this case -1 and -2 add to make b and multiply to make c, to make it easier you can also list the factors of b out and then go through and check every pair for which one adds to c.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #693074

s5nt wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:26 pm

for simple quadratics like this just think of what can add to make b and multiply to make c, in this case -1 and -2 add to make b and multiply to make c, to make it easier you can also list the factors of b out and then go through and check every pair for which one adds to c.
i can appreciate this method but unfortunately it doesnt work for me personally in m y head so i have more consistency using -b even if it takes longer
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #693085

chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #693086

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:26 pm

They played Russian Roulette with a double-barrelled shotgun and pulled both triggers.

Brave.
Instead of a server ban, choose a random half of all roles and ban him from them.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #693087

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:13 pm

You mean the quadratic equation?
How does that mean you suck at them you're literally using the formula for them.
You don't need to use the formula for this case. It's just finding a pair of factors of 2 that also sum up to -3, then multiplying those factors by -1.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #693088

We need to normalize the idea that it's actually okay sometimes to break character if it means you're going to make the situation more interesting or enjoyable for both people involved. For instance, if I kidnap someone and want to put a bomb on them, I don't think there should be a problem with me going, in character, "(OOC: Psst, I'm going to put a bomb on you like in 30 minutes or less, play along!)" and hopefully getting a cooler interaction out of it. If I don't do this, the person might just go straight to sec and say "fuck it, I don't care if they explode me", but if I do, they might be willing to go along with it and do the whole "I'm wired with a bomb, I need you to give me this or I'm going to blow a hole in the station" gimmick.

Other servers have LOOC for this reason but our maintainers don't see any value in it due to us having lower RP requirements, so we kinda have to get around it a little bit. I would never bonk someone for doing something like this, especially if it makes the round more fun.

That being said, back on topic - Timber's right, they should've been specific that they intended to prevent them from being revived in some way.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #693089

Vekter wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:16 pm We need to normalize the idea that it's actually okay sometimes to break character if it means you're going to make the situation more interesting or enjoyable for both people involved. For instance, if I kidnap someone and want to put a bomb on them, I don't think there should be a problem with me going, in character, "(OOC: Psst, I'm going to put a bomb on you like in 30 minutes or less, play along!)" and hopefully getting a cooler interaction out of it. If I don't do this, the person might just go straight to sec and say "fuck it, I don't care if they explode me", but if I do, they might be willing to go along with it and do the whole "I'm wired with a bomb, I need you to give me this or I'm going to blow a hole in the station" gimmick.

Other servers have LOOC for this reason but our maintainers don't see any value in it due to us having lower RP requirements, so we kinda have to get around it a little bit. I would never bonk someone for doing something like this, especially if it makes the round more fun.

That being said, back on topic - Timber's right, they should've been specific that they intended to prevent them from being revived in some way.
another reason why LOOC would be good
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #693092

Breaking character, hell even breaking rules, is sometimes good, sometimes fine, as a treat.

The problem is when you piss off at least one other person.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #693094

kinnebian wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:27 pm another reason why LOOC would be good
I'll ask them again, but last time it was brought up oranges was pretty adamant that he doesn't want it. That was in 2018 though, so maybe his mind has changed? Mothblocks seems to be against it as well but I haven't actually talked to her yet, so I'll see what she says.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #693110

Vekter wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:16 pm We need to normalize the idea that it's actually okay sometimes to break character if it means you're going to make the situation more interesting or enjoyable for both people involved. For instance, if I kidnap someone and want to put a bomb on them, I don't think there should be a problem with me going, in character, "(OOC: Psst, I'm going to put a bomb on you like in 30 minutes or less, play along!)" and hopefully getting a cooler interaction out of it. If I don't do this, the person might just go straight to sec and say "fuck it, I don't care if they explode me", but if I do, they might be willing to go along with it and do the whole "I'm wired with a bomb, I need you to give me this or I'm going to blow a hole in the station" gimmick.

