"Why is water vapor even a thing?" Or "I failed physics what do"

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

"Why is water vapor even a thing?" Or "I failed physics what do"

Post by dirk_mcblade » #665101

I'm pretty much a dumbass but why is water vapor even a gas for SS13 game mechanics purposes? Yes, steam is a gas. But if you compress steam into a tank at a few thousand kpa doesn't it just become water? And isn't it generally impossible to compress water denser than it's liquid form?
So how do we have a physics system where a filled up water bottle has enough compressed energy to fire a power fist like 30 times? At a minimum I would expect the tank to be at least 100 degrees Celsius to release as steam from a tank and even then it would contain no more mols than liquid water does. Seems doubtful you could power a piston operated weapon very long with a liter of water when the rule of thumb for steam engines is 34 lbs of water per hr per horsepower.
Does any of this make sense at all?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: "Why is water vapor even a thing?" Or "I failed physics what do"

Post by conrad » #665102

dirk_mcblade wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:00 pm So how do we have a physics system where a filled up water bottle has enough compressed energy to fire a power fist like 30 times?
I can shed light into this. The water isn't fuel, it's a catalyst/conveyor. Observe, waterjet cutting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXk76rWYdEs
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #665103

Okay in an open system you can pressurize water enough to cut things but in a closed tank how many times can it make a power fist smash people these are the questions that keep me up at night
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #665104

Water jet cutting videos are also extremely comfy
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #665105

Slips you.
Hugs
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #665108

To answer the threads title water vapor was added back in September 2016 by Goof alongside their forgotten brother freon. It was added to be used by the janitors to clean large areas quickly aswell as putting out fires.
Image Image
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #665116

Water Vapour is also used in a few applications for atmos funny gas! You can make it with a very dirty plasma/o2 burn, and then use it with an electrolyzer to make hydrogen and oxygen! Hydrogen can then make funny things like a few machine upgrades and an axe.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #665118

dunno how atmos works
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #665120

Adding a liquid system is just not worth the additional complexity cost of maintaining it. Water vapour as a gas means it can interact with anything that already interacts with atmospherics, and with atmospherics itself. It can be electrolysed to make hydrogen and oxygen, which you can burn, allowing you to turn the supermatter's zap energy into thermal energy without spending additional plasma. Additionally it can be used to clean the station from self antagging botanists spamming bloody tomatoes, which is interesting.

If anything, I think you should be questioning about the powerfist instead of a commonly used gas for it.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #665121

Adding a liquid system is just not worth the additional complexity cost of maintaining it. Water vapour as a gas means it can interact with anything that already interacts with atmospherics, and with atmospherics itself. It can be electrolysed to make hydrogen and oxygen, which you can burn, allowing you to turn the supermatter's zap energy into thermal energy without spending additional plasma. Additionally it can be used to clean the station from self antagging botanists spamming bloody tomatoes, which is interesting.

If anything, I think you should be questioning about the powerfist instead of a commonly used gas for it.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #665197

disk go in backpack