People killing sec for doing their jobs

Malkevin

People killing sec for doing their jobs

Post by Malkevin » #149709

Since I've started playing again I've noticed there's an increase of petty fuckers killing/assaulting sec because they committed a crime and got brigged for it.

As happened to me the other day. Some engineering bitch stole a sec officer's taser when the officer got slipped (instead of doing their actual job of setting up the engine without killing everyone), they got captured and then the detective brought her to the brig where he handed her to me (the HoS) for processing. I gave her five minutes for stealing the weapon, might've added another minute on top for being a cunt.
Bit later I'd gotten converted to a gang but sec arrested me and tied me to a roller chair. Moments later the singularity tears through the brig (as I said, engineers weren't doing their job) but the warden drags me to safety unlike engineer dyke pulls my chair and shoves me into the singularity.

Used to be that sec got protection for doing their job.
I'd like admins to either enforce this better or give us the green light to just space people we know are going to be autists.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: People killing sec for doing their jobs

Post by Shaps-cloud » #149720

Admins can't act on situations that we don't know happened, did you ahelp it? Well, that situation specifically sounds fairly finicky and may not have a smoking gun in the logs for us to go off of unless one of us saw it happen or there was a grab -> throw into the singulo, but people trying to kill security is a pretty quick way to get banned
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #149722

I did in fact ban this guy
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149725

Kor wrote:I did in fact ban this guy
Yeah, I should've mentioned that.

Reason I've posted this thread is because I've seen similar stuff happen to other sec since, who didn't seem aware they could admin help it.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #149858

are you complaining about a guy doing something he was then banned for

what part of this policy would you like discussed
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #149860

I think he's just saying its a rising problem that should be more actively enforced or something.

Honestly it would be nice to have security let space handle their obvious problems, but any time you let one thing like that slide people will always abuse the hell out of it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149866

newfren wrote:are you complaining about a guy doing something he was then banned for

what part of this policy would you like discussed
Mainly because I want to get permission to start spacing shitlers
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #149913

On the one hand giving Sec more leeway to space idiots who keep coming back would at the very least make things less obnoxious for security. But on the other hand the road to hell is paved with good intentions and giving sec such leeway may well see a lot of shit situations occurring where the admins may disagree on the "line" crossed.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #149916

currently all sec has to do is

>follow the same rules other people have
>try to use stun stuff instead of doing ooga booga spear and fire extinguisher police work
>don't be dicks and give really huge brig sentences or steal things like hardsuits

I'd say that's pretty fucking good, the best it's going to get, and far better than anything they used to have under SoS, with all due respect to him.

Yeah we'd all like to pre-emptively space a shitter sometimes but that will never be a sec-only privilege.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149919

Speaking of sec it'd be great if admins started forcing them to have brig times akin to goon, because I can only get tired of getting brigged for 10 minutes for breaking up a fight in the bar so many times before I snap.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #149920

space law will never be official ever

we could just make it so that players can't ahelp brig sentences over 5 instead of 10 minutes.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149921

You mean can ahelp?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #149923

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149933

imblyings wrote:Yeah we'd all like to pre-emptively space a shitter sometimes but that will never be a sec-only privilege.
I never said I wanted it to be a sec only privilege.

If that damned clown keeps wetting your department's floors I don't see why you can't send the useless bastard out to feed the carp.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #149946

when will people learn that security has a near-foolproof anti-shitter containment area in the gulag
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #149947

Because we like to pretend we follow some semblance of sanity and roleplay, with a vestigial but not yet dead sanctity of 2d spessmen life.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149963

imblyings wrote:Because we like to pretend we follow some semblance of sanity and roleplay, with a vestigial but not yet dead sanctity of 2d spessmen life.
Except we don't, life is cheap.

Spessmen will happily charge at a heavily armed nuke op team with nothing but a stack of metal rods and their underwear, safe in the knowledge that if they die in the open they're only five minutes away from a new body.

And some will happily become a wanted murderer, or atleast risk permanent imprisonment for assaulting, stripping and officer then leaving them in a dark tunnel, because they had to spend that equivalent time in the naughty corner...

The "we're an RP server" argument is a load of BS and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't try to blow smoke up my arse.
Majority of people don't RP beyond the bare minimum.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #149964

I don't know where you get this impression that security officers are under constant assault by shitty greytiders and are being regularly stunned and stripped by nonantags in maint, if anyone does that and they get ahelped, the admins will basically always side with the sec officer for it
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #150044

technically speaking, we are a high if not absolute RP server. RP must conform to a canon/setting, we have no canon/context, so what our characters do ingame is all over the place. We're in the strange place of having our characters actions be dictated by the world/code that they live in, which includes the severely underrated miracle that is cloning and being bored on a station that repeats itself forever, so assistants swarming nukeops is pretty believable RP. The only thing that would break RP, OOC in IC, is bannable so it rarely happens.

what you might be thinking of is the interactions between characters, or players, that involve a conscious choice to not involve wordless combat and are usually valued more by players. We may have less of that than we should. Letting players escalate to lethals over the first alleged provocation won't help that.

And I say alleged because only a few days ago, someone escalated to lethal force over something they thought was grief, but in fact was something they'd misinterpreted completely. This was with our current escalation rules so I really don't see /tg/ loosening escalation even further.