breaking character is a cardinal sin ngl…. it just feels tacky to have to “play along” OOCly when it wouldnt make sense to and doubly so if you guys need to talk about it beforehand. It can be hard sticking to a characters wants and needs when you have OOC wants but its so worth it. Seeing someone genuinely panic as a hostage (or in this scenario, bomb hostage) would be priceless. Seeing them go “fuck this” and run into sec to be a human frag grenade also sounds memorable, but wouldn these moments be watered down if i have to verify oocly with the person?
► Show Spoiler
TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #693111

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:33 pm

breaking character is a cardinal sin ngl…. it just feels tacky to have to “play along” OOCly when it wouldnt make sense to and doubly so if you guys need to talk about it beforehand. It can be hard sticking to a characters wants and needs when you have OOC wants but its so worth it. Seeing someone genuinely panic as a hostage (or in this scenario, bomb hostage) would be priceless. Seeing them go “fuck this” and run into sec to be a human frag grenade also sounds memorable, but wouldn these moments be watered down if i have to verify oocly with the person?
► Show Spoiler
cringe take. if you're breaking character to make absolutely sure what your doing is okay with a player you're both covering your own ass and being kind enough to take into consideration the feelings of the other. "wahhh my rp feels inorganic because my actions are a bit of a grey area and I need to pause for a few seconds to check with them that they're cool with it!!!" if you're causing this kind of trouble where your actions wouldn't already be allowed by the rules, maybe you just shouldn't act like this if you won't bother making sure the person is fine with it...
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #693112

MY GOD I can't believe we're still having this intensely boring conversation...there are no interesting takes in this thread.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #693125

we should remove felinids on MRP only.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #693126

TypicalRig wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:49 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:33 pm

► Show Spoiler
cringe take. if you're breaking character to make absolutely sure what your doing is okay with a player you're both covering your own ass and being kind enough to take into consideration the feelings of the other. "wahhh my rp feels inorganic because my actions are a bit of a grey area and I need to pause for a few seconds to check with them that they're cool with it!!!" if you're causing this kind of trouble where your actions wouldn't already be allowed by the rules, maybe you just shouldn't act like this if you won't bother making sure the person is fine with it...
I 1000% agree with Lisa here. "Covering your own ass" by saying cringe OOC-tangential shit and "confirming" things to be absolutely completely positive you can't possibly get in trouble for it, is pussy shit, makes the RP inauthentic, and I would absolutely rather risk fucking up as this captain did and getting a note if it means you get to play freely with authentic, natural stories being formed.

"Not sure if the gods will like that"

"Isn't that against company policy?"

"Centcom will be up my ass for that"

Anyone who says these sorts of things should be shot to Mars and banished to 300 years of Citadel.

Also Murmic you're not exactly the best person to speak on this since... You often say things like "he overescalated" and "killbaiting" and other OOC-tangential terms IC, which is failRP. I think you're desensitized to it.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #693128

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:33 pm breaking character is a cardinal sin ngl…. it just feels tacky to have to “play along” OOCly when it wouldnt make sense to and doubly so if you guys need to talk about it beforehand. It can be hard sticking to a characters wants and needs when you have OOC wants but its so worth it. Seeing someone genuinely panic as a hostage (or in this scenario, bomb hostage) would be priceless. Seeing them go “fuck this” and run into sec to be a human frag grenade also sounds memorable, but wouldn these moments be watered down if i have to verify oocly with the person?
► Show Spoiler
I think we've just got different mindsets. I know that I'd find myself well at home on a more RP-centric or even HRP server, but I like the goofy bullshit that comes with /tg/'s brand of MRP too much to leave.
kinnebian wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:27 pm another reason why LOOC would be good
I talked to Mothblocks, she says she's seen it used way more for doing shit like going "lmao that was funny" than actually planning out RP or explaining mechanics and it tends to take her out of immersion which, yeah, I get that.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #693131

