On the host position

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

On the host position

Post by oranges » #81376

Can we talk about if we need a host position anymore?

If people are donating to pay the server bills, we really actually only need people who are technically competent to maintain the server infrastructure.

The host position IMO only made sense when SoS was still actually paying the bills, when you're only contributing technical knowledge and time I don't think you should have a policy say greater than say admins who also contribute their time and knowledge.

This would leave the headmins as elected by the three branches as the deciders of things.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: On the host position

Post by Stickymayhem » #81389

I think it's way more effective and stable to have a single person dealing with technical and financial stuff.

Headmins change every 6 months, it's awkward to have to change over control of everything every time, and determining which headmin has the actual keys to the server and all that. Nah.

This is literally just the most convenient option. It makes everything easier for everyone.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #81392

I'm not saying change the financial or technical setup.

I'm saying that the person responsible for those things shouldn't have final say. Let their words hold as much weight as an admin but the headmins have final say.

I'm perfectly willing to assume the risk of being the cardholder on the hosting account if it needs to come to that and not to have any say on the goings on.

Then we just need to ensure we have a decent set of competent technical people as sysadmin roles.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81444

I can agree with the host role being shared amongst the headmins, but I can't agree with that for as long as one of the headmins is from an independent organisation.

Might as well give Pomf remote access, although thats not a completely terrible idea given his auto update/auto restart script thingy.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #81448

Malkevin wrote:but I can't agree with that for as long as one of the headmins is from an independent organisation.
Host should really be someone that just makes sure its all going well and manages the physical stuff, not someone with any policy influence at all to stop them from trying to pull rank and all that shit, especially if one of the headmins is from an independent group.

Come to think of it, why do coderbus even get a headmin vote anymore, HG declared total independence and then spent his time fucking around with server policy. If you are going to build a wall and tell the other guys to fuck off you can't expect to be allowed to come over and tell people on the other side what to do.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #81449

coderbus get a headmin vote because SoS loaned his vote out to them, and the current batch of hosts can't be arsed to pick one themselves.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #81477

For this cycle at least it seemed pretty shifty to fuck over an established agreement over the election.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81527

Established once.
Originally it was just host picks
Then we had one cycle of two player elected headmins, that didn't work
Then we had one cycle of admin, player, coder elects.

The coder choice is probably going to be HG again, what did HG do last time aside from officially declare "it's our code base not yours"?
Sweet fuck all

Having an empty seat in a head min position defeats the entire point of having a triumvirate, better to have two player elected headmins and an admin elected headmin
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #81549

HG probably did more than we know. Not all the stuff the administration does is advertised, which some people have an issue with. I know HG, Anon and SoS were the ones who pushed the ERP ban.

But yeah, if HG intends to declare independence like that then there is absolutely no reason for coders to have a headmin position anymore. If they are already /tg/ admins then by all means let them run in the admin/player headmin elections.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #81551

How long until people decry MSO as a tyrant? Or the next unlucky fuck who tries out the mantle?

What the fuck guys, A small minority of the population is going to kill us.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #81553

ThanatosRa wrote:How long until people decry MSO as a tyrant? Or the next unlucky fuck who tries out the mantle?

I havent seen a single genuine insult directed at MSO since his ascension to host. Not on here, in-game, or on singulo. He hasnt even messed up yet as far as i know. The only people saying bad things right now would be the people who are NEVER going to be happy no matter what happens. Just ignore them.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #81558

Malkevin wrote:Established once.
Originally it was just host picks
Then we had one cycle of two player elected headmins, that didn't work
Then we had one cycle of admin, player, coder elects.

The coder choice is probably going to be HG again, what did HG do last time aside from officially declare "it's our code base not yours"?
Sweet fuck all

Having an empty seat in a head min position defeats the entire point of having a triumvirate, better to have two player elected headmins and an admin elected headmin
It was agreed before this election. We aren't going to pull the rug out from under coderbus a day before their vote
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81563

Because they're taking it oh-so-seriously?

Then maybe the elections should be postponed for a couple of weeks so that our new host can decide whether to honour that old agreement or not, instead of having to stare at the huge rift causing elephant in the room for another six months?
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #81583

Malkevin wrote:Because they're taking it oh-so-seriously?

Then maybe the elections should be postponed for a couple of weeks so that our new host can decide whether to honour that old agreement or not, instead of having to stare at the huge rift causing elephant in the room for another six months?
This man does have a point. The human they're trying to elect rarely takes on administrative duties on the server, rarely plays on the server(from my own observation, grain of salt etc), and literally less than a month ago ragequit from his position in which he's about to be reelected to.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #81588

Lack of willing candidates might be a part of it. There's exhaustive factors with dealing with the coder side of things, so to even WANT to deal with the admin side at the same time? Honestly I'd call someone who WANTED that a little crazy.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #81599

I don't think the coders are restricted to voting only other coders. They could easily vote for any of the candidates here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=38
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #81608

Stop derailing my thread nerds, make your own thread.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #81618

Well yeah but [CONJECTURE HERE I DON'T KNOW THIS] I think since it's their "representative" they'd want someone from the inside who they knew they were in cahoots with [/CONJECTURE].
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #81621

Jeb wrote:
Malkevin wrote:Because they're taking it oh-so-seriously?

This man does have a point. The human they're trying to elect rarely takes on administrative duties on the server, rarely plays on the server(from my own observation, grain of salt etc), and literally less than a month ago ragequit from his position in which he's about to be reelected to.
10/10
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81636

Incoming wrote:Lack of willing candidates might be a part of it. There's exhaustive factors with dealing with the coder side of things, so to even WANT to deal with the admin side at the same time? Honestly I'd call someone who WANTED that a little crazy.
Why does it have to be a coder maintainer, why should it be one of them?

The player choice wasn't restricted to only players, in fact anone made it so that it was difficult for a player to even run.
Callan is the only pure player that has been allowed to run, the other three are an ex admin and two people that ran a codebase
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #81637

I do think we should revisit giving coderbus a headadmin slot. I was always wary of giving coderbus a headmin position when coderbus has made it very clear that they do not consider themselves to be apart, or attached, to this community.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #81702

Alex Crimson wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:How long until people decry MSO as a tyrant? Or the next unlucky fuck who tries out the mantle?

I havent seen a single genuine insult directed at MSO since his ascension to host. Not on here, in-game, or on singulo. He hasnt even messed up yet as far as i know. The only people saying bad things right now would be the people who are NEVER going to be happy no matter what happens. Just ignore them.
Only because they haven't come yet.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #81706

Then there is no reason for doomsaying. MSO has handled the forum for a while now and has done a fine job of it, as far as i know. Hell, people were fine with Anon until he started getting involved in policy and disallowing certain things.

If in the end MSO cannot deal with the badmouthing, then the torch will just be passed to someone else. Worst case /tg/ shuts down and we all just find other servers to play on. SS13 will go on just fine no matter what happens here.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #81708

Alex Crimson wrote:Then there is no reason for doomsaying. MSO has handled the forum for a while now and has done a fine job of it, as far as i know. Hell, people were fine with Anon until he started getting involved in policy and disallowing certain things.

If in the end MSO cannot deal with the badmouthing, then the torch will just be passed to someone else. Worst case /tg/ shuts down and we all just find other servers to play on. SS13 will go on just fine no matter what happens here.
THERE IS TOTALLY REASON FOR DOOMSAYING. THERE IS ALWAYS DOOMSAYING.

And shitposting.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #81753

For the record the first thing Malk did when I became host was message me offering to create a group of his own coder friends or something if I would tell all of coderbus to fuck off and host whatever project he and his crew came up with instead, promising that he would be so much more loyal to me/the community/the illuminati/whatever.

Anything he is suggesting or condemning likely stems from the fact that he has a strong personal bias against coderbus and would rather be running that show himself.

Just a friendly heads up since this discussion was shown to me. There's an anonymous post he made somewhere on Singulo as well where he called me a pussy or something for not going along with it. It would be wise not to listen to him when it comes to how to best handle this situation since he is dedicated to ruining that relationship with coderbus and furthering his own project.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81914

I've been anything but secretive in my views, just look in the thread "Lack of Player input on changes" they're there for all to see and clear as crystal.
The only reason I approached you in secret is because I knew it was possible you'd say no, and it would probably kick off a massive shit storm. I wish I'd done it publicly now due how much of a sopping wet orifice you're being.

You make it sound like anyone that is currently/has worked with coderbus would be verboten, that they'd be exiled to some far off land.
Hell, I'd even allow Paprika to code again providing they don't act like a complete cunt and are willing to follow the same standards as everyone else and follow the "idea>design>feedback>code>feedback>merge>feedback>changes>feedback*repeat" system as everyone else.

I dont want that rift, I don't want a codebase that makes changes that everyone hates then turns around and says "Its not your codebase its ours".
But thats not the situation we're in, is it? I didn't create the rift, they did.

If the current coderbus is unwilling to listen to us, unwilling to change their ways, and maintain an independent stance then the only logical conclusion is that we fork the code and run off our own branch, start a clean slate.
We wouldn't lose any code from this, there's nothing stopping people working on both branches - those that want to code for just this server and its playerbase can do so, those that want to code for an independent codebase that they're in full control of and code for mythical downstreams can do so - everyone is happy.
But apparently you think trying to change a bad situation is terrible thing?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #81915

I guess that's the thing.

Maybe Coderbus doesn't listen to you?

They listened to me. I got some things changed here and then when I asked because I asked nicely and was able to talk out why I was asking for something reasonably and was also able to accept that sometimes I might ask for something to get changed and they would say "no" and that would be acceptable too.

Is that so unreasonable? Is it asking too much?

If you're at the point where you've burned that bridge so bad that your only recourse is to create a whole new coderbus that will listen to you...I'm thinking maybe the problem might actually be with you and not them?

Maybe Coderbus doesn't listen to you? Or anyone who thinks that coderbus owes them the game exactly the way you want it, and if they don't want to give you that that they should be replaced?
The only reason I approached you in secret is because I knew it was possible you'd say no, and it would probably kick off a massive shit storm
If you were worried about that why'd you go on singulo immediately afterward to shitpost that I'd turned down your offer? Judging by your actions then and how you're acting now it seems more likely you were worried about people knowing the lengths you'd go to get rid of coderbus.

I mean, one of the first things that anybody had to say when I became host was a scare that I would stonewall coderbus and revert the code back to pre-Goof. Practically the first official words out of my mouth as host were "I'm not gonna do that." So the idea that it would cause a massive shitstorm and you were protecting me? Nah, that's not possible. That it was a massive shitstorm and would protect the community? Nah, I just wrangled that same shitstorm immediately.

That it would be a massive shitstorm...for you?

I've had enough of this conversation as I'm sure you have too. I'll give you the last word on it but I've made my point. Your plan to "improve" the situation is to bulldoze it and draft people into some kind of workforce. Any "helpful insight" or criticisms you provide on the situation are going to be aimed at breaking up what we already have, undermining it however you can, to better position yourself to implement your own idea. Anything you to have to say on the issue is poison. You're setting yourself up to be the next Creed.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #81977

Well done you made the most abnormally pleasant person on the servers blow a gasket everyone
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #81979

On second thoughts, this thread is full of garbage, the hosting has changed hands again, this is no longer relevent and is simply becoming back and forth.
Locked.

EDIT: Stickys post above is referring to my deleted post fyi.

EDIT2: OK So i've been asked to reopen this by a few people. I'm gonna cut the crap out, but seriously, lets have a proper rational discussion on this since its obviously important.
Any personal attacks by ANYONE will be deleted.

EDIT3: (seriously) Ok So i've been requested to close this by a headmin. The thead has served its purpose, and if Im honest 90% of it was personal attacks between a few users back and forth and not actually a discussion of the original topic.
If a discussion of hosting needs to be had please make a new thread.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box