MUH PETS MUH PETS MUH PETS

Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

MUH PETS MUH PETS MUH PETS

Post by Saintish » #30086

Essentially, this rule allows a traitor to do is shout "SO-AND-SO KILLED IAN!" and then lynch Mr. So-and-So. It then allows non-antag crewmembers to space Mr. So-and-So's corpse, because hey, he killed Ian, didn't he? Fuck, why don't they just gib him, even.

This is on the level of validhunting. What happens when a player-controlled pet is being an intolerable shit, dragging people away from Security? Will Security be lynch-mobbed by the rest of the crew for killing the pet? Well, the crew certainly is allowed to, even if they had no relationship with the pet. Hell, the rule allows them to bomb the brig if all of Security took part in the killing.

So, should the rule be restored to its original form, despite admins never enforcing it? Or should station-wide lynchmobs over Ian-killers be banned entirely?

Previously:
9. Killing someone's pet for the sole purpose of getting a reaction out of them means you will get a reaction out of them. Short of hiding you so you can't be cloned or destroying your body, you reap what you sow from creating one of these conflicts. The person who gets vengeance on you for killing their pet does not recieve IC protection from security or otherwise, however.
Now:
9. Killing someone's pet for the sole purpose of getting a reaction out of them means you will get a reaction out of them. You reap what you sow from creating one of these conflicts. The person who gets vengeance on you for killing their pet does not recieve IC protection from security or otherwise, however.
Last edited by Saintish on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: MUH PETS MUH PETS MUH PETS

Post by Saegrimr » #30091

You've been complaining about this for so long, and now you're unhappy with the outcome?
Maybe you should stop trying to ban bait.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

Post by Saintish » #30094

Saegrimr wrote:You've been complaining about this for so long, and now you're unhappy with the outcome?
Maybe you should stop trying to ban bait.
What does this have to do with anything?
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30160

Why don't we just alter it so that only the owner of the pet may seek retribution? I.e, Assistants cannot lynchmob you for spacing Ian, but the HoP (and only the HoP) can do whatever he pleases.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #30167

I thought that was the case?

If it's not, it seems uterlly stupid that a someone can kill someone who killed a pet they do not own.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30173

Steelpoint wrote:I thought that was the case?

If it's not, it seems uterlly stupid that a someone can kill someone who killed a pet they do not own.
Ian gets special treatment (and has been ruled more than once) as "everyone's pet" with the HoP as the "owner" only in name. I think this mostly stems from corgi meat being a tator objective.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30174

cedarbridge wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:I thought that was the case?

Ian gets special treatment (and has been ruled more than once) as "everyone's pet" with the HoP as the "owner" only in name. I think this mostly stems from corgi meat being a tator objective.
Vice versa, actually. Corgi meat stems from Ian making you omni-valid.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #30192

After reading into this a bit, it seems the actual rule on this was changed as a result of the OP's ban request thread. Originally you could kill a guy who killed your pet, but you could not hide/destroy the body. After the ban request was lodged this part of the rule was removed by Hornygranny.

To be frank, you should only be 'valid' to the person who directly own the pet. Ian is the HoP's pet, and should not be the crews pet. That's stupid, I could just steal Ian as the HoS, leave it somewhere in a hallway, hide in a locker then burst out and kill anyone who kills Ian.

B-b-bbbut Ian's meat is a objective! Who cares? Its a stupid objective, does not tell you how to get it easily, and more likley than not someone's already stolen Ian or its been spaced or whatever.

We don't let the entire crew be able to valid kill someone who steals a pair of Magboots or breaks into the teleporter room. Why is Ian the exception then?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #30194

is it that hard not to be a 2edgy spessmen and kill pets for no reason
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #30211

Because we love Ian.

It's incredibly enjoyable that the entire crew loses their mind over Ian and making sure he's safe. I think it's a coping mechanism for being in spess all the time.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30218

QuartzCrystal wrote:I think it's a coping mechanism for being in spess all the time.
There's something to be said about a crew that doesn't bat an eye over looting entire departments (or personal quarters) but loses their goddamn mind over a corgi.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #30233

Why not make only the owner of the killed pet the person responsible for taking revenge on the killer? If the owner cares enough, great, if not, a lynch mob is not warranted either.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #30238

cedarbridge wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:I think it's a coping mechanism for being in spess all the time.
There's something to be said about a crew that doesn't bat an eye over looting entire departments (or personal quarters) but loses their goddamn mind over a corgi.
Well, those humans were either going to be awful to you or kill you anyways. Ian never harmed anybody. Good guy Ian can be trusted and loved by everyone, he doesn't discriminate. He's the virtuous, pure and innocent soul among a station full of psychopaths, sociopaths, and other things ending in -path.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30263

Cipher3 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Well, those humans were either going to be awful to you or kill you anyways. Ian never harmed anybody. Good guy Ian can be trusted and loved by everyone, he doesn't discriminate. He's the virtuous, pure and innocent soul among a station full of psychopaths, sociopaths, and other things ending in -path.
Homeopath
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #30269

Defending and protecting Ian is the shared responsibility of all of the crew. MAYBE same for Runtime. MAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Pun-Pun, if you've been actually doing stuff with him and not abandoning him until you want to wreck someone.

But you must guard Ian from all threats, foreign and domestic.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30899

Oh yes. I've been killed multiple times by shitty greytiders because somebody lied that I killed Ian. Worse, I've had people assume that I killed Ian because I dragged his corpse to the chapel when some other retard killed him.

It's fucking retarded. Make pet killers only valid for pet owners, period.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #30951

Petkilling is for some reason the one type of 'gettin' muh valids' the admins endorse.

Pet killers should be valid to nobody, it should just be a briggable offense. As it stands now, it's just a stupid way to allow people to randomly killbait.

Also, do you have to be super gay for Corgis to be an admin? It's a fucking hyper low res sprite that does nothing. If it's about 'muh animuls' then why shouldn't all pets make you valid for everyone? What if I don't like people killing mice? It's just a stupid meme that's gone way too far, and it's actually gotten to the point where it's messing up people's rounds. (You know, actual people, as opposed to a simple piece of code that moves in random directions)
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30956

damiac wrote:It's a fucking hyper low res sprite that does nothing.
Ya realize you're playing a roleplaying game right son?
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #31291

Yeah... in a roleplaying game you're supposed to act like a real human right? So if you hear secondhand someone maybe killed a dog, do you get every single person you know and go beat that person to death? Then stuff their body in a trash can?

Or if you hear there's a guy with a gun at the 7-11, do you grab the nearest toolbox and sprint to that 7-11 to get your valids on?

I'd say to the people who want to go lynch a suspected pet killer:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31307

damiac wrote:Yeah... in a roleplaying game you're supposed to act like a real human right? So if you hear secondhand someone maybe killed a dog, do you get every single person you know and go beat that person to death? Then stuff their body in a trash can?

Or if you hear there's a guy with a gun at the 7-11, do you grab the nearest toolbox and sprint to that 7-11 to get your valids on?

I'd say to the people who want to go lynch a suspected pet killer:
Defending and protecting Ian is the shared responsibility of all of the crew. MAYBE same for Runtime. MAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Pun-Pun, if you've been actually doing stuff with him and not abandoning him until you want to wreck someone.

But you must guard Ian from all threats, foreign and domestic.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #31322

That's nice that one admin said that on this forum, but what the hell is your point?

My argument (and the OP's) is that the stupid 'Kill anyone who anyone said killed Ian' rule is dumb, and only promotes validhunting. There are examples in this very thread of people whose round was ruined because of this rule. Nobody's round would be ruined if this wasn't a rule. And you're still quite free to RP being really bummed out that someone killed Ian, and could have a trial for the evil animal murderer. You know, like a human might do, the thing you're 'roleplaying'.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #31330

It's just some nice fun silliness in a station surrounded and staffed with murderous killers; I'd make it so that it doesn't make you valid for killing though. That is just plain stupid, and takes someone out the game.
bandit

Post by bandit » #31332

damiac wrote:Nobody's round would be ruined if this wasn't a rule.
once again: is it that hard to not kill ian

admin feedback pls
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31370

Killing a pet so you can kill validhunters who try to kill you in 'self defense' is fucking retarded fuck you that's killbaiting and 100% against the rules you shitter.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #31543

It's not that hard to not kill Ian. It's harder to not get accused of killing Ian. Have you read the posts in the thread, where people talk about times they were killed, despite not having killed Ian?

That's why it's a problem, it's a dumb meta thing, like a traitor reading WGW with a voice changer to get his target killed, it only works because of stupid rules that encourage 'validhunting'. It's essentially the same as using a voice changer to say ":gI'm absorbing my last target", because it only works for meta reasons.

It's especially stupid that 1 pet is subject to different treatment than the rest.

For people who can only read the last post:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Oh yes. I've been killed multiple times by shitty greytiders because somebody lied that I killed Ian. Worse, I've had people assume that I killed Ian because I dragged his corpse to the chapel when some other retard killed him.

It's fucking retarded. Make pet killers only valid for pet owners, period.
Saintish wrote:Essentially, this rule allows a traitor to do is shout "SO-AND-SO KILLED IAN!" and then lynch Mr. So-and-So. It then allows non-antag crewmembers to space Mr. So-and-So's corpse, because hey, he killed Ian, didn't he? Fuck, why don't they just gib him, even.

This is on the level of validhunting. What happens when a player-controlled pet is being an intolerable shit, dragging people away from Security? Will Security be lynch-mobbed by the rest of the crew for killing the pet? Well, the crew certainly is allowed to, even if they had no relationship with the pet. Hell, the rule allows them to bomb the brig if all of Security took part in the killing.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31545

Killbaiting is just as bad as validhunting if not WORSE because the killbaiters instigate it because they're bored or whatever.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31549

paprika wrote:Killbaiting is just as bad as validhunting if not WORSE because the killbaiters instigate it because they're bored or whatever.
...then remove valid status so people don't killbait?..
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31555

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
paprika wrote:Killbaiting is just as bad as validhunting if not WORSE because the killbaiters instigate it because they're bored or whatever.
...then remove valid status so people don't killbait?..
Holy shit, we're agreeing on something.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31684

SO WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WHEN SOMEONE KILLS PETS FNR? NOTHING? SECURITY DETAINING? ADMIN INTERVENTION?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31702

paprika wrote:SO WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WHEN SOMEONE KILLS PETS FNR? NOTHING? SECURITY DETAINING? ADMIN INTERVENTION?
Toggles something in the code that gibs them.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31706

paprika wrote:SO WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WHEN SOMEONE KILLS PETS FNR? NOTHING? SECURITY DETAINING? ADMIN INTERVENTION?
nothing

Or, more accurately, the owner of the pet now has a reason to want your head on a silver platter, maybe, if he cares, but who else gives a fuck? Ian is no exception, it doesn't make you valid, you don't get greytide lynchmobbed because "OMG HE KILLED IAN"
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #31746

Fuck pets. Pets are dumb. I kill poly and pete every time. People who kill pet killers are the same cunts who slip security. If NT cares about animal cruelty just make it a space law for security to deal with.
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #31753

Scott wrote:Fuck pets. Pets are dumb. I kill poly and pete every time. People who kill pet killers are the same cunts who slip security. If NT cares about animal cruelty just make it a space law for security to deal with.
Pete actually serves a practical function and is WORTH keeping alive; he provides free milk and can clear weeds out -fast-.

I also like Poly and Runtime as I own a bird and two cats, but Ian is the epitome of gay.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31820

Kangaraptor wrote:
Scott wrote:Fuck pets. Pets are dumb. I kill poly and pete every time. People who kill pet killers are the same cunts who slip security. If NT cares about animal cruelty just make it a space law for security to deal with.
Pete actually serves a practical function and is WORTH keeping alive; he provides free milk and can clear weeds out -fast-.

I also like Poly and Runtime as I own a bird and two cats, but Ian is the epitome of gay.
Poly has outed more antags than many sec officers
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #31863

tbh if i heard someone killed a dog, yes, i would want to beat the shit out of them irl, regardless of who they are
animal cruelty is fucking horrible and anyone who does it is less than human
there is no reason to do it other than being a sick cunt
if it was self defense its obviously not animal cruelty either, and its not like ian can kill you
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #31864

Ian is not a real person, miggles.
bandit

Post by bandit » #31866

I just want to point out that literally every single round he gets the opportunity Saintish has been killing Ian and killbaiting with it, as some sort of retaliation for a prior FNR post, in case people are wondering about the motivation behind this thread.

I fucking hate dogs IRL but being 2edgy by killing Ian is up there with graytiding for being a shit player

admin feedback pls
miggles

Post by miggles » #31872

i never said ian was a person
animal cruelty differs from person to person violence in that there is no justifiable reason to do it other than being attacked yourself
attacking people is pretty bad too but if theyre breaking the law or endangering other people, etc, its justifiable
animals, especially pets, are innocent to those things. again, the only real reason to attack someone's pet, or a zoo animal, etc is if you or someone else is getting attacked by it. pets in SS13 cant do that, except for pete.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #32412

Seriously, the funnest thing to do with Ian, besides dressing him out is killing him. So, if you care so much about your little pets, how about an animal cruelty lawset?

P.E.T.A. AI Board:
1. You will not harm animals or allow an animal to come into harm.
2. Help animals as long as doing so does not conflict with Law 1.
3. Humans are considered animals until they harm a non-human animal.
4. Humans who harm animals are no longer considered animals and are to be neutralized.
5. The process of neutralization involves arrest, demotion, or execution, dependant of the degree of the crime.

Good? There is an obvious loophole, but I mean, I you can apply it I guess go for it, right?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32419

Or just 4. Those who harm animals are not humans
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #32423

That would allow the AI to unleash retribution on pet killers, but not prevent people from harming pets in the first place.
Of course the problem with the PETA lawset is that it prevents animal testing, but I'm pretty sure given the name that this was intentional.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #32430

Are xenos animals? I mean, biologically speaking, they're not members of kingdom Animalia....
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
miggles

Post by miggles » #32494

what if they are huh
way to be kingdomist
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #32499

Fragnostic wrote:Seriously, the funnest thing to do with Ian, besides dressing him out is killing him. So, if you care so much about your little pets, how about an animal cruelty lawset?

P.E.T.A. AI Board:
1. You will not harm animals or allow an animal to come into harm.
2. Help animals as long as doing so does not conflict with Law 1.
3. Humans are considered animals until they harm a non-human animal.
4. Humans who harm animals are no longer considered animals and are to be neutralized.
5. The process of neutralization involves arrest, demotion, or execution, dependant of the degree of the crime.

Good? There is an obvious loophole, but I mean, I you can apply it I guess go for it, right?
PETAmov*
And yeah, define what aliens and slimes and stuff are.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #32516

I was thinking the genetics/virology monkeys, which can't really be removed from "animal" under any definition of the word, rather than aliens
but those would be important to clarify too
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #32729

miggles wrote:tbh if i heard someone killed a dog, yes, i would want to beat the shit out of them irl, regardless of who they are
animal cruelty is fucking horrible and anyone who does it is less than human
there is no reason to do it other than being a sick cunt
if it was self defense its obviously not animal cruelty either, and its not like ian can kill you
Michael Vick (an NFL player) ran a dog fighting ring, I'm pretty sure he killed some dogs. Should be easy enough to find out where he lives, he's famous enough. Strangely, a mob of people in grey shirts have not yet murdered him, so I guess he's all yours miggles.

Clearly pet murder should net you a 5 minute brig time if convicted, and no 'validing'.

If killing pets didn't automatically turn the round into 'deathmatch mode', people would probably do it less. So if you're really so offended that people kill Ian (basically the same thing as a reskinned mouse, by the way), then removing 'valid' status for pet killers would make people do it less.

People who want to be able to kill pet killers aren't animal lovers, they're people haters.
miggles

Post by miggles » #32766

you seem to misunderstand the difference between these two sentences:
"if i heard someone killed a dog, yes, i would want to beat the shit out of them irl"
"if i heard someone killed a dog, yes, i would beat the shit out of them irl"
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #32812

Why not just make Ian and Runtime be able to fight back, with a decent amount of damage?
At the very least, it'll hold off the killer for a bit.
:^)
miggles

Post by miggles » #32858

thats stupid and doesnt actually change anything
people killing pets isnt a problem that needs to be fixed, the controversy is whether they should be valid for it or not
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #32859

In my opinion, add a new law to space law that criminalizes animal killing, sentencing it to a 5 minute sentence.

Only the pet owner is allowed to kill the animal killer, however if they do kill the killer they will be charged with murder, and that they are prepared to be removed from the round and placed in prison for killing someone.

I think we should try and emphasize this as a Security issue.