Vekter wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:58 am I talked to Mothblocks, she says she's seen it used way more for doing shit like going "lmao that was funny" than actually planning out RP or explaining mechanics and it tends to take her out of immersion which, yeah, I get that.
man the whole POINT of LOOC is that it keeps you immersed, you don't have to be doing LOOC-shit IC which really breaks the immersion
not like she has to use it
Spoiler:
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #693136

oranges wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:31 am we should remove felinids on MRP only.
The fate of Manuel if Felinids were ever removed:
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #693140

Furries basically bankroll this community
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #693144

Lacran wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:28 am Furries basically bankroll this community
This is why we should nuke rule 8, imagine all the extra donations the server would get
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693147

Lacran wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:28 am Furries basically bankroll this community
I tried to fight against big fur and basically the response I got was that for the sum of money required I might as well start my own server.
TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #693163

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:49 am
a lot of average sinfulbliss scenario quotes that don't actually happen
there's no fundamental difference between saying something doesn't vibe with me in looc and as a character other than making it clear that maybe the situation is only fun for you. If you can't detach yourself for a split second and it ruins your authenticity that's a failure as you as a player, not the system lol.

also you only gave example scenario that has to do with character breaks that have to do with rule concerns rather than scenarios where you know you are breaking the rules but think the character is fine with it which usually creates less problems. we definitely have players who treat each other more harshly because both parties OOCly know they're fine with it (Lukas and Gor-Rok) but you wouldn't know this with the average player at first interaction.

EDIT: also why is the guy who talked to me about how weird this mechanic is to me in IC and then asked why I'm suddenly from the "manuel sector" when I joked back "What do you mean?" going on some rp purity/authenticity tirade? I need to stop taking you seriously when you argue takes completely opposite to your playstyle.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #693164

as a cringe roleplayer i personally don't like the idea of looc. i've played downstreams/hrp servers where it's used and it detracted quite heavily from the improvisational nature of the game.

my main concern is that it hands too much OOC fiat to players to micromanage ongoing IC situations. rolling with the punches and making sense of nonsensical situations is a big part of the game, and oftentimes half-baked information and uninformed choices act as the catalyst for a lot of interesting and unexpected scenarios that turn into memorable stories. with looc this blurs the line too much between giving consent to something which is unclear and ultimately vetting and gatekeeping people's contributions to the IC space by giving people the power to commentate and referee what is happening as it happens in an OOC way in order to sway IC decisions.

a big part of engaging with an improvisational space is also relinquishing control of situations to allow them to develop organically. with looc it's a safety net that allows players to combat against rp situations which they don't like, and i feel that this goes against the intended experience of the game in a lot of ways. you should not be afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone, and allowing people to dissuade situations from happening by leveraging looc to argue their case in an OOC way is something i wouldn't like to see.

people get tunnel vision over this sort of thing. the beauty of this game is the narratives that emerge from the chaos of so many interacting systems. if you restrict that range of expression down into a handful of rote choices either as a reaction to mechanics or as a reaction to rp input that you don't like then you're ultimately fucking yourself over and depriving yourself of the intended experience.

i much prefer things to remain IC as much as possible. breaking kayfabe is something i sincerely hate doing unless it's absolutely 100% necessary. obviously not everyone feels this way, and looc forms a large part of hrp servers where people enjoy that sort of environment - i would just argue that mrp is too different to that for it to be compatible.

we also already have rules that allow people to use metagame/OOC terminology to teach people the game, so this is already something that shouldn't be punished when it's being done appropriately.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #693168

TypicalRig wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:17 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:49 am
a lot of average sinfulbliss scenario quotes that don't actually happen
there's no fundamental difference between saying something doesn't vibe with me in looc and as a character other than making it clear that maybe the situation is only fun for you. If you can't detach yourself for a split second and it ruins your authenticity that's a failure as you as a player, not the system lol.

also you only gave example scenario that has to do with character breaks that have to do with rule concerns rather than scenarios where you know you are breaking the rules but think the character is fine with it which usually creates less problems. we definitely have players who treat each other more harshly because both parties OOCly know they're fine with it (Lukas and Gor-Rok) but you wouldn't know this with the average player at first interaction.

EDIT: also why is the guy who talked to me about how weird this mechanic is to me in IC and then asked why I'm suddenly from the "manuel sector" when I joked back "What do you mean?" going on some rp purity/authenticity tirade? I need to stop taking you seriously when you argue takes completely opposite to your playstyle.
1. I am able to do the OOC “vibe check” but would rather not. I prefer to have a natural story where both players’ feelings are expressed purely IC to keep things immersive, raw, and unchoreographed.

2. Nitpicking. Character breaks dealing with rule concerns (your favorite type) are even more cringe than character breaks for OOC consent. Playfights are usually between friends so the consent is implicit.

3. There’s a difference between idle chatter about mechanics and a legitimate story that requires immersive RP. I don’t need to think everything out your mouth has to be roleplay to still argue for preserving some sense of spontaneity in actual RP stories.
Spoiler:
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #693175

I get why we don't have looc but at the same time it's super annoying having to say stuff like "press the little 'z' button on the side of the destination tagger" instead of just saying "press z on that"
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #693176

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:39 am I get why we don't have looc but at the same time it's super annoying having to say stuff like "press the little 'z' button on the side of the destination tagger" instead of just saying "press z on that"
this is allowed my dear friend c:
Rule 3 wrote:There is an exception for OOC in IC where terms like 'clickdrag X to Y, or look for the tab' is used to help a player.
the way i see it is like when you're playing metal gear solid, a game lauded for its highly immersive story or whatever, but the characters will stare down the camera lens and just tell you to crouch by pressing X and it just works. (this is purely an assumption, i actually haven't played these games that much...!)

EDIT: a minor anecdote that came to mind: when i first played tgmc i got around this "issue" by approaching someone and saying "if this shotgun were hypothetically controlled by a keyboard, what button would i press to rack it?" and they enjoyed that very much.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #693177

dendydoom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:44 am the way i see it is like when you're playing metal gear solid, a game lauded for its highly immersive story or whatever, but the characters will stare down the camera lens and just tell you to crouch by pressing X and it just works. (this is purely an assumption, i actually haven't played these games that much...!)
This is the best fucking example I've ever seen.

For reference, the dialogue literally is:
"Colonel, can you hear me?"
"What's the situation"
"Looks like the elevator on the back is the only way up"
"Understood. If you need to talk to me, hit me on this frequency.
When you wanna use the codec, push the select button.
When we need to contact you, you'll hear your codec beep.
When you hear that beep, push the select button."
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #693179

conrad wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:53 am
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:44 am the way i see it is like when you're playing metal gear solid, a game lauded for its highly immersive story or whatever, but the characters will stare down the camera lens and just tell you to crouch by pressing X and it just works. (this is purely an assumption, i actually haven't played these games that much...!)
This is the best fucking example I've ever seen.

For reference, the dialogue literally is:
"Colonel, can you hear me?"
"What's the situation"
"Looks like the elevator on the back is the only way up"
"Understood. If you need to talk to me, hit me on this frequency.
When you wanna use the codec, push the select button.
When we need to contact you, you'll hear your codec beep.
When you hear that beep, push the select button."
"In any case, you should contact Meryl by Codec. Wasn't her frequency written on the back of the CD case?"
Spoiler:
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #693184

Man I dropped out of college so I DIDNT have to see math
TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #693191

Drag wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:36 pm Man I dropped out of college so I DIDNT have to see math
gonna have to purposely get noted by drag solely to make a math based appeal
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #693640

I didn't understand Timber's last response in the appeal, until I found this:
Played Russian Roulette with then-Headmin Timberpoes on the Forums as part of a ban appeal. Gave a smartass answer and simultaneously won and lost, reaping the fruits of said smartassery. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34358
Something something taste of his on medicine.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #693674

I like how after he got perma'd he didn't apologize and left it standing
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?