tg ruleset civil war peanut(?) thread (gone wrong)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

tg ruleset civil war peanut(?) thread (gone wrong)

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627287

Ruleset threads:
Raise the standards of the LRP servers to that of the MRP servers - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30784
Mend the Community Fracture by Establishing a Middleground Ruleset for all Servers - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30789
Bring back the old rule 3 - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30835

Ruleset wars seem to be in full swing now that MSO has opined in

Shitpost here properly

My personal thoughts are outlined in my 2nd thread, as well as in posts in the other threads
However I do feel bad for the headmins. They had such a good untarnished run this season honestly, and now they've got like a full-blown revolt on their hands near the very end

Personal note to Rave: I know I seemed dissatisfied with the state of Manuel but I promise this wasn't pure opportunism after I felt like I couldn't influence it in the direction I wanted. My concerns had been lingering in my mind for a long time, and when I saw Adam Klein make their thread, I knew it was now or never, so I had to make my own thread to try and influence the developments on this topic. Wasn't meant to be anything personal or Machiavellian in nature.
► Show Spoiler
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Re: tg ruleset civil war peanut(?) thread (gone wrong)

Post by The Wrench » #627288

I unintentionally set all of /TG/ on fire with what supposed to be a funny silly semi serious thread. A policy that I thought would be good to fix issues I saw with the game, and make terry players assmad for a day, and that nothing would come from it. I wasn’t expecting things to go to making actual progress.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627290

I’m impressed
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627291

Attachments
828A15D9-7529-4EA3-AD17-D6CE206AB908.jpeg

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #627292

Bawhoppennn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 am Personal note to Rave: I know I seemed dissatisfied with the state of Manuel but I promise this wasn't pure opportunism after I felt like I couldn't influence it in the direction I wanted. My concerns had been lingering in my mind for a long time, and when I saw Adam Klein make their thread, I knew it was now or never, so I had to make my own thread to try and influence the developments on this topic. Wasn't meant to be anything personal or Machiavellian in nature.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627293

RaveRadbury wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:30 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 am Personal note to Rave: I know I seemed dissatisfied with the state of Manuel but I promise this wasn't pure opportunism after I felt like I couldn't influence it in the direction I wanted. My concerns had been lingering in my mind for a long time, and when I saw Adam Klein make their thread, I knew it was now or never, so I had to make my own thread to try and influence the developments on this topic. Wasn't meant to be anything personal or Machiavellian in nature.
Believe me that's the real reason I wanted to make this thread. I apologize fully if I seemed rude or like an ass to you. Hope it didn't come across that way too bad
You're a fantastic headmin, and a fantastic person. please keep up the good work in the server, and in life generally also

Adam Klein wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:26 am I unintentionally set all of /TG/ on fire with what supposed to be a funny silly semi serious thread. A policy that I thought would be good to fix issues I saw with the game, and make terry players assmad for a day, and that nothing would come from it. I wasn’t expecting things to go to making actual progress.
You are following in tgstation tradition of how to properly effect change, good work
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #627297

Terry players deserve to be mad
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #627305

reactionary, boomer, status quo ante, bald, wrinkle, osteoporosis, forgor💀, erectile dysfunction, etc.
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627334

Always informative as ever Rohen_Tahir

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #627339

Adam Klein wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm Always informative as ever Rohen_Tahir
Your skeleton is wet.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #627344

Im okay with having to bar rp if admins spawn in meteors in the middle of it. That's actually pretty fun.

I just don't want.....rounds to get stale.

Currently on LRP, the entire station will be gone because an antag cuban pete'd it before you reach the end of your jobs content.

I dunno, it's like this game has a defined end of the water-well. And after reaching it the first couple of times, seeing it again just makes you reflect on your life. Like "Why am I still digging this well, this wasn't as fun as the first couple of times."

So admins please use meteors and blow up the bar thank you.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #627360

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:28 pm Im okay with having to bar rp if admins spawn in meteors in the middle of it. That's actually pretty fun.

Currently on LRP, the entire station will be gone because an antag cuban pete'd it before you reach the end of your jobs content.

I dunno, it's like this game has a defined end of the water-well. And after reaching it the first couple of times, seeing it again just makes you reflect on your life. Like "Why am I still digging this well, this wasn't as fun as the first couple of times."

I promise you, rounds did not get boring from lack of activity back when this was a thing
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #627367

Pandarsenic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:59 pm
I promise you, rounds did not get boring from lack of activity back when this was a thing
Then let the epicness begin.
► Show Spoiler
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627390

I think it'll be really good ok

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #627465

Bawhoppennn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 am
► Show Spoiler
I haven't even read much of the other threads, and they weren't even a bases for me making my thread.

I found the old copy of the rules randomly and remembered wanting to look into where the things covered by rule 3 ended up in the current rules, from the last time i had found the old copy of the rules.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627501

MrStonedOne wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:14 am
Bawhoppennn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 am
► Show Spoiler
I haven't even read much of the other threads, and they weren't even a bases for me making my thread.

I found the old copy of the rules randomly and remembered wanting to look into where the things covered by rule 3 ended up in the current rules, from the last time i had found the old copy of the rules.
Hah, right well... good timing either way

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #627570

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:28 pm Im okay with having to bar rp if admins spawn in meteors in the middle of it. That's actually pretty fun.

