Roundstart borging of non assistant job slots

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Roundstart borging of non assistant job slots

Post by oranges » #48695

I've been seeing recently a number of people rolling for borg, not getting it and taking up another pretty valuable job slot, I.e engineer,atmos or botany etc. Then they immediately go to the roboticist and get borged.

This in itself isn't a huge problem, but they don't go through the HoP or their Head and turn in their gear.

This means you waste valuable job slots on the new borgs and others who might have used that slot end up as an assistant or some other role.

I personally think we need to raise the number of roundstart borgs but can we think of any other solutions?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Roundstart borging of non assistant job slots

Post by Saegrimr » #48718

Well if its an engineer and he goes engiborg that's not really that bad. Not sure why people don't have "be an assistant if job is unavailable" selected for their borg slot.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #48781

Saegrimr wrote:Well if its an engineer and he goes engiborg that's not really that bad.
Not really. If you have everything on never (or low or whatever) and a borg slot on high and you aren't gonna get it, you will just get RNG job, engineering might not be what you wanted.
Saegrimr wrote:Not sure why people don't have "be an assistant if job is unavailable" selected for their borg slot.
I think it's reason enough to start regulating it, honestly. Get assistant if you only want to roll for borg.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #49096

Hmmm, that brings up a good point. We could try and change it by asking roboticsts to request people hand in their gear/only borging assistants. But then that really depends on who plays the roboticst.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #49170

The roundstart borg number has been in need of a raise for a long time.

I think the optimal number for most populations is 2.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #49179

Easy solution is to increase roundstart borgs, because 2 on a 90 person server really only contributes to the issue where you log in on Sybil and...
Assistant (35)

Anyways, I'd say the easy fix player-wise is to have them use a character slot set to borg on high, so that if they don't get it, they can shoot they greyshirted self on over to robotics.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #49248

i think it's OK most of the time. as an example engineers can easily go turn themselves in as long as they all don't fuck off and leave the engine unstarted. the janitor can go become a janiborg for instance no problem whatever.

i think it's become more common but it's not a huge plague.

someone said in this thread to increase starting cyborg number and i think that's a good idea. 1 is not alot; amusingly the roundstart cyborg is harder to get than almost any job on the station, including AI.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #49262

I dont think a blanket policy is the answer here. I do, however, think that department heads should be entitled to enter Robotics to retrieve their department's gear, should the need arise.
/vg/station Head Admin
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #49269

I think that if a person is consistently getting a limited job role (my definition of limited role is one where there is only one or two slots for it) and going to get borged, they should be asked to stop. That's all I can add.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #49372

Cik wrote:i think it's OK most of the time. as an example engineers can easily go turn themselves in as long as they all don't fuck off and leave the engine unstarted. the janitor can go become a janiborg for instance no problem whatever.

i think it's become more common but it's not a huge plague.

someone said in this thread to increase starting cyborg number and i think that's a good idea. 1 is not alot; amusingly the roundstart cyborg is harder to get than almost any job on the station, including AI.
I remember being the only MD on a station with mounting casualties everywhere. I ducked off to robotics and came back as a mediborg to run the medbay more efficiently. Good times.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #49375

mrpain wrote:I dont think a blanket policy is the answer here. I do, however, think that department heads should be entitled to enter Robotics to retrieve their department's gear, should the need arise.
I agree, because on the one hand losing a job slot is really dumb, but on the other sometimes stuff like this happens.
cedarbridge wrote:I remember being the only MD on a station with mounting casualties everywhere. I ducked off to robotics and came back as a mediborg to run the medbay more efficiently. Good times.
And it actually ends up being a decent use of the game's mechanics and good RP to boot.
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #49416

It would be nicer if there was some sort of easy way for Roboticists to return gear to the department. People don't usually have the patience/time to meet up and accept the gear. At the moment it's usually at choice between flushing everything down disposals, or letting people loot the corpse.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #49419

A robust cargo bay makes disposal flushing a viable option to returning things to departments...