Ass Slapping Pull Request and it's consequences - codenut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Ass Slapping Pull Request and it's consequences - codenut

Post by san7890 » #644044

Yes, I know it was closed within the minute it was opened. However, someone's eventually going to lock the pull request to collaborators only, so let's get the discussion started here.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/67747
Last edited by san7890 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Ass Slapping Pull Request

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644045

They made an entire the amazing world of gumball episode about this
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644048

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 am They made an entire the amazing world of gumball episode about this
never going to forget the day i called owen kimple mean words and he chased me into brig to pull on my tail
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644049

What is a tail for, if not to yank?

My favorite video game rips remix channel has something to say for this topic.

kind of
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Re: Ass Slapping Pull Request and it's consequences - codenut

Post by san7890 » #644052

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/67749 is now going to remove tail pulling's positive moodlet.

You mention this exact thing and someone jumps on it. It's very unlikely that they read this forum post and my conversation above, but this leads into a bigger thing I want to point out: I yell at people to shut up about le epic cool game interactions brought around by the nature of this game being a chiefly sandbox one (and framing it as a negative thing) in case someone takes it to mean that there's a "problem" with the game and then fix it.

With that said, I support this change. Cats in real life don't particularly like you tugging on their tail and I don't want to particuarly think about how a real cat may feel about this.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644054

san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:29 am With that said, I support this change. Cats in real life don't particularly like you tugging on their tail and I don't want to particuarly think about how a real cat may feel about this.
By far the biggest objection I had to it
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644056

san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:29 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/67749 is now going to remove tail pulling's positive moodlet.

You mention this exact thing and someone jumps on it. It's very unlikely that they read this forum post and my conversation above, but this leads into a bigger thing I want to point out: I yell at people to shut up about le epic cool game interactions brought around by the nature of this game being a chiefly sandbox one (and framing it as a negative thing) in case someone takes it to mean that there's a "problem" with the game and then fix it.

With that said, I support this change. Cats in real life don't particularly like you tugging on their tail and I don't want to particuarly think about how a real cat may feel about this.
Aaaaaaand, after a bit of maintainer fuckery, it's closed by oranges.

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644057

oranges defending cat-girls

Do they have a soft-spot for them after all?

Or is it because negatively hamming down on them will cause a rift in the playerbase that might forever scorch /tg/ as we know it?

Felinids are the WMD of /tg/station

(I personally wouldn't mind them becoming a genetics mutation because I like genetics and want it to get more content)
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644058

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:51 am oranges defending cat-girls

Do they have a soft-spot for them after all?

Or is it because negatively hamming down on them will cause a rift in the playerbase that might forever scorch /tg/ as we know it?

Felinids are the WMD of /tg/station

(I personally wouldn't mind them becoming a genetics mutation because I like genetics and want it to get more content)
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/64841

also ewwww genetics
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644081

one of my cats likes when i pull its tail
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644082

Man, why can't we just have humans with cat ears. Why's it a race.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644083

Remove felinids, add a quirk that starts you with the kitty ears item

Tag it as a fix
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #644090

Khajits don't deserve Asimov protection
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #644101

Why y'all trying to bully felinids so much. You never see lightbulbs or funny purple skeletons get this much hate smh
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #644114

he's just doing this to appease the skyrat cloud
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644146

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 am Why y'all trying to bully felinids so much. You never see lightbulbs or funny purple skeletons get this much hate smh
On fire purple skeleton man cool. Human + quirky because cat ears uncool
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #644158

I pulled my cat's tail due to the tail pulling PR, and they let a horrid shriek.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #644173

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 am Why y'all trying to bully felinids so much. You never see lightbulbs or funny purple skeletons get this much hate smh
Felinids are just humans with cat ears unlike other races having meaningful visual and mechanical distinctions.

They're redundant, easily disguised as humans and extremely anime, which is quite a genre shift.

There lore lends itself to no further roleplay which leads to players either acting as just humans or Nekopara maids/monstergirls.

There language is a mixture of cat noises (fine), japanese (stupid) and owo emotes (cringe).

They have a long history of forming metagangs, which while mostly stamped out still hold a legacy over them.

Despite a vote to remove them winning, felinid players whined long and hard enough that they were eventually re-added.

I honestly wish they weren't a race and were instead a genetic mutation, like they are supposed to be in lore. At least then you could cure them with mutadone.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #644176

chocolate_bickie wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:29 pm
Felinids are just humans with cat ears unlike other races having meaningful visual and mechanical distinctions.

They're redundant, easily disguised as humans and extremely anime, which is quite a genre shift.

There lore lends itself to no further roleplay which leads to players either acting as just humans or Nekopara maids/monstergirls.

There language is a mixture of cat noises (fine), japanese (stupid) and owo emotes (cringe).

They have a long history of forming metagangs, which while mostly stamped out still hold a legacy over them.

Despite a vote to remove them winning, felinid players whined long and hard enough that they were eventually re-added.

I honestly wish they weren't a race and were instead a genetic mutation, like they are supposed to be in lore. At least then you could cure them with mutadone.
You know what I got out of this?

"I don't like anime, therefore fuck felinids"

People like you who don't like other people having things they enjoy are the worst.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #644184

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:54 pm
chocolate_bickie wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:29 pm

You know what I got out of this?

"I don't like anime, therefore fuck felinids"

People like you who don't like other people having things they enjoy are the worst.
Okay Meoomer
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #644185

Felinids should get off byond and become America First groypers so they can hang out with fellow catboy afficionado Nick Fuentes and more importantly away from me.
I caught a ban for getting felinids killed as AI and it will happen again it taught me that punishing people for pretending they have cat ears is "griefing" and reminded me to be a better silicon player than the khajits deserve.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644187

This thread is now contributing absolutely nothing of substance so I will lock my own thread.