There are a finite number of ways to interact with each other using the games mechanics, and an infinite number of ways to interact with each other through roleplay.

I'd argue the roleplay layer is what gives the game real, healthy longevity
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627587

Stickymayhem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:27 pm There are a finite number of ways to interact with each other using the games mechanics, and an infinite number of ways to interact with each other through roleplay.
Can we all agree that anyone who uses the me verb outside of mines are cringe. I wanna be able to do actual flips like the cool person I am.

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627631

Adam Klein wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 pm
Stickymayhem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:27 pm There are a finite number of ways to interact with each other using the games mechanics, and an infinite number of ways to interact with each other through roleplay.
Can we all agree that anyone who uses the me verb outside of mines are cringe. I wanna be able to do actual flips like the cool person I am.
I don't know what mines means in this context... do a lot of shaft miners do *me commands often?

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #627632

Oh Adam meant mimes

YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #627653

Uh oh
no more powergame?
Uh oh
no more siphon fun from game?
Gonna cry?
Maybe shit and ahelp?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #627655

i'm confused, the exact reason we have a MRP server is to let the higher RP community members have their cake and be able to eat it without being lightsabered on bagil or sybil

i see no reason why the ruleset would be merged for all the servers

terry crying is priceless though
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #627678

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:49 am i'm confused, the exact reason we have a MRP server is to let the higher RP community members have their cake and be able to eat it without being lightsabered on bagil or sybil

i see no reason why the ruleset would be merged for all the servers

terry crying is priceless though
Because LRP isn't NRP. This rule is just "hey, you should at least put a little effort into roleplaying instead of just min-maxxing the mechanics before you even know there's a threat just to 'win' a game about roleplay". That's not exactly MRP Standards, it's kinda the bare minimum.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #627682

then have admins enforce fucking light role play more
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #627691

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:00 pm then have admins enforce fucking light role play more
Rule 3 is supposed to be a caveat that makes LRP more enforceable. Right now, no one even thinks of it unless they're on Manuels altered ruleset.
I was just reading somahs peanut thread where we have drawn maps and powergame routes along with chatlogs where someone knew someone wasn't who they were supposed to be because they actually typed in complete sentences.

Everyone should have to put in the bare minimum.
Anyone who "doesn't feel like it" can get the fuck out.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #627692

yeah i mean on the whole it's fine to have it come back, the problem is making clear defined lines as in "whats being an asshole" or "what can people take that isn't powergaming"

the rule adds a lot more arguments in ahelps than it solves, I think

as i typically only roll captain, the whole change of the rules doesn't exactly affect me at all. I either play captain and have access to all the toys I want, or I play an assistant, grab a crowbar, chill at the bar and hope for the best.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #627706

Adam Klein wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 pm
anything under 5 words is usually alright
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #627787

*FLAPS HIS WINGS*
*ANGRILY!!*
*ANGRILY!!*
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #627810

The *aflap and its consequences have been an absolute win for the human race
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #628002

Flap and aflap were there when I started playing. They predate wings. One day we'll learn who added them and why. I'd find out myself if they were adding during /tg/station's lifetime but I'm too lazy.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #628005

They were for chickens, they're literally r4407 lol
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #628014

I would use TortoiseSVN to check out old revisions from the Google Code project to see what they were like but obviously the earliest one was after the GoonStation one they forked from. I remember when we added the plaque celebrating our own r4407. Where are you seeing the GoonStation revisions, anyway? The GoonStation changelog for 2010 on the wiki doesn't have revision numbers.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #628021

Hmm that sounds like an interesting thing to investigate.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #628072

Because I remember looking into this exact thing and cross referencing my original leak copy, I think
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #628078

I'd argue the roleplay layer is what gives the game real, healthy longevity
I agree, the most enjoyable rounds aren't the ones where you go mass murderer/own all the antags, the really great rounds are the ones where some little RP situation develops, and people play along with it and get invested and have a fun time.

That's pretty rare on LRP. The issue is that in order to make the environment more conducive to these type of rounds, you need to sedate it a bit - you need to slow it down, restrict people's freedom a bit, so it's not the wild-west and these scenarios can develop. But then we trade freedom for them, and not everyone is willing to make that trade. I'm not sure there's a great way to have both, aside from something like admin events (you'd be amazed how much mileage players get off of some random item with a funny sound effect being spawned in).
Spoiler:
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #628110

iamgoofball wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:14 pm
Flatulent wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:44 am To capture antags
have you considered playing Security?
other assistant gimmick that involves player involvement
Cablecuffs are not a consensual thing, therefore, rule 1
Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules
being cuffed by a non-antag as a non-antag for stupid shit is, in fact, generally a serious negative impact on one's round
Flatulent wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:44 amgrab monkey on chair to kill colossus
exploit abuse :^)
Flatulent wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:44 ammake spears to break sec lockers
violation of rule 1, stealing all of sec's equipment is negatively impacting their round with no IC justification, remember that /tg/ is LRP, not NRP
Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules
all of your gear being stolen by assistants for no IC reason beyond the OOC reason of validhunting(because antag isnt an IC concept, its an OOC one) seriously negatively impacts the round of the security officer

Man I hate having to agree with Goofball. His takes are normally so braindead it's unfunny but he hit the nail on the head.