"I didn't do anything to harm a person's round" peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

"I didn't do anything to harm a person's round" peanut

Post by Constellado » #707666

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35092

Lorwp at it again with another similar ban in which two non antags have a fight! This time in Sybil.

I am sad to hear that a player quit because of NRP behaviour. Does the appealant realise the real reason they got the day ban?

It is very annoying to get shoved by a person onto a table FNR by the way. You end up having to defend yourself and it ends up ruining a chunk of your round because the conflict usually ends in somebody going to medbay.

But its sybil so... *shrug*
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Re: "I didn't do anything to harm a person's round" peanut

Post by dendydoom » #707669

i've heard lrp players say that a "stun is a kill" because you're completely helpless and can get cuffed/killed easily so it's a big deal yet others will also argue that it's not a big deal and shovefights where you table someone or shovespam them into a wall is just goofin. genuine question: which is it? on mrp shove fights happen all the time and often don't escalate beyond that.

also, in total honesty, i often view slurs and very intense insults as fighting words that can instigate a valid conflict (when it's not some rule 11 shit). but this is a lot different when someone is speaking out of frustration because someone attacked them first.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #707670

dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 am i've heard lrp players say that a "stun is a kill" because you're completely helpless and can get cuffed/killed easily so it's a big deal yet others will also argue that it's not a big deal and shovefights where you table someone or shovespam them into a wall is just goofin. genuine question: which is it? on mrp shove fights happen all the time and often don't escalate beyond that.
When people say a stun is a kill they mostly mean stun batons i think, and thats partly because a stun baton gives you a lot of leeway with reapplication

In my experience a tableslam is a quick way to fast escalation since it can be chained and cause serious injuries, but shoving into walls and whatnot isnt since it doesnt incapacitate you as long or leave you as vulnerable, and its harder to pull off anyways- if someone was serious about killing you theyd probably use some other easier method
► Show Spoiler
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #707671

on the topic of the ban itself
I do not like nrp behavior and i hope admins continue to ban or note for it
but I also do not like notes changing the meat of their entire substance right after an appeal is made
I dont think lowrp is like a shitmin trying to find any reason to ban this guy, i just think they need to be more careful and deliberate a lot more with their ban reasons in the future.... ... .. editing a note in response to an appeal is understandable but this was a very drastic difference
► Show Spoiler
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #707677

dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 am i've heard lrp players say that a "stun is a kill" because you're completely helpless and can get cuffed/killed easily so it's a big deal yet others will also argue that it's not a big deal and shovefights where you table someone or shovespam them into a wall is just goofin. genuine question: which is it? on mrp shove fights happen all the time and often don't escalate beyond that.

“stun is a kill” applies generally when someone wins a fight with a stun weapon, but tabling and wall shoving arent as big deals because unless they are part of the minority that can pull off the shovestuncuff (or crowbar a firelock on you), you are probably just being hassled
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #707678

What is this

Code: Select all

[2023-10-10 03:58:13.517] ATTACK: Xlink97/(Jeremy Thompson) attacked Jay-Zero/(Fig Newton) with Gwyn's premium absinthe (NEWHP: 53.4)  (Cargo Bay (171,163,2))
[2023-10-10 03:58:14.972] ATTACK: Xlink97/(Jeremy Thompson) attacked Jay-Zero/(Fig Newton) with broken Gwyn's premium absinthe (COMBAT MODE: 1) (DAMTYPE: BRUTE) (NEWHP: 46.6)  (Cargo Bay (170,162,2))
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #707682

I don't get the whole "I am going to randomly shove-spam you" thing.

While you are repeatedly shoving me into a wall, I cannot do my job and you are probably not going to just stop because I tried to walk away, so you are excessively preventing me from doing my job.

Utterly irrelevant anyway because doing so to a random without any reason for it is NRP, but I've just Never Understood It.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #707683

So the issue with shove-fighting is that one of three things happens:

1) Both parties consent to the fight and it's NRP and disruptive because you wouldn't randomly go around shoving some person in the hallway even if we suspend disbelief to a large margin
2) One party doesn't consent and it's a rule 1 issue
3) Both parties consent but the fight spills over into disrupting other peoples' rounds and it turns into a Family Guy Chicken moment which we've banned for in the past because it's stupid

Either way, it's a bad time for someone.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707684

I'd like to point out that the whole "a stun is a kill" thing is something even maintainers recognize as being true. That's why the contractor baton costs 12 TC, despite not being substantially different from a normal telebaton.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #707685

Never thought I'd see the day where Manuelmins would come to lrp to outlaw shove fights. Mrp was a mistake.
Image Image
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #707689

"As a Non-Antag QM, harassed one of their cargo techs into escalating a conflict with them, until said cargo tech called them a slur and gave them an excuse to kill them"

What??? So it's homies fault he got called a slur???? What brainrot logic is this.

So if I start shoving someone and they call me a slur it's my fault and I'm waiting for an excuse???

