Admin enforced requirement for Captain's Execution permissio

Malkevin

Admin enforced requirement for Captain's Execution permissio

Post by Malkevin » #85292

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think we all agreed this is a silly rule forced in by SoS that no one liked and admins rarely enforced anyway.

So can we make it again that if the HoS, or even the warden/sec-officer, legitimately* executes someone without higher up permission its nothing beyond an IC issue?

That is the execution needs to be legitimate under space law, executing for minor crimes should obviously still be an OOC issue, though allowable if the person is repeatedly being a turd.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Re: Admin enforced requirement for Captain's Execution permi

Post by Falamazeer » #110895

As it's being enforced isn't working, RDGHT91 nearly got another note and ban for delivering righteous justice to a motherfucker of a janitor who randomly walked up and shot em with a tranq dart, Justice was found in the end but without the HoS permission a vicious baiter would have happily got his way, and THE VICTIM OF A RANDOM DART would have been banned for retaliating appropriately.

Keep it a rule, but make it context specific, Outright exposed antags, massive repeat shitlers, random griefers, and the normal expempt people (Ops wiz, ling, shadowling, evil hulk, anyone you cannot safely disable for arrest) should not require captain/HoS permissions.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #110900

Why keep the rule though? You shouldn't be killing anyone unless they fall into those categories anyway (also, ERPers.)
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #110903

I don't think ERPers are valid in that way, I could be wrong though its not exactly clear at the moment and practically every admin except me are off doing something for the next week or so.

As for the ban recently overturned, it was only a ban in the first place because the HoS apparently had claimed he never gave authorization when he was asked about it, and his word was taken for it. I plan to talk to him about that too once I get a bunch of shit sorted out.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #110908

rdght91 wrote:Why keep the rule though? You shouldn't be killing anyone unless they fall into those categories anyway (also, ERPers.)
Keep the rule for every OTHER situation that isn't so cut and dried as the ones I stated. For the ones that you aren't sure about.
but make it context specific, if the officer had a damn good reason you shouldn't have to ban them anyways for side-stepping the chain of command and executing someone.
Saegrimr wrote:I don't think ERPers are valid in that way, I could be wrong though its not exactly clear at the moment and practically every admin except me are off doing something for the next week or so.
When it was implimented it was specifically said to be valid salad
Saegrimr wrote:As for the ban recently overturned, it was only a ban in the first place because the HoS apparently had claimed he never gave authorization when he was asked about it, and his word was taken for it. I plan to talk to him about that too once I get a bunch of shit sorted out.
I acknowledge that, my point is as I stated, without that permission, he'd have been shit outta luck, even though the guy was a complete twat, and any rule that rewards complete twats over good honest hardworking red SHITS with protections, needs another look.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #110911

Without that permission, its a case of someone else caught the guy until the initially attacked person recovered, dragged him cuffed to a back room and beat him to death.

That's not really what i'd called the best escalation when it comes to sec officers, or even for non-sec. Not gonna say he wasn't being a cunt and didn't deserve it, but you know, standards and all.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #110913

I'd call it par for the course for a sec force that isn't completely neutered by generations of grudge-policy scaring them.
Honestly, what did he expect? he drugged em, randomly. One of the best armed people on the station for the fuck of it.

He casually abused an officer and is surprised at the outcome. that doesn't sit well with me, does it you?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #110914

Yeah, morphine sucks, jani was a massive whinging cunt to the sec officer for no reason, and expected to get off scott free because of our history of harsh admin scrutiny on sec. I think it should have been fine permission or no
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #110916

I cannot speak out often enough about genuine shitcurity they are a godamn nightmare, but too often the increased scrutiny on security is just used to hammer the people who play the roll to the best of their ability in favor of protecting people who enjoy round after round stoking their ego by fucking with security in a misguided attempt to punish the wicked, or to tear through an understaffed undersupported department like wet tissue paper to prove their prowess.

rulings that dick an officer on a technicality in favor of protecting someone who by all rights has brought righteous fury upon themselves is damaging to the playability of the job, and as Kor and sticky have both in their own words determined that they intend to loosen the noose on security a bit, this is a damn good place to start.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #110954

Falamazeer wrote:rulings that dick an officer on a technicality in favor of protecting someone who by all rights has brought righteous fury upon themselves is damaging to the playability of the job, and as Kor and sticky have both in their own words determined that they intend to loosen the noose on security a bit, this is a damn good place to start.
It would be nice to give sec more leeway, the downside to this is it might legitimize more greytide riots against sec going willy nilly with executions. We'll just have to burn that bridge later though.
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #111032

Saegrimr wrote:Without that permission, its a case of someone else caught the guy until the initially attacked person recovered, dragged him cuffed to a back room and beat him to death.

That's not really what i'd called the best escalation when it comes to sec officers, or even for non-sec. Not gonna say he wasn't being a cunt and didn't deserve it, but you know, standards and all.
I would have let him go with a tracker implant if he said something like, "Sorry, some other officer was a dick to me/I just wanted to see what would happen/Basically anything that indicated he wasn't some dickhead who like to go around injecting people with a chemical that knocks you for a loooong time.

But yeah, it also kinda feeds back into security policy and the low rules experience- if you don't fuck with people you can call on admin protection, but you get into conflicts willingly both sides can take the gloves off.

I also want to point out that attacking sec with incapacitating weapons is lethal force. Even real life police doctrine makes that clear, because an officer that gets tazed is wide open to getting killed or getting their weapons taken and used not only against themselves but others.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #111033

More grey tide riots are fine, so long as sec gets to laser the rioters.

Keep things IC
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #111035

Malkevin wrote:More grey tide riots are fine, so long as sec gets to laser the rioters.

Keep things IC
That's the beauty of low rules. At least greytide riots are fun as long as you can defend yourself against them. It was only a really big problem because it happened every single round because there was no consequence for it and people who would table you while you were chasing after a traitor (a certain host player) would cry if they got perma'ed for helping the traitor.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #111047

rdght91 wrote:
Malkevin wrote:More grey tide riots are fine, so long as sec gets to laser the rioters.

Keep things IC
That's the beauty of low rules. At least greytide riots are fun as long as you can defend yourself against them. It was only a really big problem because it happened every single round because there was no consequence for it and people who would table you while you were chasing after a traitor (a certain host player) would cry if they got perma'ed for helping the traitor.
Security can already use lethal force on any group of people they can wrap the word "Riot" around, IIRC
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #111070

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
rdght91 wrote:

Keep things IC
Security can already use lethal force on any group of people they can wrap the word "Riot" around, IIRC
That has lead to bans before though. I've got boinked for perma'ing and stripping a radio from someone who was screaming "RIOT RIOT RIOT" over comms when they got brigged for breaking a window or something.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111078

rdght91 wrote:That has lead to bans before though. I've got boinked for perma'ing and stripping a radio from someone who was screaming "RIOT RIOT RIOT" over comms when they got brigged for breaking a window or something.
Weird, I was under the assumption that's supposed to be handled the exact opposite. Where you start bwoinking the dude screaming riot and generally being a shit fnr.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #111091

Captains should just show some balls more often and charge officers who kill people without their permission with murder and publicly execute them.

Problem solved.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #111096

Rioting's in space law though, and it's not a capital offence. It's not even in the 'major' category (though attempting to incite a riot is). The reason you can kill rioters is because when they're in a big group they stand a decent chance of killing you. It's not because of the crime, it's because of the context.

If you perma a one man riot inciter, you're definitely going against the spirit of space law, and arguably the letter of it too. Just bring him back in, give him five minutes more for 'inciting a riot', get rid of his headset, and if he starts making a bigger fuss (somehow breaking windows, or whatever) up the time until he calms down. It's just one guy.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #111099

Just so you know, when I wrote that inciting a riot law I fully intended that if you did parole them you would stick them with a tracker and a lethal chem implant.

Also note the difference between rioting and mutiny.
Rioting is encouraging others to commit crime.
Mutiny is encouraging others to take violence and overthrow the legitimate authority on station.

Guess which one encouraging people to attack the brig/security falls under.

Edit: All honesty though I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing a riot shouter straight into perma without giving parole first, because every single time I've done the parole route its always come back to bite me in the arse.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111103

Malkevin wrote:Edit: All honesty though I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing a riot shouter straight into perma without giving parole first
That used to be in the rules, actually.
"If a person that is intentional fucking with security is yelling "rouge sec", or something similar, when the arrest is valid, he should be instantly permabrigged."

It's since been changed to
"If a person is intentionally fucking with security is yelling "rogue sec" or something similar, adminhelp it. This can be punished with a rule 1 violation ban."
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #111104

encouraging people to resolve things OOC instead of IC is pretty dumb.

