No running in the halls.

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

No running in the halls.

Post by warbluke » #707717

Here's a PR. I have not formed an opinion on it yet. Have you?
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/78960
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Re: No running in the halls.

Post by cSeal » #707718

playing on other servers for an extended period of time always makes me feel very weird when I come back and start zipping around the station. I always think an admins done something funny at first
I like the idea behind the pr, our baseline IS a bit high, and the only other option is miserably slow
I worry about the nerf to slips though. Maybe rather than make walking through wet tiles less punishing, running through them could send you further and cause some brute if you impact into something? I dont know, maybe not a good idea
► Show Spoiler
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #707719

cSeal wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:49 pm playing on other servers for an extended period of time always makes me feel very weird when I come back and start zipping around the station. I always think an admins done something funny at first
I like the idea behind the pr, our baseline IS a bit high, and the only other option is miserably slow
I worry about the nerf to slips though. Maybe rather than make walking through wet tiles less punishing, running through them could send you further and cause some brute if you impact into something? I dont know, maybe not a good idea
I've always hated TG's default movement speed because you can be from one side of the station to the other in under a minute most of the time. On the other hand, walking is way too slow, and it somehow feels slower than when you're freezing to death.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #707723

I'd be reasonably happy if the default run speed just went down a bit but thats a head admin decision
Last edited by Jacquerel on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707724

kinda hate the idea of stamina management just for moving around, i'd be cool with like a straight 15% run speed reduction
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #707730

I like being able to get around the station fast. Moving slow in ss13 is the worst feeling in the world, and the game is choked full of slowdowns from both active and passive sources.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #707734

I also do wish the run speed on TG was slower, having a dedicated way to "sprint" while spending stamina is also fine, me thinks. Many games do it and it's not necessarily troublesome
- Brazilian Manuel Player

Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #707737

I dont like this, I dont really want to have to manage something else in combat and I think the current run speed is fine
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #707740

-Are you ok? Why are you walking?

-Uh, why are you running?

I've played a couple of rounds on tgmc and don't think the whole stamina system is compatible with how things work and are paced in tg. As some have mentioned in the PR, it would most likely devolve into a nasty meta of intent quick-switching, mostly buff security, while making a simple toggle system be more complicated than it should be. Overall an annoyance more than anything (suddenly and automatically switching back to walking feels extremely weird and clunky, no matter the reason for it. Play some rounds with nyctophobia and no flashlight to see what I mean).

That being said, maybe the running speed % could be adjusted to be a little slower (procedurally of course), while the walking speed increases alongside it, to be appealing in more than just some specific use cases.
cSeal wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:49 pm Maybe rather than make walking through wet tiles less punishing, running through them could send you further and cause some brute if you impact into something? I dont know, maybe not a good idea
Unironically I like this. Instead of messing with the speed at all, introducing a new intent or drain stam, you could make it more punishing if you're strolling with abandon and slip against a wall or something. I think the cursed quirk makes it so there's a chance to get wounded whenever you slip, so it's also a way to test how this would feel like.

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #707756

i hate sprint buttons in games. it’s one of my pet peeves. i think run speed should be brought down a tick but pleaaaase no stamina system
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707850

id be interested in seeing how it plays out
flopp
Byond Username: FIoppie

Post by flopp » #707857

PR author here. I actually just figured out that I needed to connect my byond account here like a goober.

I'm basically going to relay what I said on the PR here; I did close my PR for now.

I think my approach to this was poorly planned and not well thought out. After talking to so many people about their concerns and such, I came to realize that PR was so, so out of my scope. I don't have the experience nor the knowhow (I've only gotten 1 silly moth pr merged before this) to actually go through with something like that. It mostly resulted from encouragement on the discord to give goon sprint a shot, and I thought, well, why not?

The original PR idea was to just simply introduce sneak, walk, and run. Walking would be slightly slower the running, and be not that functionally different and mostly there for RP and flavor. I was going to do a second PR that was just specifically the original PR idea, but now I'm questioning if such a PR even has a place on tg. I'm a Manuel player, I roleplay a lot, but I realize that's not a majority of the tg codebase.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707866

Honestly I wouldn't mind this idea nearly as much if the advanced jetpacks (the captain's jetpack and the nukie jetpacks, and any others I'm not aware of that allow you to fly faster than you could run) also got nerfed. They're already overwhelming strong, and nerfing normal running while leaving jetpacks untouched would make it worse.
flopp
Byond Username: FIoppie

Post by flopp » #707868

It's primarily things like that that I just wasn't aware of much less capable of balancing.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #707869

GPeckman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:42 pm Honestly I wouldn't mind this idea nearly as much if the advanced jetpacks (the captain's jetpack and the nukie jetpacks, and any others I'm not aware of that allow you to fly faster than you could run) also got nerfed. They're already overwhelming strong, and nerfing normal running while leaving jetpacks untouched would make it worse.
Just remove the jetpack speed boost entirely. It's cancerous and makes space combat terrible because both sides are zooming around at the speed of light.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #707984

I would say its dumb to run everywhere because nobody does that in real life but ive unironically started running everywhere and it makes life much more enjoyable. it probably will become a social norm in the future.