At least it got changed but

Don't call me slurs and u won't die it's shrimple really...they also make you 1000% valid so the moment he drops it bye bye...

Also, I dunno man...shoving is fine. His chat logs are OK??

Saying laughing out loud is also FULLY allowed.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=34938

Also we're combing through his logs to say he isn't good enough at rp......yikes

Overall this feels like they placed the og ban for the wrong reasons, then dug around a bit, and then changed the note to the right reasons.

This was sometimes controversial but I believe if you're banning people for the wrong reasons then having to giga change it in the ban appeal after digging it shouldn't be a ban/note. Feels like we're playing darts here.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707698

thanks to the bad mfs who clarified for me

i tend to view shovefights as fine, i actually like seeing people have normal shove/fist fights because it's much better than someone being minorly slighted then whipping out the saw that they printed roundstart, it is a much more sane way to have a conflict over things like insults or people fucking with you when you're playing a character who wouldn't stand for that shit. i bop people in the snout when they test my character's patience and i usually get my ass beat for it, but that's my character.

but i also think heads should do better than torment their subordinates for no other reason than "funni" it's lame and annoying. you can very easily change my mind on this by revoking QM's head status... >:)
NSFW:
AnonymousForumUser
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by AnonymousForumUser » #707699

dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 am i've heard lrp players say that a "stun is a kill" because you're completely helpless and can get cuffed/killed easily so it's a big deal yet others will also argue that it's not a big deal and shovefights where you table someone or shovespam them into a wall is just goofin. genuine question: which is it? [...]
Some people have gotten pretty good at shovestunning someone in a way that gives them just enough time to cuff someone. Once you're cuffed you'll be at their mercy unless somebody manages to intervene. When the intent of the other isn't immediately obvious you'll only know if they were just goofing around or not by the time they've already had an opportunity to catch you. The person doing the shoving will already know their own intentions beforehand though.

I doubt that loads of people can reliably pull it off, and maybe there are ways to escape just before it happens. But when it happens it's fast and unexpected, which can make people pretty jumpy about it.
(forum profile distorted to protect privacy)
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707700

kieth4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:42 am "As a Non-Antag QM, harassed one of their cargo techs into escalating a conflict with them, until said cargo tech called them a slur and gave them an excuse to kill them"

What??? So it's homies fault he got called a slur???? What brainrot logic is this.

So if I start shoving someone and they call me a slur it's my fault and I'm waiting for an excuse???

Don't call me slurs and u won't die it's shrimple really...they also make you 1000% valid so the moment he drops it bye bye...

Also we're combing through his logs to say he isn't good enough at rp......yikes

Overall this feels like they placed the og ban for the wrong reasons, then dug around a bit, and then changed the note to the right reasons.

This was sometimes controversial but I believe if you're banning people for the wrong reasons then having to giga change it in the ban appeal after digging it shouldn't be a ban/note. Feels like we're playing darts here.
allow the trialmin fam they need to figure out the process not every call is gonna be a perfectly reasoned W they got the vibes right but they're still learning how to put it into words properly
NSFW:
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #707701

so true dendy I think all trialmins are stupid too
► Show Spoiler
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #707705

dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:23 pm
kieth4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:42 am "As a Non-Antag QM, harassed one of their cargo techs into escalating a conflict with them, until said cargo tech called them a slur and gave them an excuse to kill them"

allow the trialmin fam they need to figure out the process not every call is gonna be a perfectly reasoned W they got the vibes right but they're still learning how to put it into words properly
I get you but this is a peanut and this is my god given right to call out behaviour I view as undesirable. You can chit chat in bus or w/e but all I have are these peanuts
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #707706

Striders13 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:14 pm so true dendy I think all trialmins are stupid too
i can't believe *puts words in dendy's mouth* that dendy called every trialmin a slur. we should deadmin her she's out of control...
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #707707

I think players should be required to play on a different server every 12 hours so they don't get used to a sedentary style
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #707709

kieth4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:56 pm
dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:23 pm
kieth4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:42 am snip
shut up trialmin
No one is denying that right you dork.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #707710

A thing I noticed is that while Fig didn't immediately escalate to lethals over it, Jeremy did in fact brain him with a bottle of wine and then stabbed him with the broken bottle.

It's easily missed, but at that point, Fig had the right to escalate to lethals because Jeremy had now actually harmed him, he just apparently didn't until more shoving happened.

