TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

What is the HoP's place in the chain of command

Post by TZK13 » #55323

Central Command Update

DL-NT-Security-Retards

Org Chart:

Captain -> HoP -> Other Heads of Staff.

That's what SoS had to say in regards to me telling the HoP that he is not second in command over the issue of him releasing a prisoner if the Captain didn't object while we had an able HoS.

As can be seen on the wiki and what I had viewed as the established order the HoP is only second in command in terms of promotion when the Captain isn't available, he is not second in command in terms of being able to command the departments of other heads of staff.

Also I know it's the host of the server and everything but it's still best to establish this for IC interactions.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: What is the HoP's place in the chain of command

Post by Steelpoint » #55326

Well this is going to be fun.

As far as I know, from my entire time on this server, the Head of Personal has always been a equal to all other heads of staff. However, the Head of Personal is typically seen as the first in the line of succession if the Captain goes missing or dies.

If we want to make the Head of Personal the second in command, he needs to get a job and title change to a Lieutenant.
TZK13

Post by TZK13 » #55328

He also needs antag protection if he's going to be considered the second in command with power over every department.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #55329

My main concern with making the Head of Personal a new Lieutenant and as the acting second in command is essentially turning the HoP role into, what is essentially, a Head of Security who spends all his time guarding the Captain.

It would also mean we would have to create the Lieutenant as a separate role from the Head of Personal, who would still be managing cargo and the ID console.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #55330

It's exactly as you said, he's only above the other heads of staff in the absence of a captain. If there's a captain, he's the guy who can use the ID computers and manages cargo and service and he shouldn't try to interfere with other departments if their heads don't want to.

It only seems logical that the HoP should get antag protection, but the meta...
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #55338

I'll go ping SoS and direct him here to see if he's making a policy change, but currently the chain-of-command page on the wiki matches the policy I know.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #55865

The HoP is in charge of all the shitty civilian jobs nobody cares about when the captain is still alive, but takes over his responsibilities when they stop being alive, until then they are equal with the other heads and shouldn't be barging in to other departments and causing trouble if they don't want to get forcibly demoted by an irritated coworker.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #55899

Steelpoint wrote: As far as I know, from my entire time on this server, the Head of Personal has always been a equal to all other heads of staff. However, the Head of Personal is typically seen as the first in the line of succession if the Captain goes missing or dies..
This is how I've always know it as well. They are a head, like all other heads and therefore of equal 'power'. The only difference is, as you say, the HoP can step up as acting captain should the actual Captain not be on station or dead. I saw this mainly as the HoP's office is nearest the captains and also they have the ablitity to give themselves access should they need it.

As far as actual orders in other departments (such as prisoner stuff) the relevant HOD should still be in charage even if the HoP is acting Captain (i.e. the HoS would still deal with prisoner stuff with only the captain themselves ever overruling them).

I have to admit I acted like a superior and a bit asshole to the RD who took over as acting captain before the HoP (me at the time) was on station. I should have not done this (however they were also wearing the captains space helmet and carapace which seems like a dick move for when the captain finally shows up).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55976

peoplearestrange wrote:
Steelpoint wrote: As far as I know, from my entire time on this server, the Head of Personal has always been a equal to all other heads of staff. However, the Head of Personal is typically seen as the first in the line of succession if the Captain goes missing or dies..
This is how I've always know it as well. They are a head, like all other heads and therefore of equal 'power'. The only difference is, as you say, the HoP can step up as acting captain should the actual Captain not be on station or dead. I saw this mainly as the HoP's office is nearest the captains and also they have the ablitity to give themselves access should they need it.

As far as actual orders in other departments (such as prisoner stuff) the relevant HOD should still be in charage even if the HoP is acting Captain (i.e. the HoS would still deal with prisoner stuff with only the captain themselves ever overruling them).

