Let mafia games finish

TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Let mafia games finish

Post by TheSmallBlue » #655119

MafiaLover69 here.
Mafia games barely happen mid-round. No one signs up. However, in the case that an admin ends up extending the end of the round for whatever reason, players are more keen on playing mafia. Which sucks because eventually admins are done resolving tickets and start the next round, practically ending the mafia game outright. The only time players are able to play mafia, it's cut short.

So, my suggestion is, it should be at most policy and at least encouraged, that admins hold off on starting the next round until the mafia games are over.

By cutting the mafia game practically in half, you
* Ruin the game for the people playing
* Ruin the game for the people watching
* Ruin the only chance players have of playing mafia

You already made them wait by extending the round end, at least let them end the round. Mafia games aren't even that long.
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
TheSmallBlue

Re: Let mafia games finish

Post by TheSmallBlue » #655120

The same could be applied to CTF but CTF could die in a hole for all I care so I won't comment on it.
Comm from
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #655123

Only 12 people can play mafia at a time. For the typical TG station population, that would leave around 48 players with nothing to do.
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #655124

If we're talking before admins are done with their tickets, they'll have to wait either way. They could start a CTF game. If we're talking after, then the mafia game is already almost over. It's worth waiting just a little bit longer.
Comm from
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #655164

BlueMemesauce hit the nail on the head, its much better to interrupt Mafia for 12 people then to stall a round for 10 or so minutes more for everyone else. Mafia more commonly occurs during delayed rounds because nearly everyone is dead and there's no being revived so its just something to kill time until the round restarts, a lot of people who sign up for mafia would probably prefer to be playing another round instead, if this wasn't the case we'd see more attempts of players observing round start to play round start mafia, but I can't say I've ever seen that.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #655165

It's the admins job to control the flow of the round
You should let them control the flow of the round
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #655166

1. Why would this apply to Mafia but not CTF?

2. This is SS13. Mafia/CTF/etc are sidegames. SS13 is the MAIN game and content.

3. If you are looking for mafia gameplay, why not look into the of the countless web based Mafia, Werewolf, (insert social deduction game here), to get a full game of that on?
Like this one: https://netgames.io/games/onu-werewolf/
Hugs
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #655196

NamelessFairy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:52 pm its much better to interrupt Mafia for 12 people then to stall a round for 10 or so minutes more for everyone else.
It wouldn't be 10 more minutes. Whenever stall time is over and a mafia game is going on, almost always that mafia game is about to finish. It would probably just be another 5 minutes, which I don't think would bother most people.
Though I will admit that in the case that the mafia round is nowhere near over, I do think it's fair to skip to the next round. But in the cases in which the round is almost over, which is most times, admins should give a little leeway to let those people finish their game.
NamelessFairy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:52 pm a lot of people who sign up for mafia would probably prefer to be playing another round instead, if this wasn't the case we'd see more attempts of players observing round start to play round start mafia, but I can't say I've ever seen that.
People don't sign up to mafia mid-round because there usually aren't enough people to get mafia to even start. When compared to CTF, which needs only 3 people, mafia needs a whopping 12. The only way there can be that many people in the dead lobby is if a massive murder spree just happened (which usually means the round is about to end anyways), or if the round already ended.
Besides, if you singed up for mafia, you probably want to play mafia.
Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:59 pm 1. Why would this apply to Mafia but not CTF?
I didn't say this, on a comment to my post I said
TheSmallBlue wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:26 am The same could be applied to CTF but CTF could die in a hole for all I care so I won't comment on it.
I just don't play CTF so I don't think I'm able to comment on in, but in principle it should totally be applied to CTF as well.
Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:59 pm 2. This is SS13. Mafia/CTF/etc are sidegames. SS13 is the MAIN game and content.
I'm not saying "stop everything and play mafia". There are people playing a mafia game at round-end. It's probably about to finish. Let the mafia game finish.
Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:59 pm 3. If you are looking for mafia gameplay, why not look into the of the countless web based Mafia, Werewolf, (insert social deduction game here), to get a full game of that on?
Like this one: https://netgames.io/games/onu-werewolf/
I don't like to play round-end mafia BECAUSE it's mafia, I like to play it because it's people with which I've interacted throughout the round, inside the same environment, telling the same jokes, doing the same silly characters and emotes.

I sincerely don't think it's that big of a deal to add some extra minutes to the already existing wait time at round ends to let mafia games finish.
Comm from
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #655269

>I sincerely don't think it's that big of a deal to add some extra minutes to the already existing wait time at round ends to let mafia games finish.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to not allow the mafia games to finish so that they can get back to playing ss13.
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #655333

Honestly I think the real issue is that Mafia doesn't really tell people when its being signed up for, if there was like a little text box that said "X has signed up for mafia, click here to join in!" I imagine much more midround mafia round would happen. Though I remember someone said midround mafia was bugged in some regard
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #655842

Mafia is a side-game to Space Station 13, and as with all balance considerations: On-station content takes priority over any off-station content. There is absolutely no reason to delay the main game’s content for a side-game’s content (especially a side game that is replicated in several other formats).
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.