Code: Select all

[2023-10-10 03:58:13.517] ATTACK: Xlink97/(Jeremy Thompson) attacked Jay-Zero/(Fig Newton) with Gwyn's premium absinthe (NEWHP: 53.4)  (Cargo Bay (171,163,2))
[2023-10-10 03:58:14.972] ATTACK: Xlink97/(Jeremy Thompson) attacked Jay-Zero/(Fig Newton) with broken Gwyn's premium absinthe (COMBAT MODE: 1) (DAMTYPE: BRUTE) (NEWHP: 46.6)  (Cargo Bay (170,162,2))
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707713

a head of staff is there to direct his department and to set an example for them-- this applies to lrp just as much as mrp

if you can't handle not being a shitter, you shouldnt be a head of staff

those say logs lmao holy shit
Epoc
Byond Username: Epoc

Post by Epoc » #707715

threatening rule 1 ban for shoving on sybil lmao

is this what it's come to?

edit: just saw the other note this dude gave for "bad escalation"

lmao
Last edited by Epoc on Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #707716

1) Both parties consent to the fight and it's NRP and disruptive because you wouldn't randomly go around shoving some person in the hallway even if we suspend disbelief to a large margin
Citation needed
It might be juvenile and silly and stupid but people do in fact randomly hip check/shove/bump into others, and in my own friend group irl we'd randomly jokingly start bumping into each other and escalate to light punches for gits and shiggles
Besides that, ss13 is a cartoon world with zany logic. death and violence are cheap, and frankly it ruins my suspension of disbelief more when death or maimings are treated as more serious than they really are.
IN THIS INSTANCE it was very nrp. in a lot of instances besides this one too. But I think its a mistake to equate a lack of realism to a lack of roleplay inherently. The game loses a lot of charm that way.
3) Both parties consent but the fight spills over into disrupting other peoples' rounds and it turns into a Family Guy Chicken moment which we've banned for in the past because it's stupid
Wasnt that ban because it became excessive and happened nearly every other round, on top of other issues with the player in question? I might be remembering wrong
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #707720

Players that use our servers to battle royale their friends every shift and players that get into FNR fights with their buddies that spill over into other departments/impact other players are two completely overlapping circles on the Venn Diagram of Shittery.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #707725

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm Players that use our servers to battle royale their friends every shift and players that get into FNR fights with their buddies that spill over into other departments/impact other players are two completely overlapping circles on the Venn Diagram of Shittery.
Good thing that isn't what happened here.
Image Image
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #707731

I'm sorry, I was commenting on Cyan's reference to Vekter's third point.

I understand how confusing it may have been to finish reading Cyan's last sentence referencing family guy chicken fights and immediately see my comment also mentioning that very same concept but without quoting it in a 3-deep comment chain. But don't worry, I asked around and have received assurances it's a reader skill issue.

I hope that with this additional context, you can rest better at night.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #707733

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm Players that use our servers to battle royale their friends every shift and players that get into FNR fights with their buddies that spill over into other departments/impact other players are two completely overlapping circles on the Venn Diagram of Shittery.
We have absolutely no disagreement on this point
► Show Spoiler
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #707738

If the impact from a shove is strong enough to stun you or make you unable to get back up and stand for several seconds how does it not batter and bruise you.

Imagine how much tiding would get curbed if some silly coder made it so shoves did damage so admins could bonk people for stunning eachother....

Like what happened to reider when he used a firelock to stun someone but then an admin went "akchually you did damage" and punished him.

But at the end of the day, do we even wanna go in that direction.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #707759

shove stuns are just something i threw in at the last minute to appease nervere when removing slip stuns.
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #707760

extremely cringe that the banning admin is retroactively witchhunting this guy's say logs from months ago to justify his flimsy ban
dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:23 pm allow the trialmin fam they need to figure out the process not every call is gonna be a perfectly reasoned W they got the vibes right but they're still learning how to put it into words properly
it's the admin team's job to train trialmins, not the players
help
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #707766

Pepper wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:14 am extremely cringe that the banning admin is retroactively witchhunting this guy's say logs from months ago to justify his flimsy ban
dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:23 pm allow the trialmin fam they need to figure out the process not every call is gonna be a perfectly reasoned W they got the vibes right but they're still learning how to put it into words properly
actually-
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707775

Pepper wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:14 am
i think it's a mistake to have this attitude cus player feedback is extremely important when you're learning these things, admins are adminpilled and have a very different way of looking at things so getting advice from them is only one side of the story, it's important to remember how players think and what player expectations are and we need them to be able to communicate these things for us to learn from them

kieth was always very understanding and player focused as a headmin so his input in this regard was always invaluable, now that the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower has one less very loud player voice in it every day those discussions can end up very different, i was trying to squeeze it out of him again
NSFW:
lorwp
Byond Username: Lorwp

Post by lorwp » #707776

This is valid. i should've been more final with my reasoning when the ban was made, versus this which just wasted everyone's time needlessly and frustrated us both. Ironically for a NRP ban, my written reasoning was atrocious.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #707796

lorwp wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:05 am

This is valid. i should've been more final with my reasoning when the ban was made, versus this which just wasted everyone's time needlessly and frustrated us both. Ironically for a NRP ban, my written reasoning was atrocious.

In these kind of situations I kind of tried to look at what rules were actually broken and wok my way back during the investigation. Makes it way less frustrating for everyone when you straight up go you broke rule x this is why