I have to admit I acted like a superior and a bit asshole to the RD who took over as acting captain before the HoP (me at the time) was on station. I should have not done this (however they were also wearing the captains space helmet and carapace which seems like a dick move for when the captain finally shows up).
The real only reasons the HoP takes over for the captain in most cases is after the initial job changes and giving the roundstart antags access they shouldn't have, the HoP doesn't really have too much to do. Their departments are mostly self-managing and its very rare to see creative HoPs manage those departments directly (other than cargo I guess.) I have seen RDs and occasionally very ambitious HoSs take over captainship in place of the HoP for various reasons (mostly force of personality) so its not really a "rule" per se that the HoP instantly takes the crown when the king dies.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #55995

Always tried to follow the hierarchy a certain way myself, with some logic figured out over time. The hop isn't a Second in the sense that he is the literal Right Hand of the Captain, but that in the absence of the Captain, he is the one expected first to step up and fill said position. Now, there is a reason for this, and they are a couple good ones.

He, out of all the other Heads, has the access immediately at his fingertips to resolve the situation. It is expected/demanded that he vet and promote someone to his present position(nobody ever said it can't be a sec officer either but nobody ever seems to think of this) while uplifting himself to the captains position legitimately (this would mean closing the damn captain slot on the ID manifest so a new one doesn't appear like a good paper pusher should) to fulfill the security requirements of being Captain.

Why the hop and not the hos? Well other than the previous stated reason, the Hoss should be the last in line for ascension to cap. The Hoss has a long term goal of maintaining security/brig, which goes is on tier of importance to what the captain does himself if not more so. Matters of security should remain his responsibility for his entire tenure upon the station. There is slight overlap once an emergency is declared obviously with that of the captain, which is another reason why he should not assume Captainship; Too much power in one position.

The CE/CMO/RD likewise, each have important departments, but are all equally qualified to assume captainship in case of emergency and requiring some immediate actions, varying upon circumstances. This should not happen however as the hop should have been available to assume it properly while creating his replacement but things are not ideal. Heads who fight over the rank are demonstrating how unfit they are for said rank. A Captain will either assume command somehow without an argument or be hostile/powerful enough to simple take it without others bitching. The infighting has to be beneath him.

Rank tl;dr
Captain >- HoP >- CE/RD/CMO >- HoS
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56038

Gamarr wrote:Always tried to follow the hierarchy a certain way myself, with some logic figured out over time. The hop isn't a Second in the sense that he is the literal Right Hand of the Captain, but that in the absence of the Captain, he is the one expected first to step up and fill said position. Now, there is a reason for this, and they are a couple good ones.

He, out of all the other Heads, has the access immediately at his fingertips to resolve the situation. It is expected/demanded that he vet and promote someone to his present position(nobody ever said it can't be a sec officer either but nobody ever seems to think of this) while uplifting himself to the captains position legitimately (this would mean closing the damn captain slot on the ID manifest so a new one doesn't appear like a good paper pusher should) to fulfill the security requirements of being Captain.

Why the hop and not the hos? Well other than the previous stated reason, the Hoss should be the last in line for ascension to cap. The Hoss has a long term goal of maintaining security/brig, which goes is on tier of importance to what the captain does himself if not more so. Matters of security should remain his responsibility for his entire tenure upon the station. There is slight overlap once an emergency is declared obviously with that of the captain, which is another reason why he should not assume Captainship; Too much power in one position.

The CE/CMO/RD likewise, each have important departments, but are all equally qualified to assume captainship in case of emergency and requiring some immediate actions, varying upon circumstances. This should not happen however as the hop should have been available to assume it properly while creating his replacement but things are not ideal. Heads who fight over the rank are demonstrating how unfit they are for said rank. A Captain will either assume command somehow without an argument or be hostile/powerful enough to simple take it without others bitching. The infighting has to be beneath him.

Rank tl;dr
Captain >- HoP >- CE/RD/CMO >- HoS
We had a captain Janiborg once. That was pretty ok.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56045

Violaceus wrote:It is known that HoP was equal to other heads.

But you seem to forgot that this whole thread was caused by the host, who I think have authority to change things like that.
Actually its a vague quote of SoS probably simplifying things. Not putting words in SoS's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he's on the same page with this thread re: HoP being equal.
TZK13

Post by TZK13 » #56215

cedarbridge wrote:Actually its a vague quote of SoS probably simplifying things. Not putting words in SoS's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he's on the same page with this thread re: HoP being equal.
I didn't clarify it in the original post but SoS was playing as the HoP that I had told IC didn't have the authority to release a prisoner just because the Captain didn't object when we had a fully able HoS so no, SoS seemed to believe otherwise when he made no response to me IC and proceeded to call security retards in a Centcom announcement for thinking that way.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #56216

TZK13 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Actually its a vague quote of SoS probably simplifying things. Not putting words in SoS's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he's on the same page with this thread re: HoP being equal.
I didn't clarify it in the original post but SoS was playing as the HoP that I had told IC didn't have the authority to release a prisoner just because the Captain didn't object when we had a fully able HoS so no, SoS seemed to believe otherwise when he made no response to me IC and proceeded to call security retards in a Centcom announcement for thinking that way.
Maybe he was just frustrated at the time, its clear he had a stake in that situation that gave a hard bias towards one side.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #56218

AFAIK nothing has changed and the wiki is correct.

Things can change due to player interaction IC but the wiki holds the correct "canon" in this case.

If SoS wanted to change that we'd get a formal announcement about it. His centcom announcement is either mistaken, or just an ICly temporary change in command structure for that round.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #57973

I liked the idea of the HoP having authority over all heads except security, with the HoS reporting only to the captain.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #58019

CocaneStyle wrote:I liked the idea of the HoP having authority over all heads except security, with the HoS reporting only to the captain.
For what purpose? Also, >special treatment for the HoS
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #58968

Equal to over heads yet most convenient to appoint on short notice. If somethings is say killing captains convenience can become very important.

Also pretty sure heads job slots were considered "too important to close" when implementing the sadly toothless roster system.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #58980

cedarbridge wrote:
CocaneStyle wrote:I liked the idea of the HoP having authority over all heads except security, with the HoS reporting only to the captain.
For what purpose? Also, >special treatment for the HoS
Its CocaneStyle, he's the old new me of the ideas subforum.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #59322

It's simple. He's of equal rank to all the other head's of staff but first in line to be promoted to acting Captain in an emergency where the station is left without a Captain, or the odd round where there just isn't one yet.

In the event of the former, he should get a replacement HoP so someone is still there to fulfill his duties while he takes on the role of the Captain.
In the event of the latter, he should pull double duty as long as he can and hand authority back over to the Captain when they finally arrive.

I think the concept that the HoP holds authority over other heads is an old holdover from Goon and something people randomly keep adding into the wiki incorrectly as it gets revised or changes hosting.
I think on some other servers the chain of command works that way but as I understood it here for the last few years the HoP is intended to be on even footing as the other heads on /tg/station.
I say this as someone who played as HoP when I played on Goon ages and ages ago, and noticed the change when I first came here and played the role.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #59686

I have enjoyed times when a captain has died and the other heads agree they don't like the HoP/trust him enough to be captain and then strip him of his powers and promote one of themselves or just try to operate the station without a proper head of command. That said, when I've seen this the other heads had perfectly valid reason to do it and it shouldn't be encouraged at all.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #59729

I've always been a little torn on the issue of why the HoP gets promoted before the HoS.

Considering one is a paper pusher administrator and the other is the hero the station needs it always seemed kind of odd that the HoP suddenly can become the HoS' BoSS'.

...but then I remember that the HoS is the most overworked sunnavabitch on the whole station and suddenly dropping the leadership of the entire station on him as well probably isn't the best idea. So the HoP really is probably the best guy for the job in almost every situation.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: