Shredding Security Policy

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Shredding Security Policy

Post by Stickymayhem » #105819

Bottom post of the previous page:

So one of the most interesting things we learned from the Low Rules rounds was that even with the station in total chaos, security is infinitely more fun with lower restrictions. Much lower restrictions.

I'm tempted to replace all of security policy with a simple rule about sticking together and having your partners backs, and consequently removing some anti-greytiding rules to even things out a bit. Far more effective than OOC punishment is immediate and harsh IC punishment. When you table a cop and try to take his shit then get immediately kicked to death by his three buddies it tends to be a better disincentive than finding out you're going to be banned for a day at the end of the round.

This is controversial as fuck I'm sure, and I don't think we can go as drastic as removing it entirely, but I wouldn't mind security basically being a strong group of thugs led by the HoS who can kind of choose how his department will be that day. You can do brutal crackdowns until the station revolts, or be as nicecurity as you want.

I really liked the greytide and security testing each other to kind of see how the round would be. Security would make big shows of force to show damn well that greytiding would get you a hiding and then chill out having established their authority, or tiders would poke at the brig to see how competent they were that round and punish them if they weren't.

Security was packed on every round like this and I think it would be again if this was implement.

So discuss what absolutely essential components of the policy we need to hold on to and problems that will probably come up.

This is just a discussion for now.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Re: Shredding Security Policy

Post by Falamazeer » #107080

Incomptinence wrote:It takes more than one interaction to determine someone as a greytider. They are typified by their single minded determination in causing trouble, a normal man will wait out a short sentence a tider will try and destroy the cell as much as they can to screw with you.

I say more than one interaction but it is usually one arrest, the secondary interactions can be observed once they are cuffed and are pretty rote.
I disagree with that bit about fucking around in the cell, I enjoy jittering around, frothing at the mouth and trying to smash lights ineffectively with a jumpsuit to screw with officers, It's harmless dicking around, I typically play security, and I know where the line is drawn, and if you wanna try to draw it at fucking about then you're probably a bit too thin skinned anyways. Smashing your way out and leaving a big hole on the other hand, over a two minute sentence, you got a good point.

Knocking constantly to badger people is also kinda funny, just don't use the justified sec reaction to justify being a further douchebag unless it's gonna be along the same vein of heckling, littering, and cursing.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #107091

Knocking constantly to badger people can clog up their attack log, possibly crashing their game. Don't do it.

(It seriously can, especially if everyone's talking at the same time. Don't be surprised if you're flashed blind because of it.)
Last edited by TheNightingale on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #107093

"Knocking can crash someone's game"

I know we limit certain aspects of the game for people playing on connections one step above dial-up, but what the fuck do you mean

How can someone clicking with a delay crash someone else's game
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #107096

I have sympathy for those who we keep midi limits for, but surely you jest that I should not knock freely.
At that point you're literately playing on two cups some string and a scientific calculator.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #107106

I think we've hit a point where we really need to get with the times and stop supporting the DOS players with IBM green phosphorous screens
NicholasRage
Byond Username: Nicholas Rage

Post by NicholasRage » #107212

Personally, I'm not a fan of this idea. I play sec quite a bit, and I've never got the impression that I'm on the noose or that, if I make one small mistake, I'm going to get banned. I've been bwoinked a couple of time for some things, but a bit of clarification and everything worked out fine. I have noticed, however, that a there are a handful of players who play sec just because they have permission to use guns and make other players miserable. What rules we have are enough to keep them mostly in line, but with no rules you're going to end up with a lot more of them going above and beyond the amount of aggression that's necessary just because they can.

The couple of rounds I played with security on low rules didn't impress me, though it's been long enough that I can't really remember why.
I'm Paul Wolfman and Guy Hotbod.

I'm an angry guy.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #107315

iamgoofball wrote:I think we've hit a point where we really need to get with the times and stop supporting the DOS players with IBM green phosphorous screens
I have a £400 touchscreen laptop new this spring, and it still crashes whenever I send/recieve an adminhelp more than 3 lines long (seriously)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #107323

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:I think we've hit a point where we really need to get with the times and stop supporting the DOS players with IBM green phosphorous screens
I have a £400 touchscreen laptop new this spring, and it still crashes whenever I send/recieve an adminhelp more than 3 lines long (seriously)
some things are probably just byond issues we cant fix
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #107340

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
I never had that sort of issue with my old laptops.

Although It did somehow occasionally "teleport" me in mechs to centcom but I have no fucking idea how and it was never worked out to my knowledge.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #107358

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
My girlfriend's laptop (also with a touchscreen, also very new and capable of running real games) crashes on sending/receiving adminhelps, it's bizarre. Likely a BYOND issue like goofball said.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #107483

Brb buying Byond and hiring a QA team, fund my patreon.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #107508

Incomptinence wrote:Although It did somehow occasionally "teleport" me in mechs to centcom but I have no fucking idea how and it was never worked out to my knowledge.
That was fixed, iirc. We found out mechs were able to move along the z-axis.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #107525

Well at least it was fixed I suppose I liked it when it was a mystery though.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #107548

Yup, can't click to send adminhelp replies without byond crashing two out of three times. Exacerbated if I'm not in a very quiet area (so no text moving up the screen).
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #107555

I think that's a byond thing.

Specifically it didn't happen on my Win7 laptop what's like three years old but it does happen on my much newer and more powerful Win8 desktop machine.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #107559

I think links in BYOND are handled with internet explorer for some reason. Try updating it maybe
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #107560

Or downgrading it
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #107561

That might explain it. It also explains why a lot of noise/text appearing at once lags me the fuck out, especially if I've got some text highlighted when it happened.
Pretty much makes playing sec impossible 'cause fights just turn into clientfreeze.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #122480

we already have problems with lack of overseas players to fill in the later hours that would make things worse.