[Skorvold] Security micromanagement

UtterNewbie

[Skorvold] Security micromanagement

Post by UtterNewbie » #26620

Bottom post of the previous page:

Due to recent orders from skorvold telling me that I can't setup barricades because it's "powergaming" but dragging around beepsky isn't:

What can HoS / Warden do at round start to secure brig? What is too much and what is "powergaming" and what is "metagaming"?

Can I setup flashers?
Can I setup barricades?
Can I give out eguns to officers?
Can I give out armor to officers?
Can I actually use items in my department?
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Re: [Skorvold] Security micromanagement

Post by Reimoo » #26928

bandit wrote:E-guns don't grief people. People grief people.
I laughed more than I should have
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #27217

Honestly, I really only care when it gets out of hand. Examples of it getting way out of hand include but are not limited to:

Handing out lethal arms at the start of the round to your regular officers.
Using riot gear when you don't have any reason to think there's a riot.
Bucklecuffing and stripping a prisoner for a 90 second sentence.
Taking items of theirs that weren't involved in their crime or would help them escape and refusing to return them when the sentence is up.
Wildly tasering or flashbanging public spaces for no reason, even if it's not 'harmful'.

Although I'll say setting up the flashers at roundstart is also incredibly fucking annoying. It essentially prevents all but the most hardy non-Sec from using the brig for, say, medical attention for prisoners, or legal help, or the janitor, or any repairs you need from the engineering team. I won't ban you for it but man, please just don't.

It's hard to make hard and fast rules in a lot of these situations because a lot of it kind of depends.
RIP
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #27338

I notice the emitter field gen set up from Malk's picture, yeah I know he had that purposefully set up.

However it okay for other departments namely engineering or cargo to help reinforce the brig? I mean it isn't really to their direct benefit and there are lots of points where subterfuge could turn the end result around against security. Intent wise it doesn't seem much different than medical staff applying various buffs to the officers or the science staff providing synthetic enforcers or exotic weapons.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #31904

Steelpoint wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:This should be made a policy discussion then as there appears to be know definitive answer on what is and isn't acceptable.

I'm happy with everything up to tables and rejiggering the armory
Funny thing is a year ago I got my inspiration for the tabeling the brig up from the wiki. There is a guide in the "Guide to Awsome Stuff" in the Security section detailing a bunch of suggestions in fortifying the brig. The one I used was, apparently, made by Malk.

Here's the image directly from the wiki: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/956 ... fbrig2.png

(Note: I've never used the emitter part of that plan, seems like too much work)
Yes, it was made by I.

I've also never done the emitters in a live game, its just there for a demonstration of the a work around to the problem that barriering up that maint section blocks mule bot access.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #32507

I don't use flashers FNR as warden because they're annoying as fuck to people that aren't flash resistant that have reason to be walking around the brig, and they get burnt out fast as fuck because every chucklefuck is guaranteed to not bother walking.

I don't use barricades FNR because blocking maint doors is annoying for people that would have genuine use for said doors, but cant move said barricades, and the warden sitting in his office is the beest defence the armory has anyway. Also someone can emag/destroy a maint barrier without you even seeing it, so I'd rather save it for sealing emagged doors and shit.

I often setup a couple of chairs and a table in the brig, but doing so for the purpose of restricting movement is pretty powergamey, and fucking annoying for normal play.

I would also consider dragging beepsky around FNR powergamey as fuck, EXCEPT when you're lone/almost lone sec, or you're specifically bringing it to deal with a dangerous criminal/situation.

If you're going to give the green light on all the barricades and stuff though, I can make a REAL autism fort, xray turret behind flashers, laser turret in the armory, multiple taser turrets and god awful chokepointing to get in. I did this once. It was hilarious, if somewhat impractical.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #32527

I'd like to see autismfort brigs. With Comm and ID consoles, suit sensors, patrolling beepskies, turrets, all that good stuff.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #32534

I would literally just throw bombs at it or go in from space. Both, even. In fact, I can see a lot of "Challenge Accepted" ringing out in response to autismfort brigs. Would be kind of cool, only a lot of sandbox games in which players try their absolute best and most austistic methods to create impenetrable forts.... can create some ridiculous, painful stuff. Painful even for legitimate authorities.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #32563

I don't know why box warden's office doesn't have a crew monitoring console. Or the medbay front desk for that matter. It's so fucking useful.

When I make autism forts I deliberately ignore space, just because. With a little planning though, you could make shocked grilles, turrets and camera out there.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #32566

I can imagine the words 'powercreep' come up if a Crew Monitoring Console is added to the brig. Though I find it to be a great idea.

I still advocate a 'Armour Camera System' akin to the cameras on cyborgs, allowing the Warden to watch individual Officers in the field.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #32568

Steelpoint wrote:I still advocate a 'Armour Camera System' akin to the cameras on cyborgs, allowing the Warden to watch individual Officers in the field.
That would actually be a lot better than the jury-rigged tracking implants & suit sensors we got now. Maybe sec helmets can function as security cameras?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32572

I think having it tie to Armour would be a better option, since it would allow Officers to wear alternative head gear.

My suggestion would be that the camera is a device attached to body armour, and all Sec Officers/Warden/HoS start with one on by default, and a box of cameras is added to the armoury.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #32585

Meta has both the crew monitoring consoles I've mentioned, and no on complains about that. It literally just means every round I have to go to tech storage to get a board.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32588

I'll toss one in then in my map PR. See how that goes.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #32592

Honestly the policy of no barriers without reason at round start would be a lot more justifiable if we got rid of the automatic code blue thing at round start.
/vg/station Head Admin
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #32650

^ THIS
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #32652

You know auto code blue was implemented exactly to give everyone a reason to gear up, right?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #32654

Malkevin stop proving you're an illiterate fuck
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32659

I thought we were fine to continue to set up barriers at the start. I take barriers akin to setting up the radiation collectors or optimally setting up my collection of viruses.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #32663

paprika wrote:Malkevin stop proving you're an illiterate fuck
I don't think you know what that word means
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32713

mrpain wrote:Honestly the policy of no barriers without reason at round start would be a lot more justifiable if we got rid of the automatic code blue thing at round start.
Code blue still confuses me. IC I'm told "bad shits happenin git E and then OOC I'm told "that means you get to wear a secbelt; put the barriers and flashers back."
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32721

Just because you are told "something bad is happening" doesn't mean you gotta barricade your workspace.

Flashers and barriers are disruptive to people who have a legitimate right to be in the brig. It's like walling off R&D because "others will not let me do my perfect research".
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32723

Actually the closet equilivant would be RnD or Robotics closing the shutters.

It helps keep out the grey shirts, but if someone really wants to get in (tator), they will get in.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #32731

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Just because you are told "something bad is happening" doesn't mean you gotta barricade your workspace.

Flashers and barriers are disruptive to people who have a legitimate right to be in the brig. It's like walling off R&D because "others will not let me do my perfect research".
Anyone that has an actual legitimate reason to be there has flash protection (aside from medics/CMO(but they're rarely needed in brig))

HoP and Captain have shades
Security and detective has SunHUDS/shades
Any engineer/atmos tech worth their salt will have a welding mask

Scientists have no reason to be in the brig
Lawyers are usually dicks, thus their shades are a privilege distributed by the warden
Medics are rarely needed, when they do come its usually to treat/collect the body of traitor skum.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32734

Malkevin wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Just because you are told "something bad is happening" doesn't mean you gotta barricade your workspace.

Anyone that has an actual legitimate reason to be there has flash protection (aside from medics/CMO(but they're rarely needed in brig))

HoP and Captain have shades
Security and detective has SunHUDS/shades
Any engineer/atmos tech worth their salt will have a welding mask

Scientists have no reason to be in the brig
Lawyers are usually dicks, thus their shades are a privilege distributed by the warden
Medics are rarely needed, when they do come its usually to treat/collect the body of traitor skum.
Since your response only focuses on flashers, we'll talk flashers. Generally speaking, these are only placed in locations where it is really needful to prevent unwanted traffic. You don't set one up at the front door because literally every chucklefuck will trip the thing and burn it out. Alternatively, putting one at the opening to the permabrig and the armory (or even the brig control door) serves its purpose and disrupts literally no meaningful and proper brig usage.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32739

Malkevin wrote:Anyone that has an actual legitimate reason to be there has flash protection (aside from medics/CMO(but they're rarely needed in brig))
lawyers (duh)
RD and CMO (defending people from their departments from shitcurity as well as every rev/cult round ever)
borgs (also very common)
prisoners being released

And you don't actually need them unless you fuck up or brig is under siege, in which case be my guest.
cedarbridge wrote:Generally speaking, these are only placed in locations where it is really needful to prevent unwanted traffic. You don't set one up at the front door because literally every chucklefuck will trip the thing and burn it out.
Usually they're only in the front hallway or break room, both of which can be accessed by the jobs above.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32750

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:borgs (also very common)
I was pretty sure that borgs only got flashed if somebody walked next to the flasher while the borg was present. Meaning it was just a fixed location flash as opposed to an obstacle for borgs.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #32763

It is, flashers dont trigger on borgs

They also dont trigger for walking or prone people

Protip: If you're a sec borg and you need to drag someone past a flasher, stun them first.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32843

Lets not forget you can walk past the flashers to not trigger them.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32861

To have a dumb officer trigger it for you.

Brig is a crowded place.

And they don't really do anything useful most of the time.

See, it's just like with dragging people into brig to search them. You can do it at the expense of others. Or you can just be a little fucking careful not to let anyone run around the brig.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32875

Lo6a4evskiy wrote: See, it's just like with dragging people into brig to search them. You can do it at the expense of others. Or
Holy shit this bullshit again. Just stop.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32900

Just git gud.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #32905

Ah so I should stun anyone who comes near me or the guy I am searching making everyone more angry, you are so wise Lo6a4.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32907

First of all, you're putting words in my mouth. Secondly, it's not fucking rocket science.

Oh, right, I forget, everyone seems to attract flood of grey every time they're in outside world.

Finally, it was just a comparison, it was not meant to bring that up again.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #32910

Well I thought about what else you could mean, asking them nicely can work for one but it can't be that. This seasoned sage is telling me to "git gud" so he must be referring to the more difficult to catch uncooperative variety that runs at the mere sight of security.

Ah maybe he means I should have befriended all idle crew on the station and made them stellar friends of security, a legion of super friends if you would. Oh my though that cannot be it as those people are wildly out of my control and any officer could make them even mildly angry or panicked leading them to "save" people from security. Oh and the person being searched being looted could happen oh the poor dear.

Perhaps he means the malcontents knowing how to pull have become good themselves? Why the ctrl click pull command or right click menu drop down are subtle almost behind the scenes facets of the game it would take a beginner a while to learn them. Oh but the officer has mastered pulling AND using items perhaps he is more good in this case hmmm.

No I think interpreting it as a call to robust anyone who comes near me or those who I am searching makes the most sense, not like one needs to put words into such a thorough post to make it relevant.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32927

Yeah, you totally cannot avoid bystanders in more places on the station than one or without tazing everyone in five tile radius.

Come on, keep saying that something I do all the time is impossible. It really makes a lot of sense.