Security needs new rules

ZiggyValencia

Security needs new rules

Post by ZiggyValencia » #83420

Bottom post of the previous page:

I recently started playing Bartender at the suggestion of a friend. I've been enjoying it a lot, but I had never known why he started with a shotgun.

Until I had to kill someone every round without about the first 10 minutes of the game. Every time. Without fail.

One fucker stole the booze o' mat while I was otherwise occupied. He took it into maintenance and defended it to the death.

I could never get it back because, regardless of how many times I requested security, they wouldn't come help. It doesn't matter what the situation is. It could be "Help, that guy is acting like a syndie" all the way to "Help, this guy is literally killing me with a knife oh god" and they just won't come fucking help.

I think it would be really helpful if there was some kind of policy in place for getting sec to help in situations where one cannot just shoot people with the double-barrel. Preferably, putting these new rules on the wiki.

I understand it'll still be players making decisions, but then at least we can go to someone and say that sec isn't doing their job with some source to point to.

Thanks for reading. I hope to be able to drink instead of shoot.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Security needs new rules

Post by Scones » #83935

John, with all due respect, please stop shilling for gunsmithing in threads entirely unrelated to it.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #83939

Scones wrote:John, with all due respect, please stop shilling for gunsmithing in threads entirely unrelated to it.
Good luck stopping that.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #83977

callanrockslol wrote:
Scones wrote:John, with all due respect, please stop shilling for gunsmithing in threads entirely unrelated to it.
Good luck stopping that.
im pretty sure that repeatedly posting unwanted offtopic posts violates the No Spam rule of the forums

so if he keeps it up he might get banned
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Erisian
Byond Username: Erisian

Post by Erisian » #86061

I think security could use a little leeway. I know we had major issues with security in the past with being massive dicks, but come on. They can hardly do shit it seems without either getting flak from the crew or the admins. Take the cuffs off a little and let them breath. And I'm saying this as a guy who mostly plays clown. Far too many times I've been able to mention "the gods guide me to do this!" or something like that and they get fucking nervous and let me go after I do shit they should be arresting me for like having random sleepovers in the warden's office with all access.

It's fucking sad that these guys are so nervous about being banned that they can't even arrest a clown properly half the time without being nervous that they're gonna get bwoinked. Security is in a tough position and I think everyone needs to remember that. It can be hard to talk everything out and get all the facts in a fast/normal paced round half the time. There's so much going on and you need to make quick decisions. Security IS a role and they want to play too like everybody else. They've got to make tough calls on how to best protect the crew, which is a hard job to do when everyone and their mother is on their ass. Do they make mistakes? Yes. Do we get assholes who abuse that power? Yes. But surely we can crack down on the people who abuse the power and stop making the job so unfun and stressful that only powertripping assholes would even want to join up.
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #86535

The only problem with sec is that no ever plays sec. Even when I play it I'm more paranoid of getting a bwoink than the antags because I have no idea if what I'm doing is kosher. And with what seems like a policy of if sec breaks in they are valid like a greytider sec is more like a chore than fun.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86603

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Suggestion: Replace brig cells with one massive brig cells. Warden's office sticks out into it. Arresting officer enters a time, name, and crime on a console, then sticks perp in the Jailbird-O-Matic.
That strips their exosuit, belt slot, backpack slot and pockets, then slaps an over-the-top orange prisoner poncho onto them, puts the jail ID in their hands, and spits them into the pen. When the timer for a prisoner runs out, a speaker shouts the name on their card, and they can then jump into a chute. If they don't have a card due for release, they get spat back in.

Adds cool dynamic play like hard-timers ganging up on low-sentence guffies for their prisoner ID, in-brig interation, and assistants punching beepsky then selling their 1 minute prisoner IDs to people who are in for like 10 minutes.

Its probbably a shitty idea but it sounds hilarious to me.

Oh, and the lawyer is replaced with the Baggage Claim Clerk, who sits in an office outside the brig and takes claims for confiscated items while an endless stream of backpacks flows past.
Traitor clerks give people the wrong stuff, swap it around, and hide mousetrap bombs in the chaplain's holy book.
~
this is an underated post and a really cool idea
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #86639

Tone down the amount of antags considerably. That will help a lot.
/vg/station Head Admin
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #86646

mrpain wrote:Tone down the amount of antags considerably. That will help a lot.
Antags are rarely if ever the biggest of security concerns.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86672

Wyzack wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Suggestion: Replace brig cells with one massive brig cells. Warden's office sticks out into it. Arresting officer enters a time, name, and crime on a console, then sticks perp in the Jailbird-O-Matic.
That strips their exosuit, belt slot, backpack slot and pockets, then slaps an over-the-top orange prisoner poncho onto them, puts the jail ID in their hands, and spits them into the pen. When the timer for a prisoner runs out, a speaker shouts the name on their card, and they can then jump into a chute. If they don't have a card due for release, they get spat back in.

Adds cool dynamic play like hard-timers ganging up on low-sentence guffies for their prisoner ID, in-brig interation, and assistants punching beepsky then selling their 1 minute prisoner IDs to people who are in for like 10 minutes.

Its probbably a shitty idea but it sounds hilarious to me.

Oh, and the lawyer is replaced with the Baggage Claim Clerk, who sits in an office outside the brig and takes claims for confiscated items while an endless stream of backpacks flows past.
Traitor clerks give people the wrong stuff, swap it around, and hide mousetrap bombs in the chaplain's holy book.
~
this is an underated post and a really cool idea
Someone chuck this into the Ideas forum.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86689

That's called the gulag, that doesn't get used because it already works like that
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #86709

Except my idea is like an on-station automated gulag which doesn't suck and is good for more than 1 prisoner per round.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #86713

oranges wrote:Force fill security at roundstart.

the experience will be good for everyone

I said that ages ago. No more Nuke-meta too.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #86784

Kor wrote:If admins did not protect griefers to the point where security is obligated to play catch and release with them this wouldn't be such an issue.

Or if the bartender was allowed to just kill the person ruinong his round for no reason
Maybe it's just luck but I've gotten away with some pretty gnarly shit as warden. I launched a greyshirt out the mass driver several weeks back after he'd been a total shit all round, punching officers, tagging places and acting like a gangster, and being a shit in general. After using the last of the cuffs i had dealing with a dude who had attempted to kidnap an officer and with one minute left until the shuttle arrived he decided to try to blind me with spray paint while I was taking the aforementioned kidnapper to the sec wing of escape. At that point I just snapped and sent his sorry ass flying off to the great unknown. Several admins on and not a single bwoing
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86786

Jacough wrote: Maybe it's just luck but I've gotten away with some pretty gnarly shit as warden. I launched a greyshirt out the mass driver several weeks back after he'd been a total shit all round, punching officers, tagging places and acting like a gangster, and being a shit in general. After using the last of the cuffs i had dealing with a dude who had attempted to kidnap an officer and with one minute left until the shuttle arrived he decided to try to blind me with spray paint while I was taking the aforementioned kidnapper to the sec wing of escape. At that point I just snapped and sent his sorry ass flying off to the great unknown. Several admins on and not a single bwoing
Valid as fuck.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #86791

think how many round start suicides there would be if you force filled security.

It's not about making people play sec, it's making the right kind of player WANT to play security,
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #86814

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Except my idea is like an on-station automated gulag which doesn't suck and is good for more than 1 prisoner per round.

Oh wow, an automated gulag without the many things that suck about the gulag (easy to hull breach, reliance on finicky IDs, long process of taking criminal to gulag and making sure you do it in a way they don't escape) would be so, so useful. Like, properly automated by machines? Even if it was impossible to escape (but had an upper points limit after which you could always leave) it would be a great addition to the game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #86866

You don't need to go onto the shuttle to gulag someone.

You just strip them, orange jump suit them (why does the gulag processing area not have prison jumpsuits?), give them a prisoner ID with a mining quota and dump them on the shuttle. Sen it from there, and dump their crap in the lower room for them to collect when they're out.

The big issues with the gulag is:
1) A prisoner can mine to space accidentally (or intentionally) very easily.
2) Even if they don't mine to space, there's limited air, and every tile you mine is spreading that air thinner.
3) There are no jumpsuits/shoes specifically for gulag people
4) There is no secure way to store prisoner's shit for when they get out.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #87429

Falamazeer wrote:think how many round start suicides there would be if you force filled security.

It's not about making people play sec, it's making the right kind of player WANT to play security,
It's not about forcing people to play sec, but filling the quota.

Right now, for example. 62 players on server. I had both engineer and sec officer job enabled. Guess what, I got put in as Engineer. With 4 other in department. Meanwhile sec had only 2 officers.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Erisian

Post by Erisian » #87440

Lumbermancer wrote:
Falamazeer wrote:think how many round start suicides there would be if you force filled security.

It's not about forcing people to play sec, but filling the quota.

Right now, for example. 62 players on server. I had both engineer and sec officer job enabled. Guess what, I got put in as Engineer. With 4 other in department. Meanwhile sec had only 2 officers.
I think the main issue is that not many people want to even play security anymore. Not even the massive powertrippers seem to be going security anymore and I see them running around as assistants, botanists, etc. It's gotten to the point where playing security is a chore because if you're not being shit on by the crew, you're getting shit on by admins.

As for what happened to you, is there even a way to make it force security first? Because in low pop rounds you may just end up with security full, but nobody to set up the engine, cook, etc. I figured it just went by preferences, selected from the pool of available jobs, and RNG did the rest. Unless you fiddled with preferences every round there may not be much to fix that. Nor is that even a long term solution.
mosquitoman
Byond Username: MosquitoMan

Post by mosquitoman » #87477

what is wrong with some people? do only massive power trippers play shitcurity nowadays? there should be some accountability and possible demotions for abuse of power. just finished playing a round where I got tased, searched, and my shit thrown all over the station because I talked to a guy (blue alert level)

are they supposed to follow any rules ffs?
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87486

I find that hard to believe.

Prove it, make an FNR and we'll get all the facts as they come up, because this sounds like bullshit, Like people who pick your gun up off the ground put it in their backpack and are all like "wwwwwhhhhyyyy" when you finally run them down.
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #87497

i don't really care that strongly to make a separate thread for it, but the situation looked like this:

(i'm playing a librarian)
- round start, i look through the external book archive, searching for interesting books to print out when some miner comes around and asks me if i have seen the mime. i tell him i have not and he's on his way
- some overzealous security guy overheard this, says it's "suspicious" and demands that i submit to a search
- i say no thanks, it's code blue and you have no reason to search me, pal, he keeps demanding to search me (meanwhile a million things he should be paying attention to occur when he's wasting his time on questioning me)
- finally when he doesn't fuck off i get inside my secret librarian room. when I come out he's standing there with some cyborg who opened the door for him, tazes me on sight, takes my shit, searches everything, leaves the door open while dragging me away so numerous assistants storm inside and loot my office

later that round i got tased no less than 6 times total, arrested, and brigged for dragging a corpse of somebody who not only has died but also logged out, the only reason given for this behaviour was that "it's the law" (yeah my ass)
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #87498

Ahelp that shit then. Nothing will be done unless you actively tell us about it.

We're not gonna watch every player 24/7 to make sure they aren't fucking off.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87501

This still sounds like bullshit.
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #87507

Saegrimr wrote:Ahelp that shit then. Nothing will be done unless you actively tell us about it.

We're not gonna watch every player 24/7 to make sure they aren't fucking off.
That's okay, I'm aware of that. And I don't really want to ruin the game for others with unnecessary adminhelping with every little annoyance. This is a part of a larger problem, people playing security often have no idea what they're supposed to detain for and for how long. Reading space law should be mandatory before choosing that job.
Falamazeer wrote:This still sounds like bullshit.
And yet that's exactly what happened.
Erisian

Post by Erisian » #87702

Falamazeer wrote:This still sounds like bullshit.
It is bullshit. I was the HoS and one who found it suspicious. I tased him, pulled him to the little table near his desk, and emptied his pockets, checked the backpack and box inside. Found nothing, uncuffed him and thanked him for cooperating and walked off. Nobody ran in to take his shit, nothing was thrown all over the place, etc. I even put the box back inside his backpack and kept it neat and tidy. Whoever the lawyer was that round also witnessed it because they walked right in, oddly enough, when I asked if he wanted a lawyer. He's just mad because I searched him at code blue and threw a hissyfit.

Edit: I should note I tased him because when the borg opened the doors he started booking ass trying to run off. And that code blue means security can't run around with weapons out. A random miner talking to a librarian IS suspicious as your jobs have nothing in common. Especially when you start getting antsy and even try to run off when I confront you. Stop just making shit up. You act like I stripped you naked, dragging you through the halls, and just had your shit all over the place. Everything was put back neatly before I even uncuffed you.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #87713

Protip: You can search the box without taking it out of the bag by click-n-dragging onto your sprite, the same applies to all containers that lie on your feet too!
Falamazeer wrote:I find that hard to believe.

Prove it, make an FNR and we'll get all the facts as they come up, because this sounds like bullshit, Like people who pick your gun up off the ground put it in their backpack and are all like "wwwwwhhhhyyyy" when you finally run them down.
The other week I had a cargo tech spitting and screaming because I dared arrest him after he snatched my seclite off the floor (I'd stuck it on my taser then remembered they can go on helmets now)
Would've probably smacked him around a bit and told him off and left it at that... but of course he decides to resist and assaults me, his cargo tech friend joins in... I get them both down and cuffed but then the cargo sec officer (Badknees - he's earn a place on my "don't piss on them if they're on fire" list) instead of helping me decides to stun me, drag me out of cargo, leaving my baton there and then start uncuffing them. A miner went through who I followed back in, can't remember exactly what happened but I did manage to settle for the main asshole - who of course bitched on the radio about how badly he was injusticed by shitcurrity when the asshole himself had escalated his crimes to a full 10.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87718

I dragged a guy in who was blood covered and had insulated gloves which were IDd as having raided the armory on suspicion and I got my ass kicked in and stripped cuffed, and treated like a prisoner as he ran off in my name to do god knows what, All the while protesting his innocence on the radio and ahelp. He only got away with it so far because the admins were aflood.
He even was the guy I was after, but I was gonna let him go because I only saw the gun for a second when he was getting looted, as the looter ran off with it. and I wasn't positive I saw what I thought I saw.

Too often the loudest victims are the shittiest people, and yet the server seems to aid the chelpiest of griefers when their target is security.
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #87756

Falamazeer wrote:I dragged a guy in who was blood covered and had insulated gloves which were IDd as having raided the armory on suspicion and I got my ass kicked in and stripped cuffed, and treated like a prisoner as he ran off in my name to do god knows what, All the while protesting his innocence on the radio and ahelp. He only got away with it so far because the admins were aflood.
He even was the guy I was after, but I was gonna let him go because I only saw the gun for a second when he was getting looted, as the looter ran off with it. and I wasn't positive I saw what I thought I saw.

Too often the loudest victims are the shittiest people, and yet the server seems to aid the chelpiest of griefers when their target is security.
poetic justice
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87757

You mean because I ended up the prisoner? No, might doesn't make right, Fuckers are fuckers, no matter how well they dunk someone.
I don't have to be uber-robust-man, We can't all have burer levels of autism in this game. I thought flashbangs were still weak on sec due to helmets, so I got got.

He only didn't kill my ass so he could say nobody died during his greytide shenanigans.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #87766

Alright so let's motherfucking talk about SS13 security.

I fucking HATE TG security. Fucking DESPISE them. It's not even anything against individual players, it's just that the whole guise of TG security policy downright encourages people to be fun-opressing shitbirds who have nothing better to do that brig every chucklefuck that mildly irritates them. Words cannot describe how fucking livid security makes me. Nearly every round I played would have me in the brig for ten minutes for a minor crime that either wasn't my fault or was legit as fuck on my behalf.

But then I converted my faith and went to Goon for a while, and my faith in security was restored.

Let me fucking tell you. Goon security? A fucking plus. 100% bonafied excellent security. Absolutely perfect the vast lot of them.

The Goon branch encourages security to not be a hardass, by-the-book, fun-hating shitlord, but encourages a "live and let live" style of play. Minor crimes are almost never punished unless you're blatantly being a dick and ruining other people's fun, and security are more than pleasant towards the crew, they're downright friendly. Even confirmed antagonists and traitors usually get off easy so long as they actively aren't trying to kill everyone and just wanna have fun.

If any of you are familiar with him, Geoff Goldman is the epitome of a Goon security officer. Robust, intelligent, and a fucking cool guy. More than happy to tag along with any fun gimmicks you make. All security players should strive to be like him.

But how, might you ask, has Goon cultured such a veritable paradise of fun and non-shit security? Simple. Their admins policed security /viciously/, and anybody who was too shit they jobbanned them, and their security policy was infinitely more lax than the TG version.

I mean, it makes sense, doesn't it? Having a really relaxed security policy means that more people will want to play security, AND it means that security won't be lagged down dealing with every minor crime that occurs, and can instead focus on shooting at that changeling killing the crew.

tl;dr Goon is best security, copy them
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87773

That's not at all how gooncurity got it's shit straight, They used to have the same problem we did, but they conquered it with multi-faceted well thought out strategic combinations of policy to support and reward goodcurity, Followed by a very clever campaign that continues to this day, wherin fuck da police attitudes and actions are met with a bwoink, whether or not you get banned or jobanned, the admin asking questions of it sent a clear message to the community, that fucking with the sec force just because you could is not tolerated, and the third, was the intense grilling of the sec force itself that you described, as well as a temporary whitelist which made only certain people able to play security as well as T.U.R.D.S which were a step further, that established the "New Normal" for what security does and does not do.

Similar steps has been taken in this community, such as the stance on greytiders, but there has never been any follow through, or any level of unity, If the coders are giving nice things to security, the admins are banning officers for abusing those nice things, if the admins are cutting security a mother fucking break, it's slow times for new features, and if both the admins and the coders are being nice, then the community shits all over security, because "if I don't do it, no-body will!!!111!!!one I am all that stands between this station and the jackbooted thug gestapo!" and it's always hard to argue, because the fresh faced retards you share the department with are too busy fucking things up and learning bad habits from eachother to ever be stopped without great sweeping changes.
Not to mention the HoS's who only joined to interfere in every arrest ever, and break shitcurity from the inside.

It's a broken system, It's better than it used to be, but it's not where it needs to be, and you're only pointing at the things that need to change that don't affect YOUR playstyle. Cracking down on officers in general is why you can't get good players to play.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #87780

Goon sec is really the equilivant of a mall cop that won't lift a finger unless there's a changeling (Goon's Ling, sort of like oldling but worse), Vampire or a Wizard blowing stuff up. The reason security does not get as much shit on Goon is because aside from the red shirt its hard to tell the difference between a officer and a civilian.

Also the Head of Security is a whitelisted role, meaning that generally a HoS is very competent and effective at their job. Unlike here where anyone can be a HoS and the quality of the HoS is usually very low.

E: Also sec equipment is very light overall, only the HoS has access to the armoury (which is more a personal back room) and only the HoS has access to effective equipment.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #87784

ShadowDimentio wrote:Nearly every round I played would have me in the brig for ten minutes for a minor crime that either wasn't my fault or was legit as fuck on my behalf.
Massive fucking citation needed, you don't get 10 minutes for a "minor crime" that wasn't your fault even under JLP rules, it sounds like you're leaving out part of the story.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Erisian

Post by Erisian » #87788

bandit wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Nearly every round I played would have me in the brig for ten minutes for a minor crime that either wasn't my fault or was legit as fuck on my behalf.
Massive fucking citation needed, you don't get 10 minutes for a "minor crime" that wasn't your fault even under JLP rules, it sounds like you're leaving out part of the story.
He's also from goon. Their rules are different. If people bother you enough you could go blow their fucking brains out, even moreso if you can make it funny to an admin. So, to be fair, he may be thinking he's done something valid that wouldn't normally get goonsec to get up from their ass, that'd have our sec come down on them hard for. Or he could just be lying.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87812

mrpain wrote:Tone down the amount of antags considerably. That will help a lot.
Antagrates are low enough as is. SoS decreased it from 1/6 to 1/8 or something a couple months ago, and, if you didn't notice, alot of rounds are worse off from it, and many feel that there aren't enough antagonists and/or become dull quickly/all the antags are caught in ~15 minutes (most notably, traitorchan, chan, and traitor - the other modes, rates aren't as bad because there's a single antagonist that can produce more antagonists, or a naturally high antag rate [DA]).

The problem isn't antagonists anywho, it's that playing security is a stressful position where if you don't follow protocol to the letter, you get bwoinked. It's gotten to the point where killing a subdueable traitor that is actively attempting to kill you as security is bwoinkable, same with executing a prisoner as the Centcomm-provided HoS without asking the Captain for permission (this actually happened to me all of a couple months ago).

Like, who would want to play as sec where you're worried the entire round whether literally everything you do is valid, or not? Security's job is to secure the station, whether they decide to rehabilitate antagonists, straight up murder them, or let them rot, and whatever they decide to do with greytiders, I believe it should be at the discretion of the round's security team. I believe that alot of the current sec policy needs to be scrapped in lieu of security, well, being able to do their jobs. IC problems should be maximally resolved IC, aside from flagrant/perpetual abuse of the core rules. It shouldn't be the sort of nonsense that we have now, where shitlers get dunked/permabrigged/thrown out an airlock/etc, and the natural reaction is to adminhelp so that the officer gets banned, so, at least, his round gets ruined, if not banned, for removing an antagonistic non-antagonist.

On the other side, there is room for abuse, but flagrant security power abuse is pretty obvious, because it's always the same things - giving out exaggerated sentences, killing for petty crimes, not talking alot or trying to understand the situation, etc.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #87836

Long time HoS here. I swear to god I get a call to bar every damn shift. It's to the point where I don't even bother to respond personally.

Reading though some of the stuff in this thread... god damn. And I thought I was a harsh HoS.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #87889

bandit wrote:Massive fucking citation needed, you don't get 10 minutes for a "minor crime" that wasn't your fault even under JLP rules, it sounds like you're leaving out part of the story.
I can give you an example right off the top of my head.

I was botanist, and, as botanists do, I needed mutagen, but the chemists were being pricks, as they always are. So, instead of dealing with their shittery, I called the AI and asked them to open the doors to chem. They did, and I went in, took a large beaker, and made myself some mutagen before walking back to botany. Cue the chemists screaming bloody murder over the comms until security raided botany, striped me of my ID and equipment, and threw me in the brig.

Over a BEAKER.
Erisian wrote:He's also from goon. Their rules are different. If people bother you enough you could go blow their fucking brains out, even moreso if you can make it funny to an admin. So, to be fair, he may be thinking he's done something valid that wouldn't normally get goonsec to get up from their ass, that'd have our sec come down on them hard for. Or he could just be lying.
No, you're completely wrong about everything.

Back about a year or so back I played TG near-exclusively and never even touched Goon until about December last year. I'm 110% not from Goon.

I wish I could pull up the dates from all the adminhelps I've made about shitcurity, with not a one being punished. I could give you a shitton of cases.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87890

Honestly you're the problem here, Every good player who has tried to turn things around has been torn down by frothing retards such as yourself, your attitude is why people would rather round start DC than play as a redshirt when they go random.

Everyone thinks they're completely justified in everything they do, Bar room brawls, where security comes in and shoots both parties, it really doesn't matter who gets the cuffs, No matter what you do, at least three people are going to claim you arrested the victim. Especially the prisoner.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #87892

Falamazeer wrote:Honestly you're the problem here, Every good player who has tried to turn things around has been torn down by frothing retards such as yourself, your attitude is why people would rather round start DC than play as a redshirt when they go random.

Everyone thinks they're completely justified in everything they do, Bar room brawls, where security comes in and shoots both parties, it really doesn't matter who gets the cuffs, No matter what you do, at least three people are going to claim you arrested the victim. Especially the prisoner.
Falamazeer wrote:frothing retards
Wow rude :(

But seriously that's a good metaphor for security policy as it stands. There surely is a better way to do things that burst in, cuff everyone, justice served.

Also semi related note: I don't DC sec when I random it. I rarely get random'd, and am rather unhappy when I do, but at least when I roll a 1 I'm presented with an opportunity to show these scrublords how it's done as security :^)
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #87894

ShadowDimentio wrote:But seriously that's a good metaphor for security policy as it stands. There surely is a better way to do things that burst in, cuff everyone, justice served.
There's really not, because generally the time it takes you to properly investigate a crime you've got another three instances you need to look into..
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87895

ShadowDimentio wrote:
I'm presented with an opportunity to show these scrublords how it's done as security :^)
Falamazeer wrote: Not to mention the HoS's who only joined to interfere in every arrest ever, and break shitcurity from the inside.
Falamazeer wrote:frothing retards
And this is what I meant, fuck you, and fuck people like you.

As I said before, your suggestions are only what you want done that doesn't affect YOUR playstyle, Which is as shitty as any of the retards I share a department with on any given round.

You are the problem, people like you sustain the problem, and it'll continue to be a problem until you can look past your own nose and see an apple for an apple, and not a plum.

Nobody good will join security in enough numbers to turn the tide of shitlerisms because people like you make the job unbearable, So you get what you have, a circlejerk of fresh faced retards learning eachothers bad habits.

It's your stink, don't get offended that i'm rubbing your nose in it, It's not just you either, but you're such a good specimen, a sample if you will.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #87898

ShadowDimentio wrote:
bandit wrote:Massive fucking citation needed, you don't get 10 minutes for a "minor crime" that wasn't your fault even under JLP rules, it sounds like you're leaving out part of the story.

I was botanist, and, as botanists do, I needed mutagen, but the chemists were being pricks, as they always are. So, instead of dealing with their shittery, I called the AI and asked them to open the doors to chem. They did, and I went in, took a large beaker, and made myself some mutagen before walking back to botany. Cue the chemists screaming bloody murder over the comms until security raided botany, striped me of my ID and equipment, and threw me in the brig.
You broke an IC law and were punished accordingly. Ok, you waltzed in and made yourself some mutagen. Now imagine how that looks to the chemists, MDs and security. The only way anyone would know is if they managed to shift+click the beaker in the microsecond between when you ejected it from the machine and when you picked it up. They have no idea what you made and they reacted accordingly.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #87918

Falamazeer wrote: Nobody good will join security in enough numbers to turn the tide of shitlerisms because people like you make the job unbearable, So you get what you have, a circlejerk of fresh faced retards learning eachothers bad habits.

It's your stink, don't get offended that i'm rubbing your nose in it, It's not just you either, but you're such a good specimen, a sample if you will.
--Fala "I tase everyone on sight" Mazeer

top kek
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #87919

ShadowDimentio wrote:

Over a BEAKER.
Erisian wrote:He's also from goon. Their rules are different. If people bother you enough you could go blow their fucking brains out, even moreso if you can make it funny to an admin. So, to be fair, he may be thinking he's done something valid that wouldn't normally get goonsec to get up from their ass, that'd have our sec come down on them hard for. Or he could just be lying.
No, you're completely wrong about everything.

Back about a year or so back I played TG near-exclusively and never even touched Goon until about December last year. I'm 110% not from Goon.

I wish I could pull up the dates from all the adminhelps I've made about shitcurity, with not a one being punished. I could give you a shitton of cases.
Chemistry is a very appealing place for traitors to break into. If I found you entering without authorization, you'd probably get a tracking implant.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87926

mosquitoman wrote: --Fala "I tase everyone on sight" Mazeer

top kek
You say that like it's a bad thing.
I'll adopt a "shoot questions first and ask bullets later" approach when people stop running the moment I try to talk to them.
Or continuing the brawl well after I've screamed at them to stop.

I'm not robust enough to stop people consistently after they know I'm on to them, So ninety percent of my arrests are done through stealth and back shots. Otherwise I'd spend every round ever yackity saxing, which I kinda do already.
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #87930

and 90% of the time you waste your time arresting people who are not doing anything particularly harmful, instead of traitors/lings/cultists etc, pissing off everyone, turning otherwise friendly crew against security and slowly ruining its image from round to round

face it, you're a power tripper and you only ever pick security not because you want to protect crew from harm but because you want to shoot tazorz everywhere trololo and get away with it, probably because it's the only amount of power and control you experience in your life

honk!
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #87932

And thusly the chance of anything productive coming out of this thread rapidly reaches zero.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #87933

Asspained greyshirt detected
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87935

mosquitoman wrote:and 90% of the time you waste your time arresting people who are not doing anything particularly harmful, instead of traitors/lings/cultists etc, pissing off everyone, turning otherwise friendly crew against security and slowly ruining its image from round to round

face it, you're a power tripper and you only ever pick security not because you want to protect crew from harm but because you want to shoot tazorz everywhere trololo and get away with it, probably because it's the only amount of power and control you experience in your life

honk!
Nope, I rarely arrest for stupid shit, I'm brave enough to put a name to my actions, Ham Sammich, How about you pumpkin?
Or do all you have is merit-less vague claims about how security wronged you and hurt your very special feelings?

Maybe try manning up and taking responsibility for the shit you do to bring problems on yourself. Because frankly trying to get personal and acting like a little bitch about it isn't helping your case, I am one of the oldest sec veterans still playing the role consistently, and I've only been jobbanned ONCE, Let any admin show otherwise and embarrass me in public if he wishes, I am not the gestapo, Nor a jackbooted thug, I am neither the hero this station deserves, nor the one it wants, I'm your average officer trying to hold the brig together against the tide of poo-flinging shitcrew who wants to tear it apart.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #87978

Atlanta-Ned wrote:You broke an IC law and were punished accordingly. Ok, you waltzed in and made yourself some mutagen. Now imagine how that looks to the chemists, MDs and security. The only way anyone would know is if they managed to shift+click the beaker in the microsecond between when you ejected it from the machine and when you picked it up. They have no idea what you made and they reacted accordingly.
It looks like a botanist trying to get some work done. It's not like I broke in, whipped up a beaker of zombie powder, and then proceeded to loom around the captain for ten minutes. No. I walked straight back to botany and did my fucking job.

And, hell. Even a quick, two second search that checked the beaker would tell those idiots that it was a beaker of mutagen, and everyone's rounds could go on.

But no, if a situation could potentially be interpreted as malicious, BRIG FOR TEN MINUTES, JUSTICE SERVED.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz