NikNakFlak V. An0n3 || Ninja Ruling/Not Objectives

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

NikNakFlak V. An0n3 || Ninja Ruling/Not Objectives

Post by NikNakFlak » #65387

Bottom post of the previous page:

This is half a complaint and half a policy thing I guess. The main point of this is not a complaint against conduct but a complaint against a ruling which stemmed from a ban which I believed to be invalid at the time it was made.

This mainly concerns a ban that I noticed in the ban database in which a player (coder in this case), was banned from syndicate antag positions for murderboning 21 people when he had the objective to save/protect lives or whatever. There are several ninja objectives that tell you to not kill people and I'm not sure which exact objective it was.

Here is the code.

Code: Select all

if(mission)
		var/datum/objective/O = new /datum/objective(mission)
		O.owner = Mind
		Mind.objectives += O
	else
		if(helping_station)	//DS are the highest priority (if we're a helpful ninja)
			for(var/datum/mind/M in ticker.minds)
				if(M.current && M.current.stat != DEAD)
					if(M.special_role == "Death Commando")
						var/datum/objective/assassinate/O = new /datum/objective/assassinate()
						O.owner = Mind
						O.target = M
						O.explanation_text = "Slay \the [M.current.real_name], the Death Commando."
						Mind.objectives += O

else				//Xenos are the highest priority (if we're not so helpful) Although this makes zero sense at all...
			for(var/mob/living/carbon/alien/humanoid/queen/Q in player_list)
				if(Q.mind && Q.stat != DEAD)
					O.owner = Mind
					O.target = Q.mind
					O.explanation_text = "Slay \the [Q.real_name]."
					Mind.objectives += O

if(Mind.objectives.len < 4)	//not enough objectives still!
			var/list/possible_targets = list()
			for(var/datum/mind/M in ticker.minds)
				if(M.current && M.current.stat != DEAD)
					if(istype(M.current,/mob/living/carbon/human))
						if(M.special_role)
							possible_targets[M] = 0						//bad-guy
						else if(M.assigned_role in command_positions)
							possible_targets[M] = 1						//good-guy

var/list/objectives = list(1,2,3,4)
			while(Mind.objectives.len < 4)	//still not enough objectives!
				switch(pick_n_take(objectives))
					if(1)	//research
						var/datum/objective/download/O = new /datum/objective/download()
						O.owner = Mind
						O.gen_amount_goal()
						Mind.objectives += O

if(2)	//steal
						var/datum/objective/steal/special/O = new /datum/objective/steal/special()
						O.owner = Mind
						Mind.objectives += O

if(3)	//protect/kill
						if(!possible_targets.len)	continue
						var/selected = rand(1,possible_targets.len)
						var/datum/mind/M = possible_targets[selected]
						var/is_bad_guy = possible_targets[M]
						possible_targets.Cut(selected,selected+1)

if(is_bad_guy ^ helping_station)			//kill (good-ninja + bad-guy or bad-ninja + good-guy)
							O.owner = Mind
							O.target = M
							O.explanation_text = "Slay \the [M.current.real_name], the [M.assigned_role]."
							Mind.objectives += O
						else										//protect
							var/datum/objective/protect/O = new /datum/objective/protect()
							O.owner = Mind
							O.target = M
							O.explanation_text = "Protect \the [M.current.real_name], the [M.assigned_role], from harm."
							Mind.objectives += O
					if(4)	//debrain/capture
						if(!possible_targets.len)	continue
						var/selected = rand(1,possible_targets.len)
						var/datum/mind/M = possible_targets[selected]
						var/is_bad_guy = possible_targets[M]
						possible_targets.Cut(selected,selected+1)

if(is_bad_guy ^ helping_station)			//debrain (good-ninja + bad-guy or bad-ninja + good-guy)
							var/datum/objective/debrain/O = new /datum/objective/debrain()
							O.owner = Mind
							O.target = M
							O.explanation_text = "Steal the brain of [M.current.real_name]."
							Mind.objectives += O
						else										//capture
							var/datum/objective/capture/O = new /datum/objective/capture()
							O.owner = Mind
							O.gen_amount_goal()
							Mind.objectives += O
					else
						break

//Add a survival objective since it's usually broad enough for any round type.
	var/datum/objective/O = new /datum/objective/survive()
	O.owner = Mind
	Mind.objectives += O

//Finally, add their RP-directive
	var/directive = generate_ninja_directive()
	O = new /datum/objective(directive)		//making it an objective so admins can reward the for completion
	O.owner = Mind
	Mind.objectives += O

//add some RP-fluff
	Mind.store_memory("I am an elite mercenary assassin of the mighty Spider Clan. A <font color='red'><B>SPACE NINJA</B></font>!")
	Mind.store_memory("Suprise is my weapon. Shadows are my armor. Without them, I am nothing. (//initialize your suit by right clicking on it, to use abilities like stealth)!")
	Mind.store_memory("Officially, [helping_station?"Nanotrasen":"The Syndicate"] are my employer.")

//spawn the ninja and assign the candidate
	Ninja = create_space_ninja(spawn_loc)
	Mind.transfer_to(Ninja)

//initialise equipment
	Ninja.wear_suit:randomize_param()
	Ninja.internal = Ninja.s_store
	if(Ninja.internals)
		Ninja.internals.icon_state = "internal1"

if(Ninja.mind != Mind)			//something has gone wrong!
		ERROR("The ninja wasn't assigned the right mind. ;ç;")

Ninja << sound('sound/effects/ninja_greeting.ogg') //so ninja you probably wouldn't even know if you were made one

success_spawn = 1

/*
This proc will give the ninja a directive to follow. They are not obligated to do so but it's a fun roleplay reminder.
Making this random or semi-random will probably not work without it also being incredibly silly.
As such, it's hard-coded for now. No reason for it not to be, really.
*/
/datum/round_event/ninja/proc/generate_ninja_directive()
	switch(rand(1,13))
		if(1)	return "The Spider Clan must not be linked to this operation. Remain as hidden and covert as possible."
		if(2)	return "[station_name] is financed by an enemy of the Spider Clan. Cause as much structural damage as possible."
		if(3)	return "A wealthy animal rights activist has made a request we cannot refuse. Prioritize saving animal lives whenever possible."
		if(4)	return "The Spider Clan absolutely cannot be linked to this operation. Eliminate all witnesses using most extreme prejudice."
		if(5)	return "We are currently negotiating with Nanotrasen command. Prioritize saving human lives over ending them."
		if(6)	return "We are engaged in a legal dispute over [station_name]. If a laywer is present on board, force their cooperation in the matter."
		if(7)	return "A financial backer has made an offer we cannot refuse. Implicate Syndicate involvement in the operation."
		if(8)	return "Let no one question the mercy of the Spider Clan. Ensure the safety of all non-essential personnel you encounter."
		if(9)	return "A free agent has proposed a lucrative business deal. Implicate Nanotrasen involvement in the operation."
		if(10)	return "Our reputation is on the line. Harm as few civilians or innocents as possible."
		if(11)	return "Our honor is on the line. Utilize only honorable tactics when dealing with opponents."
		if(12)	return "We are currently negotiating with a Syndicate leader. Disguise assassinations as suicide or another natural cause."
		else	return "There are no special supplemental instructions at this time."
Now in this, there are several things stating "Good guy or bad guy" or whatever based on what objectives you get. You can see them in the code comments where it states if your debraining a good guy or debraining a bad guy or whatever. At the bottom, there are the RP objectives which is where this ban and complaint comes from. As I said, Im not sure which objective the player got but I will list below the objectives that state "Do not kill" or whatever.

We are currently negotiating with Nanotrasen command. Prioritize saving human lives over ending them."
Let no one question the mercy of the Spider Clan. Ensure the safety of all non-essential personnel you encounter."
Our reputation is on the line. Harm as few civilians or innocents as possible."

All that aside, we have never enforced objectives for singular antags before ever as far as I am aware. Team antagonists are different as you work together as a team and while you may not want to do an objective in a team antag mode, you are required to. As a singular antag, as far as I was aware, you were free to do whatever you wanted. An0n3 and I argued many times about ERTs, ninjas as antags, the functions behind ninjas, and various other things which included forcing people to follow "Not" objectives or objectives that restrict behavior. We come into multiple conflicts about how he has always seen ninjas with that objective, and I have seen ninjas with any multiple amounts of objective, and ninjas even with that objective (to not kill anyone) and murderboned anyway.
While in the logs, HG points out Ninja should just be turned off permanently, this is still in debate, at least for me.

Edit: The ban was lifted but I guess my argument still stands at least in some cases. As I said, this is also half policy thing I guess.
Last edited by NikNakFlak on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Logs and refrences to them removed
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: NikNakFlak V. An0n3 || Ninja Ruling/Not Objectives

Post by Stickymayhem » #66021

mikecari wrote:murderboners like steelpoint
I've literally never seen steelpoint murderbone.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #66046

DemonFiren wrote:Murderbonering is, I imagine, fun for one person alone. Even the mop-up afterwards is tedious, if anyone survives this shit.
This isn't really true though, I've often times had fun either try to stop the murderboner or being able to observe the murderboner after I've been killed.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #66051

's why I said "I imagine".
Most of my experience comes from the lowpop rounds on Basil, where one shitler deciding to murder everyone will murder everyone, then dick around until shuttle time. Which is not entertaining at all.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #66054

Murderboning on lowpop is terrible as well as when the murderboner goes out of their way to murder totally uninvolved people like botanists and the chef as mikecari said.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #66571

mikecari wrote: Unfortunately murderboners like oranges

Epic, thanks man :lol:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #66606

So does no one else find this policy change actually very dumb?

Ninjas that murderbone and ignore their objectives are shitty as fuck and they should be told not to do this, true.
But this policy change is aimmed to be more general - with a huge exception, to murder objectives, and the clause about team antags.

So riddle me this, as a lone antag (or a team that agrees on something) what objective could you possible get, in any gamemode, where you could 'go against the objective', in a way that anyone would actually care/get banned for?

Traitors have
Murder: Part of this policy change explicitly exempts going against this objective.
Strand: Going out of your way to make sure someone safely gets off station... pretty sure this is part of the same exemption.
Steal: Going out of your way to... make sure something is not stolen.
Get documents: Going out of your way to not pick up a piece of paper.
Escape alive: Going out of your way to die/suicide.
Escape alone: Going out of your way to make sure other people safely escape.

I could list every possible objective but you can sort of see what I mean, right? No on is going to be upset that some has done one of these things, and if they're going out of their wway to do it, chances are it's RP related. The only thing I can really imagine, is where an ENTIRE cult decided to summon nar'sie instead of escaping with X cultists, which again,(unless EVERY cultist agrees) is fucking up as a team antag which is bannable anyway.

TL/DR: The policy change is basically pointless with how it's worded, it should just be 'don't murderbone as ninja' or 'you must try follow your objectives as ninja', since that what this is actually relevent to.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #66607

Cultists can't summon nar-nar when its not an objective anymore.
I changed it ages ago to set the nine on fire and send an admin message in case of shuttle grief.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #66609

lumipharon wrote:TL/DR: The policy change is basically pointless with how it's worded, it should just be 'don't murderbone as ninja' or 'you must try follow your objectives as ninja', since that what this is actually relevent to.
Because in the future when something else gets added to replace/add on to ninja, or other new antag types, "b-but the rule only says NINJA"
Better to just cover all bases in the future now rather than have to go back and add on to the rules each new iteration of something.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #66795

This sort of seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The idea is 'ninjas should stop murderboning' so the law is 'antagonists have less free will in general' when one could simply notify ninjas 'dun do it man'. You could argue that admins aren't going to enforce this except with ninjas, except giving someone the power to do something unwanted and then having them say they won't is sort of how tyrannies come about, mate. Humans abuse power, and the admin doing so would be following the rules - in fact, he might not even understand that that clause is designed for ninjas only.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #66961

Except most antags don't have objectives that specifically tell them to NOT do things.

If that changes somehow, then yes you would be right.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #67058

That's exactly what I'm saying. The wording of this policy change can only be confusing. It was made SPECIFICALLY because of an issue with ninja's, and was worded in such a way that it in reality ONLY effects ninjas, but APPEARS to effect ALL antags.
This is the definition of overcomplication.

If you're worried about some future antag (when is the last time tg has had a new antag? Hand of god for NT never went live, and gangster, I don't even know what happened to it) with a similar sort of objective, then it's dead simple.
The polciy can go from "ninjas cannot go directly against their objectives" to "ninjas and gangsters/klingons/semon demons cannot go directly against their objectives".

This seems pretty simple, and doesn't make any confusion for literally every other antagonist.

Is it not the idea to make policy as simple as possible, to avoid endless policy discussion/ahelps/ban appeals?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #67066

Violaceus wrote:Space Ninjas are admin event only
Incorrect, the game spawns them randomly like any other station event.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #67088

This covers us also creating antagonists as part of events but being able to withhold certain behaviors from them. You might not think this has a lot of application based on the regularly spawned antags, since most of what is mentioned is exclusively ninja only, but for future antagonists and more creative objectives it gives us more flexibility to deploy new, creative stuff.

We could give someone an objective to kidnap someone and keep them alive somewhere, much more difficult than just killing someone, and give them better gear than the average traitor would have to go with it.

Without any expectation of them adhering to their objectives all we've created is a more powerful massacre engine. It's the same guy who is going to be rampaging around and killing everyone, only now he has even better stuff to do it with. Sure sounds fun for everyone else. By enforcing certain objectives on them we can tailor the gameplay and come up with more scenarios where breaking out and murdering everyone you see isn't an option at all. The increased difficulty merits the better gear, more TC's, whatever. If someone prays "MAKE ME A XENO WIZARD!" I can do that, but then give them objectives that are all nonviolent and effectively prohibit them from using their powers to just rampage around. We can give people toys without letting them obliterate everyone else.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #67109

I would have though that if you're admin creating custom antags with custom objectives, you would explicitly tell them to follow them, as opposed to 'feel free to ignore them', but fair enough, I just don't like seeing people endless arguing about policy that imo is pretty straight forward.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #67110

It's future proofing though. In the limited circumstances where the game is going to randomly issue you a DONT DO THIS objective, we want you to follow it the same as if you were given custom objectives by an admin.

Down the road if new antagonist roles get created or new random objectives they'll be able to function with the understanding that people aren't just going to ignore them and do whatever else instead. Up until now there hasn't been a lot of reason to create a "be so-and-so's bodyguard" objective outside of Ninja events because most people would probably just ignore it completely to get their valids on. Now something like that is more clearly defined and more viable.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67248

With this ruling does this mean we can see more space ninjas?
Because space ninjas are cool
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #80209

Bump.

Just had a thought, with this policy in place we could have traitor sec/captains again but restrictions against them just up and killing random people for the lolz, so we could have the funny gimmick captains again without the all access easy mode.
Would probably require some code though to add an additional objective that would state they're meant to act rogue not dicks.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #80217

Malkevin wrote:Bump.

Just had a thought, with this policy in place we could have traitor sec/captains again but restrictions against them just up and killing random people for the lolz, so we could have the funny gimmick captains again without the all access easy mode.
Would probably require some code though to add an additional objective that would state they're meant to act rogue not dicks.
Just make the Captain not start with an uplink (due to the increased scrutiny/security of your position, we could not smuggle you an uplink) and for the AI upload to require dual ID swipes to open like red alert.

No easy mode one human that way.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #80220

Keep the ruling but take this crap out of ninja.

If the not objective ruling is mainly for event running the random ones in ninja are pretty pointless.