It seems much better to perma the shitter, then let the admins know about it, if they want to take further action/make notes/etc.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #111106

Saegrimr wrote:
Malkevin wrote:Edit: All honesty though I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing a riot shouter straight into perma without giving parole first
"If a person that is intentional fucking with security is yelling "rouge sec", or something similar, when the arrest is valid, he should be instantly permabrigged."

"If a person is intentionally fucking with security is yelling "rogue sec" or something similar, adminhelp it. This can be punished with a rule 1 violation ban."
It needs to go back to that then, because I've never seen this happen, and nobody can pretend it's uncommon for people to scream it and have no real consequence.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #111148

Saegrimr wrote:

I still think it'd be hilarious if screaming lies about what sec are doing to you over the radio was an immediate greenlight for them to do those things.

I mean, probably a nightmare to administrate, but still hilarious.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #111150

You mean it's not already a green light?
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #111166

During the recent gang round, the non gang-members who got arrested in the chaos were by far the worst, screaming non-stop (one claimed I was murdering them because I shot them with a disabler when they ran) and then whining about shitcurity after they got implanted and released. I ahelped it and nothing happened, and we can't handle that IC without risking a ban.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #111840

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Secu ... Precedents
New rules, No mention of captain authorization being required for executions, and space law is still IC, and not enforced.

Does this mean the rule was dropped? and that officers will be answering to their superiors and not to 'le gods'
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111851

Falamazeer wrote:Does this mean the rule was dropped? and that officers will be answering to their superiors and not to 'le gods'
5. Lone antagonists can do whatever they want, short of metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.

1. Rule 1 of the main rules apply to security. The only exception is that security is generally considered to be armed with non-lethal methods to control a situation. Therefore, where reasonably possible, security is expected to use non-lethal methods first in a conflict before escalating to lethal methods.
2. Rule 5 of the main rules also apply to security. Security are not exceptions to the rule where non-antagonists can do anything they want, as per rule 5, to antagonists.

There is a bit of a conflict here, but it sounds like antags are fair game to sec.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #111854

Agreed, but coupled with act like an antag get treated like an antag seems like sec won't be getting dunked for man-handling griffons.

Pretty much in line with my notions of how it should go, Executions are A-okay, so long as you know most reasonable people would agree that the doucher brought it on themselves. while still preventing shitcurity from grabbing people from timed cells for an execution for the fuck of it, and other shit along that same vein.

edit: basically with being expected to detain non lethally etc etc, be prepared to defend your actions if you decide to redrum.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111859

Falamazeer wrote:Agreed, but coupled with act like an antag get treated like an antag seems like sec won't be getting dunked for man-handling griffons.
With the chat between sticky and aus in adminbus, this seems like the intent behind it.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #111900

If a griffon is griffin you can beat them to death on the spot basically.

Obviously they have to be pretty bad like mobbing you or keeping you incapacitated or stripping all your shit or running around like a shitter stealing tasers (Like me) to deserve it but yeah.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #111922

2.Rule 5 of the main rules also apply to security. Security are not exceptions to the rule where non-antagonists can do anything they want, as per rule 5, to antagonists.
...What?
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #111929

Malkevin wrote:
2.Rule 5 of the main rules also apply to security. Security are not exceptions to the rule where non-antagonists can do anything they want, as per rule 5, to antagonists.
...What?
Sec aren't allowed to do whatever they want to an antag.
According to that, they are exempt from the "Antags are valid" rule.

So if the admins interpret it in that way, we're back to square one.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111931

Akkryls wrote:
Malkevin wrote:
...What?
Sec aren't allowed to do whatever they want to an antag.
According to that, they are exempt from the "Antags are valid" rule.

So if the admins interpret it in that way, we're back to square one.
Rule 5 in short says [Antags are valid as fuck]

Therefore: [Antags are valid as fuck] also applies to security. Security are not exceptions to the rule where [antags are valid as fuck]

tl;dr: Antags are valid as fuck, but you're still expected to try and detain them instead of just unzip your harmbaton all over their face.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #111935

Bleh. I misread.
Apologies.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #111936

Regarding the conflict noted by saeg,

You know how a conflict between say a clown and assistant will go from slipping and tabling, to disarms and pushes, then to lethals like fire extinguishers? Sec just has to use their tasers and batons, where reasonably possible, before they get to the lethal part.

Antagonists being valid as fuck are a necessity for security, because I've had gang bosses or traitors fresh from a double esword rampage ahelp about being executed. Which is a bit silly.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.