Remember when (OP thing existed in ss13)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Remember when (OP thing existed in ss13)

Post by Shadowflame909 » #645640

Remember roundstart meteor pens

Remember the space SCP vending machine that could dispense any chemical you wanted in-game. Admin healing, blob chems, mutation toxin you'd name it.

Remember auto-scan cloning? I miss it. You'd die and then you'd come back right after like a literal respawn
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Remember when (OP thing existed in ss13)

Post by Mothblocks » #645643

I used auto-scan cloning with friends so we could hang out more and I don't regret anything
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #645644

IDK why people focus so much on game mechanics that change every couple years

The thing I always miss is culture, which is secular to game mechanics
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #645682

I miss when the slot machine that was the experimentor could spit out so many random items.

It was my first dive into game code to figure out what the actual fuck that thing was doing and how it was useful, because the wiki didn't say nuffin.

The answer was, it doesn't really do much, but you could get a second bag of holding or tank transfer tube pretty easy with it if you had a first one.
XII3912
Byond Username: EMX55

Post by XII3912 » #645728

I miss the old mining katana, it did 40 damage could block attacks except it was stuck to your arm and it inflicted a brain trauma that sent a mob which would slowly approach you and try to crit you
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #645730

XII3912 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:51 pm I miss the old mining katana, it did 40 damage could block attacks except it was stuck to your arm and it inflicted a brain trauma that sent a mob which would slowly approach you and try to crit you
that was around for literally only 2 years. For much longer, it used to just be stuck to your arm and that's it. It was really good except for all the times you need two arms, then it sucked. Which is actually far more often than you'd think. So it just kind of sucked.

I'm gonna throw in the ring xenoling. Holy shit was that wack. Becoming a whole new antag while antag (like tot) is pretty stupid overpowered. It wasn't even depowered, it was just straight up ling for crew.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #645733

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:01 pm IDK why people focus so much on game mechanics that change every couple years

Yeah, I agree on this point.

It seems strange the number of policy threads we've had calling for longstanding game mechanics to be disabled/restricted/changed on Manuel because they're apparently bad for RP, despite the fact that people were able to roleplay using those mechanics for years before a dedicated RP server came along.

It's almost as if lively RP flows from a server culture that encourages it, rather than from a padded cell where things can't hurt you and you can't hurt anyone else.
► Show Spoiler
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #645734

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:01 pm IDK why people focus so much on game mechanics that change every couple years

The real overpowered mechanics I miss are the people I had a lot of fun playing with that have since quit.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #645745

Because it's easy to point at a bad PR and say that it made the game worst. Gas experi-sci is the one I point at.

It's not easy to point at the community and say some indescribable set of rules has changed and that the culture is now different. You can still do it, I still do it, but it's a lot more subjective and murky, and it's very easy for someone to disagree with you because they've had a different experience in the community.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.